PDA

View Full Version : Rivera to interview with lions

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 11:26 AM
i guess Saunders hasn't taken Lions job yet.

Rivera could be interviewed by Lions this week
Saturday, January 2, 2006
By Tom Kowalski

PITTSBURGH -- Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera could be among the first head coaching candidates to be interviewed by the Detroit Lions.

Interim head coach Dick Jauron, who finished with a 1-4 record after taking over for the fired Steve Mariucci, isn't expected to return. The Lions lost 35-21 to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.

The Lions are expected to interview at least a half-dozen candidates and Rivera could be among the first.

According to NFL rules, there are certain restrictions on interviewing assistant coaches whose teams are alive in the playoffs. Only assistant coaches who have a bye week during the first round of the playoffs can be interviewed during that week. Because the Chicago Bears are the NFC's No. 2 seed and have a bye next weekend, the Lions can set up an interview with him in Chicago at some point during this week.

Lions president Matt Millen, however, has not publicly addressed candidates he plans to interview.

During the second week of the playoffs, only assistants from wild-card playoff teams can be interviewed. However, in both cases, job offers cannot be made to the assistants until after their teams are out of the playoffs.

Beginning with the third week of the playoffs and going through the Super Bowl, no assistants from the remaining playoff teams are allowed to be interviewed.

Assistant coaches whose teams have been eliminated from the playoffs are free to speak with other teams at any time.

Rivera has been a defensive coordinator with the Bears for the last two years and is the kind of tough-minded coach Millen is looking for. Rivera played for the Bears for eight years at linebacker (1984-92).

The Lions' 2006 home schedule has been set. In addition to games against the other three NFC North division teams (Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears), the Lions will host the San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins and Atlanta Falcons.

On the road, in addition to the three division opponents, the Lions will play the Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, New England Patriots, New York Jets and the Dallas Cowboys.

Three special teams mistakes in the first half led to all of Pittsburgh's 21 first-half points.

The first mishap came on Detroit's first punt, which Antwaan Randle El returned 81 yards for a touchdown. After the Lions came back to tie the game, Pittsburgh returned the ensuing kickoff 63 yards to set up the Steelers' second touchdown. Pittsburgh had to drive only 33 yards for the score.

The final mistake came late in the first half when Detroit's Eddie Drummond fumbled a punt return on the Lions 37-yard line with 2:35 remaining in the second quarter. The Steelers only needed four plays to get the ball into the end zone, taking a 21-14 lead.

"Our team is pretty banged up physically and it's affected our special teams," Jauron said. "There weren't a lot of changes that we could make."

Joey Harrington's 130 passing yards in the first quarter tied his season high for most yards in a quarter. . . . Harrington threw two touchdown passes in the first quarter. The Steelers hadn't given up a touchdown pass in almost a month (against the Cincinnati Bengals on Dec. 4). . . . Detroit's Roy Williams caught the 16th touchdown pass in his two-year career, the most ever for a Lions receiver in his first two seasons. Cloyce Box (1949-50) had 15 scoring catches in his first two years. . . . Shawn Bryson's 63-yard pass reception, which set up the Lions' second touchdown, was the longest of his career. His previous best had been a 32-yard reception. . . . Steelers head coach Bill Cowher, who has a 4-1 record against the Lions, is now 100-1-1 when his team is leading a game by 11 points or more.

nascher
01-02-2006, 11:28 AM
with matt millen at the helm they will choose the wrong guy for sure.

gblowfish
01-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Why would Geraldo give up his TV Gig?

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Why would anyone want to work under Matt Millen?

Deberg_1990
01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Why would anyone want to work under Matt Millen?

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! Thats like career suicide

phxchief
01-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Everyone is going to be interviewed by everyone.

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 11:58 AM
This can't be true. I read from a very reliable source that Al Saunders is gonna be the next coach in Detroit. TODAY! :p

shaneo69
01-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Rivera also looks to be the leading choice for the Rams...

Martz fired by Rams
BY JEFF GORDON
STLTODAY.COM SPORTS
01/02/2006

Not long ago, the Rams were the envy of the National Football League.

The “Greatest Show of Turf” set new trends for offensive football. The Rams became the first NFL team to score 500 or more points three seasons in a row.

Mastermind Mike Martz attacked teams with four-receiver sets, baffling alignments and daring play calling. The Rams played fast, rolled up lots of points and forced defensive coordinators to make sweeping adjustments.

“We had a good run,” Rams president John Shaw said Monday, after announcing that Martz had been fired. “I would say it was very exciting and successful.”

So why did he fire Martz?

“There were several reasons, including the general direction of the team,” Shaw said. “I decided that a change in the head-coaching position was in the best interest of the football team.”

In his five full seasons as head coach, Martz won 10 or more games three times and reached the playoffs four times. Naturally, somebody asked Shaw if he could recall such a successful coach getting the axe.

“One just happened today in Green Bay,” Shaw said, referring to the Mike Sherman termination. “The answer is yes, I’ve seen successful coaches in the NFL get fired.”

What went wrong? How could the Martz regime end so ignominiously?

“I’m not sure we ever got off on the right foot this year,” Shaw said. “We never got in stride.”

Martz sat out the bulk of the 2005 season while recovering from a heart tissue infection, then got fired soon after gaining medical clearance to coach again. The team staggered to a 6-10 finish, with interim coach Joe Vitt running the show.

All the wild reports of discord between Martz, Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt and other executives circulated widely in the media. “There was quite a bit of disruption,” Shaw said.

Martz’s firing had been rumored for weeks, so he wasn’t surprised when he got the call Monday morning. “There was a sense of expectation that it would happen,” Shaw said.

The search for Martz’s successor is underway. Shaw confirmed that the Rams received permission to speak to Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who has flourished under former Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith.

Because the Bears have a bye week in the playoffs, the Rams will be able to interview Rivera before Chicago’s season ends.

Several other Rams candidates are assistant coaches on playoff-bound teams. Shaw said Vitt is NOT a candidate to replace Martz -– and he said there are no college head coaches currently on his wish list.

Some of the candidates will be former NFL head coaches. Some will be defensive-minded coaches, although Shaw said that isn’t mandatory for this job. “Not necessarily prefer it, but we need to improve our defense and special teams,” he said.

While Shaw said he had no timetable to make a hiring, he said “I’m hoping this process will be resolved in the next three or four weeks.”

Bowser
01-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Dammit, Phil!

:cuss:

Hoover
01-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I do not want Rivera. He has done a good job this year, but he needs more experience.

hawkchief
01-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Rivera is this year's token minority interview, although he might actually get one of the jobs.

StcChief
01-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I could see him with the Lambs.

Their D is bad. but Oline is bad as well..

Hoover
01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Rivera is this year's token minority interview, although he might actually get one of the jobs.
I agree. How long did it take for Weis and the Pats old DC to get jobs? Years. Rivera was a radio dude, then quality control coach for the bears before being names DC. I want a guy who has been a HC somewhere, college, little league, something.

tk13
01-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I wonder about that.... I don't wanna call Rivera overrated, because I wouldn't say that, he's done a great job.

But... he also has a defensive minded head coach ahead of him. And he doesn't have that much experience period. I think Dick Jauron deserves almost as much credit for building that defense as Rivera does. Lovie and Rivera finished the job, no doubt, but Jauron drafted the centerpieces to that defense, Urlacher and Mike Brown, as well as several other key players.

I'd like to know more about Rivera before being sold on him... being a head coach involves a lot of people and organizational skills too, not just calling a great game with a bunch of great pieces that have been handed to you.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 03:59 PM
who's more responsible for the success the bears defense this year .... rivera or lovie smith?

my first instinct would be smith.

gotta beware the successful coordinator who flourishes under a HC with the same specialty.

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
who's more responsible for the success the bears defense this year .... rivera or lovie smith?

my first instinct would be smith.

gotta beware the successful coordinator who flourishes under a HC with the same specialty.

It's the coaching tree from Monte Kiffin.

Monte taught Lovie and Lovie has taught it to Ron. Nothing wrong with that.

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 04:03 PM

I figured that would be Jimmy Raye. ROFL

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 04:06 PM
It's the coaching tree from Monte Kiffin.

Monte taught Lovie and Lovie has taught it to Ron. Nothing wrong with that.
oh i agree ... but after this short of time are we sure that Rivera has already learned it or is he just riding smith's coat tails right now?