PDA

View Full Version : How in the Hell can you be excited Vermiel is leaving....

CrazyHorse
01-01-2006, 07:36 AM
...when you have no idea who the new coach is?

I understand someone wanting a change or being dissatisfied with where we are. I can also understand someone who wants Vermiel to stay. But what I cannot understand is those who are cheering at the idea of Vermiel leaving when they have no idea whether it's good news or not. I guess the spector of a new coach coming in and winning 3 games a year, is better than dealing with what Coach Vermiel has to offer.

Are you people really that short sighted? Or do you have some agenda your trying to justify?

Mile High Mania
01-01-2006, 07:41 AM
I think a change at HC will be good for you guys... Vermeil has been there long enough to make something positive happen and the fact is, he's failed at what he was supposed to do.

KC has a mix of old vets and solid youth, but will likely be better off having another HC come and and build his own system as they replace the aging veterans and focus on the future.

I'm not saying "rebuilding" b/c I think KC is on the verge of doing something great, but I do think that the team needs new direction.

Unfortunately for you guys, Peterson doesn't appear to be going anywhere... so, it will be really interesting to see what type of person they can bring in as HC.

Happy New Years, fellas.

mlyonsd
01-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I think a change at HC will be good for you guys... Vermeil has been there long enough to make something positive happen and the fact is, he's failed at what he was supposed to do.

Yup. If only Hunt would recognize it might be time for Peterson to go as well.

phxchief
01-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Because most coaches are better, or at least no worse, than Vermeil. Most coaches could give us one playoff season in 5 years with the talent we've had.

And it's not just the lack of success. It's the way it happens. Losing sucks, losing like we do is even worse.

And if Millen is still in Detroit despite ALLLLLL that media/fan hate, there's next to no chance Peterson is going to get canned.

CrazyHorse
01-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Because most coaches are better, or at least no worse, than Vermeil. Most coaches could give us one playoff season in 5 years with the talent we've had.

Most coaches are better? Buddy, you're in for a rude awakening.

I conceed there may be better coaches in this league. But to say "most are better" is bit overstated.

We did go to the playoffs in 03 and should have gone this season. I feel injuries are the single reason we did not make it this season. Vermiel may not have produced a legit contender for the SB, but he has produced a playoff caliber team. He did it in a relatively short time after his hire. I still consider this a good team.

I am not against the idea of looking at our other options. But I am less than excited, because I have no idea what we are getting in return or what that means. And because I think Vermiel is a top tier coach, I dont feel his presence will be easily replaced.

It's not automatic by any stretch.

nascher
01-01-2006, 08:27 AM

sorry but thats not true !!! There are Teams in the NFL who are far worse and changing HC's all the time and getting nowhere.

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 08:28 AM
.Or do you have some agenda your trying to justify?

yeah, it's called "Winning a ****ing Super Bowl"

CrazyHorse
01-01-2006, 08:33 AM
yeah, it's called "Winning a ****ing Super Bowl"

As far as I know 31 out of 32 head coaches will fail your criteria this season. I'm betting the one that wins it this year will not be available.

milkman
01-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm excited about Dick Vermeil leaving becaus I never wanted him here to begin with.

I said 5 years ago that he would not duplicate what he accomplished in StL.

He had years of high draft picks that mutured, a cream puff schedule, and a weak division and conference.

He didn't have any of those here in KC, except that cream puff schedule in '03.

I'm excited about Dick Vermeil leaving, because the chance exists that a HC will come in that holds his players accountable for piss poor play, and his coaching staff accountable for piss poor coaching.

Does the possibility exist that Carl will bring in someone worse?

Sure it does.

But the chance that Carl will bring in someone better also exists, now that Dick is leaving, and that is exciting to me.

Of course, it is Carl, so I will admit that chance is minimal at best.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 09:19 AM
As far as I know 31 out of 32 head coaches will fail your criteria this season. I'm betting the one that wins it this year will not be available.

There's the lamest of lame arguments.

Coaching in the NFL isn't about ONE season.

Vermeil had FIVE and he couldn't even win a playoff game, let alone sniff the Super Bowl.

31 out of 32 teams in a SINGLE year don't win a Super Bowl.

Since DV became coach, FIFTEEN teams have won a playoff game. That's HALF the league.

CrazyHorse
01-01-2006, 09:22 AM

Vermeil had FIVE and he couldn't even win a playoff game, let alone sniff the Super Bowl.

Since DV became coach, FIFTEEN teams have won a playoff game. That's HALF the league.

But there have only been what....3 or 4 coaches win the Superbowl since he won his last one, right? Is that arguement better?

Besides the quote was a direct answer to a reference about the Superbowl, not the playoffs.

Fruit Ninja
01-01-2006, 09:22 AM
I am not really excited about it. I wanted him back for 1 more year. IF this is indeed true, then Goof Luck on the rest of your life Vermeil.

hmm... GO DETROIT!

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 09:23 AM

what does that have to do with anything?

J Diddy
01-01-2006, 09:23 AM
I am not really excited about it. I wanted him back for 1 more year. IF this is indeed true, then Goof Luck on the rest of your life Vermeil.

hmm... GO DETROIT!

Goof Luck?

is that a jinx or something?

J Diddy
01-01-2006, 09:24 AM
what does that have to do with anything?

It is the criteria that was listed.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 09:24 AM
But there have only been what....3 or 4 coaches win the Superbowl since he won his last one, right? Is that arguement better?

The goal is the Super Bowl. He fell short.

The problem for me is HOW FAR he fell short.

If Dick Vermeil was successful in his 5 years here, then Marty Schottenhemier belongs in the HoF.

J Diddy
01-01-2006, 09:26 AM

If Dick Vermeil was successful in his 5 years here, then Marty Schottenhemier belongs in the HoF.

He made this team into a pretender which was a step up from the BS I saw on the field Gun's last game as head coach.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 09:27 AM
He made this team into a pretender which was a step up from the BS I saw on the field Gun's last game as head coach.

> bad ≠ good

J Diddy
01-01-2006, 09:28 AM
> bad ≠ good

bad>worse

CrazyHorse
01-01-2006, 09:32 AM

Your misinterpretting the point. The point is not whether he should or should not be replaced. I am not argueing one way or the other on that issue. The point is that people are excited about something they have no idea what it is.

They act as though Vermiel is the bottom of the barrel. That isn't the case. If you want Vermiel gone, I can respect that. However, I am not understanding just exactly what you know that I dont that has you excited. Do you know who the replacement is? Or do you subscribe to the opinion that anyone on the mareket is better than Vermiel?

DTLB58
01-01-2006, 09:41 AM

I understand someone wanting a change or being dissatisfied with where we are. I can also understand someone who wants Vermiel to stay. But what I cannot understand is those who are cheering at the idea of Vermiel leaving when they have no idea whether it's good news or not. I guess the spector of a new coach coming in and winning 3 games a year, is better than dealing with what Coach Vermiel has to offer.

Are you people really that short sighted? Or do you have some agenda your trying to justify?

You know what? It dosen't really matter either way until CP is gone.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Your misinterpretting the point. The point is not whether he should or should not be replaced. I am not argueing one way or the other on that issue. The point is that people are excited about something they have no idea what it is.

They act as though Vermiel is the bottom of the barrel. That isn't the case. If you want Vermiel gone, I can respect that. However, I am not understanding just exactly what you know that I dont that has you excited. Do you know who the replacement is? Or do you subscribe to the opinion that anyone on the mareket is better than Vermiel?

I'm of the opinion that anyone is better than Vermeil.

Not because he's a bad coach, but because he's the worst possible choice for THIS team. He had his run and it's time to move on.

DTLB58
01-01-2006, 09:42 AM

:clap:

siberian khatru
01-01-2006, 09:45 AM

KC has a mix of old vets and solid youth, but will likely be better off having another HC come and and build his own system as they replace the aging veterans and focus on the future.

I'm not saying "rebuilding" b/c I think KC is on the verge of doing something great, but I do think that the team needs new direction.

Unfortunately for you guys, Peterson doesn't appear to be going anywhere... so, it will be really interesting to see what type of person they can bring in as HC.

Happy New Years, fellas.

Nice.

J Diddy
01-01-2006, 09:47 AM
:clap:

:bang::clap:

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 09:48 AM
change is exciting....

this will be a great off-season for the fan: speculation about the new coach, new DC, new OC, new schemes...it will help keep us warm in teh cold off-season..

of course, we'll probably get stuck with Herm Edwards...which sucks whale balls...

phxchief
01-01-2006, 10:03 AM

I conceed there may be better coaches in this league. But to say "most are better" is bit overstated.

We did go to the playoffs in 03 and should have gone this season. I feel injuries are the single reason we did not make it this season. Vermiel may not have produced a legit contender for the SB, but he has produced a playoff caliber team. He did it in a relatively short time after his hire. I still consider this a good team.

I am not against the idea of looking at our other options. But I am less than excited, because I have no idea what we are getting in return or what that means. And because I think Vermiel is a top tier coach, I dont feel his presence will be easily replaced.

It's not automatic by any stretch.

Are you telling me that there are coaches relative to the situation (don't bring up bums like Norv Turner because he's not an option) that couldn't come here and (1) win a playoff game in five years, or (2) at least make the playoffs in more than one season out of five?

That was my point.

Say some dude comes in, leads us to two average/good years, then gets us a post-season appearance in year 3, following it up with 2 average/good years...... that's what I said: "no worse than Vermeil".

To be better than Vermeil, you don't have to do all that much. Come in, take us to 2 playoff appearances in 5 years and you've topped Vermeil's body of work. Or win a game and you've embarrassed Vermeil and what he accomplished.

Replacing Edwards in NY would be a little different. It's much harder to come in and say someone else can be better, given that he delivered 3 post-season appearances WITH a victory in 5 years. It ain't gonna be tooooo difficult to top what Vermeil has done.

VonneMarie
01-01-2006, 10:06 AM

It's easy. Like this... PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

PHOG
01-01-2006, 10:09 AM

Man, that's just..depressing. :cuss:

DJay23
01-01-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm ecstatic that he's leaving. Dick Vermeil is the coaching equivalent of a giant walking vagina. He coaches off of emotion more than anything. Sometimes it serves you well ('03, Denver, San Diego, Washington this year) and sometimes it doesn't (last year, Philly, Buffalo, Dallas, NYG this year). What you end up with is a .500 coach who gets you absolutely nothing but middle of the round draft picks and continued mediocrity.

I'm happy for a change.

old_geezer
01-01-2006, 10:11 AM
:deevee: is leaving. PBJ PBJ PBJ

Not hard at all.

splatbass
01-01-2006, 10:13 AM
I agree that it is time for a change - even though I think Vermiel is a good coach. The problem I have is I don't see a whole lot of candidates that I have any faith are better.

Edwards? Marty part II. Williams? Maybe, but his record in Buffalo isn't encouraging. Stoops? No NFL experience. Mariucci? Doesn't really excite me. Could be good. Could just as easily be bad. Plus we have to rely on CP to make the decision. I don't have a good feeling about that either.

KC Jones
01-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Probably the single biggest benefit is that a new coach will punt Giunta and other hold overs from the Robinson/Vermeil defensive staff. At least he would if he has permission to choose his coaches - you never know with Peterson at the helm. That's the guy who I'd be really excited about getting a retirement announcement from.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-01-2006, 10:21 AM
i am ready for a change, but i can't say i'm excited about the available coaches out there.

dirk digler
01-01-2006, 10:27 AM
i am ready for a change, but i can't say i'm excited about the available coaches out there.

That is kinda how I feel.

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I agree that it is time for a change - even though I think Vermiel is a good coach. The problem I have is I don't see a whole lot of candidates that I have any faith are better.

that's the only qualms I have...the available coaches are underwhelming and CP won't take a risk with a guy like Rivera...CP would rather be safe and mediocre in the long run than risky and great...

BigMeatballDave
01-01-2006, 10:32 AM

It's not automatic by any stretch.Dude. One play-off appearance in 5 seasons. Don't let the door hit you in the ass, DV...

PHOG
01-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Probably the single biggest benefit is that a new coach will punt Giunta and other hold overs from the Robinson/Vermeil defensive staff. At least he would if he has permission to choose his coaches - you never know with Peterson at the helm. That's the guy who I'd be really excited about getting a retirement announcement from.

Whoa, how long does it take to be the coach of the worst(or close to it) pass _efense in the LEAGUE, to FINALLY lose your job?

5 years? :shrug: If there is 1 positive thing about :deevee: retiring, at least we'll FINALLY get rid of that retart, Guinta, Giunta, however you want to spell it..it always comes out vagina. :mad: :mad:

See ya looser.. rochambeau

Mr. Laz
01-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Or do you have some agenda your trying to justify?
now what kind of agenda could we possibly have?

you think we are all Faider fans in disguise or something ... just trying to screw the chiefs over?

:rolleyes:

Vermeil didn't get the job done, some people are ready to move on.

no conspiracy theory needed

CHIEF4EVER
01-01-2006, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=the Talking Can]that's the only qualms I have...the available coaches are underwhelming and CP won't take a risk with a guy like Rivera..[QUOTE]

Yet the overwhelming majority want to see a coach gone that has taken 2 teams to the big dance. Hmmmm.....:hmmm:

milkman
01-01-2006, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=the Talking Can]that's the only qualms I have...the available coaches are underwhelming and CP won't take a risk with a guy like Rivera..[QUOTE]

Yet the overwhelming majority want to see a coach gone that has taken 2 teams to the big dance. Hmmmm.....:hmmm:

He took two teams not named the Chiefs to the big dance.

He barely got the one team named the Chiefs to sock hop.

chiefs4me
01-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm not throwing a party because he is leaving, but I am also not to upset about it...seems to me, he isin't the coach for us......:shrug:

chiefsfan1963
01-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Vermiel is one of our great coaches. I wish he would stay and finish the job. Our D has been his achilles heel and I believe much of the problem was Carl not getting him the players on D when needed and waited to only this past offseason to bring in some aging vets. I understand DV shares some of the responsibility, but all he needs to do is get this D to a top 20 and we're a SB contender every year. This is the tragedy in my mind and the only redeeming factor is if AS gets the nod and can carry on DV's legacy and continue where DV left off and get the D to a Top 20 ranking.

milkman
01-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Vermiel is one of our great coaches. I wish he would stay and finish the job. Our D has been his achilles heel and I believe much of the problem was Carl not getting him the players on D when needed and waited to only this past offseason to bring in some aging vets. I understand DV shares some of the responsibility, but all he needs to do is get this D to a top 20 and we're a SB contender every year. This is the tragedy in my mind and the only redeeming factor is if AS gets the nod and can carry on DV's legacy and continue where DV left off and get the D to a Top 20 ranking.

Aging vets?

Let's see.

Knight, 29?

Surtain, 29.

Bell, 26.

Yeah, all aging vets.

plbrdude
01-01-2006, 12:26 PM

i like vermeil myself, but as head coach he should have made life miserable for the front office about the defense. two years running with the worst d in the league should have had the the whole organizations attention. the "head coach" should have been screaming for players.
the whole defensive upgrade should have been started after the 01 season. but then again what do i know?