PDA

View Full Version : Why Would We Want Stoops?

petegz28
01-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Seriously with as much veteran talent we have why do you bring in a coach without any NFL experience?

I will admit I don't follow college football so don't know the hype beyond Stoops to begin with.

But even so I think I would rather have someone who was even an assistant in the NFL than a college coach.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 11:33 AM
:shrug:

siberian khatru
01-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I would be floored beyond belief if Carl went for a college coach, especially one with NO NFL coaching experience (as an assistant).

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 11:38 AM
I would be floored beyond belief if Carl went for a college coach, especially one with NO NFL coaching experience (as an assistant).
agreed...

i don't see Peterson hiring someone without some kind of NFL experience.

path of least Resistance

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 11:38 AM
He might come in here and do well if he let someone else pick the players.

Frankie
01-02-2006, 12:27 PM
To anyone who wants Stoops, two words: Steve Spurrier.

Here's two more words: Butch Davis

PastorMikH
01-02-2006, 05:50 PM
He wins games. He took over a program that had went 5 seasons without a winning record. Since then he's won/loss record is something like 67-16. In 7 years he's been to 3 national championship games and won one (2000).

For those that say he can't recruit - Peterson was a Hiesman canidate as a FRESHMAN.

Stoops may lack JFL experience, but but he has fire and isn't afraid to be aggressive with calls.

I'd rather have him than someone that has already choked someplace else in the NFL.

tk13
01-02-2006, 06:00 PM
The no experience thing worries me only because it's a different game dealing with professional athletes than college ones. At least that what everybody seems to say, and the results of guys like Spurrier would tend to agree with that. Would the players buy into what he's selling? Especially a veteran team like this. I'd rather have a guy like Stoops with a young inexperienced team.

nychief
01-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't know fellas, many of the great coaches have come from the college ranks, including Vermeil. I understand the grips, I would not be happy with Stoops, but Butch Davis was the second comming of Jimmy Johnson before he flamed out (like Gregg Williams) his first time around. The Iowa coach is the only one I would be okay with - from those ranks - because he has been in the NFL and has been surrounded by great coaches like Bill Snyder.

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd prefer a guy like Jim Tressel if we were going for a college coach.

The guy is a winner. He's a bit conservative with the O, but his defense is vicious and relentless.

I'll never forget the hit that mashed Willis MacGahee's knee into spaghetti.

morphius
01-02-2006, 06:46 PM
I'd rather have him than someone that has already choked someplace else in the NFL.

That's pretty much the main thing for me.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 06:52 PM
He wins games. He took over a program that had went 5 seasons without a winning record. Since then he's won/loss record is something like 67-16. In 7 years he's been to 3 national championship games and won one (2000).

For those that say he can't recruit - Peterson was a Hiesman canidate as a FRESHMAN.

Stoops may lack JFL experience, but but he has fire and isn't afraid to be aggressive with calls.

It's not that he can't recruit, it's that he doesn't know who to recruit. He won the NC with Blakes players and hasn't done much with his own. 7-4 this year with his choices. BTW, pro coaches don't have to recruit.

Frankie
01-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Of course if Saunders had gone to three SuperBowls with San Diego and won one you'd say he was the choker who lost two Super Bowls! That's the type of treatment the guy is getting from Al-Bashers on this BB.

Frankie
01-02-2006, 07:16 PM
That's pretty much the main thing for me.
Do you even know the circumstances under which Saunders had to perform as a head coach? And while you're at it google a guy named Belichik who "choked someplace else in the NFL" before getting the NE gig. :rolleyes:

Frankie
01-02-2006, 07:17 PM
It's not that he can't recruit, it's that he doesn't know who to recruit. He won the NC with Blakes players and hasn't done much with his own. 7-4 this year with his choices. BTW, pro coaches don't have to recruit.
BIN-freaking-GO!

Deberg_1990
01-02-2006, 07:18 PM

He would hire Ferentz before Stoops. Ferentz has coached in the NFL as an assistant before.

Hoover
01-02-2006, 07:24 PM

I think it will be hard to find any HC candidate with JFL experience!

morphius
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Do you even know the circumstances under which Saunders had to perform as a head coach? And while you're at it google a guy named Belichik who "choked someplace else in the NFL" before getting the NE gig. :rolleyes:
Hey, as far as Saunders is concerened I think enough time has passed for him to get another look. Same thing could have probably been said of Belichick. Basically I just don't want one of the recent HC failures in here.

My fear with Saunders is that he would keep the same D coaching staff, and I feel that most of them must go. Well, and his relationship with LJ, or lack there of, and his unwillingness to use him for so long.

KevB
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM

So, he's not a great recruiter by your assertion, but he's been to three National Championship games with a former coaches underachieving, talented players. That must mean he can coach his ass off....which is exactly what we're looking for at the NFL level, correct? After all, as you stated, you don't have to recruit in the NFL.

Frankie
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Hey, as far as Saunders is concerened I think enough time has passed for him to get another look. Same thing could have probably been said of Belichick. Basically I just don't want one of the recent HC failures in here.

My fear with Saunders is that he would keep the same D coaching staff, and I feel that most of them must go. Well, and his relationship with LJ, or lack there of, and his unwillingness to use him for so long.
He's welcom to keep all of the 'O' coaches as far as I'm concerned. I would like him to sit down with Gun and clean out the rif raf from the 'D' staff. There are a lot of unemployed 'D' assistant coaches out there who can take Giunta to school.

Frankie
01-02-2006, 07:33 PM
He's welcom to keep all of the 'O' coaches as far as I'm concerned. I would like him to sit down with Gun and clean out the rif raf from the 'D' staff. There are a lot of unemployed 'D' assistant coaches out there who can take Giunta to school.

I also think he needs to put Gansz's record under the michroscope and decide if our kick coverage problems are due to lack of talent or his scheme?

morphius
01-02-2006, 07:35 PM
That is my hope if he does take the job.

I'm not really here to promote Stoops, but I fear guys like Hasslet, Davis, etc...

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Junior Football League?

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Junior Football League?

New nickname for the Big 10/11.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 07:41 PM
So, he's not a great recruiter by your assertion, but he's been to three National Championship games with a former coaches underachieving, talented players. That must mean he can coach his ass off....which is exactly what we're looking for at the NFL level, correct? After all, as you stated, you don't have to recruit in the NFL.
See post #5. BTW, I didn't say he couldn't recruit. I said he didn't know WHO to recruit. Did you even read this thread?

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 07:43 PM
New nickname for the Big 10/11.
:LOL:

PastorMikH
01-02-2006, 08:18 PM

Eh, I seemed to have failed to move my finger down one spot before hitting a key.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Eh, I seemed to have failed to move my finger down one spot before hitting a key.
That's OK, we had a good time with it.

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 08:24 PM

My gut tells me the exact opposite. After the D screwing up his O and the entire team for the last few years I would think Al would clean house on defense and realize the importance of having a solid DC that the players listen to.

I also don't really blame him at all for the LJ situation. Priest was the best runner in Chiefs history. You don't sit him for a guy who isn't as rounded.

JBucc
01-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Don't want him as HC, but if he wants to get a start in the NFL with us as an assistant or something that's cool with me.

Frankie
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
That's OK, we had a good time with it.
With the finger?

Frankie
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Don't want him as HC, but if he wants to get a start in the NFL with us as an assistant or something that's cool with me.
Who?

KevB
01-02-2006, 08:35 PM
See post #5. BTW, I didn't say he couldn't recruit. I said he didn't know WHO to recruit. Did you even read this thread?

First, what's the difference between not knowing WHO to recruit and not being a good recruiter? Isn't that essentially the same thing?

Second, I wasn't necessarily addressing you in particular regarding his ability to get it done at the NFL level. Yes, I read the thread, although I didn't remember your one sentence brilliance three pages ago
:p .

Frankly, I'm not sure who I want to be the coach at this point, but I'm quite sure most on the board know less about who would be a good coach than they do about free agency, the draft, in game adjustments, etc. I think there's so much that goes into being a good coach that unless you do some heavy duty due diligence, get to know the person on a personal level, and speak directly to those he's worked with, that it's impossible to predict.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 08:36 PM
With the finger?
Yeah, dumbass, with the finger.

JBucc
01-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Who?
Er...I thought we were talking about Stoops...

Mecca
01-02-2006, 08:39 PM

Butch Davis had NFL coaching experience when he was hired, he wasn't the same thing Stoops is.

This isn't exactly a great year to be looking for a coach, the crop isn't that great.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 08:44 PM
First, what's the difference between not knowing WHO to recruit and not being a good recruiter? Isn't that essentially the same thing?

Second, I wasn't necessarily addressing you in particular regarding his ability to get it done at the NFL level. Yes, I read the thread, although I didn't remember your one sentence brilliance three pages ago
:p .

Frankly, I'm not sure who I want to be the coach at this point, but I'm quite sure most on the board know less about who would be a good coach than they do about free agency, the draft, in game adjustments, etc. I think there's so much that goes into being a good coach that unless you do some heavy duty due diligence, get to know the person on a personal level, and speak directly to those he's worked with, that it's impossible to predict. Being a good recruiter and knowing who to recruit are the same thing in your mind? Well, Dudley Dipshit, would you recruit a shitty tight end when there was a good one right next door ? You might be good a recruiting but you need to find out which one will be a star and who is crap. And if you are going to make snide comments, you'd best be sure the subject hasn't been covered. Even three pages back.

Frankie
01-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Er...I thought we were talking about Stoops...
My bad, I thought I was still in an Al Saunders thread.

KevB
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Being a good recruiter and knowing who to recruit are the same thing in your mind? Well, Dudley Dipshit, would you recruit a shitty tight end when there was a good one right next door ? You might be good a recruiting but you need to find out which one will be a star and who is crap. And if you are going to make snide comments, you'd best be sure the subject hasn't been covered. Even three pages back.

I know you get off on being an asshole on these boards, and good for you I guess. Name calling is really how I want to spend my time on the board. The "snide comment" was with a smilie.....thought that would indicate a light hearted jab.

Yes, knowing who to recruit and being a good recruiter go hand in hand. Isn't that a given? You're implying that Stoops is a good recruiter, but doesn't know who to recruit. If a coach doesn't know who to recruit, he gets the wrong (bad) players and his team is going to suck. In turn, he will not be known as a good recruiter.

BigRedChief
01-02-2006, 10:07 PM
What about Stoops being in King Carl's suite on Sunday?

WTF was that? There is no way I'm believing that was just innocent. Somebody was angling for a job, a raise, an extension or just press.

Guru
01-02-2006, 10:09 PM

EXACTLY!!!!

This is all KK wants to talk about too. Hire Stoops. Hire Stoops. WHY?

KcMizzou
01-02-2006, 10:17 PM

WTF was that? There is no way I'm believing that was just innocent. Somebody was angling for a job, a raise, an extension or just press.Supposedly, a KC news affiliate is saying that it never happened. According to the other thread anyway, I didn't see the report.

BigRedChief
01-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Supposedly, a KC news affiliate is saying that it never happened. According to the other thread anyway, I didn't see the report.

Who reported that this was fact Athan? Jack Harry?

KcMizzou
01-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Who reported that this was fact Athan? Jack Harry?I believe it was 810 WHB... Todd Leebo. (Sp?)

Edit* Nope... that was the Butch Davis thing...

BigRedChief
01-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I believe it was 810 WHB... Todd Leebo. (Sp?)

Edit* Nope... that was the Butch Davis thing...

Chit this would be easily verifiable. His personal suite is right next door to the press room.

KcMizzou
01-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Chit this would be easily verifiable. His personal suite is right next door to the press room.It's tough to say. Seems like everyone has a rumor to throw out, and half of them contradict each other. I suppose it'll get worse before it gets better.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 10:35 PM
I know you get off on being an asshole on these boards, and good for you I guess. Name calling is really how I want to spend my time on the board. The "snide comment" was with a smilie.....thought that would indicate a light hearted jab.

Yes, knowing who to recruit and being a good recruiter go hand in hand. Isn't that a given? You're implying that Stoops is a good recruiter, but doesn't know who to recruit. If a coach doesn't know who to recruit, he gets the wrong (bad) players and his team is going to suck. In turn, he will not be known as a good recruiter.
OK, in two separate posts you have said that I said he is a good recruiter and a bad recruiter. I have said neither. I haven't broached his ability as a recruiter as it is moot in the NFL. But you seem to think that a good recruiter gets only good players. Not so. You can be a good salesman selling a bad product. And you can be a good recruiter who recruits poor players. Get it? Stoops does good work, in the college ranks at least, when he has good players. I doubt his ability to judge talent. I also doubt his ability to transition to the NFL since he has no prior experience at that level. Do I like to be an asshole? Yes, to people who display copious amounts of ignorance.

SNR
01-02-2006, 10:47 PM

WTF was that? There is no way I'm believing that was just innocent. Somebody was angling for a job, a raise, an extension or just press.Could be something else too

:hump:

KevB
01-02-2006, 11:30 PM
OK, in two separate posts you have said that I said he is a good recruiter and a bad recruiter. I have said neither. I haven't broached his ability as a recruiter as it is moot in the NFL. But you seem to think that a good recruiter gets only good players. Not so. You can be a good salesman selling a bad product. And you can be a good recruiter who recruits poor players. Get it? Stoops does good work, in the college ranks at least, when he has good players. I doubt his ability to judge talent. I also doubt his ability to transition to the NFL since he has no prior experience at that level. Do I like to be an asshole? Yes, to people who display copious amounts of ignorance.

A good recruiter, to me, is also a good judge of talent. A good recruiter doesn't recruit poor players. He might not coach and develop them well, but a good recruiter sees talent, and sells himself/the program well. They go hand in hand imo. We apparently disagree on that, so I guess that makes me ignorant.
:rolleyes:

Frankie
01-03-2006, 12:08 PM
EXACTLY!!!!

This is all KK wants to talk about too. Hire Stoops. Hire Stoops. WHY?

Stoops is gonna be in WAAY over his head in the NFL.

Here's two more words: Dennis Erickson

jidar
01-03-2006, 12:20 PM
How often do College coaches do well right off the boat? We have too much talent to risk it that way.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
How often do College coaches do well right off the boat? We have too much talent to risk it that way.
Absolutely.

Baby Lee
01-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Funny how people can see the same thing so differently.
Some see the visor on Stoops and think Spurrier. Some see it and think Gruden.
I can't for the life of figure why someone would think Stoops would mirror Spurrier's NFL career. He's not some ego enamoured of his offensive gameplans. He's not some icon who lords over his college team like a pouty prince. He's not some guy who's more interested in hitting the country club links than reviewing game film.
I think the comparison is insulting.

phxchief
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
7-4 this year with his choices. .

Or, how about.......

8-4 with a Bowl victory over the #6 team in the country?

Mecca
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I can't for the life of figure why someone would think Stoops would mirror Spurrier's NFL career. He's not some ego enamoured of his offensive gameplans. He's not some icon who lords over his college team like a pouty prince. He's not some guy who's more interested in hitting the country club links than reviewing game film.

He was Spurriers DC down in Florida. He was thought of as a Spurrier protege at one time. That's where that comparison comes from, not the visor.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Gruden had NFL experience as an assistant coach before he became an NFL HC. That said, I'm not saying a true college HC will absolutely and surely fail when transformed to an NFL HC. Exceptions happen. But for every one of them there are a bunch of Spurriers, Davises and Ericksons. The Chiefs are not not in the right position for bringing in a wet-behind-the-ear pure college coach.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Gruden had NFL experience as an assistant coach before he became an NFL HC. That said, I'm not saying a true college HC will absolutely and surely fail when transformed to an NFL HC. Exceptions happen. But for every one of them there are a bunch of Spurriers, Davises and Ericksons. The Chiefs are not not in the right position for bringing in a wet-behind-the-ear pure college coach.

So bring in Ferentz, that's the best solution.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
So bring in Ferentz, that's the best solution.
I'd take him overr Stoops. But he is way down in my list. And no, it has nothing to do with him coaching the Hawks.

LiL stumppy
01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Stoops is a great college coach.But like other people said,we just don't know what he is going to do in the NFL.

PastorMikH
01-03-2006, 02:25 PM
FWIW, Stoops not making it because Spurrier didn't is jumping to conclusions. First off, Spurrier went to the Redskins who have an owner that is a bit too involved. He had a lot of bought players with egos that didn't mesh. Add in, he was for bringing in his former college players. Also keep this in mind. Marty is a good coach and he didn't make it in DC either.

PastorMikH
01-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Stoops is a great college coach.But like other people said,we just don't know what he is going to do in the NFL.

So let's let some other NFL team hire him and we can either watch him choke and allow us to say we were all right or we can watch him turn into the next Billicheck and have that team playing for championships on a regular basis.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 02:28 PM
FWIW, Stoops not making it because Spurrier didn't is jumping to conclusions. First off, Spurrier went to the Redskins who have an owner that is a bit too involved. He had a lot of bought players with egos that didn't mesh. Add in, he was for bringing in his former college players. Also keep this in mind. Marty is a good coach and he didn't make it in DC either.By your reasoning in your other posts, Marty didn't make it in KC either. So using Marty to support your point here is weak.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
So let's let some other NFL team hire him and we can either watch him choke and allow us to say we were all right or we can watch him turn into the next Billicheck and have that team playing for championships on a regular basis.That is your stand on Stoops. But you are hell bent against giving Saunders that same benefit of the doubt. I'm confused.

PastorMikH
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
By your reasoning in your other posts, Marty didn't make it in KC either. So using Marty to support your point here is weak.

I would challenge you to find a quote to back that up without blowing what I said out of context.

Marty did a fine job here in the regular season. He just stunk in the post-season. I think there were times when he made bad decisions at times, but all in all, he as a solid coach for us.

Baby Lee
01-03-2006, 02:33 PM
He was Spurriers DC down in Florida. He was thought of as a Spurrier protege at one time. That's where that comparison comes from, not the visor.
I knew he was Spurrier's DC, but it's ridiculous to call ANYONE on the D side of the ball a protege of Spurrier.
That's like calling Lovie Smith Mike Martz's protege, when he was in fact the only guy with the acumen to overcome Martz's total disinterest in defense.

PastorMikH
01-03-2006, 02:35 PM
That is your stand on Stoops. But you are bent against giving Saunders that same benefit of the doubt. I'm confused.

Saunders is only part of the reason our O became what it was. DV had A LOT to do with our O - including DV picking many of the key players (Green, Priest, Kennison, and so on). Without DV leading, I think Saunders will be comparable to Gunther without Marty leading him. I have also watched way too many play calls Saunders has bad and asked myself, "What is he thinking?" Add in, Saunders had complete control over the play calls. He had one of the better veteran QBs in the game and wouldn't allow Green to audible out of the play if he saw a breakdown on the D or saw that by the way the D lined up, the play wouldn't work.

Frankie
I would challenge you to find a quote to back that up without blowing what I said out of context.

Marty did a fine job here in the regular season. He just stunk in the post-season. I think there were times when he made bad decisions at times, but all in all, he as a solid coach for us.

Getting to the playoffs isn't enough for me. This team has made it to the playoffs for one game in the 3-4 years we've been legitimately competitive. Trying to patch what we have isn't going to get us any further than DV did. Let the coaches go, bring in Stoops and let him take us to the Promised Land. After all, he's taken the Sooners there 43% of the years he's coached them.

Brock
FWIW, Stoops not making it because Spurrier didn't is jumping to conclusions. First off, Spurrier went to the Redskins who have an owner that is a bit too involved. He had a lot of bought players with egos that didn't mesh. Add in, he was for bringing in his former college players. Also keep this in mind. Marty is a good coach and he didn't make it in DC either.

Spurrier tried to coach in the NFL the same way he did in college.

It didn't have anything to do with the owner of the team.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Spurrier tried to coach in the NFL the same way he did in college.

It didn't have anything to do with the owner of the team.
Yup.

LiL stumppy
01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
So let's let some other NFL team hire him and we can either watch him choke and allow us to say we were all right or we can watch him turn into the next Billicheck and have that team playing for championships on a regular basis.

I am just saying that we don't know how he is going to do.Not that we should not look into him or not.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Saunders is only part of the reason our O became what it was. DV had A LOT to do with our O - including DV picking many of the key players (Green, Priest, Kennison, and so on). Without DV leading, I think Saunders will be comparable to Gunther without Marty leading him. That argument should eliminate many hot candidates. Like Ron Rivera for example.

I have also watched way too many play calls Saunders has bad and asked myself, "What is he thinking?" If Saunders would send in calls that we all expected, stands to reason that the other guys on the field would expect them too. I have no problem with Saunders calling unexpected plays. I don't think he does it too much.

Add in, Saunders had complete control over the play calls. He had one of the better veteran QBs in the game and wouldn't allow Green to audible out of the play if he saw a breakdown on the D or saw that by the way the D lined up, the play wouldn't work.That's just about the only drawback to Saunders for me. I agree with you there. But there ir no PERFECT candidate out there. And in my book the positives of hiring Saunders far outweighs the negatives.

PastorMikH
01-03-2006, 03:39 PM
If Saunders would send in calls that we all expected, stands to reason that the other guys on the field would expect them too. I have no problem with Saunders calling unexpected plays. I don't think he does it too much.

I wouldn't have a problem with it either if they worked. A handoff on third down when we are under a minute in a half in a game with over 15 yards to go for a first down may not be what the D is expecting but even though we trick them, we aren't going to get the first down. Also, a reverse a couple of times a year is tricky and works. But several reverses in each game quits being so effective.

chiefqueen
01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
The no experience thing worries me only because it's a different game dealing with professional athletes than college ones.

Zero U athletes don't get paid?????????????? That's news to me.