PDA

View Full Version : Chris Mortensen coaching update at halftime of the Iowa-Florida game

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Said this was the first time he has heard that Kirk Ferentz would listen to offers from NFL teams. WOW!

He was on the top of my list months ago.

phxchief
01-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Why? WHYYYYY??

This guy is the LEAST deserving of all the HC hype people get these days.

Hoover
01-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Why? WHYYYYY??

Bull shit

He was the Oline Coach for the Ravens

Built a program in Iowa (NOT EASY TO DO BECAUSE ITS EFFIN IOWA)

Lots of his players are good pros.

I would be thrilled if he was HC of the Chiefs.

Hoover
01-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Why? WHYYYYY??

Thats also what every single Hawkeye fan said when he got the job in Iowa City.

phxchief
01-02-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't give a damn what he did in college....

And O-line coach in the Ravens? That's what you're going to support him with?

Wooo000hhWWW - s00per!

petegz28
01-02-2006, 11:01 AM
An O-Line Coach used to coaching with a RB like Lewis would be perfect for and LJ based offense. Power running and play action! Bring it!

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Thats also what every single Hawkeye fan said when he got the job in Iowa City.

Exactly. Everbody in Iowa wanted Stoops. Now they are glad they don't have him.

YOU may think he is the least deserving of all canidates but Mortensen is saying he is at the TOP of everyones list in the NFL.

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't give a damn what he did in college....

And O-line coach in the Ravens? That's what you're going to support him with?

Wooo000hhWWW - s00per!

And I'm sure all NFL people totally ignore what the success of possible coaching canidates from the college ranks have. :rolleyes:

It's called a resume. You should care.

alanm
01-02-2006, 11:06 AM
By that reasoning I'd rather have Bo Pelini from LSU. He was a LB coach for the Packers for 10 yrs. Had a great season for the Huskers as DC in 03 and was Co DC at Oklahoma last season. Had a great season for the Tigers as DC this year. Plus he's a fiery leader. He's got it all over Ferentz

HolmeZz
01-02-2006, 11:28 AM
He's better than Stoops.

phxchief
01-02-2006, 11:29 AM
By that reasoning I'd rather have Bo Pelini from LSU. He was a LB coach for the Packers for 10 yrs. Had a great season for the Huskers as DC in 03 and was Co DC at Oklahoma last season. Had a great season for the Tigers as DC this year. Plus he's a fiery leader. He's got it all over Ferentz

Thank you. Someone finally gets it.

The point is that Ferentz get this MAJOR hype like he's accomplished SO much in both arenas, when frankly, his resume doesn't hold a candle to a NUMBER of different coaches you never heard a word about.

KevB
01-02-2006, 11:32 AM
He's better than Stoops.

Based upon what? How many NCs has he won? I'm not picking sides, but I think it's a huge reach to definitively say Ferentz > Stoops.

HolmeZz
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Based upon what? How many NCs has he won? I'm not picking sides, but I think it's a huge reach to definitively say Ferentz > Stoops.

IMO Ferentz is 100x the talent evaluator that Stoops is. Stoops has underachieved given the hype his Oklahoma teams have received and Ferentz has made Iowa a legitimate contender for the Big Ten every year.

I really don't want either to be coaching KC next year anyway though.

mlyonsd
01-02-2006, 11:37 AM

So what you're saying is Pelini can't hold down a full time job.

I'd much rather take a chance at a guy that has HC at some level before taking a chance at a college position coach. Or at least an OC or DC in the NFL like Saunders.

Ferentz has paid his dues going from college assistant, to the pros, then back to college as a HC.

As far as fiery goes, Bilichek has proven it isn't necessary.

Amnorix
01-02-2006, 11:46 AM
You're missing the Belichick connection, which is currently all the rage in the NFL. Ferentz was BB's OLine coach in Cleveland, then had college success.

Belichick's perceived proteges (true or not) are Weis, Crennell, Saban, Ferentz, Pat Hill, and maybe Al Groh. You could expand this to include half the Ravens front office, like Ozzie Newsome, who was with him in Cleveland, as well as Scott Pioli and the other current Patriot coaches, of course.

For good or for bad, Saban's success this year at Miami and Weis' at ND has everybody wondering if they too should tap into someone who worked for BB at some point in time.

Right now, Jimmy Johnson's disciples are "out" and BB's are "in."

Not that they will succeed either, but I'm just saying that that is part of what's going on here with Ferentz.

alanm
01-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Thank you. Someone finally gets it.

The point is that Ferentz get this MAJOR hype like he's accomplished SO much in both arenas, when frankly, his resume doesn't hold a candle to a NUMBER of different coaches you never heard a word about.
Not to mention that Pelini is still young. He's only 36. :thumb:

mlyonsd
01-02-2006, 11:49 AM
You're missing the Belichick connection, which is currently all the rage in the NFL. Ferentz was BB's OLine coach in Cleveland, then had college success.

Belichick's perceived proteges (true or not) are Weis, Crennell, Saban, Ferentz, Pat Hill, and maybe Al Groh. You could expand this to include half the Ravens front office, like Ozzie Newsome, who was with him in Cleveland, as well as Scott Pioli and the other current Patriot coaches, of course.

For good or for bad, Saban's success this year at Miami and Weis' at ND has everybody wondering if they too should tap into someone who worked for BB at some point in time.

Not that they will succeed either, but I'm just saying that that is part of what's going on here with Ferentz.

Blasphemy. It's all about Hayden Fry disciples. :harumph:

alanm
01-02-2006, 11:54 AM
So what you're saying is Pelini can't hold down a full time job.

I'd much rather take a chance at a guy that has HC at some level before taking a chance at a college position coach. Or at least an OC or DC in the NFL like Saunders.

Ferentz has paid his dues going from college assistant, to the pros, then back to college as a HC.

As far as fiery goes, Bilichek has proven it isn't necessary.
No, Pelini left when Solich got axed. I wanted him or Turner Gill to get the Husker HC job but.. oh well. After that Stoops (life long friend) hired him on at Oklahoma as Co DC and then when Les Miles took over at LSU he gave Pelini the DC job. It ain't ever going to happen but I'd love to see Pelini in KC as the new DC.

Calcountry
01-02-2006, 12:04 PM

Not that they will succeed either, but I'm just saying that that is part of what's going on here with Ferentz.Please, hurry up and win another Super Bowl, so that the NFL p*ssies in N.Y. and Tagliabue start crying.

alanm
01-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Please, hurry up and win another Super Bowl, so that the NFL p*ssies in N.Y. and Tagliabue start crying.
Haven't you heard? Denver has already won this years SB. You can read all about it over on the Mange. :)

Cochise
01-02-2006, 12:10 PM
If we're going to a college coach, let's get Ferentz

SBK
01-02-2006, 12:14 PM

I'd be okay with that. (and I hate the Hawks)

alanm
01-02-2006, 12:16 PM
I think he's flunking his audition.

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 12:25 PM
I think he's flunking his audition.

And Nick Saban flunked his in his last bowl game last year and I bet the Dolphins are sure glad they took him anyways.

It's 1 game. And besides their making a comeback. :p

Thig Lyfe
01-02-2006, 01:02 PM
He's better than Stoops.
Yep. Stoops is a Butch Davis waiting to happen.

I think Al Saunders or Herm Edwards would be best, though.

KevB
01-02-2006, 02:55 PM
IMO Ferentz is 100x the talent evaluator that Stoops is. Stoops has underachieved given the hype his Oklahoma teams have received

What are you basing this on? Stoops helped evaluate the talent that took KState out of football hell, then he went to Florida and evaluated the talent that led to Spurrier having his greatest success, then he went to a down-trodden OU program and has taken them to NC games. I'd say that's pretty solid talent evaluation. You can argue he doesn't have the NFL pedigree that Ferentz has, but to argue that Ferentz has been better at the college level is ridiculous.

And I'm ok with either of them as our next head coach.

htismaqe
01-02-2006, 04:43 PM
NFL VP's, GM's, and owners of 32 teams = dumb

People who have never watched a down of Iowa football until today = smart