PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Peterson talks to Saunders

tk13
01-03-2006, 02:18 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13536227.htm

Peterson talks to Saunders
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Carl Peterson began the Chiefs’ search for a new head coach Monday by interviewing offensive coordinator Al Saunders for several hours at Arrowhead Stadium.

Saunders was not the only name on Peterson’s list of candidates. The Chiefs probably will request permission from the Jets to speak with head coach Herman Edwards.

Various local media reports said Peterson met with former Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis on Monday in Kansas City, but Peterson was meeting with Saunders when the supposed interview with Davis was taking place.

Also, a source close to the situation said Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, a possible candidate, was not in Peterson’s box at Sunday’s game against Cincinnati at Arrowhead Stadium, as was reported on a Kansas City radio station.

The Chiefs were trying to schedule an interview with Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams for next week and appear to have an interest in Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak.

Peterson and Edwards are longtime friends. Peterson in January 1999 was the first to see Edwards’ potential as a head coach. Peterson interviewed Edwards in Mobile, Ala., site of the Senior Bowl, for the Chiefs’ head-coaching job, then vacant after Marty Schottenheimer’s resignation.

In Peterson’s perfect world, his coaching search might begin and end with Edwards, but the situation is more complicated than that. Edwards has two seasons remaining on his Jets contract.

The Chiefs not only need permission from the Jets to speak with Edwards but also must compensate the Jets with draft picks and/or players if they were to hire Edwards.

“I don’t want to get into that because it’s a pretty sensitive issue,” Peterson said when asked whether he would relinquish picks for Edwards. “I’ve done it before.”

The Chiefs gave the Rams second- and third-round draft picks for Dick Vermeil upon hiring him five years ago.

The Chiefs are free to contact the Jets regarding Edwards now that the regular season is over, but the Jets are not obligated to grant that permission.

At a regularly scheduled, season-ending news conference in New York, Edwards wouldn’t address his interest in leaving the Jets for the Chiefs.

“I’m not going to get into that conversation,” he said. “It’s a moot point.
“I don’t want to keep talking about it. There’s no need to talk about it, really. I’m happy to be the coach here, and I’m going to be the coach here.”

Saunders was scheduled to interview for head-coaching vacancies today with the Vikings in Minnesota and Thursday with the Texans in Houston. The Detroit Lions have told the Chiefs they would formally request permission to speak with Saunders and could meet with him over the weekend or next week. The Vikings and Texans asked for and received that permission Monday.

Peterson’s interview with Saunders began in the early afternoon and continued long after the end of regular office hours.

Wa-Z
01-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Herm or Saunders PLEASE!

CoMoChief
01-03-2006, 04:03 AM
New Head Coach/Offense:
I'll be pissed if he's not the next head coach. I really think we need to keep this offense going while it can. Roaf will be back, and I have a feeling if Saunders is back then Shields will play another season. LJ will be the most dominant single season RB in the history of the NFL if he's proclaimed the starter, and none of this splitting carries bullshit with Holmes. If LJ would have started every game, no way would anyone be talking about Shaun Alexander right now. I'm talking about over 30TD's and over 2,000 yards, which would be without a doubt the best season for any RB in the history of the NFL. Priest Holmes needs to be a 3rd down back like Faulk has done this season with the Rams. Priest Holmes contract is getting into the higher terms of his salary, maybe we need to say goodbye to the beloved Chief. He was a great back, but paying that amount of money for someone who hasn't finished a 3 out of the last 4 seasons isn't worth it. Hopefully he will restructure his contract a great deal because he's a great player for LJ to learn from.

Defense:
Everyone says we need a defensive minded coach. I do and I dont believe in that. Take away 3 or 4 games (@Donks, @Chargers, @Cowboys, @Giants) and this defense played pretty darn well compared to previous seasons in the DV era. For some reason our defense could not play on the road, and I really doubt that has anything to do with having a defensive minded HC. Besides the Giants game, we were great at stopping the run this season and wouldve set a team record for fewest amount of yards allowed in a season. It's amazing how one game can change the entire look of a team because everyone looks at stats and averages and not each game respectively. Our pass defense still needs work, alot of work. We desperately need to find a good FA DT/DE or draft one with our first round pick if one is still around by the 20th pick. I really wish Carl would balls up and pay good money for someone like John Abraham because Eric Hicks needs to be replaced. I really don't understand why the coaches love him so much. Whitlock makes a great point how the coaches love him, but Chiefs fans don't, and that the 2000 14 sack season was all just a fluke. Our LB's are the strength of this defense and should really run a 3-4 most of the time. I really wish Key Fox could stay healthy, this would allow Bell to return to his natural position. I simply do not think he is quick enough to be an OLB. I think Benny Sapp should replace Warfield as the 2CB. Sapp had a good season minus the Philly game. Warfield should be more of a nickle corner, and the only reason why I'm not bashing him is because he showed up and tackled this season. His coverage on the other hand was kinda head-scratching.

We should do the following...
1. Hire Al Saunders as the HC
2. Sign FA John Abraham
3. Draft a STARTING defensive tackle for the love of God. Stop wasting 2nd round picks on projects or people with "potential" as DV would like to say. Drafting Siavii was the worst pick I have seen in a long time given the fact that he was a 2nd round pick, which to most teams should comptete for a starters position.

Gun has this defense going in the right direction. We have good players on defense. Like I had previously said we were good run stuffing team this season, and thats something to build on. Getting rid of Hicks and replacing him with someone like Abraham, along with drafting a STARTING DT would makes things alot better. We don't need a WR with our first round pick and I will pee in anyones cornflakes who thinks we do. Since when has this offense needed a 1WR? Yeah sure sometimes our WRs drop passes. News flash! Everyone drops passes and I can almost bet that most teams in the NFL have more collective WR dropped passes than we do. We are a run-first team, especially with the Oline we have. Now if Shields does decide to retire, then we should trade up for Miami's Eric Winston. I don't really know how high he would go. He may fall to us at the 20th pick, but I am guessing we would have to trade up for him.

I can't believe some people on here act like Saunders doesn't fit for the HC job. It would be stupid to hire someone new considering all of the great things this offense has done and can still do. Most offensive minded HC's know something about defense, but it was clear to a 6 year old that DV did not know anything about defense we suffered from that. Listening to him talk about defense made me want to throw up, and would always refer to an offensive answer when asked a defensive question. Al Saunders deserves this job and no one else. People are gonna point out some of the dumb things AS did while he was here and I say so ****ing what, we are all human and make mistakes. Can anyone here honestly say that his offensive success doesn't greatly out-weigh some of the few bad decisions he has made over the 4 seasons hes been here?

Some things that are hard to swallow following the Chiefs 2005 season:

-10-6 didn't make the playoffs.
-Record wise we were better than the Patriots who benefitted from playing in a shitty ass division. Which more than argues my point that the top 6 teams should get in regardless if you are a division champ.
-Blowing the 18pt lead against Philly.......AT HOME.
-Not running the clock down by running the ball in the redzone (DAL 9yard line) resulting in a LJ missed block and a Trent Green fumble changing the entire course of the DAL game.
-We have beaten or are capable of beating every team that is currently in the playoffs.
-Allowing a TE to have a 150yd 3 TD game. Thats almost unheard of from a TE.

keg in kc
01-03-2006, 04:10 AM
Here's the blow-by-blow:

Peterson: Al.

Saunders: Carl.

Peterson: You're not getting the job, this is just to keep up appearances.

Saunders: I know. I'm already on the next flight to [insert city here].

DenverChief
01-03-2006, 04:13 AM
Here's the blow-by-blow:

Saunders: I know. I'm already on the next flight to [insert city here].ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
The Chiefs dropped 33 passes this year according to Stats, Inc. That's way too many.

C-Mac
Saunders was scheduled to interview for head-coaching vacancies today with the Vikings in Minnesota and Thursday with the Texans in Houston. The Detroit Lions have told the Chiefs they would formally request permission to speak with Saunders and could meet with him over the weekend or next week. The Vikings and Texans asked for and received that permission Monday.

:hmmm:
Why would there be a need to ask permission if Saunders isnt under contract?

DenverChief
01-03-2006, 04:59 AM
The Chiefs dropped 33 passes this year according to Stats, Inc. That's way too many.

Thats an average of two drops per game...that my friend is outstanding

Count Alex's Losses
01-03-2006, 05:05 AM
Thats an average of two drops per game...that my friend is outstanding

It's 6th worst in the league. Horrible.

DenverChief
01-03-2006, 05:10 AM
It's 6th worst in the league. Horrible.

two drops per game? I just can't fathom that being that bad

Count Alex's Losses
01-03-2006, 05:23 AM
two drops per game? I just can't fathom that being that bad

It's a game of inches. Indianapolis leads the league in fewest drops with 15.

It's not "two drops per game" either.

The Chiefs will go a game or 2 without any dropped passes and then do something horrible like dropping 6 or 7 in one game, as they did against the Giants.

Of course maybe it's magnified by our horrible defense, because we DO throw the ball alot.

chiefsfaninNC
01-03-2006, 05:38 AM
:hmmm:
Why would there be a need to ask permission if Saunders isnt under contract?

His contract is still in effect. When they write contracts they have them run through the Super Bowl. Just in case.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm getting a little sick of these Edwards' denials. He should be honest, and say, "either the Jets show me the money, or I'm going to KC where Carl has Hunt's money bags already open for me.

Lurch
01-03-2006, 09:06 AM
I hope this is a good sign. If Saunders does get the job, I sure hope that extra long part of the interview was discussing the gutting of the defensive staff.

Straight, No Chaser
01-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Here's the blow-by-blow:

Saunders: I know. I'm already on the next flight to [insert city here].

See you're starting off '06 with the glass half full ;)

When you get real good idea of what Carl will do let us know. Given he drafted LJ against DV wishes, allegedly,I think it's OK to let him handle it.

Isn't it obvious to not dismantle the offensive scheme and personnel just yet? Saunders is more valuable now than any of the other candidates mentioned --the players close to retirement have bought-in and said so. I can't see letting this machine disentegrate too soon. Saunders gets the the offer. Oh, and by the way, Happy New Year*

--->