PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Chiefs new Head Coach?

Danush
01-03-2006, 09:37 AM
48 hours in and sorting through those being discussed, who's emerged as the favorite in your mind? Personally, Saunders without losing a draft pick is preferrable to Edwards costing us picks. I think Butch Davis and Kirk Ferentz are the sleepers, if Herm is unavailable and Peterson passes on Saunders.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Forgot the damn GAZ option! :cuss:

Cormac
01-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Edwards would have to be favourite right now. Saunders would have already been hired if he was CPs choice. So he's a longshot, IMO. I don't see CP taking any risks here, so our next HC will be an experienced guy (Herm, Gregg Williams or other), and not a newbie (Stoops, Ferentz), IMO.

Just say no to Butch Davis and Jim Fassel. Jeezus.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 09:58 AM
...Just say no to Butch Davis ...

I use to think that way, and remain skeptical...but I'm warming to Davis. Yeah, things in Cleveland went South with him...and he lost the players at the end.

However, his success with Dallas and Miami....along with what he achieved in Cleveland, PRIOR to the salary cap purge, are pretty impressive. Hopefully he learned from that experience, and would be better the second time around. Rookie head coaches make mistakes; the key is whether he learns from them or not.

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 10:00 AM
I picked Saunders because I want Saunders. I question whether it will happen, though, based on what we've been reading.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I picked Saunders because I want Saunders. I question whether it will happen, though, based on what we've been reading.

I'd prefer Saunders, and a new Defensive coaching staff. But I suspect you are right....

BIG_DADDY
01-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I'll take Gaz

Woodrow Call
01-03-2006, 10:21 AM
My personal choice is Ferentz but I think it will be Davis.

Piper
01-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I picked Hermy because that is who I want it to be.

Kinda payback for us having Hackett (which you guys all enjoyed watching). ;)

Signed
A Jet fan who is tired of Edwards act (not to mention his game day hijinks) :banghead:

Matt Helm
01-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I'd prefer Saunders, and a new Defensive coaching staff. But I suspect you are right....

The whole defensive staff?

Remember that when Gun came back it was like the second coming. You have to admit that there have been improvements in the defense, still some holes, but the scheme seemed to be coming along.

I'd prefer Saunders and having him let Trent do the play calling from the field. I know that is a long shot, but I think Trent has the ability to see the players and recognize what would work best, after all he has the best seat in the house.

Chief Henry
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I'd like Al Saunders to be our head coach and
Gunther to remanin as the D. Co....I would want
Saunders to tell Gun to hire or fire any of his current defensive coaches that he sees fit.

I would want Saunders to remain as the Off. cordinator as well as being the head coach.

Thats what I want, but i know I won't get it.
I don't think this team needs re-tooling myself.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
The whole defensive staff?

Remember that when Gun came back it was like the second coming. You have to admit that there have been improvements in the defense, still some holes, but the scheme seemed to be coming along.

I'd prefer Saunders and having him let Trent do the play calling from the field. I know that is a long shot, but I think Trent has the ability to see the players and recognize what would work best, after all he has the best seat in the house.

I'm indifferent as to whether Gun stays or leaves, I guess. I'd be willing to give him one more year, with a new staff.

Danush
01-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Edwards and Saunders, even. Well, let's hope it's one of them.

Danush
01-03-2006, 12:03 PM
A Jet fan who is tired of Edwards act (not to mention his game day hijinks) :banghead:

Translate please?

MOhillbilly
01-03-2006, 12:04 PM
jerry gray

Danush
01-03-2006, 12:11 PM
jerry gray

He's not even 35 years old, is he?

He's done pretty well though.

ChiTown
01-03-2006, 12:12 PM
None of the above.

Ron Rivera.

MOhillbilly
01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
He's not even 35 years old, is he?

He's done pretty well though.

i like the guy and IMO him and Gunther would work well together(scheme wise)

luv
01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
All I know about Herm Edwards is that Carl has wanted him for another position in the past, and that he's worth trading draft picks for. Just wondering, what all has he done? Is he offensively or defenfensively minded? Would he get along with Gunther? Who would he possibly choose as an OC?

jspchief
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
The poll is who I think it will be, not who I want it to be, right?

I chose Saunders. I think it would have been Edwards, but I think Carl is smart enough to not give away draft picks in a year when we desperately need them.

milkman
01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
I am pretty sure that I won't be happy with whoever Carl picks.

But if the guy shit cans Gun, then That'll go along way towards winning me over.

milkman
01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
The poll is who I think it will be, not who I want it to be, right?

I chose Saunders. I think it would have been Edwards, but I think Carl is smart enough to not give away draft picks in a year when we desperately need them.

We didn't desperately need those draft picks the year he hired Dick?

You have a hell of a lot more faith in Carl than I do.

luv
01-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I think Carl is smart enough to not give away draft picks in a year when we desperately need them.
I hope you're right.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I am pretty sure that I won't be happy with whoever Carl picks.

But if the guy shit cans Gun, then That'll go along way towards winning me over.

I'm so fed up with how things went, that I'll be happy with anybody as long as it's not Vermeil and Gunther is gone.

milkman
01-03-2006, 12:40 PM
All I know about Herm Edwards is that Carl has wanted him for another position in the past, and that he's worth trading draft picks for. Just wondering, what all has he done? Is he offensively or defenfensively minded? Would he get along with Gunther? Who would he possibly choose as an OC?

Hermie's background is on the defensive side of the ball.

A former DB that played for Dick in Philly, he was also a part of Monte Kiffen's defensive staff in Tampa.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 12:48 PM
We didn't desperately need those draft picks the year he hired Dick?

You have a hell of a lot more faith in Carl than I do.We got the same number of draft picks in return when Washington hired Marty.

And no, we didn't need them as bad. We are the oldest team in the league, in a year where we'll be stagnant in the FA market. If we don't have draft picks, this team won't improve it's talent at all this year.

Maybe Carl is that stupid, but I'm praying that he is not.

milkman
01-03-2006, 12:52 PM
We got the same number of draft picks in return when Washington hired Marty.

And no, we didn't need them as bad. We are the oldest team in the league, in a year where we'll be stagnant in the FA market. If we don't have draft picks, this team won't improve it's talent at all this year.

Maybe Carl is that stupid, but I'm praying that he is not.

That team wasn't as old, but the talent base, if my memory hasn't failed me, was pathetic.

Donnie freakin' Edwards was our best defensive player.

CoMoChief
01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Who's the dumbass that chose Butch Davis?

Mecca
01-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Personally I see this as pretty clear cut, I think Edwards is the first choice. If the price for him is to high or he won't leave, Butch Davis is the fall back plan.

Woodrow Call
01-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Who's the dumbass that chose Butch Davis?

I did. The poll is who WILL be not who I want. Like I said earlier in the thread I prefer Ferentz but I am guessing Davis.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Taking any other guy than Saunders will be risky for CP. If a new guy does not pan out Peterson will always be remembered as the GM who unnecessarily dismantled a good thing. If Al somehow does not pan out he can always say that he tried to protect a good thing and also listened to his well respected former coach.

We do have a good thing going. We only need to continue the 'D' improvement and start bringing in future replacements for the older 'O' players. For that we need team stability. And for that we need Al Saunders as head coach.

Matt Helm
01-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Taking any other guy than Saunders will be risky for CP. If a new guy does not pan out Peterson will always be remembered as the GM who unnecessarily dismantled a good thing. If Al somehow does not pan out he can always say that he tried to protect a good thing and also listened to his well respected former coach.

We do have a good thing going. We only need to continue the 'D' improvement and start bringing in future replacements for the older 'O' players. For that we need team stability. And for that we need Al Saunders as head coach.

The biggest problem with updating the O is that it will be virtually impossible to find replacements for Roaf and Shields.

Danush
01-03-2006, 01:10 PM
The biggest problem with updating the O is that it will be virtually impossible to find replacements for Roaf and Shields.

Roaf is coming back. Wellborne will be okay; at least as okay as Shields was this year.

KCTitus
01-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I am pretty sure that I won't be happy with whoever Carl picks...

LOL...that should be the motto of this site.

sedated
01-03-2006, 01:13 PM
In Saunders I trust

Wile_E_Coyote
01-03-2006, 01:20 PM
I think it will be Saunders. The other candidates seem rather weak & Carl may pick him just to show the media they don't know what the hell they're talking about(AS & CP rif).

milkman
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
LOL...that should be the motto of this site.

I'm pretty sure the motto for this site is already "Damnit Carl!!! :cuss: ".

Frosty
01-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Since the poll is asking who it will be and not who I want it to be, I'm guessing it will be someone out of left field: Wade Phillips.

Defensive minded, former head coach who will work cheap and has the all important feature that "he knows the division".

At which point, I'll be turning my attention to college football for a couple of years.

KCTitus
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the motto for this site is already "Damnit Carl!!! :cuss: ".

Oh yeah...

Otter
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Give Al the job and if Gunther is going to stay let him handle the defense, no questions asked. That way you find out really fast if he sucks or is a victim of circumstance.

I"ll be sure to relay that to Carl when he calls me.

KCTitus
01-03-2006, 01:43 PM
...I"ll be sure to relay that to Carl when he calls me.

Yeah, I told him the same thing.

Danush
01-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Give Al the job and if Gunther is going to stay let him handle the defense, no questions asked. That way you find out really fast if he sucks or is a victim of circumstance.

I"ll be sure to relay that to Carl when he calls me.

That's a good point. Especially if the D is healthy next year, Gun would have no excuses then, that's for sure.

Logical
01-03-2006, 02:01 PM
I voted Cam Cameron because I expect the HC to be a suprise. Cameron actually getting the job would be very suprising.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 02:07 PM
where's the Gunther Cunningham option?

Mecca
01-03-2006, 02:08 PM
where's the Gunther Cunningham option?

Just put the gun barrell in my mouth now.......

Saggysack
01-03-2006, 02:13 PM
None of the above.

Ron Rivera.

ditto

Frankie
01-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Just put the gun barrell in my mouth now.......
I wouldn't word my post about Gun like that. But I'll let this one go. ;)

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 02:15 PM
None of the above.

Ron Rivera.

I'm bettin' he ends up in Minnesota.

Frankie
01-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I voted Cam Cameron because I expect the HC to be a suprise. Cameron actually getting the job would be very suprising.Actually he would be my 2nd choice after Saunders.

Piper
01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Translate please?
His speeches are big on moral victories(we tried hard) and his game management is monumentally poor (like having Pennington kneel in the playoffs game adding 3 yards to a 50 yard FG).

His game day decisions are responsible for two losses a year.

Last year Marty out-'Marty'ed' him

BigRedChief
01-03-2006, 02:26 PM
SI Article

I know Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson's first choice is current Jets head coach Herman Edwards, but we don't happen to share the opinion that Edwards is the only answer to what ails Kansas City. Look around the NFL, Carl. The sagest head coaching hires of late have been the guys with defensive coordinator experience (of which Edwards has none).

There's Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati, Lovie Smith in Chicago, Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville (playoff coaches all in 2005), John Fox in Carolina, Jim Mora in Atlanta, Mike Nolan in San Francisco, Romeo Crennel in Cleveland and Nick Saban in Miami. When you throw in former defensive coordinators like Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher, Jeff Fisher, Bill Parcells and Marty Schottenheimer, much of the league is led by that particular coaching sub-set.

And not coincidentally, defense is what kept the Chiefs from achieving elite status during Dick Vermeil's five-year coaching tenure. That's why we thought Kansas City would be wise to make sure it was in the lead in the chase for Washington's Gregg Williams, a Missouri native who has done good work heading up the Redskins defense the past two seasons under Joe Gibbs. But Washington retained Williams for at least another year on Tuesday, taking the league's hottest assistant coaching candidate off the market.

The Chiefs could opt for youth with candidates such as Tim Lewis and Donnie Henderson, or experience with the likes of Philadelphia's Jim Johnson or Tampa Bay's Monte Kiffin. But whatever K.C. does, it should think defense first.