PDA

View Full Version : Wha-wha-what? Solari under contract?

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Gretz just said Mike Solari has 1 year left on his contract, IHRC.

Why would Solari have a contract that's not coterminous with the rest of the staff?

Maybe Carl is smarter than we thought.

MichaelH
01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Gretz just said Mike Solari has 1 year left on his contract, IHRC.

Why would Solari have a contract that's not coterminous with the rest of the staff?

IMPOSSIBLE! :)

cdcox
01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
If true, it doesn't really surprise me. Carl always has a trick or two up his sleeve.

Still hasn't gotten it done though.

FringeNC
01-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Gretz said it, and Len verified it.

siberian khatru
01-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the next HC of the Chiefs.

Heh.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 01:53 PM
That is very, very good.

Keep him here as the Oline coach and get someone like Martz to run the offense.

Mr. Laz
:rolleyes:

you never give up ... i'll give you that

htismaqe
I think what's playing out here is that we're bringing in a defensive head coach.

Every single recent HC hire has been a defensive mind. The last OC to get a HC job might have been Martz.

So maybe we're gonna keep Solari as OC?

cdcox
01-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I think what's playing out here is that we're bringing in a defensive head coach.

Every single recent HC hire has been a defensive mind. The last OC to get a HC job might have been Martz.

So maybe we're gonna keep Solari as OC?

That would be okay by me.

milkman
So here's the question.

If Al is headed to Detroit, and he wants to take Solari as his OC, can Carl stop it, short of naming Solari OC, before he even has a new HC in place?

htismaqe
:rolleyes:

you never give up ... i'll give you that

smarter than "retarded" does not equal "smart"

:D

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 01:55 PM
So here's the question.

If Al is headed to Detroit, and he wants to take Solari as his OC, can Carl stop it, short of naming Solari OC, before he even has a new HC in place?

That's it right there. If Saunders wants to promote Solari, we can't stop him.

FringeNC
01-01-2006, 01:57 PM
So here's the question.

Yeah, we have to name a HC soon, and Williams isn't going to be immediately available....

...but just the fact that Solari is under contract makes the sting of losing Al Saunders not quite as bad...makes me think Carl might have a brain.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 01:58 PM
That's it right there. If Saunders wants to promote Solari, we can't stop him.

Yes, we can.

We can deny permission to interview.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, we can.

I don't think we can, if the Lions/Saunders offer him the offensive coordinator position. We can't deny him a promotion. He just can't make a lateral move without our permission.

Or am I wrong?

Mr. Laz
01-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, we can.

i don't think you can IF it's a promotion

beavis
01-01-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't think we can, if the Lions/Saunders offer him the offensive coordinator position. We can't deny him a promotion. He just can't make a lateral move without our permission.

Or am I wrong?
You're right.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 02:24 PM
i don't think you can IF it's a promotion

Wrong.

You can deny permission.

The Bucs denied the Bears and the Colts permission to interview Rod Marinelli for DC positions when he was the Bucs D-Line coach.

Here is a piece from the Chicago Tribune article:

Smith's great friends is Bucs defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, whom Smith tried to hire as his defensive coordinator before Ron Rivera, only to have the move blocked by Bucs coach Jon Gruden and team ownership.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Wrong.

You can deny permission.

The Bucs denied the Bears and the Colts permission to interview Rod Marinelli for DC positions when he was the Bucs D-Line coach.

Here is a piece from the Chicago Tribune article:

That's a pretty good move by Carl then to have him under contract.

Dave Lane
01-01-2006, 02:45 PM
That is very, very good.

Keep him here as the Oline coach and get someone like Martz to run the offense.

I don't want Martz anywhere near here. I still have some hair left and would hate to lose it.

Dave

Skip Towne
01-01-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't want Martz anywhere near here. I still have some hair left and would hate to lose it.

Dave
He can come here if I never see him or hear his voice.

Zebedee DuBois
01-01-2006, 03:17 PM
... coterminous ...

I am going to have to look that up.

Zebedee DuBois
01-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Good! I have already learned something this year!

con·ter·mi·nous Audio pronunciation of "coterminous" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-tūrm-ns) also co·ter·mi·nous (k-)
adj.

1. Having a boundary in common; contiguous: The northern border of the United States is conterminous with the southern border of Canada.
2. Contained in the same boundaries; coextensive: the conterminous 48 states.
3. Having the same scope, range of meaning, or extent in time.

chiefqueen
01-01-2006, 03:22 PM
So here's the question.

I don't think so because that would be a promotion. Carl can only stop Solari from taking another OL coaching job in the NFL.

Logical
01-01-2006, 03:26 PM

So maybe we're gonna keep Solari as OC?Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Callahan get promoted from an offensive coaching position at Oakland. That would be more recent than Martz.

chiefqueen
01-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Callahan get promoted from an offensive coaching position at Oakland. That would be more recent than Martz.

You may be right, but KU, MU, and KSU fans are just thankful Al Davis fired him.

htismaqe
01-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Callahan get promoted from an offensive coaching position at Oakland. That would be more recent than Martz.

Yep, I forgot about Callahan.

But there's been ALOT of coaching changes since then.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 04:37 PM

Dave

When Martz was an OC, how good was the offense?

I don't want him running a team, but Martz is the one that will make the smoothest transition from Al. And him and Trent have a history.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't think so because that would be a promotion. Carl can only stop Solari from taking another OL coaching job in the NFL.

Wrong.

Read my post above. You can deny permission to interview regardless.

FringeNC
01-01-2006, 04:39 PM
When Martz was an OC, how good was the offense?

I don't want him running a team, but Martz is the one that will make the smoothest transition from Al. And him and Trent have a history.

I'd love to have Martz as OC, but I think he'll have HCs opportunities.

siberian khatru
01-01-2006, 04:40 PM
And him and Trent have a history.

I've been wondering about that. I'm just gonna assume they got along fine, that Trent has no reservations.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I've been wondering about that. I'm just gonna assume they got along fine, that Trent has no reservations.

He did sign in St. Louis because of Martz. Martz was also his QB coach in Washington.

Count Zarth
01-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't think Martz wants to be OC here.

I do think Norv Turner might jump at it. He has a history with Trent, too, and Norv IS a good OC.

siberian khatru
01-01-2006, 04:44 PM
He did sign in St. Louis because of Martz. Martz was also his QB coach in Washington.

Ah. :thumb:

FringeNC
01-01-2006, 04:45 PM

I do think Norv Turner might jump at it. He has a history with Trent, too, and Norv IS a good OC.

If Norv is such a good offensive mind, why did he hired Jimmy Raye as offensive coordinator?

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 04:47 PM

And so IS Martz.

FringeNC
01-01-2006, 04:50 PM
And so IS Martz.

Turner isn't even in the same league as Martz. Turner hired Jimmy Raye and squandered all that talent on offense. The Raiders' offense sucked this year. Norv Turner is overrated.

dirk digler
01-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Turner isn't even in the same league as Martz. Turner hired Jimmy Raye and squandered all that talent on offense. The Raiders' offense sucked this year. Norv Turner is overrated.

I disagree. Turner may suck as a HC but as an OC he is very good IMO. The guy won 3 SB's with Dallas as the OC and every where he has been as the OC the offense is always successful.

Count Zarth
01-01-2006, 04:55 PM
If Norv is such a good offensive mind, why did he hired Jimmy Raye as offensive coordinator?

That's exactly why we don't want Norv as a HEAD COACH. ROFL

Count Zarth
01-01-2006, 04:56 PM
And so IS Martz.

Martz wouldn't use LJ properly.

FringeNC
01-01-2006, 04:56 PM
I disagree. Turner may suck as a HC but as an OC he is very good IMO. The guy won 3 SB's with Dallas as the OC and every where he has been as the OC the offensive is always successful.

I don't think he has ever put up numbers like Saunders or Martz have, plus given that he is an offensive coach, I have to think he actually coordinated the offensive mess in Oakland, not Jimmy Raye.

I don't think Turner is an idiot. He just doesn't excite me.