PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Alexander this, Shawn Alexander that...

Guru
01-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Where was the coverage when Priest did it?:hmmm:

|Zach|
01-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Great, another no respect from the media thread.

ChiefsCountry
01-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Oh well, Alexander did get booed today at halftime when they showed it at Arrowhead.

Iowanian
01-01-2006, 11:39 PM
He was 1 yard short of the rushing title last year....got it AND broke Holmes TD record. He deserves his props.

Priest got PLENTY of air time that year.

shuddap

|Zach|
01-01-2006, 11:43 PM
He was 1 yard short of the rushing title last year....got it AND broke Holmes TD record. He deserves his props.

shuddap
Indeed.

Kabals
01-01-2006, 11:45 PM

shuddap

I'm sure he means that Alexander is more than worthy of the praise he's getting, but when Holmes had the season he did in 2003, it was secondary for some reason from the main sports media outlets. There was never talk of him being the MVP outside of Kansas City.

The only thing that John Clayton, Chris Berman, et al, wanted to discuss about Kansas City was how putrid the defense was, and listen to Randy Cross talk repeatedly about how Dante Hall gets illegal blocks.

Guru
01-01-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm sure he means that Alexander is more than worthy of the praise he's getting, but when Holmes had the season he did in 2003, it was secondary for some reason from the main sports media outlets. There was never talk of him being the MVP outside of Kansas City.

The only thing that John Clayton, Chris Berman, et al, wanted to discuss about Kansas City was how putrid the defense was, and listen to Randy Cross talk repeatedly about how Dante Hall gets illegal blocks.

Bingo!!!

|Zach|
01-01-2006, 11:48 PM

Holmes was talked about all the time...

Seriosuly all the time.

Besides that. I would have done the same thing.

I would be talking about the worst defense ever...they were putrid and worth ripping into.

Save your media respect tears for with this team wins a playoff game.

A single playoff game.

Guru
01-01-2006, 11:54 PM

Seriosuly all the time.

I would be talking about the worst defense ever...they were putrid and worth ripping into.

A single playoff game.

No tears here. Just sick of hearing about SA.

By the way, everyone bitches about something that someone else thinks is a waste of time. Why waste time bitching about that?

milkman
01-01-2006, 11:57 PM

By the way, everyone bitches about something that someone else thinks is a waste of time. Why waste time bitching about that?

Because nobody cares if we waste YOUR time!

Kabals
01-01-2006, 11:58 PM

Seriosuly all the time.

A single playoff game.

I'm simply stating that those who vote for the MVP are making more noise for Alexander this year than Holmes in 2003. If I recall, Holmes finished behind Manning and McNair (who split it), Brady, Jamal Lewis, and Ray Lewis.

Just IMHO, Holmes should have received more votes than he did (two I believe).

|Zach|
01-01-2006, 11:59 PM

I didn't say it was a waste of time. I said it was a stupid thing to bitch about.

The Chiefs do not deserve media respect.

Kabals
01-02-2006, 12:02 AM
I didn't say it was a waste of time. I said it was a stupid thing to bitch about.

The Chiefs do not deserve media respect.

You're reading too much into this and misinterpreting what is being said. No one is saying the Chiefs as a team deserve more media respect. What's being said is that with comparible seasons (Holmes had more yards than Alexander has...rushing and receiving; Alexander cannot catch the ball), Alexander is garnering much more accolades in 2005 than Holmes did in 2003. That's all.

dirk digler
01-02-2006, 12:05 AM
You're reading too much into this and misinterpreting what is being said. No one is saying the Chiefs as a team deserve more media respect. What's being said is that with comparible seasons (Holmes had more yards than Alexander has...rushing and receiving; Alexander cannot catch the ball), Alexander is garnering much more accolades in 2005 than Holmes did in 2003. That's all.

Yep. If somehow Alexander wins the MVP then there should have been no reason Priest shouldn't have. We were 13-3 that year and considered one of the favorites to go to the SB.

BTW - In 2003 Priest was 9th in rushing at 1420 yds but had 27 TD's.
Maybe if he was 1st then he might have won but who knows. Jamal Lewis had 2066 yds rushing that year which would have been hard to beat.

Munson
01-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Priest didn't get much publicity in '03 for his touchdown record because Jamal Lewis rushed for over 2,000 yards that same season. To the media, 2,000 yards sounds sexier than 27 rushing touchdowns.

Kabals
01-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Priest didn't get much publicity in '03 for his touchdown record because Jamal Lewis rushed for over 2,000 yards that same season. To the media, 2,000 yards sounds sexier than 27 rushing touchdowns.

I agree with you about the yardage thing over TDs...it's mind-numbingly retarded to value yards over points. It's like these dumbass morons in baseball saying that batting average is the best indicator of how valuable a hitter is, and anyone with an inkling of baseball knowledge knows that on base percentage and slugging percentage is a much better indicator. Who's a better hitter? Joe Randa or Adam Dunn? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Gimmie the touchdowns. Look at Tiki Barber this year. All those yards and not a lot of scores. There's a difference between knowing how to run the football between the 20's and in the red zone.

|Zach|
01-02-2006, 12:19 AM
I would an added ability for Holmes to get yards at a lot of points. As good as he was there were a lot of times where we needed him to grind out yards to kill the clock and he just couldnt do it at all. It was like...ok either he is going to make some amazing touchdown or we are gonna go 3 and out.

Our O's lack of ability to take a lead with something around 6 mins and not be able to bleed the clock with Holmes around hurt as badly at times.

Joe Seahawk
01-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Shaun stats the last 2 years..

723 carries for 3576 yards for a 4.94 average per carry and 43 rushing TDs.

He also has never missed a start and is the only player in NFL History to score 15 TD's in 5 consecutive seasons..

Those are some SICK stats, he deserves the MVP.

BigMeatballDave
01-02-2006, 01:04 AM

He also has never missed a start and is the only player in NFL History to score 15 TD's in 5 consecutive seasons..

Those are some SICK stats, he deserves the MVP.Yup. Sure makes for a HUGE bargaining chip this offseason...

htismaqe
01-02-2006, 05:43 AM
Shawn Alexander is being considered for the MVP because his team is a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Priest Holmes' accomplishment was overshadowed by Clinton Portis and the Minnesota Vikings setting records against our defense.

If our 2003 team wasn't a total fraud, Priest would have had a better chance...

phxchief
01-02-2006, 06:46 AM

Those are some SICK stats, he deserves the MVP.

NFC West.

End. Of. Story.

KChiefs1
01-02-2006, 07:41 AM
This sounds bad, but I just wish LJ had had the WHOLE 2005 season as the starter to see what kinda numbers he would have put up this season.

Ralphy Boy
01-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Priest was completely overlooked that year in the MVP ballotting, as was LJ this year and they both owe it to our defense sucking ass.

If we had been capable of beating a couple of the teams we didn't (Eagles, Bills, Cowboys) we'd have been in the playoffs this year and I'd like to think that LJ would have gotten more press.
You tell me who was more impressive over the same period of time, in the last nine games of the season.
LJ rushed for 1,351 yards & 16 TD's.
Alexander rushed for 1,104 yards & 15 TD's.

In 2003, Priest had 1,420 yards rushing & 27 TD's plus 690 yards receiving. 2,110 total yards
2005 Alexander had 1,880 yards rushing & 27 TD's plus 78 receiving yards & 1 TD. 1,958 total yards

In both cases, because our D sucks and our star players don't get their dues. Manning won the MVP in 2003 with 29 TD's & 4,267 yards. Nice, but the numbers weren't astronomical and considering Priest , he split the award with McNair who threw for 24 TD's & 3,215 yards. McNair also added 138 yards rushing & 4 TD's. Favre threw for more TD's than both of them that year at 32 and more yards than McNair at 3,361. Hell Jamal Lewis had 12 200 yard games in 2003 and he was more deserving than Manning or McNair, IMO, but because his team didn't fair as well...

I guess when your run D is as bad as ours was in 2003, allowing 5 TD's in one game to Portis & allowing 2,344 yards & 18 TD's rushing against us, it's hard to make a case that your RB, who gained 1,420 yards & 27 TD's, deserved to win.
We did have 2,382 (4th) yards rushing in 2005 & allowed 1,570 (7th).

Kabals
01-02-2006, 08:38 AM
I agree with all that. And I want to restate that I don't believe anyone is saying that Alexander doesn't deserve the MVP talk, but there are a few of us wondering why, when looking at the numbers, Holmes wasn't considered moreso in 2003.

I remember when he broke the record against the Bears. I remember it vividly. My grandfather had passed away at 2:30am that morning, and we were sitting at my grandmother's house watching the game, everyone was just kinda out of it obviously. When he broke the record, I turned to my dad and said, "I bet the rest of the country will react to this record the same way we are right now."

It made headlines in KC, but it wasn't the groundbreaking experience you'd expect from a record breaking moment. If anything, it caused more stupid flame wars on messageboards between KC and STL fans.

StcChief
01-02-2006, 08:40 AM
LJ crushes his record next year. So who cares.
More domaint runner than SA.

Mile High Mania
01-02-2006, 08:43 AM
LJ crushes his record next year. So who cares.
More domaint runner than SA.

Alexander has been consistently dominating for the last 5 years... LJ looks to be a top RB for years to come, we'll see.

phxchief
01-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Alexander has been consistently average, yet productive consistenlty

Alexander is as far from a dominating back as you can get.

Kerberos
01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
NFC West.

End. Of. Story.

YUP

Had LJ started all season this wouldn't even need mentioning cause he would have broken Dickersons single season record without a doubt.

Had the Chiefs had Seahawks CUSH schedule I am sure we would have home field throughout right now as well.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda but didn't seems to be our luck.

:banghead: :cuss: