PDA

View Full Version : Draft picks for coaches

SBK
01-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Lets set the record straight.....(I know, it's PFT)

POSTED 3:43 p.m. EST, January 2, 2006

CLEARING THE AIR ON PICKS FOR COACHES

After the Bucs acquired Raiders coach Jon Gruden by sending a pack of picks to the pirates of Piedmont, the NFL circulated a memo that supposedly prohibited this practice.

As explained in the January 17, 2003 St. Petersburg Times, the Competition Committee had concluded that the use of draft picks to secure coaches could be undermining the purposes of the draft (http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/17/Bucs/NFL_nixes_draft_picks.shtml).

Not long thereafter, then-Bucs G.M. Rich McKay told ESPN.com that the memo was not intended to apply to head coaches (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1496578.html).

At a time when there will be plenty of head coaching vacancies and not enough high-end candidates, some teams could be interested in guys who already are gainfully employed with other NFL teams. Thus, the possibility of using draft picks has come up again, and plenty of our readers wanted to know whether the practice was still permitted.

League spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday that draft picks can be used to acquire a head coach or a high-ranking club executive (such as G.M. or the equivalent). Draft choices cannot be used, per Aiello, to acquire coordinators, position coaches, or executives below the level of president or G.M.

We've got a feeling that this rule will come into play for at least one of the current coaching and/or G.M. vacancies this year, possibly if the Chiefs come after coach Herm Edwards of the Jets.

milkman
01-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Lets set the record straight.....(I know, it's PFT)

POSTED 3:43 p.m. EST, January 2, 2006

CLEARING THE AIR ON PICKS FOR COACHES

After the Bucs acquired Raiders coach Jon Gruden by sending a pack of picks to the pirates of Piedmont, the NFL circulated a memo that supposedly prohibited this practice.

As explained in the January 17, 2003 St. Petersburg Times, the Competition Committee had concluded that the use of draft picks to secure coaches could be undermining the purposes of the draft (http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/17/Bucs/NFL_nixes_draft_picks.shtml).

Not long thereafter, then-Bucs G.M. Rich McKay told ESPN.com that the memo was not intended to apply to head coaches (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1496578.html).

At a time when there will be plenty of head coaching vacancies and not enough high-end candidates, some teams could be interested in guys who already are gainfully employed with other NFL teams. Thus, the possibility of using draft picks has come up again, and plenty of our readers wanted to know whether the practice was still permitted.

League spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday that draft picks can be used to acquire a head coach or a high-ranking club executive (such as G.M. or the equivalent). Draft choices cannot be used, per Aiello, to acquire coordinators, position coaches, or executives below the level of president or G.M.

We've got a feeling that this rule will come into play for at least one of the current coaching and/or G.M. vacancies this year, possibly if the Chiefs come after coach Herm Edwards of the Jets.

Has anyone ever heard of a team giving up a pick for assistent coahes before?

Why the hell even make a rule for something that had never happened?

Mecca
01-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh great, we're gonna end up losing picks again.

Brock
01-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Huh....that's news to me.

siberian khatru
01-02-2006, 03:12 PM
So did the St. Pete paper totally blow this story the first time? The memo had NOTHING to do with the Gruden situation? The league just decided to circulate a memo that banned draft pick compensation for everything BUT head coaches -- about the only thing the picks ARE used for?

???

DTLB58
01-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Great post. This should clear up a lot for the coming weeks.

Mr. Laz
01-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Huh....that's news to me.

beyotch ... http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9852/barebutt7sl.gif

FringeNC
01-02-2006, 03:15 PM
So did the St. Pete paper totally blow this story the first time? The memo had NOTHING to do with the Gruden situation? The league just decided to circulate a memo that banned draft pick compensation for everything BUT head coaches -- about the only thing the picks ARE used for?

???

For stuff like that, there are no firm rules, only Tagliabue's descretion. He'll probably try to rob the Chiefs out of draft picks like he did in 2001, no matter what the supposed rule is.

Brock
01-02-2006, 03:16 PM

???

Tampa Bay Bucs general manager Rich McKay, a man who knows a little bit about trading draft choices for a head coach, said Tuesday that the NFL's moratorium issued last week and precluding such moves has been misinterpreted.

"I have no doubt that, if a team wanted to trade draft picks for a coach and the terms were reasonable, the deal would go through," said McKay, who is the chairman of the NFL's influential competition committee. "Every trade has to be approved by the commissioner. And basically, that was reiterated in the memo, that's all."

McKay said the memo was intended more to limit the movement of assistant coaches and front offices personnel who are under contract.

If this is true, it changes everything...

tk13
01-02-2006, 03:18 PM
This is something I'd expect Flanagan to clear up in the KC Star. Usually he's the guy to put little blurbs in his columns to clear up fan confusion about things. I'd like to see this clarified as well. Shoot him an email, gochiefs... :)

SBK
01-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Oh great, we're gonna end up losing picks again.

Ding ding ding! ROFL

dirk digler
01-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks shortbuskid! So we will see if the Chiefs really want Herm or not.

chiefsfaninNC
01-02-2006, 04:25 PM
oh shit. Now Carl's comments make sense about the Jet's contacting him. Damn it Carl.

FRCDFED
01-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Ding ding ding! ROFL
It would absolutely, without question, SUCK ASS if we trade picks again for a head coach!!

The players play the game! Picks should not even be used as leverage to get coaches. Hell, if the coach found out the team was trying to trade him then I wouldn't want to coach for them anyway!

cdcox
01-02-2006, 04:29 PM
No way should we give up a draft pick for Herm Edwards. That's crazy.

milkman
01-02-2006, 04:30 PM
No way should we give up a draft pick for Herm Edwards. That's crazy.

Hell, we shouldn't have given up a draft pick for Dick, but we did.

Mr. Kotter
01-02-2006, 10:51 PM
League spokesman Greg Aiello told us on Monday that draft picks can be used to acquire a head coach or a high-ranking club executive (such as G.M. or the equivalent).

It's still murky to me....this isn't what others were saying here last.