PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gonzalez has a contract issue this offseason?

KCChiefsFan88
01-01-2006, 03:26 PM
They interviewed Gonzo on Metro Sports and he said something about having to deal with a contract issue this offseason.

I thought the contract he signed a few years ago was a 6 or 7 year deal?

Also they asked him about what he thought about Al Saunders being the next head coach and he said he'll play "fast" and give it his all whoever the next head coach is

Mecca
01-01-2006, 03:27 PM
He must have some sort of roster bonus in there.

Hoover
01-01-2006, 03:28 PM
I think their must be some sort of bonus coming next season so it would be a redo. Keep him happy and a Chief for life

Valiant
As long as whoever the next HC is gets the ball to TG another 5-6 attempts more...

tomahawk kid

It's gotta be something like that.

I bet they're asking him to re-work it, given the figures that say we're way over next years salary cap.

Alphaman
01-01-2006, 04:01 PM

This is actually a good thing. It gives us the opportunity to reduce his cap hit next year and improve the cap situation next year.

Bob Dole
01-02-2006, 06:03 PM
It will be interesting to find out what the deal really is, because it keeps popping up.

Incentive clause that makes the contract voidable?

tk13
01-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah, he had a quote in a Star article this morning saying "I hope I'm back." I didn't even check that thread this afternoon to see if anyone had commented on it. I found it odd.

nychief
01-02-2006, 06:06 PM
I hope it is only a bonus thing - he was the highest paid Tight End in the league before Gates new deal.

Chan93lx50
01-02-2006, 06:14 PM
I am sure Tony will want to be the highest paid TE over Gates.

Thats just how these athletes work, of course its not like doesn't deserve it or anything

Shox
01-02-2006, 06:24 PM
I love TG, but he will never earn any big bonus he may be due. The Chiefs are always up against the cap and paying guys big money in the declineing years of their career is one reason why.

The best decision for good of the team would be to let Tony walk if he is going to demand any more money.

Sure-Oz
01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't think he cares for Saunders much and I hope he is back, he is definetly a force we need.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 06:32 PM
He can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

tk13
01-02-2006, 06:40 PM
His TD's were down, but really he didn't have a horrible year. 78 catches for over 900 yards. He just only had 2 TD's. That was the big one. Really he didn't get less touches.

That 78 catches was the 3rd highest total of his entire career though. Not out of this world but not bad either.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 06:47 PM
His TD's were down, but really he didn't have a horrible year. 78 catches for over 900 yards. He just only had 2 TD's. That was the big one. Really he didn't get less touches.

That 78 catches was the 3rd highest total of his entire career though. Not out of this world but not bad either.
2 TD's as his price escalates. Time for him to restructure or take a walk.

tk13
01-02-2006, 06:50 PM
2 TD's as his price escalates. Time for him to restructure or take a walk.
If we let him walk he probably goes to the Raiders and haunts us with 10 TD's a year for the rest of eternity. No thanks.

Chan93lx50
01-02-2006, 06:55 PM
He's the guy on our O that draws the double team.

Valiant
01-02-2006, 06:57 PM

He said he wants to be involved more.. He wants a coach to come in and utilize his abilities.. He talked about not even getting looked at in the endzone...

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
If we let him walk he probably goes to the Raiders and haunts us with 10 TD's a year for the rest of eternity. No thanks.
He can take his huge salary and 2 TD's anywhere he likes, thank you.

Chan93lx50
01-02-2006, 07:01 PM
He said he wants to be involved more.. He wants a coach to come in and utilize his abilities.. He talked about not even getting looked at in the endzone...

Hmmm, wonder if he was on Saunder shit list.

Tony: Al, give me the damn ball

Saunders: You want the damn ball? Okay I will make a play just for you. It will be a quick screen pass on 1st and 10 and it will give you a catch everygame and you can pad 3 yards or less to your stats every game. How does that sound?

Hoover
01-02-2006, 07:01 PM
You can't have it both ways folks.

You can't have a running back that gets 20 TDs in 9 starts and a TE that gets 10 plus TDs.

chiefs4me
01-02-2006, 07:15 PM
As long as whoever the next HC is gets the ball to TG another 5-6 attempts more...

:clap: PBJ

chiefs4me
01-02-2006, 07:20 PM
He can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

%(/

chiefs4me
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM
He can take his huge salary and 2 TD's anywhere he likes, thank you.

yea because we all know that scoring td's without being given the freaking ball is so easy.......:harumph:

htismaqe
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
You can't have it both ways folks.

You can't have a running back that gets 20 TDs in 9 starts and a TE that gets 10 plus TDs.

Yes, you absolutely can.

Hoover
01-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Yes, you absolutely can.
TG isn't going to score many 25 yard TDs, and once we get into the red zone, one would be stupid not to call LJ's number

siberian khatru
01-02-2006, 07:29 PM

http://posters.westbalkanonline.com/speedlist/FP1334%20SIMPSONS%20scream.jpg

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 07:30 PM
yea because we all know that scoring td's without being given the freaking ball is so easy.......:harumph:
Shut up woman. How many playoff games have we been to during his career? How many have we won? He has a huge salary and is in his declining years. Stick to sewing or whatever it is you know about.

htismaqe
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
TG isn't going to score many 25 yard TDs, and once we get into the red zone, one would be stupid not to call LJ's number

That's not true at all. Tony G has caught alot of long passes in the seam. And you can't give the ball to LJ EVERY time.

There's no reason Tony can't get 10 and Larry get 20.

Mecca
01-02-2006, 07:32 PM
I had the radio on earlier and according to them, Tony Gonzalez made the comment "they need to take care of me." So take that for what it's worth....

luv
01-02-2006, 07:37 PM
It's also difficult to throw a ball to someone who is double covered. Whenever he manages to get open, he usually gets the ball.

chiefs4me
01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Shut up woman. How many playoff games have we been to during his career? How many have we won? He has a huge salary and is in his declining years. Stick to sewing or whatever it is you know about.

I know that my chiefs did NOT make the playoffs again........:deevee: but the freaking donkey's did.. again......:banghead: and now you want to toss Tony aside......haven't I suffered enough???

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 07:49 PM
I know that my chiefs did NOT make the playoffs again........:deevee: but the freaking donkey's did.. again......:banghead: and now you want to toss Tony aside......haven't I suffered enough???
That's just it. He's not part of the solution anymore. He's becoming part of the problem.

Halfcan
01-02-2006, 09:02 PM
He's the guy on our O that draws the double team.

Yep, I agree-not to mention gets held every freakin play. TG will be a Chief until he retires and goes into the HOF.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Yep, I agree-not to mention gets held every freakin play. TG will be a Chief until he retires and goes into the HOF.
You know that........how? If he's due a big bonus and won't restructure he'll likely go the way of Johnny Morton. See ya. He's not doing that much for us.

kregger
01-02-2006, 09:12 PM
He's definetely become a more complete TE. His blocking skills are top notch. He needs to room with Trent in the off season and get back on page one. He was overlooked on pass routes when he was open. I think Trent has come to expect him to be doubled or held or whatever. With Parker and Craphonoso stretching the D next year, he should have plenty of room in the seams. JMO

Halfcan
01-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Hell he had to block for us-against DE's the first six games, or he would have been over 1000 yards and 100 catches. The TD's-hell LJ is getting them all.

He will be a Chief until he retires-bank on that.

Valiant
01-02-2006, 09:21 PM

People tend to forget how many times we cameaway with FG because LJ could not pound it in... LJ is a stud but is not a guarnteed thing in the goalline situation.. Now from ten yards and plus for some reason is another story.. PA to LJ and then quick toss to Tony should work well at goal line, hell anywhere on the field...

With our offense it would be very easy to get 30+ tds on the ground and 25+ in the air...

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 09:32 PM
People tend to forget how many times we cameaway with FG because LJ could not pound it in... LJ is a stud but is not a guarnteed thing in the goalline situation.. Now from ten yards and plus for some reason is another story.. PA to LJ and then quick toss to Tony should work well at goal line, hell anywhere on the field...

With our offense it would be very easy to get 30+ tds on the ground and 25+ in the air...
Then why doesn't the quick toss to Tony work? It worked only twice this entire season. And he is in a contract dispute? I'm betting he comes off of that or he works for somebody else. We can get lots cheaper guys to block DE's. Where does he have any leverage in a contract dispute? He's not earning what we are paying him that I can see. You have to remember a player is paid a pemium for what he can deliver over and above the next best player at his position. I'm thinking Tony has reached the point where his production can be replaced much more cheaply. I haven't seen anything in this thread to change my mind.

Rausch
01-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Then why doesn't the quick toss to Tony work? It worked only twice this entire season. And he is in a contract dispute? I'm betting he comes off of that or he works for somebody else. We can get lots cheaper guys to block DE's. Where does he have any leverage in a contract dispute? He's not earning what we are paying him that I can see. You have to remember a player is paid a pemium for what he can deliver over and above the next best player at his position. I'm thinking Tony has reached the point where his production can be replaced much more cheaply. I haven't seen anything in this thread to change my mind.

You might have a point but I don't think this offseason is the perfect time to have to look for a pass-catching TE.

We've got more pressing issues like DT, WR, T, and depth at CB...

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 09:41 PM
You might have a point but I don't think this offseason is the perfect time to have to look for a pass-catching TE.

Agreed. I'm saying if Tony thinks he is going to get even more money he is probably wrong. Isn't this thread about him getting even more money?

luv
01-02-2006, 09:46 PM

This time last year, and I would have thought you were trying to learn your alphabet.

Bowser
01-02-2006, 10:50 PM

Should have been 81 catches.

****in' Kris Wilson......

milkman
01-02-2006, 11:08 PM
This time last year, and I would have thought you were trying to learn your alphabet.

ROFL

And not learnin' too well.

Wallcrawler
01-03-2006, 02:25 AM
Getting rid of Gonzalez is ludicrous.

So his numbers were down. Kinda tough to score lots of TD's when youre having to stay in and block because of injuries to tackles on the o-line, and on top of that you have an offensive coordinator who gets bored doing what he is supposed to do.

Anyone could call a pass to Tony G in the redzone. But you dont look like an offensive genius unless you get it done by going elsewhere. Saunders has been notorious for pulling stupid crap in his playcalling during his tenure here.

Gonzalez is still a huge threat in the passing game. He draws double coverages every game that help our less than stellar wideouts get the catches that they make.

His blocking skills are the best that they have ever been in his career.

I dont care how old he is, Tony Gonzalez remains a huge asset to this offense, and to get rid of him is lunacy.

DaWolf
01-03-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm thinking Tony has reached the point where his production can be replaced much more cheaply. I haven't seen anything in this thread to change my mind.

By who, Kris Wilson?

People were saying 2 years ago that TOny was washed up and he followed it up with one of the greatest years ever for a TE. He was just blatantly misused this year.

Any team who wants to give up on a playmaker still in their prime who demands a double team from a defense and keeps coordinators up at night game planning against him would be idiots. You get rid of Gonzo you are just inviting 8 men in the box. Kiss LJ's rediculous numbers goodbye, because Samie Parker doesn't scare anyone, none of our recievers do...

jspchief
01-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Anyone that wants to keep Gonzo better not be bitching about getting a true #1 WR. The money we pay him is what keeps this team from being able to afford a true #1 IMO.

Personally, I'd like to keep him. But if he wants more money, he can piss up a rope. He's slower than ever, and drops more passes than he ever has before. The reason we stopped throwing to him in the EZ is because he's dropped about 50% of the TD passes we've thrown to him in the last few years.

I'm not convinced that he's all that special anymore. I think his numbers are a product of an offense that favors him, due to play-calling a shitty receivers. Maybe if he put in some off-season work instead of playing basketball, he could regain some speed and improve his hands.

jidar
01-03-2006, 06:21 AM
If ever there was a player I'd like to see be a Chief for life, it's Tony. He's a first ballot HOFer, lets make sure he goes in wearing Red and Gold.

DaWolf
01-03-2006, 06:22 AM
Anyone that wants to keep Gonzo better not be bitching about getting a true #1 WR. The money we pay him is what keeps this team from being able to afford a true #1 IMO.

We could afford both Gonzo and a top notch reciever if we didn't piss away money on free agent busts like Kendrell Bell, Carlton Gray, Dan Williams, Chester McNugget, etc, and overpay guys like Warfield and pay $10 mil bonuses to underachieving draft picks like Sims.

It's like saying the Colts couldn't afford Manning, James, and Harrison. Yes they can...