PDA

View Full Version : & so it begins....Herm

Wile_E_Coyote
12-31-2005, 11:27 AM
<A name=284577>Jets | Edwards wants contract extension
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:05:12 -0800Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl) head coach Herman Edwards (http://www.kffl.com/player/1976/nfl) would like to have a contract extension, despite having two year remaining on his current contract. Edwards fears the Jets' rebuilding job is more than a one-year undertaking and Edwards would like some security. Representatives for Edwards are expected to meet with Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl) owner Woody Johnson after the season ends and Edwards may want out if Johnson refuses to give him an extension.

nychief
12-31-2005, 11:28 AM
the wheels are turning.... you are correct.

FringeNC
12-31-2005, 11:33 AM
the wheels are turning.... you are correct.

Will he get his extension? What's the buzz around there? Will Herm be the Jets coach next year?

jspchief
12-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Will he get his extension? What's the buzz around there? Will Herm be the Jets coach next year?He's laying the groundwork for an excuse to quit and go to KC.

FringeNC
12-31-2005, 11:42 AM
He's laying the groundwork for an excuse to quit and go to KC.

That's what it sounds like. I was wondering if the NY'er had any gut feelings about it from what he was hearing.

the Talking Can
12-31-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm going to start crying now, so I can be crying when it becomes official.

cdcox
12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Yeah, its starting to look scarey true.

FringeNC
12-31-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm going to start crying now, so I can be crying when it becomes official.

The Jets could always give him the extension. It could be Herm is just exploiting the rumors.

nychief
12-31-2005, 12:23 PM
That's what it sounds like. I was wondering if the NY'er had any gut feelings about it from what he was hearing.

They are saying that he could very well be on his way here. Bill Rhoden basically said in the paper today that Herm should think long and hard about the KC job if it is offered - the idea being that KC is closer than the Jets (rebuilding). I don't know - a lot of the same stuff we hear on the KC end, denials and skirting the issue.

FringeNC
12-31-2005, 01:07 PM
I hope Herm isn't wedded to the West Coast offense.

cdcox
12-31-2005, 01:13 PM

I thinks the Jets dumped the WC when the dumped Hackett. Pennington was talking about still learning the new offense when we played the Jets in Sept.

tk13
Herm actually did this a couple years ago... exact same thing, and they gave it to him. That was after the last season where Pennington was hurt and they had a losing record...

FringeNC
I thinks the Jets dumped the WC when the dumped Hackett. Pennington was talking about still learning the new offense when we played the Jets in Sept.

I think Heimerdinger is another WC guy, but I am not sure.

tk13
12-31-2005, 01:15 PM
He sure torched Gunther when we played the Titans last year... with Billy Volek and Drew Bennett no less....

htismaqe
12-31-2005, 01:17 PM

He wasn't when he played in Philly or in the various places he coached. Much like Marty, I think Herm's offense reflects whoever his OC is...

Mr. Kotter
12-31-2005, 01:19 PM
He wasn't when he played in Philly or in the various places he coached. Much like Marty, I think Herm's offense reflects whoever his OC is...

Exactly right.

cdcox
12-31-2005, 01:19 PM

Yeah, you're right, although Heimerdinger did add more down field throws.

We certainly don't have the WR for a west coast offense.

kcfanXIII
12-31-2005, 01:44 PM
i'm not looking to get lynched here, but what is everyone's problem with herm edwards. i'm not saying i'm for the guy at all, or anything like that, but i just haven't heard any real good reasons to think he's a terrible coach. maybe he can bring some discipline in for this defense. it just seems to me, that everyone hates edwards cause its apparently the popular opinion.

nychief
12-31-2005, 01:47 PM
i'm not looking to get lynched here, but what is everyone's problem with herm edwards. i'm not saying i'm for the guy at all, or anything like that, but i just haven't heard any real good reasons to think he's a terrible coach. maybe he can bring some discipline in for this defense. it just seems to me, that everyone hates edwards cause its apparently the popular opinion.

I don't. He is a good coach and a great leader, and it is about time we have a black head coach. That being said, I would rather have someone else coach this team.

nychief
12-31-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.sportsattic.com/nflphoto/photos11/Edwards,Herman5.jpg

kcfanXIII
12-31-2005, 01:52 PM
what i want is someone to come in, use the pieces (for the most part) that DV has left behind, and win a super bowl. ala tampa w/gruden. worry about rebuilding later. who is available that could do that?

tk13
12-31-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm a big Herm fan. He usually has good defense, good discipline, seems to draft well and make solid value FA pickups, not afraid to play young players. I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with him other than people don't like how he handles press conferences, and here on ChiefsPlanet that's about 50% of your coaching grade. :) I could care less if he screams, rants, raves, wears underwear on his head, whatever... just put a good football team on the field.

cdcox
12-31-2005, 01:55 PM

I don't want anyone from Marty's coaching tree, because of post season ineptitude:

Marty Schottenheimer: 5-12
Bill Cowher 8-9 (star of the class)
Tony Dungy 5-7
Herm Edwards 2-2
Overall: 20-30

That is a total of 30 appearances without a single Super Bowl win. Just by random chance they should have won at least 2 or 3. By random chance they should have appeared in at least 5 Superbowls, but they only have one to their credit. They are doing worse than random chance. It is not random, it is their style.

Edwards is the least accomplished of the Marty family, but already early in his career he is showning a remarkable ability to screw up playoff games. He and Marty had a real tug of war in their game last year, and it was unclear to the very end who wanted to lose the game the most. While Marty prevailed to retain his title of greatest choker ever, Herm exerted his chokatude the following week by blowing a 7 pt 4th quarter lead by blowing not one but two game-winning field goals.

tk13
12-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Yeah, those field goals were Herm's fault.

FringeNC
12-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Most Jets' fans don't want Herm back:

...from the Jets' site Gang Green:

THE CASE AGAINST HERMAN EDWARDS AND TERRY BRADWAY
Written by Gary Sparago (12/28/2005)

Introduction: Connecting the Dots
The popular notion these days among the fans, media, and sadly, even the coaching staff itself, is that injuries are entirely to blame for the Jets' 3-12 record in 2005. In our opinion, the team's disastrous performance to date has little to do with injuries, and everything to do with systematically bad judgment on the part of the Head Coach and General Manager over the past five years. We believe as owner of this franchise, you need to take a step back and ask yourself one simple question: Is the team better off today than it was five years ago? We think the answer to that question is an unequivocal "no." Under the direction of Herman Edwards and Terry Bradway, it is increasingly evident that the Jets are regressing. To be blunt, we believe the performance of these two individuals does merit contract extensions. Indeed, it is remarkable that there are actually members of the media who advocate that Edwards' contract - which runs through 2007 - be extended....

the Talking Can
12-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Edwards team's are inconsistent just like ours under DV...plus he hired Hackett, and he's from the loin of Marty...my impression, fair or not, is that his teams have underachieved...only Butch Davis and Gunther are worse choices....but hey, maybe God will lead him to 5 superbowls with the Chiefs just to spite me....

cdcox
12-31-2005, 02:00 PM
Yeah, those field goals were Herm's fault.

I used to believe that it wasn't Marty's fault.

jspchief
12-31-2005, 02:01 PM
I kind of question Edwards' ability to evaluate talent. They threw too much money at a noodle armed QB, and then let one of the more explosive WRs in the league go in favor a possesion guy. He does seem to know defensive talent though.

He's certainly not the worst candidate. I'm just not a fan of Head coach retreads.

tk13
12-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah right, like I'd listen to a bunch of pissed off Jets fans. Injuries have little to do with it? I mean, you have to play through them, but let's be serious, even Bill Belichick would have a terrible record if he had to go to his 4th or 5th QB.

the Talking Can
12-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Edwards is a safe choice for CP...he's not likely to gamble on a noob coordinator like Rivera (or Lewis etc...)

FringeNC
12-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Would Herm retain Gunther?

tk13
12-31-2005, 02:08 PM
I used to believe that it wasn't Marty's fault.
Yeah but Marty's an idiot. In 95 he put it in the hands of a kicker that missed three extra points during the season. Last year he did the same thing with a rookie kicker. Herm did it with a 10-ish year vet who had kicked in a Super Bowl, and had been something like 17-19 from the 40 yard range the previous two years. I defended his decision then, and I'd defend it now too I guess... he had the kicker with the best numbers in the entire NFL from that range, to give him two shots at a win isn't all that crazy I don't think.

Tribal Warfare
12-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Edwards is a safe choice for CP...he's not likely to gamble on a noob coordinator like Rivera (or Lewis etc...)

This is what scares me the most, and that's keeping the status on defense

the Talking Can
12-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Would Herm retain Gunther?

only if God hates us...which he probably does....keep Gun and lose Saunders....brilliant

Skip Towne
12-31-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't. He is a good coach and a great leader, and it is about time we have a black head coach. That being said, I would rather have someone else coach this team.
I'm not sure he's black enough.

FringeNC
12-31-2005, 02:13 PM
only if God hates us...which he probably does....keep Gun and lose Saunders....brilliant

With Herm, I don't think we know what we are getting until he hires his coordinators. If we got Solari/Shea as OC, and a good DC (not Gun), I wouldn't have a problem with Herm. If we breakup this offensive system, and keep Gun, hiring Herm will be a disaster.

cdcox
12-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Yeah but Marty's an idiot. In 95 he put it in the hands of a kicker that missed three extra points during the season. Last year he did the same thing with a rookie kicker. Herm did it with a 10-ish year vet who had kicked in a Super Bowl, and had been something like 17-19 from the 40 yard range the previous two years. I defended his decision then, and I'd defend it now too I guess... he had the kicker with the best numbers in the entire NFL from that range, to give him two shots at a win isn't all that crazy I don't think.

But the week before, the Jets had the game won, and that LB comes in with just an insanely blatent late hit on Brees, to breathe new life into the Chargers. If it were anyone but Marty, Jets would have lost that game.

Edwards didn't make that late hit. But crap like this ALWAYS happens to Marty and his disciples. I've had enough of that agony.

tk13
12-31-2005, 02:16 PM
But the week before, the Jets had the game won, and that LB comes in with just an insanely blatent late hit on Brees, to breathe new life into the Chargers. If it were anyone but Marty, Jets would have lost that game.

Edwards didn't make that late hit. But crap like this ALWAYS happens to Marty and his disciples. I've had enough of that agony.
Eh, that late hit call was pretty tough, I don't think it was that over the line. That's just the kind of stuff that comes with being a Chiefs fan. :)

Seriously, just like the playoff game a couple years ago... how many times did Mort ever miss a FG under 40.... didn't miss one all year, until the playoffs. Priest never fumbles... until the playoffs. And on and on. That's just because we're cursed. :)

Seriously though, Herm's teams are always among the least penalized in the league. That's another one of the things I like about him.