PDA

View Full Version : Larry Johnson a Jim Brown clone?

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2006, 02:00 AM
I've been thinking about it, and he runs very very similar in Brown's glory days. Even the media is taking notice of this, When they did verbalize the comparison the broadcaster pauses because it's sacrelige to compare a RB to the greatest RB ever to dawn a football uniform, but that's who he looks and plays like. The broadcasters then the announcer/reporter has this shock of amazement before they go to a diferent segway.

Logical
01-02-2006, 02:03 AM
There was a thread posted on an article about this topic. It is quite premature to make the comparison.

Tribal Warfare
01-02-2006, 02:06 AM
There was a thread posted on an article about this topic. It is quite premature to make the comparison.

I agree, but I'm just pointing out that the media is so astounded by Johnson that they compare him with Jim Brown and they seemed shocked when they utter the comparison

Logical
01-02-2006, 02:11 AM
I agree, but I'm just pointing out that the media is so astounded by Johnson that they compare him with Jim Brown and they seemed shocked when they utter the comparison

You will enjoy this article I believe:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13485699.htm

Deberg_1990
01-02-2006, 02:13 AM
Well he did have a very Jim Brown like 7.7 YPC average today. Lets wait until he has about 8 seasons before we make such comparisons.

milkman
01-02-2006, 02:22 AM

I don't understand why it is considered premature to compare styles.

Can you explain that to me.

I watch Reggie Bush, and I can't help but to draw a parallel between the way he moves and the way Sayers moved.

LJ's style is comparable to Jim Brown's.

He hasn't yet proven he's as great, but it doesn't diminish the fact that his combination of speed and power, and the way he punishes potential tacklers is similiar.

Logical
01-02-2006, 02:29 AM
I don't understand why it is considered premature to compare styles.

Can you explain that to me.

I watch Reggie Bush, and I can't help but to draw a parallel between the way he moves and the way Sayers moved.

LJ's style is comparable to Jim Brown's.

He hasn't yet proven he's as great, but it doesn't diminish the fact that his combination of speed and power, and the way he punishes potential tackles is similiar.Well for one, even I am not old enough to have watched Brown except at the very end of his career. He was more of a power back by then and was really not all that nimble. I understand he was amazing in the early years of his career. LJ is powerful and fast but has not shown a tremendous nimbleness yet.

Ultra Peanut
01-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Let's hope he doesn't take to wearing kofias.

Logical
01-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Let's hope he doesn't take to wearing kofias.ROFL

milkman
01-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Well for one, even I am not old enough to have watched Brown except at the very end of his career. He was more of a power back by then and was really not all that nimble. I understand he was amazing in the early years of his career. LJ is powerful and fast but has not shown a tremendous nimbleness yet.

Yeah, I only saw Brown during the latter stages of his career also.

So that is the comparison I am drawing from.

He was still fast, strong and punishing.

RedDread
01-02-2006, 02:38 AM
While it's fun to compare LJ to the greats of old, I think that he will become a legend in his own rite. The greatest players of all time aren't compared to anyone else, except to say that they are better than everyone who has come before them and everyone who has come after. LJ will redefine the running back position and the former "greats" will bow before his bronze shrine in Canton, Ohio. His sweat will be discovered as the sole cure for cancer and rubbing his image on the scalp will prevent baldness. Although he never cries, his tears power a soon to be discovered time machine that only Larry will be able to navigate. Armed with a group of highly trained Marines (Codename: Leon's Legion) he will travel back to 1930's Germany to kill Hitler to prevent the second World War. Upon his return to the present "The Roc" will become the international symbol of peace.

And of course Jay-Z will become the richest man in the world following the meteoric rise of TeamRoc publicly traded stock upon the discovery of LJ's christ-like powers.

htismaqe
01-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Well for one, even I am not old enough to have watched Brown except at the very end of his career. He was more of a power back by then and was really not all that nimble. I understand he was amazing in the early years of his career. LJ is powerful and fast but has not shown a tremendous nimbleness yet.

there's one person who is old enough.

Skip has been comparing him to Brown for almost a year.

Props to a fellow LJ-backer...

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 07:10 AM
there's one person who is old enough.

Skip has been comparing him to Brown for almost a year.

Props to a fellow LJ-backer...
Thanks, Parker. I was twelve when Brown started playing pro ball. I was just discovering football and had no idea I was witnessing greatness. When I first saw LJ I was reminded of both Brown and John Riggins. All three had that speed and power. Riggins didn't maintain that ypc as he was used as a short yardage back later in Washington. But LJ has very similar early numbers to Brown as well as resembling him. I don' know if LJ can maintain Brown's pace as Brown was bigger than most LBs of the day and could carry them several yards. But I'm very impressed with LJ.

StcChief
01-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Growing up watching Jim Brown
the comparision of style of running is there.

If he is as durable only time will tell.

KChiefs1
01-02-2006, 09:37 AM
It's the way of the world....

Reggie Bush = Gale Sayers
Larry Johnson = Jim Brown

It's the way it is....

RedDread
01-03-2006, 07:10 AM
It's the way of the world....

Reggie Bush = Gale Sayers
Larry Johnson = Jim Brown

It's the way it is....

Sorry, no

LJ = Jesus with a 2nd level burst

Saul Good
01-03-2006, 10:33 AM
LJ = Bo Jackson

Baby Lee
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
LJ = Bo Jackson
No one else had Bo's toe first, appearing to be plodding while smoking the 2ndary, running style.
Never has something so ugly produced such beautiful results.

Adept Havelock
01-03-2006, 11:32 AM
LJ as Jim Brown? Maybe someday when he's forced to register those forearms as lethal weapons like JB used to use them.....

Something to be said for the similarities of running style, though.

I'll reserve judgement until I see if LJ can maintain a lifetime 5.5 YPC average. So far he's well above it, I believe.

Saul Good
01-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Johnson doesn't look like he's fast until you see a DB trying to catch him. My absolute favorite thing to watch is Johnson in the open field vs a DB. They don't even try to tackle him. They've seen the film and know what happens when someone gets in his way. He crushes them then stands over them and rubs it in.

Skip Towne
01-03-2006, 11:38 AM
LJ as Jim Brown? Maybe someday when he's forced to register those forearms as lethal weapons like JB used to use them.....

Something to be said for the similarities of running style, though.

I'll reserve judgement until I see if LJ can maintain a lifetime 5.5 YPC average. So far he's well above it, I believe.
Brown's career ypc is 5.2. LJ is at 5.1.