PDA

View Full Version : DJ

Pants
01-01-2006, 05:19 PM
So, what are everyone's feelings about DJ, now that he is done with his rookie year?

Good? Bad? As expected? Happy? Unhappy?

Mr. Laz
01-01-2006, 05:20 PM
good ... better than expected ... still makes rookie mistakes but still good.

Douche Baggins
01-01-2006, 05:20 PM
DJ had a very solid rookie season. He has lots of room for improvement, though.

Getting a competent defensive coordinator will be a BIG help.

4th and Long
01-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Some games you hear his name called, others he's invisible. I think it's a matter of how he's being used. We'll see what next year brings before I can make a true evaluation and start pointing fingers at the player, or, at the coach.

Pants
01-01-2006, 05:22 PM

Dude, we get it. You can stop your over the top mantra. Gunther was the one who made Kawika a player.

And now, back to tpoic...

Rain Man
01-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Lots of tackles, few big plays. I would currently classify my opinion as, "glad he's not a bust, but disappointed that he wasn't more of an impact player."

I blame Chiefsplanet for building my hopes to unreasonable levels.

ChiefsFire
01-01-2006, 05:30 PM
once he got the daipers off...oops

wrong Johnson

Deberg_1990
01-01-2006, 05:41 PM
solid season. He needs to be turned loose a little more to utilize his speed.

jjchieffan
01-01-2006, 05:43 PM

Do you think you can find a thread where you dont bash Gunther?!?! Get a life

petegz28
01-01-2006, 05:45 PM
DJ will be better when we get some better play fomr the OTHER outside LB

keg in kc
01-01-2006, 05:45 PM
We're set at linebacker for years.

The Bad Guy
01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
He had a great rookie year.

Is it me, or did it look like he gained some weight? My brother pointed this out today and too me he does look heavy. But he's going to be great.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Is it me, or did it look like he gained some weight? My brother pointed this out today and too me he does look heavy. But he's going to be great.

Yea ive wondered the same thing for the past few months..i hope hes not partying too much.

Guru
01-01-2006, 08:23 PM
once he got the daipers off...oops

wrong Johnson

:LOL:

wolfpack0735
01-01-2006, 08:32 PM
i thought he had a good rookie season. i would have thought he would have had more sacks though, or even more plays blow up in the back field. but i also think gun misused him. but also what do i know, i would have thought bell would have been better.

Hoover
01-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Some games you hear his name called, others he's invisible. I think it's a matter of how he's being used. We'll see what next year brings before I can make a true evaluation and start pointing fingers at the player, or, at the coach.
I don't think I've watched a game where he was invisable.

Great Pick, Great Futurem Glad he is a chief

patteeu
01-01-2006, 08:36 PM
A little disappointed that he didn't come out of the gate like superman, but when I get realistic about it I am pretty happy about what we got out of him in his first year. Looking forward to bigger and better things from him in years to come.

gblowfish
01-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Mack....Lee....Hill
Award.

Douche Baggins
01-01-2006, 08:44 PM
He's the best DJ in the AFC West, that's for sure. :)

Hydrae
01-01-2006, 08:49 PM
About what I expected for a first year. I look forward to watching him for several years to come. :thumb:

Jim Jones
01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
He was decent, made some tackles but really didn't make too many game changing plays like I was expecting. But I definitely think he's gonna get better in the off-season.

DTLB58
01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=Rain Man]Lots of tackles, few big plays. I would currently classify my opinion as, "glad he's not a bust, but disappointed that he wasn't more of an impact player."

I would agree with this statement since he finished with just over 100 tackles and 2 sacks.

I also would say we need to utilize his speed more. I was looking for more of an "impact" player like Ware in Dallas or Merriman. But then again neither one of those teams are heading to the playoffs either.

sedated
01-01-2006, 08:54 PM
was above average, for a rookie

needs to change some games.

didn't have as much success blitzing as expected

speed was wasted

siberian khatru
01-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Make sure he stays off motor scooters in the offseason.

Logical
01-01-2006, 09:04 PM
A little better than expected for a rookie. I was suprised DV allowed him to start from day one.

shaneo69
01-02-2006, 12:05 AM
After watching him the 1st game of the year against the Jets, I thought he was going to be a turnover-forcing machine. But it never happened.

I don't know if he had as big of an impact as Jared Allen had last year as a rookie with 9 sacks.

I'm not sure if DJ played the position any better than Fujita had the past couple of years. Both had lots of tackles, few big plays.

Douche Baggins
01-02-2006, 12:07 AM
I'm not sure if DJ played the position any better than Fujita had the past couple of years. Both had lots of tackles, few big plays.

DJ was much more consistent and missed fewer tackles.

grandllama
01-02-2006, 12:11 AM

GC, you are wrong on this one. Gun's speciality IS LINEBACKERS. This year Kawika was the pet project and they seemed to more or less let DJ find his groove... if Gun is around next year, mark my words, DJ will be the pet project and we will see the same results that we saw with Kawika.

Without Gun (I'm a Gun supporter, but I'm more or less indifferent if he comes back) I'm betting we see a serious sophomore slump with DJ.

Demonpenz
01-02-2006, 12:12 AM
DJ proved he could take on blockers and get underneth the pad level of blockers. If we had Dtackles that would do a good job he would have more room to make plays. I thought he was going to do that chop more and force more fumbles

Cochise
01-02-2006, 12:15 AM
The only thing more common on the planet than 'poop' and 'boobs' is 'gochiefs hates gunther'.

Douche Baggins
01-02-2006, 12:18 AM
The only thing more common on the planet than 'poop' and 'boobs' is 'gochiefs hates gunther'.

It's been so common we didn't even see it until a month ago!

Spicy McHaggis
01-02-2006, 01:16 AM
GC, you are wrong on this one. Gun's speciality IS LINEBACKERS. This year Kawika was the pet project and they seemed to more or less let DJ find his groove... if Gun is around next year, mark my words, DJ will be the pet project and we will see the same results that we saw with Kawika.

Gun resigns as DC and becomes our LB coach. We get an up and coming defensive HC. The linebackers perform on epic, Rich Scanlon-like proportions. And glory returns to the Kansas City defense.

phxchief
01-02-2006, 06:49 AM
He needed 16 games like he played the first game of the year.

Then we saw all that potential, with sacks/FFs/pass break-ups and sideline-to-sideline tackles.

Since then he's just been "solid".

nascher
01-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Very good he is among the top defensive rookies !!!

To call a rookie season like this solid is really not correct.

phxchief
01-02-2006, 07:10 AM
To call a rookie season like this solid is really not correct.

ROFL :rolleyes:

It's nothing better than solid. Not many sacks, TFLs, FFs, INTs or any other such big play.

Just a bunch of tackles with the odd impact play thrown in. Solid. At best.

StcChief
01-02-2006, 08:14 AM
good Rookie year.
Nothing exceptional, some rookie errors.

Definitely not a bust. 2nd year will be a good measuring stick.

rocks
01-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Good, Happy! Looked good for a rook and made me happy at times.

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 08:48 AM
He was very good.

He was able to come in and play and start in all 16 games. That's rare for a Chief. He did what he was asked to do, and as a rookie did very well. People want him to be a Ware or Merriman or DT and forget that he is a completely different type of player. His college scouting analysis:

ANALYSIS
Johnson is a natural leader with exceptional quickness and is regarded as one of the finest pass defenders to ever play linebacker in the collegiate ranks. He has good size, but needs to dedicate more hours to the weight room; he lacks strength on his lanky frame. This is Johnson's major weakness; he does not show enough power to shed blocks and gets washed out on plays when working in-line. He also needs to use his hands better; he leaves himself too exposed, resulting in the blockers getting into his chest to lock on and sustain. Johnson did add bulk before the 2004 season, but the added weight did not affect his exceptional quickness.

He is best when making plays on the move, but can get a little bit out of control, resulting in over-running plays. Still, he is a natural playmaker who can make plays anywhere on the field. Johnson has excellent instincts in pass coverage, coming out of his backpedal quickly to stay on the hip of the receiver. He gets excellent depth in his pass drops and sees the play develop quickly. Johnson has excellent hands for the interception and shows an explosive burst to elude. He has a very strong work ethic and a motor that never quits. Johnson excels at making proper reads and has that sudden burst to get to the play almost instantly. Johnson's ability to take proper angles to the ball cuts down on the route he must take to disrupt the play.

Johnson is more of a drag-down tackler than one who will collide on impact. He is very effective rerouting the tight ends in the short area and shows excellent avoidance skills when penetrating the backfield off the edge. Johnson has good hip snap and change-of-direction agility to pursue the action on the outside. He closes with a sudden burst and is very effective to wrap and drag down the ball carrier. He gets a good jump on the ball, easily recognizing formations and blocking schemes.