PDA

View Full Version : My Reflections on the Dick Vermiel Era

KCJohnny
01-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Dick Vermiel is an outstanding human being. I briefly met him on a flight to the west coast en route back to Korea when he and Carol were flying to do the Leno show in January 2000 after winning the Super Bowl and retiring. At the time I had no idea he would take the reins for my beloved Chiefs from Gunther Cunningham, so I did not ask for his autograph (later, my mother bought me a real Chiefs helmet signed by Dick Vermiel that I keep in my office). He was warm, energetic, very friendly toward all the fans who asked for autographs. I remember being happy for him - it was a big deal to win the Super Bowl.

I have nothing but admiration for Dick Vermiel the man. He is someone I aspire to be like. The man oozes love. He has strength, passion, character, and seemingly boundless compassion. I mean, he hugs and kisses Larry Johnson on the sideline! I think Vermiel is as good a human being as the NFL has ever employed. He is loyal to his friends, staffers, coaches and players, even to a fault. He will no doubt be a Hall of Famer one day - a coach who garnered championships at the high school, college and pro levels. Dick Vermiel is an outstanding role model and I sincerely want to be like him as a human being.

He brought excitement to Kansas City. And at the end of the day, pro football is entertainment. His brand of Chiefs football was sizzling, thrilling and wildly entertaining. My chest swelled with pride watching the NFL's most dangerous offense run up gaudy numbers nearly every week, setting records nearly every season, and filling out nearly every position on the AFC offense at the pro bowl. I was in Iraq for the magical 13-3 season, although I died along with every Chiefs fan when the Colts beat the Chiefs 38-31 in the AFC Divisional playoff game. Every team in the NFL deeply respected Dick Vermiel's Chiefs and that team could beat any other team on any given Sunday - and frequently did - as Vermiel's swan song, a 527 yard 37-3 thrashing of the playoff-bound Bengals illustrates.

The players Vermiel believed in, such as Dante Hall, vindicated his loyalty. Priest Holmes was a back up in Baltimore. Vermiel's magnanimity is legendary - he even brought back former head coach/defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham - and that bigness of heart brought out the best in his players and coaches, both as professionals and as human beings.

There are those who view winning the Super Bowl as the only measure of success and everything short of that as failure. I am not one of those. I recall hundreds of discussions here on Chiefs Planet with others who condemned Marty Schottenheimer for that very reason. Those who hold that view must also consign Dick Vermiel to the line of failures; his 44-36 fell short of Schottenheimer's 101-58-1 and he inherited what was arguably a more talented team. His one playoff appearance in five campaigns ended the same way as Schottenheimer's with a hasty exit. The reason I bring this up is that I was pummelled ferociously for defending a winning coach that had penetrated the post season nearly every year but did not advance to the Super Bowl - something Vermiel's Chiefs failed to equal. So, those who castigated Schottenheimer for failing to win a Super Bowl must also own up to Vermiel's 'failure' (not my choice of words) to do the same.

What went wrong? In my opinion, the whole concept was flawed from the beginning. The 2000 Chiefs had the NFL's 8th best offense, 5th best passing game, a pro-bowl QB and the league's 18th ranked defense. In 2001 Vermiel stacked the offense with free agents (and gave up top draft picks), let the most dominant defender escape (Pro Bowler Donnie Edwards), and attempted to establish the Chiefs as a Ram's copy - resulting in a dismal 14-18 start after 2 years with the defense plummeting to the dead last in the NFL. The offense continued to improve once Ramifization was moderated for a more Hank Stram-like multiple formation, power running attack that featured Priest Holmes and play-action as opposed to 4-WR looks with a Mike Martzish pass-to-set-up-the-run approach.

By 2003, the Chiefs had established a pattern of overpowering opponents with offensive punch, which worked well until the playoffs when the defense needed just one stop to beat Indianapolis and could not deliver. A squad left in free fall decline for several seasons, the Chiefs' defense lacked stars, leaders and a scheme-of-manuever that fit the talent level. Even the rehiring of Gunther Cunningham who architechted the vaunted Chiefs defenses of the late 1990s failed to significantly improve a team that was clearly and intentionally a second priority under the Ramifization experiment. The current squad is improving every week, and the dominance of a talented Cincinnati offense (held to 3 points and 161 total yards) will be a tremendous confidence builder for the off season.

This editorial is not intended to be a self-serving I-told-you-so, but the reality is that I was right back in 2001. Ramifization did not work, and having the #1 offense and #32 defense gets you .500 - roughly the record of the past five years. No doubt, it was scintillating to watch - but the results were disappointing, just the same. I find it a bit ironic that Dick Vermiel retires now; this team is clearly improving on defense, and has at the most 1-2 seasons remaining for aging offensive stars. The 2006 Chiefs will have the NFL's most dangerous player in the backfield. The team has taken on a curious blend of power running and explosive passing that suggests both the 1997 Chiefs and the 1999 Rams - not a bad thing, either.

Who will be the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs? Al Saunders? Herm Edwards? Bob Stoops? Who knows? Whoever it will be should learn from Dick Vermiel's mistakes: don't attempt to remake a good team in a totally new way. Vermiel bequeaths his successor the most talented and prolific offense in the NFL over the past 5 seasons. The new head coach should keep as many of Vermiel's staffers as will stay. What the Kansas City Chiefs DON'T need is an extreme make over. Neither did they in 2001.

Dick Vermiel is a tremendous football coach and a wonderful human being. I will miss him. The NFL will miss him. His players and coaches already miss him. I offer my most sincere congratulations to Dick Vermiel for a storied career and a great run in Kansas City. And I don't mind the tears one bit. Thanks for sharing your heart and life with us, Coach.

John "KCJohnny" Proctor

BCD
01-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Vermiel is STILL a better coach than the chokemaster...

Dartgod
01-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Go away...

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 12:01 PM
This is by far the worst acid flashback I've ever had.

|Zach|
01-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Dicky never served. He is not a man in any sense of the word.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Not if you look at their career records. VD is barely a .500 coach while Marty is 7th all time in wins. (And still climbing)

alanm
Dick Vermiel is an outstanding human being. I briefly met him on a flight to the west coast en route back to Korea when he and Carol were flying to do the Leno show in January 2000 after winning the Super Bowl and retiring. At the time I had no idea he would take the reins for my beloved Chiefs from Gunther Cunningham, so I did not ask for his autograph (later, my mother bought me a real Chiefs helmet signed by Dick Vermiel that I keep in my office). He was warm, energetic, very friendly toward all the fans who asked for autographs. I remember being happy for him - it was a big deal to win the Super Bowl.

I have nothing but admiration for Dick Vermiel the man. He is someone I aspire to be like. The man oozes love. He has strength, passion, character, and seemingly boundless compassion. I mean, he hugs and kisses Larry Johnson on the sideline! I think Vermiel is as good a human being as the NFL has ever employed. He is loyal to his friends, staffers, coaches and players, even to a fault. He will no doubt be a Hall of Famer one day - a coach who garnered championships at the high school, college and pro levels. Dick Vermiel is an outstanding role model and I sincerely want to be like him as a human being.

He brought excitement to Kansas City. And at the end of the day, pro football is entertainment. His brand of Chiefs football was sizzling, thrilling and wildly entertaining. My chest swelled with pride watching the NFL's most dangerous offense run up gaudy numbers nearly every week, setting records nearly every season, and filling out nearly every position on the AFC offense at the pro bowl. I was in Iraq for the magical 13-3 season, although I died along with every Chiefs fan when the Colts beat the Chiefs 38-31 in the AFC Divisional playoff game. Every team in the NFL deeply respected Dick Vermiel's Chiefs and that team could beat any other team on any given Sunday - and frequently did - as Vermiel's swan song, a 527 yard 37-3 thrashing of the playoff-bound Bengals illustrates.

The players Vermiel believed in, such as Dante Hall, vindicated his loyalty. Priest Holmes was a back up in Baltimore. Vermiel's magnanimity is legendary - he even brought back former head coach/defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham - and that bigness of heart brought out the best in his players and coaches, both as professionals and as human beings.

There are those who view winning the Super Bowl as the only measure of success and everything short of that as failure. I am not one of those. I recall hundreds of discussions here on Chiefs Planet with others who condemned Marty Schottenheimer for that very reason. Those who hold that view must also consign Dick Vermiel to the line of failures; his 44-36 fell short of Schottenheimer's 101-58-1 and he inherited what was arguably a more talented team. His one playoff appearance in five campaigns ended the same way as Schottenheimer's with a hasty exit. The reason I bring this up is that I was pummelled ferociously for defending a winning coach that had penetrated the post season nearly every year but did not advance to the Super Bowl - something Vermiel's Chiefs failed to equal. So, those who castigated Schottenheimer for failing to win a Super Bowl must also own up to Vermiel's 'failure' (not my choice of words) to do the same.

What went wrong? In my opinion, the whole concept was flawed from the beginning. The 2000 Chiefs had the NFL's 8th best offense, 5th best passing game, a pro-bowl QB and the league's 18th ranked defense. In 2001 Vermiel stacked the offense with free agents (and gave up top draft picks), let the most dominant defender escape (Pro Bowler Donnie Edwards), and attempted to establish the Chiefs as a Ram's copy - resulting in a dismal 14-18 start after 2 years with the defense plummeting to the dead last in the NFL. The offense continued to improve once Ramifization was moderated for a more Hank Stram-like multiple formation, power running attack that featured Priest Holmes and play-action as opposed to 4-WR looks with a Mike Martzish pass-to-set-up-the-run approach.

By 2003, the Chiefs had established a pattern of overpowering opponents with offensive punch, which worked well until the playoffs when the defense needed just one stop to beat Indianapolis and could not deliver. A squad left in free fall decline for several seasons, the Chiefs' defense lacked stars, leaders and a scheme-of-manuever that fit the talent level. Even the rehiring of Gunther Cunningham who architechted the vaunted Chiefs defenses of the late 1990s failed to significantly improve a team that was clearly and intentionally a second priority under the Ramifization experiment. The current squad is improving every week, and the dominance of a talented Cincinnati offense (held to 3 points and 161 total yards) will be a tremendous confidence builder for the off season.

This editorial is not intended to be a self-serving I-told-you-so, but the reality is that I was right back in 2001. Ramifization did not work, and having the #1 offense and #32 defense gets you .500 - roughly the record of the past five years. No doubt, it was scintillating to watch - but the results were disappointing, just the same. I find it a bit ironic that Dick Vermiel retires now; this team is clearly improving on defense, and has at the most 1-2 seasons remaining for aging offensive stars. The 2006 Chiefs will have the NFL's most dangerous player in the backfield. The team has taken on a curious blend of power running and explosive passing that suggests both the 1997 Chiefs and the 1999 Rams - not a bad thing, either.

Who will be the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs? Al Saunders? Herm Edwards? Bob Stoops? Who knows? Whoever it will be should learn from Dick Vermiel's mistakes: don't attempt to remake a good team in a totally new way. Vermiel bequeaths his successor the most talented and prolific offense in the NFL over the past 5 seasons. The new head coach should keep as many of Vermiel's staffers as will stay. What the Kansas City Chiefs DON'T need is an extreme make over. Neither did they in 2001.

Dick Vermiel is a tremendous football coach and a wonderful human being. I will miss him. The NFL will miss him. His players and coaches already miss him. I offer my most sincere congratulations to Dick Vermiel for a storied career and a great run in Kansas City. And I don't mind the tears one bit. Thanks for sharing your heart and life with us, Coach.

John "KCJohnny" Proctor
How you doing John? Long time no hear from.

royr17
Dick you was a great coach and we will miss you, the only thing we wont miss is your loyalty toward players that suck.

The Bad Guy
01-02-2006, 12:07 PM
I'll take..

"I don't give a shit about what you think" for 600, Alex.

ceebz
01-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Not if you look at their career records. VD is barely a .500 coach while Marty is 7th all time in wins. (And still climbing)

And Vermeil is 48-68 in games decided by 8 points or less.

Dick epitomizes, 'soft'.

hawkchief
01-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Johnny,

Great post. It's nice to see that someone else appreciates Vermeil the person, as I do. For the life of me, though, how in the hell is he friends with mr arrogance - Carl Peterson?

BCD
01-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Not if you look at their career records. VD is barely a .500 coach while Marty is 7th all time in wins. (And still climbing)True, but post-season is all that really matters...

mlyonsd
01-02-2006, 12:11 PM
DV is a nice guy and everything but as a Chief fan in my 40's I would like to see them in another SB before I die.

So, happy trails pilgrim, I hope your days in Napa Valley are peaceful and you live a long life.

Now let's get on with a new era so I can have hope.

Cochise
01-02-2006, 12:12 PM
,./

Hog Farmer
01-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Glad to see you still have all your fingers Johnny! Or at least one anyway. Maybe our next coach will be a mixture of Vermiel and Shottenhiemer rolled into one. You gotta admit we've been oh so close now for what , 15 years.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 12:15 PM
True, but post-season is all that really matters...
Yeah, boy, VD got us there once out of 5 tries. And lost.

KCJohnny
01-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Johnny,

Great post. It's nice to see that someone else appreciates Vermeil the person, as I do. For the life of me, though, how in the hell is he friends with mr arrogance - Carl Peterson?

I think that DV is such a great human being that he brings out the best in nearly everybody, including King Carl. I wonder who Carl will hire to fill those enormous shoes?

KCJohnny
01-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Glad to see you still have all your fingers Johnny! Or at least one anyway. Maybe our next coach will be a mixture of Vermiel and Shottenhiemer rolled into one. You gotta admit we've been oh so close now for what , 15 years.

It will surprise no one that i'd like to see both Al Saunders and Gunther Cunningham remain with one of them as head coach. As i stated in my essay, this team does not need an extreme makeover and it didn't in 2001 either.

|Zach|
01-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I pretty much think of DV the same way I felt about Marty after he left. I appreciate all he was able to do with his time in Kansas City but feel very dissapointed this team couldn't reach its goals.

I look forward to see what another coach can do with the talent on this team. Best of luck to DV in whatever he decides to do.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 12:21 PM
At the time I had no idea he would take the reins for my beloved Chiefs from Gunther Cunningham

John "KCJohnny" Proctor

i always thought you were a Charger fan ... :shrug:

kc1977
01-02-2006, 12:24 PM
True, but post-season is all that really matters...

Yeah, and Vermeil sure is an expert at taking us to the postseason.

Geesh, Dickie has taken this franchise to the level of pathetic-ness where most would be happy just getting the 6th seed and a first round ass-whooping again.

Jim Mora voice: "Super Bowl? What are you talking about - SuperBowl? I'm just trying to get this team to the damn playoffs more than once every 8 years."

KCJohnny
01-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Geesh, Dickie has taken this franchise to the level of pathetic-ness where most would be happy just getting the 6th seed and a first round ass-whooping again.

ROFL

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 12:33 PM

Jim Mora voice: "Super Bowl? What are you talking about - SuperBowl? I'm just trying to get this team to the damn playoffs more than once every 8 years."
Exactly. No team has ever won the SB after failing to make the playoffs.

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 12:53 PM
I pretty much think of DV the same way I felt about Marty after he left. I appreciate all he was able to do with his time in Kansas City but feel very dissapointed this team couldn't reach its goals.

I look forward to see what another coach can do with the talent on this team. Best of luck to DV in whatever he decides to do.

Yep, Bring on the next one.

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
It will surprise no one that i'd like to see both Al Saunders and Gunther Cunningham remain with one of them as head coach. As i stated in my essay, this team does not need an extreme makeover and it didn't in 2001 either.

So, You would be okay with Gun as HC again?

OMG!!!!! :cuss:

Brock
01-02-2006, 12:56 PM
This is a bunch of insincere bullshit.

You're only back here to start up your passive-aggressive feuds once again. :rolleyes:

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Dick you was a great coach and we will miss you, the only thing we wont miss is your loyalty toward players that suck. :clap:

KCJohnny
01-02-2006, 12:57 PM

People can change, grow, improve. Happens every day. Frankly, Saunders is my top choice. What I don't want is what happened here in 2001 when a new HC came in and changed everything, including some things for the worse. This team is VERY good. Continuity = success IMO. Both AS and GC offer that.

Skip Towne
01-02-2006, 01:02 PM

Of course he would. It's all about the CARE package.

Hoover
01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Carl went out and got his man Dick Vermiel.

What was Carl buying for the Chiefs? A head coach with tons of class, and a guy that built the best offense the NFL has ever seen.

What did Carl and the Chiefs get? A head coach with tons of class, and a guy that built the best offense the NFL has ever seen.

While I will agree that letting Donnie Edwards go was stupid, and Greg Robinson was a joke. But look at the shitty talent we spent our FA money on each year. Take away Priest Holmes and Trent Green and it makes me sick. We picked Kennison of the trash pile, but anytime we spent big $$$ on a FA, especially a Defensive FA, we got burned, and that falls on the GM.

Ebolapox
01-02-2006, 02:05 PM
C.A.R.E. package

Can you bring me
Another
Really big pie
Extremely quickly, because

Pie is
Awesome, but only to
Combat veterans
Known as
Army assistant chaplains making
Ginormously pathetic music whilst
Eating pie

-EB-...piepiepiepiepiepie

Rain Man
01-02-2006, 02:16 PM
People can change, grow, improve. Happens every day. Frankly, Saunders is my top choice. What I don't want is what happened here in 2001 when a new HC came in and changed everything, including some things for the worse. This team is VERY good. Continuity = success IMO. Both AS and GC offer that.

Yep. I don't want to see someone dismantle this team to build their own version.

Sully
01-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Exactly. No team has ever won the SB after failing to make the playoffs.
Link?

Iowanian
01-02-2006, 02:23 PM
It takes alot of balls to not be here at all during the season, and show up to gloat about the dv era under your breath now.

Brock
01-02-2006, 02:25 PM
It takes alot of balls to not be here at all during the season, and show up to gloat about the dv era under your breath now.

Combat Veteran Card to be played in 3...2...1...

Iowanian
01-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd better set the wedge before the kick team gets downfield then.....

it takes a pair of big, hairy, bronze baows.....

Dave Lane
01-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Dicky never served. He is not a man in any sense of the word.

No pie for him!

Dave

Mosbonian
01-02-2006, 02:42 PM

John:

I just reviewed the starting roster of the 2000-2001 Chiefs vs. the 2001-2002 Chiefs.....Gunther's last season vs Vermeil's first year.....

First and foremost, Donnie Edwards was a good player, but he wasn't someone to build a defense around. And he made it pretty apparent that he wasn't happy with Vermiel's appearance. (BTW, he was chosen to his only Pro Bowl appearance after Kendrell Bell and Al Wilson pulled out)Second, not sure what you are referring to about how good the defense then was, but the LB trio of Edwards, Lew Bush/Maz and Marcvus Patton wasn't anything close to "fear-inducing".....our CB's were Ray Crockett & Eric (Toast)Warfield...Eric Hicks (yes THAT Eric Hicks), Derrick Ransom, John Browning, Eric Browning, & Duane Clemons were our not-so Fearsome Foursome.....and our Safeties were Jerome Woods and Greg Wesley.
If we ranked that high in Defense it was probably due to the soft schedule we played.

This editorial is not intended to be a self-serving I-told-you-so,

Johnny....be honest enough to admit that this is exactly what it was meant to be.

As a long-time fan....let me weigh my opinion in. I would rather have the exciting Offense that Vermeil built for this town than the vanilla "3 yards and a cloud of dust", "play not-to-lose" Conservative play calling of Marty anyday.

mmaddog

Iowanian
01-02-2006, 02:45 PM
FTR....the Eggos are HATING on Edwards right now...for the same reasons mentioned here. He gets alot of tackles, most of them being 5-7 yards downfield.

siberian khatru
01-02-2006, 02:46 PM

http://www.emcorp.force9.co.uk/images/galleries/other/brb.jpg

Hoover
01-02-2006, 02:47 PM
FTR....the Eggos are HATING on Edwards right now...for the same reasons mentioned here. He gets alot of tackles, most of them being 5-7 yards downfield.
Thats why Bell is the the Best LB on our team, sure he doesn't get many tackels like Mitchell and DJ, thats because people are afraid of him and run the other way...

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 03:03 PM

same thing Edwards did for us ... tons of numbers, very little real impact.

KC Kings
01-02-2006, 03:03 PM
DV is a nice guy and everything but as a Chief fan in my 40's I would like to see them in another SB before I die.

So, happy trails pilgrim, I hope your days in Napa Valley are peaceful and you live a long life.

Now let's get on with a new era so I can have hope.

Stop whining. I'm a man in my 30's and have never seen them in a SB. At least you have a couple reflect back on.

CoMoChief
01-02-2006, 03:20 PM

I would rather choke in the playoffs then to not get there at all. Our 13-3 season was the result of an easy schedule, much like the 99 Rams schedule was during that SB run. 1 playoff appearance in 5 years due to an easy schedule is not satisfying considering the "chokemaster" made the playoffs something like 6-7 seasons in a row in a tough AFC West division.

KCJohnny
01-02-2006, 04:31 PM
I would rather choke in the playoffs then to not get there at all. Our 13-3 season was the result of an easy schedule, much like the 99 Rams schedule was during that SB run. 1 playoff appearance in 5 years due to an easy schedule is not satisfying considering the "chokemaster" made the playoffs something like 6-7 seasons in a row in a tough AFC West division.

What he said!
:toast:

KCJohnny
01-02-2006, 04:36 PM
John:

I just reviewed the starting roster of the 2000-2001 Chiefs vs. the 2001-2002 Chiefs.....Gunther's last season vs Vermeil's first year.....

First and foremost, Donnie Edwards was a good player, but he wasn't someone to build a defense around. And he made it pretty apparent that he wasn't happy with Vermiel's appearance. (BTW, he was chosen to his only Pro Bowl appearance after Kendrell Bell and Al Wilson pulled out)Second, not sure what you are referring to about how good the defense then was, but the LB trio of Edwards, Lew Bush/Maz and Marcvus Patton wasn't anything close to "fear-inducing".....our CB's were Ray Crockett & Eric (Toast)Warfield...Eric Hicks (yes THAT Eric Hicks), Derrick Ransom, John Browning, Eric Browning, & Duane Clemons were our not-so Fearsome Foursome.....and our Safeties were Jerome Woods and Greg Wesley.
If we ranked that high in Defense it was probably due to the soft schedule we played.

Johnny....be honest enough to admit that this is exactly what it was meant to be.

As a long-time fan....let me weigh my opinion in. I would rather have the exciting Offense that Vermeil built for this town than the vanilla "3 yards and a cloud of dust", "play not-to-lose" Conservative play calling of Marty anyday.

mmaddog

Mad dog: I hear ya buddy, but I could have REALLY cashed in on this issue if i wanted to. Its just fair, not self-serving to come back after 5 years and say "I was right". I was right and I was told ten million times by nearly every planeteer how Marty was inferior to DV, how it would be down-to-go-up, how it would take 3 years, 4, and 5 years, how Vermiel would get us a SB, humma humma. All I said was Ramifization won't work (it didn't) and that building the O at the expense of the D is a formula for .500 (it is, despite all the records), and that all the people condemning Marty will have to concede that Vermiel is no better if he 'fails' (not my word) to win a title.

Chiefnj
01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Mad dog: I hear ya buddy, but I could have REALLY cashed in on this issue if i wanted to. Its just fair, not self-serving to come back after 5 years and say "I was right". I was right and I was told ten million times by nearly every planeteer how Marty was inferior to DV, how it would be down-to-go-up, how it would take 3 years, 4, and 5 years, how Vermiel would get us a SB, humma humma. All I said was Ramifization won't work (it didn't) and that building the O at the expense of the D is a formula for .500 (it is, despite all the records), and that all the people condemning Marty will have to concede that Vermiel is no better if he 'fails' (not my word) to win a title.

You tend to ignore the FACT that Vermeil had a top 10 defense when he won the Super Bowl with the Rams.

Iowanian
01-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Marty Wasted more talent this season in Sandy Eggo than Vermiel did in KC.

WilliamTheIrish
01-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Marty is inferior to Vermiel as a coach.

Vermiel has been to 2 SB's. So that question is moot in my eyes.

However, both men were failures here.

philfree
01-02-2006, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=KCJohnny]Dick Vermiel is an outstanding human being. I briefly met him on a flight to the west coast en route back to Korea when he and Carol were flying to do the Leno show in January 2000 after winning the Super Bowl and retiring. At the time I had no idea he would take the reins for my beloved Chiefs from Gunther Cunningham, so I did not ask for his autograph (later, my mother bought me a real Chiefs helmet signed by Dick Vermiel that I keep in my office). He was warm, energetic, very friendly toward all the fans who asked for autographs. I remember being happy for him - it was a big deal to win the Super Bowl.

The players Vermiel believed in, such as Dante Hall, vindicated his loyalty. Priest Holmes was a back up in Baltimore. Vermiel's magnanimity is legendary - he even brought back former head coach/defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham - and that bigness of heart brought out the best in his players and coaches, both as professionals and as human beings.[QUOTE]

Shoulda stopped right there.

PhilFree:arrow:

Bearcat
01-02-2006, 05:42 PM
This is a bunch of insincere bullshit.

You're only back here to start up your passive-aggressive feuds once again. :rolleyes:
Expect anything else when clicking on this thread? We have pages of threads about how "DV is a great person, but we still haven't won a playoff game in like 50 years", yet the retiring of DV isn't complete without a soon-to-be 500 reply KCJ thread letting us know, once again, we're all f*cking idiots.

Brock
01-02-2006, 06:12 PM

It all adds up to the same thing. Failure.

Logical
01-02-2006, 07:54 PM
This editorial is not intended to be a self-serving I-told-you-so, but the reality is that I was right back in 2001 ROFL, oh absolutely, not in the least bit self-serving.

BCD
01-03-2006, 02:07 AM

Jim Mora voice: "Super Bowl? What are you talking about - SuperBowl? I'm just trying to get this team to the damn playoffs more than once every 8 years."The point is, Marty has ZERO SB appearances. DV atleast had 2. And won 1. They both failed. Period.

BCD
01-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Exactly. No team has ever won the SB after failing to make the playoffs.Hey, I'm not sticking up for DV. I think they were both equally useless...

Guru
01-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>This editorial is not intended to be a self-serving I-told-you-so, but the reality is that I was right back in 2001 <HR SIZE=1>ROFL, oh absolutely, not in the least bit self-serving.

Now that is just priceless. I don't mean to say "I told ya so" but "I told ya so" Na na na na na!!!

ROFLROFL Loser

BCD
01-03-2006, 02:32 AM
I would rather choke in the playoffs then to not get there at all. Our 13-3 season was the result of an easy schedule, much like the 99 Rams schedule was during that SB run. 1 playoff appearance in 5 years due to an easy schedule is not satisfying considering the "chokemaster" made the playoffs something like 6-7 seasons in a row in a tough AFC West division.Heh...I was trying to get under Johnny's skin a little with that. Marty and DV both failed here. Period. However, overall, DV is the better coach. 1-1 in SBs...

BCD
01-03-2006, 02:33 AM
What he said!
:toast:Tard...

BCD
01-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Marty is inferior to Vermiel as a coach.

Vermiel has been to 2 SB's. So that question is moot in my eyes.

However, both men were failures here.Exactly...

keg in kc
01-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Time to update my ignore list again, I see.