PDA

View Full Version : GM Phil Savage about to be fired?

ZootedGranny
12-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Pack your shit Carl, it's time to go:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2275447

The Cleveland Browns plan to fire senior vice president and general manager Phil Savage, NFL sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Friday.

The split is over "philosophical differences," primarily salary cap management. The announcement could come as early as Friday, Mortensen reported. Savage could not be reached for comment.

Atlanta Falcons chief administration officer Ray Anderson is a candidate to replace Savage, who joined the Browns on Jan. 6.

The Browns, who are 5-10 in coach Romeo Crennel's first season in Cleveland, play Baltimore on Sunday.

Savage spent the past nine seasons with the Baltimore Ravens organization, including 2003-04 as the Ravens' director of player personnel. He is known as one of the NFL's top talent evaluators.

In Baltimore, the 14-year veteran of the league, worked directly with general manager Ozzie Newsome to oversee college and pro scouting. While there, Savage was involved in many of the day-to-day operations of the team and also negotiated contracts of late-round draft picks.

Mecca
12-30-2005, 03:16 PM
A talent evaluater that's actually good at his job. I doubt the Chiefs know people like this even exist.

milkman
12-30-2005, 06:59 PM
A talent evaluater that's actually good at his job. I doubt the Chiefs know people like this even exist.

Good at his job?

Maybe on the defensive side, but where's the talent on offense in Baltimore?

Mr. Laz
12-30-2005, 07:09 PM

:hmmm:

like he said ... carl pack your chit, we got offense

Simplex3
12-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Good at his job?

He works for the Browns. The Baltimore O isn't his fault.

stumppy
12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please.

milkman
12-30-2005, 07:36 PM
He works for the Browns. The Baltimore O isn't his fault.

Read the article.

He joined the Browns in Jan, after spending nine seasons as the Ravens director of player personnel.

Simplex3
12-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Read the article.

He joined the Browns in Jan, after spending nine seasons as the Ravens director of player personnel.
Well f**k me running. ROFL

Amnorix
12-30-2005, 10:22 PM
I have no idea what the Browns are thinking. Savage was/is a pretty hot prospect at GM, having worked closely with Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore and developing what should be an extremely solid background for a GM gig.

To get poop canned after just one year is extremely odd indeed.

Mecca
12-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Good at his job?

I'd still take Baltimores drafts over ours hands down.

chefsos
12-30-2005, 10:42 PM
I have no idea what the Browns are thinking. Savage was/is a pretty hot prospect at GM, having worked closely with Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore and developing what should be an extremely solid background for a GM gig.

To get poop canned after just one year is extremely odd indeed.
:hmmm: He came in 2nd in some kind of a power struggle with Romeo Crennel?

Amnorix
12-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Ravens have had offensive talent. Ogden is among the top left tackles. Jamal Lewis was great, but so overused he's burnt out.

They had a serviceable QB -- not great, certainly, but serviceable enough to win a SB, so they promptly downgraded to a string of nobodies and have struggled worse since.

And, I would certainly imagine that the front office deferred to Billick quite alot on the offensive side of the ball, much to its detriment as he's done nothing for that offense.

Amnorix
12-30-2005, 10:45 PM
:hmmm: He came in 2nd in some kind of a power struggle with Romeo Crennel?

Possible. I believe RAC was hired before Savage, so he wasn't necessarily Savage's pick.

Seems strange to me that RAC and Savage couldn't work together. Both have some Bill Belichick background pedigree (Savage worked with Newsome, who was a Belichick guy back in Cleveland ....not sure if Savage worked for the old Browns too, but I seem to think he did).

chappy
12-31-2005, 12:58 AM
We don't need Phil Savage we need Michael Savage

RedDread
12-31-2005, 01:34 AM
I had to post it....

http://www.hoffco-inc.com/wwe/thist/wwe/wrld-savage02nd-1.jpg

chappy
12-31-2005, 01:50 AM
or this guy
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/buttpoemsdotcom/savage_fred5aa.jpg

greg63
12-31-2005, 03:34 AM
...Let's hope to be reading the same about Carl soon! :D

Ultra Peanut
12-31-2005, 03:58 AM
PACK
YO
SHIT CARL
PACK, YOU MISERABLE SHIT

Ultra Peanut
12-31-2005, 03:58 AM
On the other hand, the puns about a Chiefs GM named Savage...

PACK YO SHIT, CEEPEE

htismaqe
12-31-2005, 06:31 AM
Possible. I believe RAC was hired before Savage, so he wasn't necessarily Savage's pick.

Seems strange to me that RAC and Savage couldn't work together. Both have some Bill Belichick background pedigree (Savage worked with Newsome, who was a Belichick guy back in Cleveland ....not sure if Savage worked for the old Browns too, but I seem to think he did).

They all worked together in Cleveland. Every time Savage was rumored for a job (Jacksonville, Cleveland) Kirk Ferentz was linked in because of it...

Mr. Laz
12-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Well f**k me running. ROFL

ready,set,go!!