PDA

View Full Version : Dick, Al... and Will

tk13
01-01-2006, 12:24 AM
It's gonna be a sad day at Arrowhead. Sad day. Hopefully we can pull out a win.

Good luck in retirement DV. I know I'm the only remaining one to think this but DV has always been one of my favorite coaches. If nothing else he's a good guy, probably deserves better. Maybe somehow we can find a way to keep this team alive to play another week.

Good luck to Al. Odds are he'll be somewhere else this time next year, maybe Detroit, we'll see. Either way, Al and DV have built one of the most consistent offenses in NFL history here in KC. With a bunch of castoffs like Trent, Priest, Roaf, Waters, and Kennison that other teams didn't want, no less. We might never see this again. They probably don't get enough credit for that accomplishment. I'm sure Al will land on his feet wherever he ends up.

And most importantly... no one is even talking about Will Shields. Today could very well be it for him, he almost didn't come back this year, and chances are he might not come back next year.

At the least, it could be his last game in Arrowhead Stadium. This guy has been at the core of the Chiefs offensive line for over a decade, and has not missed a single game since the 2nd game of his rookie season in 1993, when Joe Montana was our QB. You could go on and on... over 200 consecutive games played, 11 straight Pro Bowls. Just amazing numbers. This is one of the greatest offensive linemen in the history of professional football. If he does indeed choose to hang 'em up he will be missed. I hope there's some way he can be recognized at Arrowhead today.

Guru
01-01-2006, 12:25 AM
He will be.

HemiEd
01-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Well Said tk13, Happy New Year. :(

Deberg_1990
01-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Very well said TK. I feel pretty much the same way. Its too bad DV could never quite get it done. Bittersweet day tommorow indeed.

KcMizzou
01-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Indeed... the end of an era.

chiefsfan1963
01-01-2006, 12:43 AM

Good luck in retirement DV. I know I'm the only remaining one to think this but DV has always been one of my favorite coaches. If nothing else he's a good guy, probably deserves better. Maybe somehow we can find a way to keep this team alive to play another week.

Good luck to Al. Odds are he'll be somewhere else this time next year, maybe Detroit, we'll see. Either way, Al and DV have built one of the most consistent offenses in NFL history here in KC. With a bunch of castoffs like Trent, Priest, Roaf, Waters, and Kennison that other teams didn't want, no less. We might never see this again. They probably don't get enough credit for that accomplishment. I'm sure Al will land on his feet wherever he ends up.

And most importantly... no one is even talking about Will Shields. Today could very well be it for him, he almost didn't come back this year, and chances are he might not come back next year.

At the least, it could be his last game in Arrowhead Stadium. This guy has been at the core of the Chiefs offensive line for over a decade, and has not missed a single game since the 2nd game of his rookie season in 1993, when Joe Montana was our QB. You could go on and on... over 200 consecutive games played, 11 straight Pro Bowls. Just amazing numbers. This is one of the greatest offensive linemen in the history of professional football. If he does indeed choose to hang 'em up he will be missed. I hope there's some way he can be recognized at Arrowhead today.

I thought I was the only retard, moron, idiot, and tool on this board! :)

Great post! We'll have a very interesting offseason w/ retirements of players, new HC hired, firing and hiring of assistants, free agency acquisitions, the upcoming draft, etc.....

KcMizzou
01-01-2006, 12:44 AM
It's gonna be a sad day at Arrowhead. Sad day.

ROFL I just caught this. Was that intentional, or are you channelling DV?

shaneo69
01-01-2006, 01:51 AM

Yep, and it'll be the last game at Arrowhead for shaneo69. Well, at least until Carl Peterson is gone. Today is a sad day.

BTW, Derrick Thomas would've been 39 today.

stevieray
01-01-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm usually stoked for games, this morning I'm just bummed.

:(

HemiEd
01-01-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm usually stoked for games, this morning I'm just bummed.

:(

Me too, I wish the news would not have gotten out. IMO the Chiefs are much better for what he has done for the team. He brought them a long way from the mess that they were when he took over.

mlyonsd
01-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Sad day, probably so. But I'm glad to be looking forward to a different future.

We need new blood.

phxchief
01-01-2006, 07:51 AM
He brought them a long way from the mess that they were when he took over.

Um, how?

He took 7-9/9-7 teams with a fluke 13-3 season to... oh, wait, 7-9/9-7 teams with a fluke 13-3 season.

He didn't do jack.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 09:10 AM
I had alot of hope for this team when Vermeil took over.

Even though that's pretty much gone, I appreciate what the guy has done for this franchise.

After such a long wait, we finally got to find out what it was like to actually have an offense. We to feel what it was like to have actual feature back, and not only that, but the BEST feature back.

jidar
01-01-2006, 10:09 AM
I wanted him to stay.
So what if he's an offensive coach, at least he's a really really good one. Odds are our next coach isn't going to be this good on either side of the ball because coaches like that are rare.

siberian khatru
01-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I wanted DV to go. He's had enough time to get at least something done.

That said, once the news sunk in overnight about him officially leaving, I'm a little melancholy about it. He's a good guy; I don't hold any personal animosity toward him. Plus, you get used to having a guy around for five years, it's kind of weird to have to start adjusting to change.

I wish DV only the best. I wish he'd succeeded here. But this isn't personal, it's business.

As I said a week or two ago, I think DV is only part of the problem. Carl is the bigger obstacle to a SB. Unfortunately, he's not going anywhere. So my illogical fandom takes over and I have to hope, against all evidence, that Carl somehow makes the right choice in replacing DV.

CHIEF4EVER
01-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I wanted him to stay.
So what if he's an offensive coach, at least he's a really really good one. Odds are our next coach isn't going to be this good on either side of the ball because coaches like that are rare.

Exactly. And all the folks who wanted to see him go because of some knee jerk reaction need a reality check. We have NEVER had an offense like this one in our teams history. Given a few more pieces to the puzzle this year on D we could take it all.

PHOG
01-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Exactly. And all the folks who wanted to see him go because of some knee jerk reaction need a reality check. We have NEVER had an offense like this one in our teams history. Given a few more pieces to the puzzle this year on D we could take it all.

If we had a healthy team all year long, I wonder what everyone's feelings towards DV would be. :hmmm: