PDA

View Full Version : Clayton: Draft Picks Can Be Traded for HCs

Lurch
01-03-2006, 08:15 AM
On Mike-and-Mike this morning. Despite the protests and rants of some here, according to the "professor," CP is trying to work out draft picks to be awarded to the Jets for Edwards. Apparently the Gruden rule only applies to Coordinators and Assistant Coaches, according to an NFL spokesmen at a news conference yesterday. So what's Carl gonna give away this time?

JBucc
01-03-2006, 08:17 AM
CP is trying to work out draft picks to be awarded to the Jets for Edwards. NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!! No more draft picks for coaches.

Count Alex's Wins
01-03-2006, 08:17 AM
I don't understand why Carl can't just wait until the Jets fire Edwards or he resigns.

These aren't options?

Lurch
01-03-2006, 08:19 AM
I don't understand why Carl can't just wait until the Jets fire Edwards or he resigns.

These aren't options?

If he wants to watch his second and third choices for the job sign elsewhere, and then still have the Edwards thing not happen, I suppose it's an option.

Tribal Warfare
01-03-2006, 08:19 AM
F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lurch
01-03-2006, 08:22 AM
CLARIFICATION:

According to Clayton's web-blog, "....because of tampering rules, Edwards might have to work out a trade compensation arrangement with the Jets"

jspchief
01-03-2006, 08:24 AM
If Carl gives up draft picks for another coach he should be assasinated.

Chan93lx50
01-03-2006, 08:41 AM
My GOD CP is dumb, If he want Edwards so bad, give the Reigns to Saunders for two years and then go get his man.

Giving away draft picks for a coach is just plain dumb. The picks we give away for Herm could be very important for the future of this team.

I would luv to kick CP square in the balls!

DaWolf
01-03-2006, 08:46 AM
There's no way anyone is giving up a first rounder for Herm Edwards.

I could see Carl doing a similar compensation thing to what he gave for Vermeil though, since drafting in the 20th position, we don't really have a high pick in any round this year. And frankly getting a good HC is probably more important than drafting the next Kris Wilson or Mike Cloud. I would normally be against trading that pick if I didn't feel there was a 90% chance of Carl screwing it up.

That being said, Edwards is not my first choice and I really don't think Carl should be hiring his buddies in the first place...

Lurch
01-03-2006, 09:02 AM
My GOD CP is dumb, If he want Edwards so bad, give the Reigns to Saunders for two years and then go get his man.

My thoughts exactly.

Bob Dole
01-03-2006, 09:11 AM

And let Fagliabue decide the compensation, again?

No thanks.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:15 AM
And let Fagliabue decide the compensation, again?

No thanks.

Good point. If Jets agree to compensation, it's likely less than Tags would award given his woody for the Chiefs.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Why the **** would they call it the "Gruden" rule if it only applies to assistants and coordinators?

Gruden was HEAD COACH of the Raiders and became HEAD COACH of the Bucs.

What a ****ing lame rule.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Why the **** would they call it the "Gruden" rule if it only applies to assistants and coordinators?

I agree. But that's what Clayton said this morning. FTR, I think it was the St. Petersburg paper that called it the Gruden Rule.

Saggysack
01-03-2006, 09:30 AM

Why do they call the minority rule, the Rooney rule? Dan Rooney was whiter than Opie.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Given the choice of Al saunders and all draft picks, or Herm Edwards minus some draft picks, I'll take Saunders.

Saunders can be fired in two years if he sucks. We can never recoup draft picks.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Given the choice of Al saunders and all draft picks, or Herm Edwards minus some draft picks, I'll take Saunders.

Saunders can be fired in two years if he sucks. We can never recoup draft picks.

Yup.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:22 AM

That's what I think too.

jAZ
01-03-2006, 10:47 AM
We better be on the phone asking to interview Jeff Fisher too. He's worth a #1 pick, IMO. Herm is worth a #2 maybe.

In either case, I have a good feeling about both guys coaching here. Herm/Chiefs reminds me Dungy/Indy. However, Fisher is the perfect fit for this (or almost any, really) team.

jAZ
01-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Our team (as it's built today and performed for 5 years) is set to "expire" in less than 2 years. I'd prefer to waste the "talent" we are likely to acquire in the 2nd round (by giving up a draft pick) over wasting the talent we clearly have on this team today (and likely won't in 2 years).

To put it more simply, I'm willing to trade our #2 pick for Willie Roaf any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Our team (as it's built today and performed for 5 years) is set to "expire" in less than 2 years. I'd prefer to waste the "talent" we are likely to acquire in the 2nd round (by giving up a draft pick) over wasting the talent we clearly have on this team today (and likely won't in 2 years).

To put it more simply, I'm willing to trade our #2 pick for Willie Roaf any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Wow.

A rare opportunity to agree with you Justin. :clap:

Heh.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 11:24 AM
F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what he said

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 11:31 AM

another reason to promote Al Saunders ... keep the offensive coaching staff to maintain some continuity.

get a ex HC for the defensive coordinator to clean house on defense

keep the draft picks and maybe do something over the next 2 years.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 12:01 PM

To put it more simply, I'm willing to trade our #2 pick for Willie Roaf any day of the week and twice on Sunday.I'm not sure hiring Saunders would be "wasting" our current talent. In fact, the only argument I can come up with to hire Saunders is that he might be able to maximize our talent for the last year or two that we have them.

I'm not a Saunders pimp in the least, but if you're trying to get the most out of the waning glory years of our current players, Saunders is probably best suited. You think he's going to cut Willie Roaf? Or not know how to use him?

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 03:46 PM
.... to hire Saunders is that he might be able to maximize our talent for the last year or two that we have them.

That's good enough for me.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Bump for the slow folks...

I heard this same interview this morning on Mike-and-Mike.

VonneMarie
01-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Bump for the slow folks...
So what does that mean?

:p

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:35 PM
So what does that mean?

:p

I don't know...but your smilie has a nice tongue.

VonneMarie
01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
LOL...

Chiefs Pantalones
01-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Why would you want to trade draft picks for freakin' Herm Edwards? I'd rather have Al and take our chances with the picks we have.

FRCDFED
01-03-2006, 09:41 PM
My fear would be that if Saunders does not get the HC job with KC then how many other teams would request to interview him for their HC vacancies. There are 7 teams now without HC and little depth with quality candidates.

Irregardless of who we hire, we must maintain our draft picks and current offensive philosophy if we intend to be competitive in the next couple of years. We need OL, DL, WR, QB, and CB.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Why would you want to trade draft picks for freakin' Herm Edwards? I'd rather have Al and take our chances with the picks we have.

No one wants to, but it gets us what we want....maybe a 2nd or 3rd would be worth it.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm beginning to think Clayton doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to the whole draft pick thing.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm beginning to think Clayton doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to the whole draft pick thing.

I'll take his word over others I've heard talk about it.....

Chiefs Pantalones
01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
No one wants to, but it gets us what we want....maybe a 2nd or 3rd would be worth it.

At the time, I could understand doing that for DV, because he had won a Super Bowl. Herm hasn't, so I don't think giving up anything for him is worth it. Give it to AS, see what he can do...

Halfcan
01-03-2006, 10:25 PM
I heard he is giving our entire draft, ala Ricky Williams rule.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-03-2006, 10:26 PM
I heard he is giving our entire draft, ala Ricky Williams rule.

We're giving up our entire draft for Nick Athan?

VonneMarie
01-03-2006, 10:28 PM
We're giving up our entire draft for Nick Athan?
Rep. ROFL

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:29 PM
I'll take his word over others I've heard talk about it.....I don't think I will. There's an ESPN.com article that states it has been banned. Why is that article less credible than Clayton?

There has been a lot of speculation and rumors being reported as news by these guys today. Clearly there are contradictions. Someone is full of shit, and at this point I'm assuming they all are until something concrete happens.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:31 PM
I don't think I will. There's an ESPN.com article that states it has been banned. Why is that article less credible than Clayton?

There has been a lot of speculation and rumors being reported as news by these guys today. Clearly there are contradictions. Someone is full of shit, and at this point I'm assuming they all are until something concrete happens.

Mostly because of his record. Of the guys out there, he hits much more often than he misses....with stuff like that anyway. Just my personal take on it.