PDA

View Full Version : It's Official...

VonneMarie
12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Posted on Sat, Dec. 31, 2005

Chiefs coach Vermeil to retire after season
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Dick Vermeil told his players and staff in a tearful message Saturday night that he will retire as the Chiefs’ head coach at the end of the season.

That means today’s game against Cincinnati could be his last.

Lynn Stiles, the Chiefs’ vice president for football operations, told The Star that Vermeil informed the players at a previously scheduled team meeting at an Overland Park hotel. Speculation has been thick all week that Vermeil would retire after today’s game, but he closely guarded his plans until Saturday night.

The Chiefs could reach the playoffs by beating the Bengals at Arrowhead Stadium and having the Detroit Lions beat the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Stiles was in the meeting Saturday. He said Vermeil appeared at peace with his decision.

“I know so,” Stiles said. “It’s not a think.

“He referred to (the fact) ‘I did not want the highs and lows of winning and losing to determine what I do.’ It’s the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it’s the right thing to do for the organization.”

Vermeil declined an interview request, preferring to spend what could be his final night as a head coach with players, staff, family and friends.

Stiles described the meeting as emotional. Vermeil develops closer relationships with his players than most coaches. He remains friends with players he coached several years ago.

“Every man in that room I guarantee will not forget what just happened,” said a red-eyed Stiles. “Each man in his own right has a relationship with Dick Vermeil, and I dare say most of them can’t look back and say they’ve had this kind of relationship. I guarantee they haven’t had it in the National Football League.”

Replacement candidates could include New York Jets coach Herman Edwards, Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders, Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.

The 69-year-old Vermeil coached the Chiefs for five seasons and will take a 43-36 regular-season record into his final game. The Chiefs won the AFC West championship in 2003, but lost their playoff game to the Indianapolis Colts at Arrowhead Stadium. That was the only time Vermeil guided the Chiefs into the playoffs.

Vermeil’s Chiefs were among the elite offensive teams of their era. With an offense led by Saunders, the Chiefs were usually among the league leaders in points and yardage and consistently stocked the AFC’s Pro Bowl team with stars like halfbacks Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, tight end Tony Gonzalez and offensive linemen Willie Roaf, Will Shields and Brian Waters.

But the Chiefs were able to make the playoffs only the one time because of a deficient defense. After the defense underperformed in 2002, pressure mounted on Vermeil to fire the defensive coordinator, Greg Robinson.

Vermeil, ever loyal to his assistants, stayed with Robinson in 2003. The Chiefs won their first nine games, but lost four of their next eight, including the playoffs, after their defense collapsed.

Vermeil accepted Robinson’s resignation after the season and brought in an old hero, Gunther Cunningham, to coach their defense the following year. But Cunningham, who guided many of the great Chiefs defenses of the 1990s, was unable to make any difference.

The Chiefs were again woeful on defense in 2004 and, despite high expectations entering the season, finished a disappointing 7-9.

This season, the Chiefs were at one time 8-4, but December losses in Dallas and New York left them relying on the help of others to make the playoffs.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13526445.htm

nascher
12-31-2005, 10:58 PM
even if we reach the playoffs he should wait a little bit.

Count Alex's Wins
12-31-2005, 11:00 PM
This is GREAT!

We can hire Bob Stoops to coach the team during our playoff run.

We'll be seeing a different team in the playoffs for sure!

Guru
12-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Dick Vermiel will annouce his retirement Sunday following the Chiefs game, per Metro Sports.

Ummm, that really makes a lot of sense since Detroit hasn't played yet.

VonneMarie
12-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Ummm, that really makes a lot of sense since Detroit hasn't played yet.
I know it dosen't, but thta's what Metro Sports ran as a "breaking news" type of thing.

Guru
12-31-2005, 11:04 PM
It really does say that. That is nuts. At least wait to say it until you know the season is over. Guess he has NO confidence in Detroit. ROFL

Ari Chi3fs
12-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Sweet bring in Herman Martz Stoops Lewis in!!1

VonneMarie
12-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Now they're saying "In the near future." Any of you KC locals see it?

chiefsfaninNC
12-31-2005, 11:06 PM
It really does say that. That is nuts. At least wait to say it until you know the season is over. Guess he has NO confidence in Detroit. ROFL

He isn't the only one.

cdcox
12-31-2005, 11:09 PM
Now they're saying "In the near future." Any of you KC locals see it?

Sounds like Chiefs PR office got on the horn and straightened them out. Classic.

nascher
12-31-2005, 11:11 PM
smelling Herm already.

BigRedChief
12-31-2005, 11:39 PM
And the KC Star has it on their website, too. It's official:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13526445.htm

by ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Dick Vermeil told his players and staff in a tearful message tonight that he will retire as the Chiefs’ head coach at the end of the season.
That means Sunday’s game against Cincinnati could be his last.
Lynn Stiles, the Chiefs’ vice president for football operations, told The Star that Vermeil informed the players at a previously scheduled team meeting at an Overland Park hotel. Speculation has been thick all week that Vermeil would retire after today’s game, but he closely guarded his plans until Saturday night.
The Chiefs could reach the playoffs by beating the Bengals at Arrowhead Stadium and having the Detroit Lions beat the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Stiles was in the meeting Saturday. He said Vermeil appeared at peace with his decision.
“I know so,” Stiles said. “It’s not a think.
“He referred to (the fact) ‘I did not want the highs and lows of winning and losing to determine what I do.’ It’s the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it’s the right thing to do for the organization.”
Vermeil declined an interview request, preferring to spend what could be his final night as a head coach with players, staff, family and friends.
Stiles described the meeting as emotional. Vermeil develops closer relationships with his players than most coaches. He remains friends with players he coached several years ago.
“Every man in that room I guarantee will not forget what just happened,” said a red-eyed Stiles. “Each man in his own right has a relationship with Dick Vermeil, and I dare say most of them can’t look back and say they’ve had this kind of relationship. I guarantee they haven’t had it in the National Football League.”
Replacement candidates could include New York Jets coach Herman Edwards, Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders, Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.
The 69-year-old Vermeil coached the Chiefs for five seasons and will take a 43-36 regular-season record into his final game. The Chiefs won the AFC West championship in 2003, but lost their playoff game to the Indianapolis Colts at Arrowhead Stadium. That was the only time Vermeil guided the Chiefs into the playoffs.
Vermeil’s Chiefs were among the elite offensive teams of their era. With an offense led by Saunders, the Chiefs were usually among the league leaders in points and yardage and consistently stocked the AFC’s Pro Bowl team with stars like halfbacks Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, tight end Tony Gonzalez and offensive linemen Willie Roaf, Will Shields and Brian Waters.
But the Chiefs were able to make the playoffs only the one time because of a deficient defense. After the defense underperformed in 2002, pressure mounted on Vermeil to fire the defensive coordinator, Greg Robinson.
Vermeil, ever loyal to his assistants, stayed with Robinson in 2003. The Chiefs won their first nine games, but lost four of their next eight, including the playoffs, after their defense collapsed.
Vermeil accepted Robinson’s resignation after the season and brought in an old hero, Gunther Cunningham, to coach their defense the following year. But Cunningham, who guided many of the great Chiefs defenses of the 1990s, was unable to make any difference.
The Chiefs were again woeful on defense in 2004 and, despite high expectations entering the season, finished a disappointing 7-9.
This season, the Chiefs were at one time 8-4, but December losses in Dallas and New York left them relying on the help of others to make the playoffs.

Count Alex's Wins
12-31-2005, 11:41 PM
This team is going to play the game of their lives tomorrow.

Bwana
12-31-2005, 11:42 PM
YES!

Guru
12-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Yeah, imagine the tears that would flow after a 5 game winning streak.

jspchief
This has all the makings for a classic Chiefs moment where the Steelers lose, and so do the Chiefs.

VonneMarie
Have fun in Napa, Vermiel. :toast:

:redface:

Count Alex's Wins
12-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Have fun in Nepa, Vermiel. :toast:

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Guru
12-31-2005, 11:46 PM
This has all the makings for a classic Chiefs moment where the Steelers lose, and so do the Chiefs.

I don't see the Chiefs losing now. They will play their hearts out for him.

VonneMarie
12-31-2005, 11:48 PM
No way the Chiefs lose now.

SLAG
12-31-2005, 11:49 PM

damn im glad you posted that and not me.

That is my biggest Fear right now

The Lions Win but So do the Bung-Holes

Ive been dredding this for days ive been wanting to say it on here but I knew I would get bomed for it if it really happend

Logical
12-31-2005, 11:54 PM
Great news, thanks BiggRedChief:clap:

KCFalcon59
12-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Let the speculation hit overdrive.

VonneMarie
12-31-2005, 11:58 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/48/Bill_Callahan_NU.jpg/200px-Bill_Callahan_NU.jpg

Guru
12-31-2005, 11:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Count Alex's Wins
01-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Happy ****ing new year.

dtebbe
01-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Have fun in Napa, Vermiel. :toast:

:redface:

Now all he needs is:

1. a big hairy chest
2. a fat gold chian
3. a 79 Trans-Am
4. a girlfriend that looks like a dude

And MAYBE Dick could get HIS pic taken with Andre Rison! ROFL

You DID mean NEPA, not NAPA right???

Happy New Year!

DT

P.S. Mods watch out for a handle DVprez

HemiEd
01-01-2006, 12:06 AM
I just hope they are joking with the Bob Stoops talk, this is New Years not April 1st.

Guru
01-01-2006, 12:08 AM
I just hope they are joking with the Bob Stoops talk, this is New Years not April 1st.

I have never understood the lovefest surrounding Stoops. Seems like most college head coaches fail at this level. Especially if they wear visors.ROFL

dtebbe
01-01-2006, 12:09 AM
I have never understood the lovefest surrounding Stoops. Seems like most college head coaches fail at this level. Especially if they wear visors.ROFL

I would never hire a dude who's name rhymes with poops.... but that's just me.

DT

dirk digler
01-01-2006, 12:10 AM
I am excited for the future but I am kinda sad as well because I wish we could have won a SB with Vermeil and the talent we had on O.

BTW the news is showing on ESPN and the NFL Network

Guru
01-01-2006, 12:11 AM
I am excited for the future but I am kinda sad as well because I wish we could have won a SB with Vermeil and the talent we had on O.

Technically, as of right now, we still can.ROFL

HemiEd
01-01-2006, 12:12 AM

Good call on the visor (spurrier), Stoops won a National Championship with inherited players. I hope Carl is not that stupid, a lot of better canidates out there.

dirk digler
01-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Technically, as of right now, we still can.ROFL

I give our chances at about .05%

Guru
01-01-2006, 12:13 AM
I give our chances at about .05%

I would definitely agree with that. :banghead:

philfree
01-01-2006, 12:33 AM
That's to bad. I hoped he would give it one more year. Now I'm hoping that our O don't crumble.....DV is an offensive guru and he is the one responsible for the Rams offense and our offense. #1 offenses......Some of the best ever. Yes our D has sucked but next year when we suck on both sides of the ball that will be worse.

PhilFree:arrow:

KcMizzou
01-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I give our chances at about .05% So... you're saying we have a chance...

tk13
01-01-2006, 12:45 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060101/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_chiefs_vermeil_retiring_4

An unnamed player confirms it with the AP.

ChiefsFire
01-01-2006, 12:51 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060101/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_chiefs_vermeil_retiring_4

An unnamed player confirms it with the AP.

William Bartee

chiefsfan1963
01-01-2006, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=philfree]That's to bad. I hoped he would give it one more year. Now I'm hoping that our O don't crumble.....DV is an offensive guru and he is the one responsible for the Rams offense and our offense. #1 offenses......Some of the best ever. Yes our D has sucked but next year when we suck on both sides of the ball that will be worse.

nice post. very sad. I want Carl out of here!!!!!!!!!

:cuss:

Lurch
01-01-2006, 01:03 AM
:deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

Guess I'm a bit late, but WTF...

PLEASE DON'T GO

by Casey & the Sunshine Band

I'll miss you
Yeah
Dick, I'll miss you so
I want you to know
That I'm going to miss your tears
The minute you walk out that door
(Chorus)
So please don't go
Don't go
Don't go away
Please don't go
Don't go
I'm begging you to stay
One More Year
At least in my life time
To have one dream come true
We've been blessed with an of-fense
That lights up the scoreboard, you know-ow.
(Chorus)
Hey, hey, hey
Yeah
Babe, I'll miss you so
I, I want you to know
That I'm going to miss your BS
The minute you walk out that door
So please don't go
Don't go
Don't go away
Hey, hey, hey
I need your smile
I'm down on my knees
Beggin' please, please, please
Don't go
Don't you hear me Dickie
please don't go

Don't leave me now
Oh, no, no, no, no
Please don't go
I want you to know
That I, I, I, love you so
Don't leave me baby
Please don't go

Lurch
01-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Here's the Sporting News take:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20060101/691981-p.html

Chiefs' Vermeil to retire after season
January 1, 2006

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday that he will retire as coach at the end of the season, The Kansas City Star reported.

Lynn Stiles, the Chiefs' vice president for football operations, told the newspaper that the 69-year-old Vermeil informed his players and coaches about his decision at a team meeting.

Stiles, who was at the meeting, said Vermeil appeared at peace with his decision.

"I know so. ... It's the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it's the right thing to do for the organization," Stiles said.

Kansas City (9-6) could reach the playoffs by beating Cincinnati at home Sunday and having Detroit beat Pittsburgh.

The Star said Vermeil declined an interview request, preferring to spend what could be his final night as a head coach with players, staff, family and friends. Vermeil's wife, Carol, told The Associated Press that he was not available for comment.

Vermeil, in his fifth season with the Chiefs, took the 1980 Philadelphia Eagles to the Super Bowl, and won the Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams after the 1999 season. He retired after the Super Bowl win and returned to the NFL in 2001 with the Chiefs.

He's 43-36 with Kansas City and led the Chiefs to the AFC West title in 2003, the only time the team has advanced to the playoffs in his tenure. The former UCLA head coach is 124-114 in 15 seasons in the NFL with Philadelphia (1976-82), St. Louis (1997-99) and Kansas City.

The emotional California native, who maintains a small winery in the Napa Valley, has a unique distinction among of coaches. He has been honored as a coach of the year at the high school, junior college, major college and NFL level.

He took UCLA to the Rose Bowl in 1975 and upset No. 1 Ohio State, allowing Oklahoma to grab the national championship later that night by winning in the Orange Bowl.

He guided the Eagles, his first NFL team, to their first playoff appearance in 12 years and then led the 1980 team to the Super Bowl.

After a 14-year absence, which he spent as a football broadcaster, he returned to coaching and took the Rams to the Super Bowl title in only three years. He abruptly retired a few weeks later and was persuaded by Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson, an old friend from his UCLA and Philadelphia days, to take over in Kansas City.

In recent weeks Vermeil has sounded as though he was headed into retirement.

"At my age, I'm not concerned about job security or worrying about the next job," he said recently. "My concern is doing the job that (owner) Lamar Hunt deserves. Hey, the AFC Championship trophy is named after him. Physically, I feel fine. Hey, we all have some aging problems, prostate problems and what not."

He also kept saying that his retirement from the Rams had been impulsive and that this time he would give his decision long consideration.

"Our kids are all raised and our grandkids are all raised. So (the team) sort of becomes our kids," he said. "When I went to the Rams, I'd been out of it for 14 years. I was swimming. You can imagine not doing what you do for 14 years and all of a sudden start doing it again. Every day was an education."

His retirement will not please most of his players, who had been hoping he would return for at least one more year.

Guru
01-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Hell, it is just the same article getting posted on all the national sites. Why keep creating new threads for it?:shake:

Lurch
01-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Hell, it is just the same article getting posted on all the national sites. Why keep creating new threads for it?:shake:

This was the first thread...

Guru
01-01-2006, 01:26 AM
$hit, so it was. :shake: Looks like the "Last post" button bit me in the a$$.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-01-2006, 02:20 AM
This Blows! When we have the old martyball offense back you people will long for what we had. Of course the chances of that happening are what? about the same as The mighty Lions Roaring over the steelers today?

SteveRobWhatever
01-01-2006, 03:07 AM
Dick Vermeil Tells Chiefs He Will Retire After This Season
Source: GridironFans.com [ Full Article (http://www.gridironfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=19200) ]

Dick Vermeil will retire after the season as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, one of his players told The Associated Press on Saturday night. The player, who asked that his name not be used until after the announcement was official, said he was present when Vermeil broke the news during a team meeting earlier in the day. The Kansas City Star first reported that Vermeil was leaving, quoting team official Lynn Stiles. The 69-year-old Vermeil, the NFL's oldest head coach, could end his career on Sunday when the Chiefs (9-6) face Cincinnati in their final regular-season game. But Kansas City could still make the playoffs with a win and Pittsburgh loss to Detroit. Stiles, who was at meeting, said Vermeil appeared at peace with his decision. "I know so. ... It's the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it's the right thing to do for the organization," said Stiles, the Chiefs' vice president for football operations. Vermeil's wife, Carol, told the AP that he was not available for comment.

Guru
01-01-2006, 03:11 AM
"I know so. ... It's the right thing for him to do, for his family, and it's the right thing to do for the organization,"

Hmm, almost sounds like forced scenario. :hmmm:

CHIEF4EVER
01-01-2006, 04:47 AM
That's to bad. I hoped he would give it one more year. Now I'm hoping that our O don't crumble.....DV is an offensive guru and he is the one responsible for the Rams offense and our offense. #1 offenses......Some of the best ever. Yes our D has sucked but next year when we suck on both sides of the ball that will be worse.

PhilFree:arrow:

Exactly, and most of the folks here who want him gone haven't thought this thing that far through. I would prefer to give him another year or 2 to do something with the D. If he don't make it then, bye bye.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 06:13 AM

Well, except for Denny Green, Bill Walsh, and of course Dick Vermeil. And then there's John Fox, Bill Parcells, and the list goes on.

Everybody sees Steve Spurrier and instantly says college head coaches aren't cut out for the NFL.

What many of them don't know is how many college head coaches there are coaching in the NFL and that many of them are successful.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 06:14 AM

He's emotional, not senile. :D

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Exactly, and most of the folks here who want him gone haven't thought this thing that far through. I would prefer to give him another year or 2 to do something with the D. If he don't make it then, bye bye.

He's had 5 years. That's more than enough time. Even Vermeil himself would tell you that.

DTLB58
01-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't see the Chiefs losing now. They will play their hearts out for him.

Well at least the Offense will.

VonneMarie
01-01-2006, 10:19 AM
He's had 5 years. That's more than enough time. Even Vermeil himself would tell you that.
5 years, 1 playoff appearance, 0 playoff victories.

That's all you need to know.

jjchieffan
01-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Good call on the visor (spurrier), Stoops won a National Championship with inherited players. I hope Carl is not that stupid, a lot of better canidates out there.

You know, I just don't understand that logic. I am not advocating Stoops, but, hey, if he can come in here and when a championship next year with DV's players, then I am all for it. Besides, It isnt the head coaches job to get the players in the NFL. It is the GM's. That said, I am still pulling for AS.

CHIEF4EVER
01-01-2006, 10:39 AM
He's had 5 years. That's more than enough time.

Sure. That's why CP is still here. His 5 year plan worked to perfection di'n't?

HemiEd
01-01-2006, 10:44 AM
You know, I just don't understand that logic. I am not advocating Stoops, but, hey, if he can come in here and when a championship next year with DV's players, then I am all for it. Besides, It isnt the head coaches job to get the players in the NFL. It is the GM's. That said, I am still pulling for AS.

The logic is that I do not respect anything that Stoops has done, period. I feel there are a many more qualified canidates, Saunders being my first choice and Ron Rivera second.

jspchief
01-01-2006, 10:45 AM
This Blows! When we have the old martyball offense back you people will long for what we had. Of course the chances of that happening are what? about the same as The mighty Lions Roaring over the steelers today?You make it sound like the fans that wanted Vermeil gone actually had a say in the matter.