PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs New HC Should Be...

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:07 AM
Okay, DV appears headed into the sunset; and Saunders appears to be headed to Detroit. (Damn! :cuss: )

Herman Edwards seems to have a contract provision which allows him to nix the last two years, IF he does it within a brief window here soon.

And though Carroll and Weiss have recently signed extensions with their college teams, their buyouts aren't necessarily cost prohibitive if the Hunts really want either of them.

So, given a choice of the following head Coaches:

Who would you like to see become our next Head Coach, or at least who would you be content with as the new HC of the Chiefs?

Please give post your thoughts or reasoning.

tk13
12-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Until it's proven somebody else is in the mix, I am now firmly on the Herman Edwards train. I think he's way, way better than Butch Davis or Bob Stoops, who I'm guessing are options 2 and 3 at this point.

jspchief
12-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Is Marty Morningwheg available?

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Is Marty Morningwheg available?

He and Butch Davis would be other....

God help me, I'd consider becoming a Vikings fan with either of those two.... :banghead:

Frankie
12-31-2005, 12:21 AM
I would be very sad to see Saunders pissed away. I guess Cam Cameron would be my next candidate. Marty's 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense has been one of the more prolific 'Os' in the NFL. That just ain't right. Unless the OC is pretty damn good. Plus Cameron is from the Coryel school and would probably keep our 'O' system intact. Hopefully he has a better appreciation of defense than DV did, and most candidates out there probably do anyway.

tk13
12-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Of course, all these names could actually be a smokescreen so Carl can hire his real #1 choice, Gary Pinkel.

Frankie
12-31-2005, 12:24 AM
Of course, all these names could actually be a smokescreen so Carl can hire his real #1 choice, Gary Pinkel.

The owner of Pinkely Taures car dealership. ;)

greg63
12-31-2005, 12:25 AM
ůVoted Martz just for system familiarization.

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:27 AM

After the bowl victory, it's more likely at least....heh.

SNR
12-31-2005, 12:31 AM
What? No Steve Spurrier option?

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:35 AM
What? No Steve Spurrier option?

SNR....you KNOW he'll be wearing Black and Silver next year, man. Especially after Pinkel punked his ass today. Heh. :p

Frankie
12-31-2005, 12:36 AM
My choices are in this order:

1- Al Saunders (far and away)
2- Cam Cameron
3- Pete Carroll
4- Ron Rivera

After that list, I'll just be numb, with anger and frustration.

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:38 AM
My choices are in this order:

1- Al Saunders (far and away)
2- Cam Cameron
3- Pete Carroll
4- Ron Rivera

After that list, I'll just be numb, with anger and frustration.

Unless Rivera gets the nod, I suspect you are gonna have an unhappy off season. I haven't heard much about the possibility of Cameron....is there a basis for optimism with that speculation?

NJ Chief Fan
12-31-2005, 12:38 AM
other JIM FASSEL

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:40 AM
other JIM FASSEL

Are you being serious? :spock:

NJ Chief Fan
12-31-2005, 12:44 AM
Are you being serious? :spock:
whats wrong with jim fassel? he guided kerry collins to a super bowl

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:46 AM
whats wrong with jim fassel? he guided kerry collins to a super bowl

You could be right, but.....

Age is the big thing; and I'm not sure his "philosophy" would mesh with the personnel we have.

I just think there are better choices. Although, I could warm to Fassel under the right circumstances I suppose.

keg in kc
12-31-2005, 01:01 AM
I think I was making Herm Edwards predictions about this time last year, for an '06 hiring. Good or bad, I don't know.

Count Zarth
12-31-2005, 01:06 AM
My list:

Mariucci
Rivera
Stoops
Ferentz
Greg Williams

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 01:09 AM
My list:

Mariucci
Rivera
Stoops
Ferentz
Greg Williams

Why Mariucci? I'm just curious.

keg in kc
12-31-2005, 01:09 AM
There are two kinds of head coaches available:

1) Coaches who have failed
2) Coaches who haven't failed...yet

So I don't know that I can get myself more excited over one than another.

Count Zarth
12-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Why Mariucci? I'm just curious.

His work in San Francisco is exactly what we need.

He took over an aging 49ers team and did fairly well with them.

Then he rebuilt the team in two offseasons before the 49ers made the worst move in franchise history and dumped him.

He'd be walking into the same situation in KC...except we won't be in near as bad a shape as the 49ers were.

tk13
12-31-2005, 01:12 AM
My list:

Mariucci
Rivera
Stoops
Ferentz
Greg Williams
You attack me for liking Herm and Dick Vermeil, and you put Marucci at the top of your list? Haha...

Count Zarth
12-31-2005, 01:14 AM
You attack me for liking Herm and Dick Vermeil, and you put Marucci at the top of your list? Haha...

Go ahead and tell me why Mariucci sucks then. :rolleyes:

Count Zarth
12-31-2005, 01:15 AM
I don't have a #1 candidate, BTW. That list is in no particular order.

I'd be equally happy with any of them.

tk13
12-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Practices weren't tough, either. Routinely, players were leaving the Allen Park facility by mid-afternoon on most weekdays. Millen went nuts one day at practice, and the incident definitely undermined Mariucci with the coaching staff and the players. But from Millen's perspective, what was he supposed to do? He couldn't bear standing on the sidelines watching mistakes and a laissez-faire approach. In hindsight, he probably should have bit his lip a few times.

The bottom line was that Millen and Mooch weren't really a good fit.

After two days of practices under interim head coach Dick Jauron, the players are already working harder and staying later. Jauron has decided to start Jeff Garcia because he knows the players have lost confidence in Harrington. And he didn't need Dre Bly to tell him that fact. He's been hearing his defensive players tell him that all season long.

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 01:17 AM
His work in San Francisco is exactly what we need.

He took over an aging 49ers team and did fairly well with them.

Then he rebuilt the team in two offseasons before the 49ers made the worst move in franchise history and dumped him.

He'd be walking into the same situation in KC...except we won't be in near as bad a shape as the 49ers were.

Hmmmm. Interesting take. Really. I hadn't thought of that. And he didn't exactly have a huge amount of talent....

I still don't like him; he hasn't accomplished much, really. Isn't known as a Defensive coach. He's soft; isn't known for his discipline and control of the team....it's more of a gut feeling than anything.

But I can see what you are saying, I guess.

Count Zarth
12-31-2005, 01:20 AM
I still don't like him; he hasn't accomplished much, really.

That's EXACTLY what we need. Someone who is hungry.

Isn't known as a Defensive coach....it's more of a gut feeling than anything.

He had good defenses in San Francisco the majority of the time.

I don't think Carl will hire him anyway so it's a moot discussion.

keg in kc
12-31-2005, 01:24 AM
So you equate not accomplishing much with being hungry?

Interesting.

Let's hire the coach with the worst win percentage then. He should be starving.

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 01:25 AM

Interesting.

Are you available Kyle? I'd like to be a DC in the NFL.....I AM hungry, FWIW. :hmmm:

Heh. ROFL

kregger
12-31-2005, 01:26 AM
Other = BUtch Davis. Funny how he spent time at Chiefs practices ala Vermeil when GC was still coach :hmmm:

keg in kc
12-31-2005, 01:27 AM
I'd hire you to push the laundry cart. If you begged.

Count Zarth
12-31-2005, 01:27 AM

Interesting.

ROFL

Each situation is different. Obviously I'm not reccomending the Chiefs hire Rich Kotite or Marty Moronwig.

Mariucci was CLOSE in San Francisco. He had that team in the playoffs four out of six years, which is more than Dick 4 Meal can say for sure.

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 01:28 AM
Other = BUtch Davis. Funny how he spent time at Chiefs practices ala Vermeil when GC was still coach :hmmm:

I sure as hell hope not. I just don't get a warm 'n fuzzy AT ALL with him. Hell, I'd rather go with ANYONE on the list over him....

I hate Miami; and his stint in Cleveland didn't impress anybody...

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 01:30 AM
I'd hire you to push the laundry cart. If you begged.

Damn. Wow. :sulk:

Count Zarth
12-31-2005, 01:30 AM
Basically Mooch is walking into the same situation in KC that he had in San Francisco....it's almost identical, except we won't have huge salary cap issues. We will have to rebuild the offense though:

Mariucci took over in San Francisco with a veteran-laden squad that included 2005 Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young and future hall-of-fame wide receiver Jerry Rice. He maintained their success by winning 25 out of 32 games (13-3 in 1997 and 12-4 in 1998) in his first two seasons.

The organization then faced serious salary cap issues and was forced to turn over the roster at an unprecedented level for a period of time.

After forging through two atypical but foreseen down seasons (four wins in 1999 and six wins in 2000), he put the 49ers back into contention with two straight playoff appearances with a 12-4 record in 2001 and an NFC West title with a 10-6 record in 2002.

kregger
12-31-2005, 01:33 AM
I sure as hell hope not. I just don't get a warm 'n fuzzy AT ALL with him. Hell, I'd rather go with ANYONE on the list over him....

I hate Miami; and his stint in Cleveland didn't impress anybody...
I agree, nothing about Butch wows me. It still makes me terrified that he was in camp participating in practices.

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 01:34 AM
I agree, nothing about Butch wows me. It still makes me terrified that he was in camp participating in practices.

Let's hope it was nothing, then. :shake:

Count Zarth
12-31-2005, 01:35 AM

Butch Davis might as well be a clone of Gunther.

Jim Jones
12-31-2005, 02:05 AM
RIVERA.. we need some defensive minded coach on this team, period.

htismaqe
12-31-2005, 05:29 AM
I voted for everybody except Marriuci, Fisher, and Martz.

I'll be so ****ing glad if anybody other than DV is our head coach.

Rausch
12-31-2005, 06:00 AM
Dom Capers and Gunther aren't on that list.

"I am Jack's inability to hide a grin from ear to ear..."

Corn
12-31-2005, 07:59 AM
John Madden

htismaqe
12-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Dom Capers and Gunther aren't on that list.

"I am Jack's inability to hide a grin from ear to ear..."

I seriously hope you keep bringing up Gunther because you think it's funny to watch everyone squirm...

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 09:36 AM
I seriously hope you keep bringing up Gunther because you think it's funny to watch everyone squirm...

As much as I've liked Gunther in the past, we need to move on.

It would be akin to marrying your first wife again (for a second time), after you divorce her sister. Hell, isn't that against the law even? :hmmm:

HC_Chief
12-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Cowher

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Cowher

No way he's leaving Pittsburgh, IMHO.

HC_Chief
12-31-2005, 09:44 AM
No way he's leaving Pittsburgh, IMHO.

Probably not.... but he has been then an awfully long time. Might be time for a change of scenery ;)

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Probably not.... but he has been then an awfully long time. Might be time for a change of scenery ;)

I'd be fine with it; but many of those dreading an Edwards hire....would also dread Cowher. :hmmm:

SNR
12-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Probably not.... but he has been then an awfully long time. Might be time for a change of scenery ;)There should be a change of scenery rule in the NFL.

Because that's the only way we're going to get rid of Carl :banghead:

dirk digler
12-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Jimmy Johnson

dr00d
12-31-2005, 10:34 AM
all I know is that if st00pid gets the job, the chiefs will lose some of their fanbase in manhattan. (even though we aren't really chief fans apparently)

Thig Lyfe
12-31-2005, 10:43 AM
I like Herm. I don't care who knoweds it.

Chan93lx50
12-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Jimmy Johnson

I would accept that one!

mdstu
12-31-2005, 11:27 AM
I read in an article that Jim Mora Jr is getting pretty sick of Vick and the Falcons are not to happy about missing the playoffs the last 2 years. It said a coaching change there is not to far out of the question.

I think I would be pretty happy if Jr took over in KC. For some reason I think that guy has got it. You can just see it in him on the sideline.

the Talking Can
12-31-2005, 11:31 AM
timing is everything...honestly, our options kind of suck...I wish we had Marvin Lewis...I'd rather give AS a shot over everyone on that list but maybe Rivera...

jspchief
12-31-2005, 11:32 AM
timing is everything...Agree. We picked a bad year to need a coach.

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 12:04 PM
I read in an article that Jim Mora Jr is getting pretty sick of Vick and the Falcons are not to happy about missing the playoffs the last 2 years. It said a coaching change there is not to far out of the question.

I think I would be pretty happy if Jr took over in KC. For some reason I think that guy has got it. You can just see it in him on the sideline.

I'm intrigued by Mora Jr. He does seem to "have it."

That said, I really doubt he'll be available this year.....maybe next though.

rtmike
12-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Williams or Rivera with OC Charlie Joiner keeping the offense struming along.

Hydrae
12-31-2005, 01:51 PM
I think it is interesting that the only post that mentions Fisher is one saying no to him. But he is the top vote getter in the poll and the only one I voted for on that list.

CHIEF4EVER
12-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Weiss, Carroll or Fischer. None of which will be available.

Sybil
12-31-2005, 04:19 PM
I think it is interesting that the only post that mentions Fisher is one saying no to him. But he is the top vote getter in the poll and the only one I voted for on that list.
That is interesting. Fisher has been a very good coach. I don't see Carl and he being able to work together, though.

banyon
12-31-2005, 04:47 PM
"Mike Martz HC, STL"

Is this description still accurate?

Shouldn't it be:

Mike Martz-lingering, eccentric weirdo, STL

Lurch
01-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Since Fisher & Weiss really aren't available, looks like Williams, Rivera, Edwards or Stoops, according to this place.

phxchief
01-01-2006, 04:59 AM
RIVERA.. we need some defensive minded coach on this team, period.

Agreed... at least with the latter part of your post. Not sure about Rivera himself.

We need some fresh ideas, particuarly defensively, and a guy who's not afraid to take names and kick ass.

4th and Long
01-01-2006, 05:01 AM
I need to be added to the poll. Gaz needs competition, not to mention the fact I'm tired of dealing with nurses and dead people.

VOTE FOR ME!

Lurch
01-01-2006, 08:20 AM
I need to be added to the poll. Gaz needs competition, not to mention the fact I'm tired of dealing with nurses and dead people.

VOTE FOR ME!

Hey, can I be you DC? I promise Hicks, Bartee, and Woods are gone. Bell will have to accept a pay cut to stay. I'll demand a decent DT, and at least one more DE that can pressure the QB. And I'm gonna shove my size 13 shoe up CP's ass if he comes anywhere near me on the sideline, once the season starts.

4th and Long
01-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey, can I be you DC? I promise Hicks, Bartee, and Woods are gone. Bell will have to accept a pay cut to stay. I'll demand a decent DT, and at least one more DE that can pressure the QB. And I'm gonna shove my size 13 shoe up CP's ass if he comes anywhere near me on the sideline, once the season starts.
You're hired! Please sign your contract on the line provided below.

X __________________________________

Sybil
01-01-2006, 10:22 AM
The more I read and hear about Herman Edwards, the more I'm thinking he isn't going anywhere. Unless he has that "out" in his contract for the last two years. No one on the net or in the coverage this morning is talking about that though. All they are talking about is Edwards using this pursuit by the Chiefs, to leverage his demands for a contract extention with the Jets.

Mr. Laz
01-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Okay, DV appears headed into the sunset; and Saunders appears to be headed to Detroit. (Damn! :cuss: ).
Saunders will stay... all we have to do is offer him the job.

Rausch
01-01-2006, 10:36 AM

I keep bringing it up because Peterson does.

He's hired him once already, brought him back, and stuck up for him.

Last time when Marty left Capers and Gun were on the short list.

This time when DV is leaving Gun and Capers will again be options.

It doesn't matter how I feel about it, we're talking about who is likely to be the next HC.

My dream scenerio would be the Tuna leaving Dallas and landing here.

What I think is most likely is Herm, Gun, and Capers. In that order...

Mr. Laz
01-01-2006, 10:44 AM
i think that list is pretty close to correct

Sybil
01-01-2006, 11:03 AM
i think that list is pretty close to correct

Herm is on the radar, but I sure hope Gun and Capers are way, way down on the list.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 11:53 AM
I keep bringing it up because Peterson does.

He's hired him once already, brought him back, and stuck up for him.

Last time when Marty left Capers and Gun were on the short list.

This time when DV is leaving Gun and Capers will again be options.

It doesn't matter how I feel about it, we're talking about who is likely to be the next HC.

My dream scenerio would be the Tuna leaving Dallas and landing here.

OK.

I was beginning to get worried that you actually WANTED Gunther to be HC again. I was going to recommend some medication and a psyche appointment...

Mr. Kotter
01-01-2006, 03:31 PM
...What I think is it's most likely is Herm, Gun, and Capers. In that order...

Herm, okay, I could live with. However, what I'm reading in the NY papers makes that seem unlikely.

Gun and Capers? I'd friggin' want to hire someone fire-bomb CP's office. :shake:

:banghead:

chiefqueen
01-01-2006, 04:20 PM
He and Butch Davis would be other....

God help me, I'd consider becoming a Vikings fan with either of those two.... :banghead:

We could hire Tice and have "The Love Boat" theme playing during coach and player introductions.

Mr. Kotter
01-01-2006, 04:31 PM
We could hire Tice and have "The Love Boat" theme playing during coach and player introductions.

I live in Viking country. THAT would not be good. Tice may do okay somewhere else, but he needs to re-establish himself first.