PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs finish better than Patriots

blsilks
01-01-2006, 03:28 PM
The Chiefs and Patriots have both finished at 10-6.
In the event of a tiebreaker the Chiefs would finish with a better AFC record, more points scored and less points scored against.

The truth is that the Patriots not only get to be in the playoffs, they also get a first round home field advantage mean while the Chiefs get to stay at home and play madden 2006 all day.

Sarcasm Alert!!!!
[
I believe that this is totally fair. Anybody who thinks that the 6 teams in the playoffs should be the top 6 teams in that conference must be crazy. I totally believe that if a team wins their division at 9-7 or even 8-8, that they should still be in the playoffs with first round home field just because they are the winners of a piece of crap division.
]

chiefqueen
01-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Oh, wait boys and girls, here's the REAL kicker: Because we beat the Pats, even though they made the playoffs the Pats will get to draft before us on draft day.

The same will be true of Wash. should they go 10-6.

The NFL does not let the non-playoff teams draft before playoff teams if the non-playoff team has the better record.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Oh, wait boys and girls, here's the REAL kicker: Because we beat the Pats, even though they made the playoffs the Pats will get to draft before us on draft day.

The NFL does not let the non-playoff teams draft before playoff teams if the non-playoff team has the better record.

Just one of those flukey things this year....weird?? This is one of the downfalls when the NFL decided to breakup into 4 divisions a few years ago.

cdcox
01-01-2006, 04:35 PM

Not true about NE.

If teams are tied in record, then non-playoff teams draft before playoff teams. Unless Washington qualifies for the playoffs at 9-7, the Chiefs will draft before all the playoff teams.

the Talking Can
01-01-2006, 04:36 PM
we beat San Diego, Denver, New England, and Cinci in the last 6 weeks...and have nothing to show for it....nothing....being a Chiefs fan blows

chiefqueen
01-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Not true about NE.

If teams are tied in record, then non-playoff teams draft before playoff teams. Unless Washington qualifies for the playoffs at 9-7, the Chiefs will draft after all the playoff teams.

Oh great, now we're drafting LAST!!!!!!!:banghead::cuss::banghead:

Sorry, but this was more fun than me editing your post.

cdcox
01-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Oh great, now we're drafting LAST!!!!!!!:banghead::cuss::banghead:

Sorry, but this was more fun than me editing your post.

Whoops. Fixed it.

blsilks
01-01-2006, 06:01 PM
This playoff system blows. We need to go 8 teams in the playoffs or go back to 3 divisons and Shannon Sharp needs to shut his freakin mouth because all I could understand was "gaba daba bleeba doba no 8 teams in the playoffs"

blsilks
01-01-2006, 06:09 PM
And poor soon to be 12-4 Jacksonville has to go into New England when they clearly have a better record then the Patriots. Paul Tagliawhateverimnotgoingtolookupthecorrectspelling and all of his shmuck lawyer co-works in the NFL headoffice need to get their butts out of their heads and fix this glitch.

cdcox
01-01-2006, 06:13 PM
You advocate going to half the teams in the playoffs. That will destroy hte regular season.

Or you advocate going to 3 divisions 16/3 = 5.333 teams per division.

Both of these ideas are a sledge hammer approach to a very simple problem: the Chiefs needed to win one of serveral very winnable games.

plbrdude
01-01-2006, 06:28 PM
And poor soon to be 12-4 Jacksonville has to go into New England when they clearly have a better record then the Patriots. Paul Tagliawhateverimnotgoingtolookupthecorrectspelling and all of his shmuck lawyer co-works in the NFL headoffice need to get their butts out of their heads and fix this glitch.

who here would be screaming to fix it ifn we won the div at 9-7 and had an 11-5 2nd place team coming to arrowhead. expand the play-offs?
good God, you want us to be like the nba?

Rain Man
01-01-2006, 06:30 PM
The Chiefs beat 3 of the 4 division winners this year - the Patriots, the Bengals, and the Broncos. Good thing for them that we aren't in the playoffs, because I think we'd beat them all again.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2006, 06:32 PM
The Chiefs beat 3 of the 4 division winners this year - the Patriots, the Bengals, and the Broncos. Good thing for them that we aren't in the playoffs, because I think we'd beat them all again.

Not on the road. No way.

chiefqueen
01-01-2006, 06:34 PM

But the media experts declared Sandy Eggo the best team not to make the playoffs last week.

blsilks
01-01-2006, 06:53 PM
The solution is simple: Get rid of Jacksonville. They dont even have a big enough population be called a real city worthy of a football team plus florida already has Miami so they will be fine. Once Jacksonville is gone then you have

East
New England
Miami
Buffalo
Ny Jets
Baltimore

Central
cincinatti
cleveland
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Tennessee

West
Denver
Kansas City
Oakland
San Diego
Seattle

with 6 teams going to the playoffs.

blsilks
01-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Sorry, also get rid of the Carolina Panthers and send the Houston Texans to the NFC

Guru
01-01-2006, 06:58 PM
In the event of a tiebreaker the Chiefs would finish with a better AFC record, more points scored and less points scored against.

The truth is that the Patriots not only get to be in the playoffs, they also get a first round home field advantage mean while the Chiefs get to stay at home and play madden 2006 all day.

Sarcasm Alert!!!!
[
I believe that this is totally fair. Anybody who thinks that the 6 teams in the playoffs should be the top 6 teams in that conference must be crazy. I totally believe that if a team wins their division at 9-7 or even 8-8, that they should still be in the playoffs with first round home field just because they are the winners of a piece of crap division.
]

I would just like to see the seeding changed. It still needs to be by record. In other words, you won your division? Great, 8-8, you get to be seed 6 instead of seed 4.

blsilks
01-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I would just like to see the seeding changed. It still needs to be by record. In other words, you won your division? Great, 8-8, you get to be seed 6 instead of seed 4.

That would work great as well. You won your division. Great!!! Here is a trophy. You still didn't make the playoffs though because your record sucks. I agree with the playoffs being based souly on your record instead of divison crap. Divisions would only be used for scheduling that way we dont lose the good ol fashioned division rivalries.

Guru
01-01-2006, 07:04 PM
That would work great as well. You won your division. Great!!! Here is a trophy. You still didn't make the playoffs though because your record sucks. I agree with the playoffs being based souly on your record instead of divison crap. Divisions would only be used for scheduling that way we dont lose the good ol fashioned division rivalries.

The division title should still get you a playoff birth. I just don't like to see 9-7 or even 8-8 teams (God forbid a 7-9 team) get a top 4 seed. Let the division winners in but seed them by record.

blsilks
01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
The division title should still get you a playoff birth. I just don't like to see 9-7 or even 8-8 teams (God forbid a 7-9 team) get a top 4 seed. Let the division winners in but seed them by record.

I still kinda believe that the playoffs should be the top 6 in the AFC and the top 6 in the NFC.

Guru
01-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I still kinda believe that the playoffs should be the top 6 in the AFC and the top 6 in the NFC.

Don't get me wrong, I would love that. The NFL will just never do that and minimize the importance of the division title.

blsilks
01-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Then get rid of jacksonville and carolina and we will be back in business with 3 divisions

Guru
01-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Then get rid of jacksonville and carolina and we will be back in business with 3 divisions

Amen to that. Wish they would never have expanded.

thurman merman
01-01-2006, 08:47 PM
this is why they should expand the length of the season. shorten the damn preseason and expand the regular season to 18 or 20 games. that way they probably wouldn't need so many damn tiebreakers.

Guru
01-01-2006, 08:49 PM
this is why they should expand the length of the season. shorten the damn preseason and expand the regular season to 18 or 20 games. that way they probably wouldn't need so many damn tiebreakers.

Yeah but then all the coaches would complain that they don't have the time to truly evaluate talent then.

dj56dt58
01-01-2006, 08:57 PM
The best records should get in. Period. People complain because half the teams in the NBA get in, but at least they don't have shit teams get in while leaving really good teams out.

And heres an idea for your damn tie-breaker. Take the 2 teams with the same record and have them play. Wow..that was hard.

cdcox
01-01-2006, 09:05 PM

Your and idiot.

Taco John
01-01-2006, 09:08 PM
...of course, you *did* lose to the Eagles.

Guru
01-01-2006, 09:10 PM
...of course, you *did* lose to the Eagles.

The only saving face to that one is... at least they were still the dangerous Eagles with all their weapons, no injuries and TO hadn't pushed the team to the limit. Though I hated losing that game the way we did. I can still live with it as they were the defending NFC champs.

Taco John
01-01-2006, 09:17 PM
The only saving face to that one is... at least they were still the dangerous Eagles with all their weapons, no injuries and TO hadn't pushed the team to the limit. Though I hated losing that game the way we did. I can still live with it as they were the defending NFC champs.

I guess that's a consolation. I just think it's ridiculous to hear people whining about the system, when you didn't take care of business at home. And that's not mentioning that whole business of losing to Bufallo. I'm still scratching my head over that one. Also, there's the whole matter of going .500 in December. How does a team go .500 in the last four weeks of the season and then bitch about how unfair it is that they missed the playoffs? New England won four of their five games in December, and the game they lost didn't really matter anyway. If today's game *did* matter, I'm sure they'd have managed to find three more points against the Dolphins.

I'm not trying to rub it in. Missing the playoffs like that is miserable. I felt bad for Miami when it happened to them... Well, that's a lie. But I can understand that it sucks... and raging against the system for not being perfect when you didn't take advantage of your opportunities seems a little silly to me.

Guru
01-01-2006, 09:20 PM
I guess that's a consolation. I just think it's ridiculous to hear people whining about the system, when you didn't take care of business at home. And that's not mentioning that whole business of losing to Bufallo. I'm still scratching my head over that one. Also, there's the whole matter of going .500 in December. How does a team go .500 in the last four weeks of the season and then bitch about how unfair it is that they missed the playoffs? New England won four of their five games in December, and the game they lost didn't really matter anyway. If today's game *did* matter, I'm sure they'd have managed to find three more points against the Dolphins.

I'm not trying to rub it in. Missing the playoffs like that is miserable. I felt bad for Miami when it happened to them... Well, that's a lie. But I can understand that it sucks... and raging against the system for not being perfect when you didn't take advantage of your opportunities seems a little silly to me.

The TEAM blew it. That is my stance.

wolfpack0735
01-01-2006, 09:21 PM
i wish there were more playoff teams than there is,and i wish there was more regular season games. but there was 4 games we should have won, so just win the games we should have wo and we`re in period.

HMc
01-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Unless you want he playoffs to be another regular season, 12/32 is enough. You can't get too upset at missing at out 10-6. 11-5 would be a different story, but i don't think that has ever happened. I do think that seedings should be based on record rather than division champs then wildcards. So division title gets you a spot but not a guaranteed top 4 seed.

cdcox
01-01-2006, 09:34 PM

Taco gets it. Win your games, quit complaining about the system.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Not because of the Chiefs this year, but I think since the divisions were expanded and you lost a wildcard team in that. 7 teams in each division would be fair IMO, especially with the expanded teams. It would also put more empahsis on being the top team in the conference, since they would have the only bye. It would give us 6 games on wildcard weekend. I see it as a win-win. Probally would have to expand the regular season to 18 though.

Amnorix
01-01-2006, 10:48 PM

Sarcasm Alert!!!!
[
]

Presumably you don't realize that the Pats lost today, by two points, even though Miami kept their starters in the game for the ENTIRE game, while the Pats had every important starter on the bench beginning halfway through the second quarter, and had all starters on the bench by the third quarter.

Amnorix
01-01-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm truly sorry that the Chiefs missed the playoffs despite having a very solid 10-6 record. It's also clear to me that on their best days, the Chiefs can be REALLY good. The fact that they beat many playoff teams clearly shows that.

But seriously -- those whining about the system need to sack up and STFU. The reasons the Chiefs are out of the playoffs is because they suck on the road and because they couldnt' get it done against some pretty s**tty teams. Blame Tagliabue and the system and the fact that you're in a tough division all you want, but the FACT is that if you could've won one more damn game against teams like the Bills and the Iggles, then this thread wouldn't even be necessary.

As for the Pats, specifically, being in a lame-ass weak division -- I agree. I also note that (1) the AFC East was murderous over the last several years, and (2) the Chiefs PLAYED the entire AFC East THIS year, so quit your frigging complaining because it wasn't like your conference divisional opponent was the late 80's NFC East reincarnated.

cdcox
01-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Not because of the Chiefs this year, but I think since the divisions were expanded and you lost a wildcard team in that. 7 teams in each division would be fair IMO, especially with the expanded teams. It would also put more empahsis on being the top team in the conference, since they would have the only bye. It would give us 6 games on wildcard weekend. I see it as a win-win. Probally would have to expand the regular season to 18 though.

The only time you "lose a WC" is if the worst division champ is worse than the best playoff non-qualifier. That happened this year, where the Chiefs would edge out NE on tiebreakers but probably won't most years.

OTOH, consider last season where you had not one, but two NFC teams qualifying at 8-8. If you expansionists had got you way, it would have been three 8-8 teams making the playoffs. It would have turned what was a mere disgrace into black hole of mediocrity.

You people are short-sighted boosters of self esteem for the average. If you get your way, you'll undermine the very competitive underpinnings of what made this country great. I'll fight you every step of the way.

HMc
01-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Presumably you don't realize that the Pats lost today, by two points, even though Miami kept their starters in the game for the ENTIRE game, while the Pats had every important starter on the bench beginning halfway through the second quarter, and had all starters on the bench by the third quarter.

Which is one of the reasons i was suggesting that seeding should be based on record. It would decrease the number of mail in efforts in the last round.

Hoofbeats
01-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Unless you want he playoffs to be another regular season, 12/32 is enough. You can't get too upset at missing at out 10-6. 11-5 would be a different story, but i don't think that has ever happened. I do think that seedings should be based on record rather than division champs then wildcards. So division title gets you a spot but not a guaranteed top 4 seed.
The '85 Broncos went 11-5 and missed the playoffs based on the tiebreakers...only time it's ever happened.

Guru
01-01-2006, 11:17 PM
The '85 Broncos went 11-5 and missed the playoffs based on the tiebreakers...only time it's ever happened.

Couldn't happen to a better organization. ROFL

Hoofbeats
01-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Couldn't happen to a better organization. ROFL
I didn't hear any Bronco fans wimipering that they needed to let us in anyway by expanding the playoff field.

Guru
01-01-2006, 11:21 PM
I didn't hear any Bronco fans wimipering that they needed to let us in anyway by expanding the playoff field.

No, they just blamed the officials.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2006, 11:23 PM
The only time you "lose a WC" is if the worst division champ is worse than the best playoff non-qualifier. That happened this year, where the Chiefs would edge out NE on tiebreakers but probably won't most years.

OTOH, consider last season where you had not one, but two NFC teams qualifying at 8-8. If you expansionists had got you way, it would have been three 8-8 teams making the playoffs. It would have turned what was a mere disgrace into black hole of mediocrity.

You people are short-sighted boosters of self esteem for the average. If you get your way, you'll undermine the very competitive underpinnings of what made this country great. I'll fight you every step of the way.

nlm

Tribal Warfare
01-01-2006, 11:25 PM
stop this f*ckin bitching. Yes , KC went 10-6 and didn't make playoffs but they should've won against the Eagles, Bills, Cowboys. Any of those wins puts us in the playoffs, and KC didn't make it happen PERIOD!!!!!

cdcox
01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
nlm

Sweet, I win.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Sweet, I win.

Your stupid. Adding 2 f***ing playoffs team would not hurt this country. That is the most stupid damn argument. NFL is the most popular sport, adding 2 more playoff games would make it better. Yes, some years you might have a 8-8 team in the playoffs. Last year in the NFC is not the norm, you should no that with all the damn stats you run. Why dont you go back playing with your little playoff scenario website, geek boy.

cdcox
01-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Your stupid. Adding 2 f***ing playoffs team would not hurt this country. That is the most stupid damn argument. NFL is the most popular sport, adding 2 more playoff games would make it better. Yes, some years you might have a 8-8 team in the playoffs. Last year in the NFC is not the norm, you should no that with all the damn stats you run. Why dont you go back playing with your little playoff scenario website, geek boy.

Have you ever considered that the NFL is the most popular sport BECAUSE the regular season means something. Every game means something. If you expand the field it is only a matter of time berfore a 7-9 team makes it. And yes, competition which involves winners and losers, is one of the two pillars that has allowed this country to prosper, the other being freedom.

The Chiefs were not a playoff team this year. I want them to make improvements so they can actually compete for a championship. You want them to lower the bar so that underachievers can be rewarded with a trip to the playoffs. The fact is, among wild card teams only teams earning the 5th seed and higher and having a record of 11-5 or better have ever qualified for the SB. Until a 10-6 sixth seed qualifies for the Super Bowl, there is a much stronger arguement that there is already one too many playoff teams.

Hoofbeats
01-01-2006, 11:42 PM
we beat San Diego, Denver, New England, and Cinci in the last 6 weeks...and have nothing to show for it....nothing....being a Chiefs fan blows
No doubt it does.

morphius
01-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I have no problem with us not being in the playoffs, I truly wish we were, but I just don't see that we played well enough against the good teams we faced on the road. We did beat a lot of the teams that are in the playoff's this year, so we were close, but the way we have played on the road I just don't know that we would have done anything had we been forced to travel to Cin or the NE next week.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Have you ever considered that the NFL is the most popular sport BECAUSE the regular season means something. Every game means something. If you expand the field it is only a matter of time berfore a 7-9 team makes it. And yes, competition which involves winners and losers, is one of the two pillars that has allowed this country to prosper, the other being freedom.

The Chiefs were not a playoff team this year. I want them to make improvements so they can actually compete for a championship. You want them to lower the bar so that underachievers can be rewarded with a trip to the playoffs. The fact is, among wild card teams only teams earning the 5th seed and higher and having a record of 11-5 or better have ever qualified for the SB. Until a 10-6 sixth seed qualifies for the Super Bowl, there is a much stronger arguement that there is already one too many playoff teams.

I said expand the regular season as well. I'm not bitching bc the Chiefs didnt make it either.

cdcox
01-01-2006, 11:53 PM
I haven't seen a serious depate over expanding the regular season. I might be able to support that. My chief concern would be injuries, wear-and-tear, etc. But more football would be good. But I still wouldn't favor expanding the playoff field. 6/16 seems about right, at least until a 6 seed proves they're worthy or we start routinely excluding 11-5 clubs.

HMc
01-02-2006, 12:00 AM
I haven't seen a serious depate over expanding the regular season. I might be able to support that. My chief concern would be injuries, wear-and-tear, etc. But more football would be good. But I still wouldn't favor expanding the playoff field. 6/16 seems about right, at least until a 6 seed proves they're worthy or we start routinely excluding 11-5 clubs.

I wouldn't worry about injuries - there are other sports that are just as physically demanding where the players play more than 16 games in the regular season.

They get by.

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2006, 12:02 AM
I said expand the regular season as well. I'm not bitching bc the Chiefs didnt make it either.

Are you kidding me!!!!! originally it was eight games then 12, and now 16 games played in the regular season. It would be idiotic to make this condusive since players have to through TC, preseason, regular season, and some teams the playoffs. Hell, your just begging for mass amounts of injuries that could incurr on the premeire players of the NFL.

Kabals
01-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Don't get me wrong, I would love that. The NFL will just never do that and minimize the importance of the division title.

They minimized the importance of the division title when they went to 4 freaking divisions. And what I mean by this is that there will always be 1 or 2 teams every year that will win their division with a worse record than a team who is a Wild Card or, God Forbid, doesn't even make the playoffs (Chiefs this year).

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2006, 01:18 AM
They minimized the importance of the division title when they went to 4 freaking divisions.

The importance of winning the teams slotted division has increased, and that was the downfall of the Chiefs this year because they couldn't win the AFC West.