PDA

View Full Version : My draft wish...

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Everybody has already talked about Marcus McNeil, I think he'd be an awesome pick, but...

The guy I really covet is Michael Huff from Texas. He's played both CB and S in college, but at 6'1", 205, I'd be looking at him to take over Greg Wesley's spot. He's an electric playmaker and has a real nose for the ball.

He looks like a guy that could go 6-7 picks ahead of us, but because of his tweener status, he could slip.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 09:46 AM
I love Huff. I mentioned him in a draft thread I started a few weeks ago.

I just don't see any way he would make it to the 20th spot.

nascher
01-03-2006, 09:47 AM
yes he is good nobody thought dj would make it to #15 :)

Mr. Kotter

We were saying the same thing about DJ last year at this time....

irishjayhawk

Yeah, but we all thought that about Johnson falling to the 15th. Maybe it can happen twice.

morphius
01-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Of course we would screw him up and make him a CB...

Just a guess though.

Baby Lee
01-03-2006, 09:49 AM
My poem for htis

If you have tweener dreams,
you picked the right team.

:D

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 09:51 AM
I've seen Huff projected as high as 12th and as low as 23rd. I think the fact he moved around so much at least gives us a chance.

And for anyone wondering about defensive tackles, the only guy that I think fits what we need in the 1st round is Rod Wright and I have serious concerns about his attitude and work ethic.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm skeptical that we could win the lottery two years in a row. I won't order my Huff Chiefs jersey just yet.

I'm sure if he's there, the Chiefs would take him. He'd be the best athlete on the board and he fits a need.

Saulbadguy
01-03-2006, 09:52 AM
STOP ****ING SAYING TWEENER!!

Herzig
01-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Mock you.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/mock2006.html

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 09:53 AM
My poem for htis

If you have tweener dreams,
you picked the right team.

:D

:thumb:

Honestly, I don't look at him as a traditional "tweener". I think he was moved around alot moreso because they couldn't figure out where NOT TO use him, rather than where TO use him.

He reminds me of Ed Reed. We need that.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 09:54 AM
I honestly think the guy could play either corner or safety. He has the speed to play corner. The reason he got moved to safety was because Texas had other guys that were capable of playing CB, but no one to play safety.

He's become as much of a hitter as a ballhawk. In the mold of Ed Reed

Herzig
This one cracks me up ROFL

http://www.insidetheeagles.com/2006mockdraft.htm

Hoover
So let me get this stright, you guys want another converted saftie on this team?

Herzig
01-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Maybe in the 2nd..not the 1st.

Claude Wroten DT 6’3 290 LSU
By: Robert Davis

After a standout JuCo career, Claude Wroten came to LSU and had immediate success on the field. As a junior, he was All SEC after finishing the year with 44 tackles, 12 for loss, and six sacks. This season, he tallied 45 tackles, 9.5 for loss, and five sacks.

Wroten is one of the best penetrating interior linemen in this draft. He gets an excellent jump off the ball, and has the quickness to get through the line and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Wroten also displays excellent athleticism and agility to change directions and run down plays. He’s one of the best athletes among defensive tackles in the draft.

His game is quickness and penetration, so if he does not get that initial step, he can be neutralized. Wroten lacks the pure bulk to hold up at the point on a consistent basis.

Claude Wroten has only played two years at the D1 level, but he’s been a consistent performer since stepping on to the field. He has made a name for himself and is a very good prospect for the 2006 NFL Draft. With his playmaking ability and athleticism, he could hear his name called early come April. Wroten will probably hear his name called somewhere in the Top 40 of the draft.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Mock you.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/mock2006.html

My problem with Claude Wroten is that he's small, doesn't have the frame to add weight, and reportedly struggles with lower body strength. His biggest strength is 1-gap rushing the passer. He's a complimentary player and IMO, that's not what we need.

I look at Jacksonville with Henderson and Stroud. We have Henderson (Ryan Sims), we need Marcus Stroud.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 09:59 AM
So let me get this stright, you guys want another converted saftie on this team?I don't think you understand the history behind Huff. He's not a tweener.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 09:59 AM
So let me get this stright, you guys want another converted saftie on this team?

Um, no.

Did you miss the part where I said I'd like him to replace GREG WESLEY?

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:00 AM
This one cracks me up ROFL

http://www.insidetheeagles.com/2006mockdraft.htm

A tight end...

Out of UCLA no less...

Appropriate...

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:02 AM
STOP ****ING SAYING TWEENER!!

Sorry, Saul, don't shoot the messenger! :D

I don't consider him a tweener, I'm just passing on what most people consider the "knock" on him...

Herzig
01-03-2006, 10:02 AM
My problem with Claude Wroten is that he's small, doesn't have the frame to add weight, and reportedly struggles with lower body strength. His biggest strength is 1-gap rushing the passer. He's a complimentary player and IMO, that's not what we need.

I look at Jacksonville with Henderson and Stroud. We have Henderson (Ryan Sims), we need Marcus Stroud.

How about this guy?

Jesse Mahelona DT 6’2 297 Tennessee

Jesse Mahelona left Hawaii to play JuCo ball at Orange Coast College in California, and immediately made a name for himself. Despite playing only two games as a sophomore because of a broken ankle, he had every major program after him, and Tennessee won out for his services. As a junior in 2004, Mahelona made a major impact on the Vols interior line. He had 42 tackles with 18.5 of them for loss, and 5 sacks. Prior to this season, he was named to the Playboy All-American list.

Mahelona is the ideal 4-3 defensive tackle. He has a great burst off the line, and displays the ability to consistently penetrate the line. For a 300lber, he also shows great closing speed and the ability to chase down plays from behind. What makes Mahelona special is that he combines that penetration ability with great natural strength and the ability to hold his ground at the point of attack. While he is best suited for the 4-3, he could play in a 3-4 alignment on the edge.

Other than lacking ideal height for a defensive tackle, there isn’t a whole lot to knock in Mahelona’s game. He doesn’t have a great deal of experience, as he only played one season at JuCo before transferring to Tennessee.

There are a few defensive tackles near the top of the draft that could crack the Top 15. Mahelona has as good a shot as anyone to achieve that. For a team that wants someone to disrupt plays from the inside, Mahelona is the best tackle for them. But with a few other tackles that have better natural size, and they may be placed higher on some teams boards.

Brock
01-03-2006, 10:03 AM

WTF is a saftie?

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:07 AM
How about this guy?

Jesse Mahelona left Hawaii to play JuCo ball at Orange Coast College in California, and immediately made a name for himself. Despite playing only two games as a sophomore because of a broken ankle, he had every major program after him, and Tennessee won out for his services. As a junior in 2004, Mahelona made a major impact on the Vols interior line. He had 42 tackles with 18.5 of them for loss, and 5 sacks. Prior to this season, he was named to the Playboy All-American list.

Mahelona is the ideal 4-3 defensive tackle. He has a great burst off the line, and displays the ability to consistently penetrate the line. For a 300lber, he also shows great closing speed and the ability to chase down plays from behind. What makes Mahelona special is that he combines that penetration ability with great natural strength and the ability to hold his ground at the point of attack. While he is best suited for the 4-3, he could play in a 3-4 alignment on the edge.

Other than lacking ideal height for a defensive tackle, there isn’t a whole lot to knock in Mahelona’s game. He doesn’t have a great deal of experience, as he only played one season at JuCo before transferring to Tennessee.

There are a few defensive tackles near the top of the draft that could crack the Top 15. Mahelona has as good a shot as anyone to achieve that. For a team that wants someone to disrupt plays from the inside, Mahelona is the best tackle for them. But with a few other tackles that have better natural size, and they may be placed higher on some teams boards.

The only thing about Mahelona is mentioned in the last paragraph - his stock is all over the place right now. Could be a high 2nd-rounder, could be a 1st-rounder. His stock will get more clear after the comine I think.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I like this guy... :D

Rodrique Wright

Height: 6-5 | Weight: 305 | 40-Time: 5.00

Official Bio

Strengths:
Big with a large frame that he could easily pack some additional pounds onto...An excellent natural athlete...Very quick and explosive with a burst...Strong and can hold his ground...Has great range and makes plays all over the field...Will penetrate and cause problems in the backfield...Has a lot of experience...Might be able to play defensive end in a 3-4 scheme...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
An underachiever who doesn't always play up to his physical ability...Is not a hard worker...Technique is lacking...Will play too high at times...Allows blockers to lock on...Motor and stamina are very questionable...Has some durability concerns and dealt with a nagging angle injury for most of his junior season.

Notes:
Cousin of NFL defensive lineman Cedric Woodard and his uncle Elmo was a first-round draft pick of the Kansas City Chiefs in 1971...Talented player who looked like a future elite pro prospect early in his career before leveling off...Has the tools to be great but must be more consistent to fulfill that potential.

OR
Defensive Tackle | Senior | Florida St. Brodrick Bunkley
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 284 | 40-Time: 5.05

Official Bio

Strengths:
Very solid and compactly built...Extremely strong...Holds his ground and will not get pushed around...Has tremendous balance...Is very quick and explosive...Does a great job of penetrating and makes a lot of plays in the opponents backfield...Has a motor that never stops...Plays with good leverage...Locates the ball well...Gets a great push up the middle...Had an outstanding senior campaign.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great size or bulk...Durability is a concern and he has a history of knee and ankle problems...Has not been the hardest worker throughout his career...His lack of size might become more of a problem at the next level...Is on the ground too much...Was arrested for stealing a video game in 2003.

Notes:
Tore the ACL in his left knee while in high school and then tore the MCL in the same knee in 2002...Potential nose tackle...Could end up being one of the best defensive tackles the Noles have produced, which is really saying something.

Saulbadguy
01-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Sorry, Saul, don't shoot the messenger! :D

I don't consider him a tweener, I'm just passing on what most people consider the "knock" on him...
I don't hate the fact that he may be undersized, or oversized, depending on the position he is slated to play...but I just hate that ****ing word.

Ari Chi3fs
01-03-2006, 10:22 AM
to be quite frank, if we dont go OT or DT, ill be a bit upset... as those are our two areas of main need.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:26 AM
NFLdraftcountdown has a new mock up today, and they have us taking Brodrick Bunkley. I'm not impressed.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/brodrickbunkley.html

Bowser
01-03-2006, 10:27 AM

No, I want to draft a safety that actually PLAYS safety. If he ends up being a corner in our dime packages, then so be it.

Wesley can be the 2006 version of Jerome Woods.

Herzig
01-03-2006, 10:35 AM
to be quite frank, if we dont go OT or DT, ill be a bit upset... as those are our two areas of main need.

I could live with a high profile WR...but I agree with you.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:35 AM

We have SEVERAL areas of need. If we zone in on OT or DT instead of taking the best available athlete, well...that's how you end up with Ryan Sims...

Lzen
01-03-2006, 10:36 AM
We need a DE or DT in the 1st round. However, if Huff is available when we pick, I won't be disappointed if the Chiefs nab him.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:36 AM
I like this guy... :D

Rodrique Wright

Official Bio

Strengths:
Big with a large frame that he could easily pack some additional pounds onto...An excellent natural athlete...Very quick and explosive with a burst...Strong and can hold his ground...Has great range and makes plays all over the field...Will penetrate and cause problems in the backfield...Has a lot of experience...Might be able to play defensive end in a 3-4 scheme...Still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
An underachiever who doesn't always play up to his physical ability...Is not a hard worker...Technique is lacking...Will play too high at times...Allows blockers to lock on...Motor and stamina are very questionable...Has some durability concerns and dealt with a nagging angle injury for most of his junior season.

Notes:
Cousin of NFL defensive lineman Cedric Woodard and his uncle Elmo was a first-round draft pick of the Kansas City Chiefs in 1971...Talented player who looked like a future elite pro prospect early in his career before leveling off...Has the tools to be great but must be more consistent to fulfill that potential.

OR
Defensive Tackle | Senior | Florida St. Brodrick Bunkley
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 284 | 40-Time: 5.05

Official Bio

Strengths:
Very solid and compactly built...Extremely strong...Holds his ground and will not get pushed around...Has tremendous balance...Is very quick and explosive...Does a great job of penetrating and makes a lot of plays in the opponents backfield...Has a motor that never stops...Plays with good leverage...Locates the ball well...Gets a great push up the middle...Had an outstanding senior campaign.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great size or bulk...Durability is a concern and he has a history of knee and ankle problems...Has not been the hardest worker throughout his career...His lack of size might become more of a problem at the next level...Is on the ground too much...Was arrested for stealing a video game in 2003.

Notes:
Tore the ACL in his left knee while in high school and then tore the MCL in the same knee in 2002...Potential nose tackle...Could end up being one of the best defensive tackles the Noles have produced, which is really saying something.

I have a problem with both. Neither seems to have a good work ethic.

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 10:38 AM
NFLdraftcountdown has a new mock up today, and they have us taking Brodrick Bunkley. I'm not impressed.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/brodrickbunkley.html

Oh, good, more undersized DTs.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh, good, more undersized DTs.

Yep.

If we're gonna take a guy with injury and work ethic concerns, I'd MUCH rather have Wright.

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I would be leary of drafting any Texas player...seems like most of them on the defensive side of the football turn out to be dissappointments....the creampuff big 12 schedule they play other then Oklahoma is probably largely responsible.

I think a better option at safety is actually Warfield.

Think you got this backwards. Simms is a 3 technique (1-gap penetrator),- Dalton has been the NT in our defense kidn've like Henderson in the Jacksonville defense. I think the plan is let Jr. take over the NT.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I have a problem with both. Neither seems to have a good work ethic.

It's so hard to really tell. I've read that some places, but other places say that criticism is over-blown....so who knows. That's what these next couple of months will sort out I guess.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I would be leary of drafting any Texas player...seems like most of them on the defensive side of the football turn out to be dissappointments....

Like who?

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 10:56 AM
the difference (and a huge one imo) is that that they are talking about putting a guy with corner coverage skills at safety.... not the other way around.

we keep trying to make cornerbacks outa safeties.... much,much harder.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Like who?

Eh, you know. Roy Williams has really SUCKED for the Cowboys.

And who were the idiots that drafted Derrick Johnson again? What a friggin' bust he was!

;)

Tribal Warfare
01-03-2006, 11:02 AM
If KC passes on Eric Winston I'll be pissed

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 11:03 AM
I would be leary of drafting any Texas player...seems like most of them on the defensive side of the football turn out to be dissappointments....the creampuff big 12 schedule they play other then Oklahoma is probably largely responsible.

Are you kidding?

Marcus Tubbs, Nathan Vasher, Derrick Johnson, Shaun Rogers, Casey Hampton. Even Chris Simms is taking his team to the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/TX

Think you got this backwards. Simms is a 3 technique (1-gap penetrator),- Dalton has been the NT in our defense kidn've like Henderson in the Jacksonville defense. I think the plan is let Jr. take over the NT.

I'm talking about two things, only one of which is related to technique.

1) Sims is our 3T, we don't need another.

2) Sims, like Henderson, is not the ANCHOR, he's the compliment. Marcus Stroud is the foundation of that line. We need one of those.

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 11:03 AM
We don't need to draft a DT, we need one that's in the NFL now and is experienced.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Like who?

Take a look at the link a posted.

Not only is he wrong, but it looks to me like taking a Texas defensive lineman is a GREAT move.

htismaqe
We don't need to draft a DT, we need one that's in the NFL now and is experienced.

Free agent tackles very rarely ever work out. We either draft one or trade for one.

sedated
This is a great draft for OT's, so we can pick one up in the 2nd.

But it would be hard to draft another f-ing DT. Haven't we learned we can't pick those?

I say go for the pass-rush DE.

Safeties are so easy to get via Free Agency, no need to waste a 1st Rd pick on one.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 11:58 AM
This is a great draft for OT's, so we can pick one up in the 2nd.

But it would be hard to draft another f-ing DT. Haven't we learned we can't pick those?

I say go for the pass-rush DE.

Safeties are so easy to get via Free Agency, no need to waste a 1st Rd pick on one.

1) This isn't a great draft for 1st-round DE's. Kiwi and Williams will likely go way before we pick. Hali and Dumervil would be options, but they both have size concerns, and may slip to the 2nd.

2) I hope your kidding about getting safeties via free agency. The top safeties in the game, the ones that can really get the job done, are all draftees. Roy Williams, Polamalu, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, etc. Only Sharper has really excelled as a free agent.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Take a look at the link a posted.

Not only is he wrong, but it looks to me like taking a Texas defensive lineman is a GREAT move.I don't need to look at the link. I already know he doesn't know what the f*ck he's talking about. The few guys that immediately came to mind were DJ, Vasher, and Shaun Rogers.

But remember, "Bill Snyder was always by far the best coach in the nation....no comparison....not even close." :rolleyes:

Mecca
01-03-2006, 12:13 PM
The guys you could point out as Texas busts would be Quintin Jammer and Mike Williams-Bills OT.

What about Gabe Watson as a DT? He's one huge man, he'd fill the NT need.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't need to look at the link. I already know he doesn't know what the f*ck he's talking about. The few guys that immediately came to mind were DJ, Vasher, and Shaun Rogers.

But remember, "Bill Snyder was always by far the best coach in the nation....no comparison....not even close." :rolleyes:

Casey Hampton was a Longhorn. Look at how he's anchored his defense. Tony Brackens was a Longhorn, not a star, not a dud.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
The guys you could point out as Texas busts would be Quintin Jammer and Mike Williams-Bills OT.

What about Gabe Watson as a DT? He's one huge man, he'd fill the NT need.

Jammer isn't a bust. Not worthy of where he was picked, but not a bust. He's a full-time starter.

Williams is a bust, although he has been playing guard.

Williams is an offensive player though, and he said defensive.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Gabe Watson.

The big concern with him is attitude. I watched him alot this year, and I tend to think the scouting reports are pretty accurate.

Strengths:
Has excellent size...Solid athlete with good quickness for a man of his dimensions...Moves well and has a burst...An immovable force who can control the line and is a premier run stuffer...Tough to block one-on-one and requires double teams, which he has shown the ability to beat...Very strong and a great bull rusher who will collapse the pocket...Can get some penetration as a pass rusher.

Weaknesses:
Underachiever who doesn't always play up to his talent level...Looks like a Top 5 pick on one play and a 7th rounder on the next...Lazy and needs to show more effort on a consistent basis...Struggles to stay in shape and gets too heavy...Has trouble with his stamina and easily runs out of gas...Seems to be on the ground a lot...Will never be a great pass rusher...Was actually benched as a senior.

Notes:
Possible 3-4 nose tackle...Can be very disruptive and the things he does don't always show up in the box score...Has all the potential in the world but only plays up to it in spurts...Could be a great player at the next level but any team drafting him will be gambling that they can get the best out of him...Boom or bust prospect.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
He said it seems like most defensive players taken from Texas are busts.

Over the last five years, there's been a hell of a lot more defensive successes out of Texas than busts.

It's an opinion that appears to have very little basis in fact.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:21 PM
One more thing about Gabe Watson...he's precisely the type of guy we need, outside of his attitude.

He's the type that could anchor the line, eat up double-teams, and free up Allen and Sims to do what they do...

Mecca
01-03-2006, 12:21 PM
That scouting report, is why drafting DT's is so hard. 90% of DT's are big fat lazy guys, it's just a matter if you can motivate them or not.

Mecca
01-03-2006, 12:23 PM
One more thing about Gabe Watson...he's precisely the type of guy we need, outside of his attitude.

He's the type that could anchor the line, eat up double-teams, and free up Allen and Sims to do what they do...

If he lasts till our 2nd pick, I think we should take the risk on him.

jspchief
That scouting report, is why drafting DT's is so hard. 90% of DT's are big fat lazy guys, it's just a matter if you can motivate them or not.No kidding. Find me a DT scouting report that doesn't list effort/attitude as a weakness.

duncan_idaho
Ruff makes a lot of plays, and the o-linemen seem similar after Ferguson. I'd like this move. Adding a difference maker on defense never hurts.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
That scouting report, is why drafting DT's is so hard. 90% of DT's are big fat lazy guys, it's just a matter if you can motivate them or not.

That is true. You'll be hard-pressed to find a scouting report for a DT that doesn't mention attitude somewhere.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
If he lasts till our 2nd pick, I think we should take the risk on him.

ABSOLUTELY.

I don't think he'll last that long though...

milkman
01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
How about this guy?

So the knock on this guy is height?

How tall is Maike Patterson?

Sully
01-03-2006, 12:48 PM
I was reading Wright's scouting report, and I don't understand something.
How can he have a motor that doesn't stop, but also have a problem with work ethic? Is it a difference between practice vs gameday? I just don't get that.

Mecca
01-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I was reading Wright's scouting report, and I don't understand something.
How can he have a motor that doesn't stop, but also have a problem with work ethic? Is it a difference between practice vs gameday? I just don't get that.

I guess he's lazy when he's not playing but plays hard? That's extremely contradictory though.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I haven't seen much that says he's a motor guy...

Rodrique Wright

Official Bio

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

Sully
01-03-2006, 01:12 PM
It was in one of the links posted on this thread.

KCTitus
01-03-2006, 01:15 PM
OT's are a big need this year. Lose the line, the offense is done and so is LJ. Then we're nothing more than the 90's version of the Chiefs.

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Another high round texas bust...Cory Redding...

A total bust? No, but I don't think either him or Shaun Rogers produce what was expected of them....if they did then I would think that detroit defense would be able to get a stop from time to time.

That is one of the things that I heard from more then one person that year that hurt DJ....high Texas picks often tend to be overhyped. Guess the future will tell won't it? I'm predict both Rodrique Wright and Huff will prove in 5 years not to be worthy of first round picks....

Joining the list of texas flops Mike williams, Jammer, Redding, Cedric Benson et. al.

Vasher is the only one I'm aware of that has exceeded expectations for a UT prospect. DJ hasn't. Roy Williams hasn't.

Mecca
01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Shaun Rogers was a 2nd round pick that's become a Pro Bowl DT. I don't really know how you can say he hasn't lived up to anything........

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Free agent tackles very rarely ever work out. We either draft one or trade for one.

I didn't say free agent.

We need to trade for one.

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2006, 01:28 PM
The pro bowl doesn't amount too much IMO. Vick made the pro bowl this year. What I see is detroits defense unable to stop interior running and they have 2 UT defenders inside so take that or what it's worth.

Phuqtards like Jspchief look at shit like the pro bowl and base all their opinions off of that instead of evaluating a player with their own eyes and seeing what he can or can't do.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 01:29 PM

A total bust? No, but I don't think either him or Shaun Rogers produce what was expected of them....if they did then I would think that detroit defense would be able to get a stop from time to time.

That is one of the things that I heard from more then one person that year that hurt DJ....high Texas picks often tend to be overhyped. Guess the future will tell won't it? I'm predict both Rodrique Wright and Huff will prove in 5 years not to be worthy of first round picks....

Joining the list of texas flops Mike williams, Jammer, Redding, Cedric Benson et. al.

Vasher is the only one I'm aware of that has exceeded expectations for a UT prospect. DJ hasn't. Roy Williams hasn't.Shaun Rogers is easily one of the best DTs in the NFL. Easily.

DJ hasn't exceeded expectations, but he has lived up to high expectations. You think he's a bust? Jammer may not have lived up to expectations, but I think "bust" would be overly critical.

As for Mike Williams, Roy Williams, and Cedric Benson, They are offense. You said defense.

"Most" implies more rather than less. Saying most defensive players out of Texas are busts is simply wrong.

Mecca
01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I wish we had Shaun Rogers........so take that for what it's worth.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 01:31 PM

Vasher is the only one I'm aware of that has exceeded expectations for a UT prospect. DJ hasn't. Roy Williams hasn't.

Cedric Benson? He's been in the league for one year? Was Larry Johnson a flop?

You're on crack dude.

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
oh yeah Jspchief...i just edited my above post and it's addressed directly to you.

milkman
01-03-2006, 01:34 PM
I think B Ambhuel is a well spoken, articulate poster.

It's just too bad he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

duncan_idaho
01-03-2006, 01:38 PM
The pro bowl doesn't amount too much IMO. Vick made the pro bowl this year. What I see is detroits defense unable to stop interior running and they have 2 UT defenders inside so take that or what it's worth.

Phuqtards like Jspchief look at shit like the pro bowl and base all their opinions off of that instead of evaluating a player with their own eyes and seeing what he can or can't do.

Redding is a defensive end, not a tackle. I think they move him inside on passing downs, but he's an end.

As for Rogers... you'd have a hard time finding a single talent evaluator in the NFL who wouldn't put Rogers in the Top 5/10 DTs in the NFL.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 01:38 PM

I am evaluating players with my own eyes.

Shaun Rogers was injured this season and missed 2 complete games.

In the 3 seasons that he's played all 16 games, they were 10th in yards per attempt, 13th, and 8th.

It's quite simple. You're the only one here that watches any football. Your opinion is GOLD. Anybody that disagrees with you is an idiot. I've got you pegged.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
oh yeah Jspchief...i just edited my above post and it's addressed directly to you.Dude, if you think Shaun Rogers is a bust you're a f*cking moron. He's one of the best DTs in the game right now, if not the best.

Besides, I didn't say shit about the pro-bowl. I make my judgements off of watching players. Something that you clearly haven't done in the case of Shaun Rogers and Cory Redding.

You think Cory Redding is bad at stopping interior running? He's a f*cking DE you idiot. Dan Wilkinson is the other Detroit DT. Tell me again about how you make your judgements by watching. When did you watch Redding in the middle of Detroit's D-line?

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Redding is a defensive end, not a tackle. I think they move him inside on passing downs, but he's an end.

ROFL

OUTED!!!

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2006, 01:45 PM
D-end, D-tackle whatever. A d-end is still considered inside when referring to the front 7.

Oh yeah, and I challenge anyone here to watch the game tomorrow night and instead of watching the ball go ahead and zero in on Rodrique Wright each and every snap. Then come back and tell me UT defenders aren't overhyped.

Mecca
01-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Were going to judge them in 1 game against maybe the best offense college football has ever seen. I'd say that's grading on a major curve.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Were going to judge them in 1 game against maybe the best offense college football has ever seen. I'd say that's grading on a major curve.Yes. That will be clear proof that most Texas defensive players are busts.

You use stupid things like Pro-bowls to determine success?

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2006, 02:00 PM
He's still playing against players who aren't as good as the players he'll be facing 3 months from now as an NFL

You've guys have heard about Wright....number one pick and this and that. Go ahead and watch him go against lesser players tomorow night then tell me you guys want him in a Chiefs uniform on Sundays.

Maybe he'll have a big game and get 15 tackles and 3 sacks...who knows....but don't be surprised if he looks worse then Ryan Sims and Jr. combined.

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Looks like it's going to be a htismaqe-jspchief-B_Ambuehl love triangle all offseason!

jspchief
01-03-2006, 02:06 PM
He's still playing against players who aren't as good as the players he'll be facing 3 months from now as an NFL

You've guys have heard about Wright....number one pick and this and that. Go ahead and watch him go against lesser players tomorow night then tell me you guys want him in a Chiefs uniform on Sundays.

Maybe he'll have a big game and get 15 tackles and 3 sacks...who knows....but don't be surprised if he looks worse then Ryan Sims and Jr. combined.Regardless of what Wright does, your statement about most defensive players from Texas being "busts" is absurd.

Personally, I'm not big on Wright, but he may be the best DT available when we pick. That doesn't mean we should take him. He's going to be going up against a 1st round Tackle and 2 excellent NFL caliber RBs. He may not have a great game.

I am big on Huff, and he probably won't have a great game either. That doesn't mean he sucks or will be a bust.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Looks like it's going to be a htismaqe-jspchief-B_Ambuehl love triangle all offseason!

We could call it the "Voyager Triangle" :hmmm:

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 02:09 PM
D-end, D-tackle whatever. A d-end is still considered inside when referring to the front 7.

Oh yeah, and I challenge anyone here to watch the game tomorrow night and instead of watching the ball go ahead and zero in on Rodrique Wright each and every snap. Then come back and tell me UT defenders aren't overhyped.

ROFL

I've already said MULTIPLE times that I have concerns about Wright. The fact that you think his play will prove one way or another that ALL UT defenders are overhyped is downright laughable...

I'll bet you were one of those that said Larry Johnson was a PSU running back, right?

milkman
01-03-2006, 02:15 PM

I've watched football for 40 years, and I have never, ever, heard anyone say anything like this.

Your and Idiot.

He's a Defensive END.

By definition, he's on the END of the line.

He doesn't play inside, no matter how you try to spin it.

Herzig
01-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Here's a guy playing tonight in the Orange bowl we might want to look at in the 2nd or 3rd round..

Tamba Hali DE 6'3 267 Penn St.

Tamba Hali has made the move very few make, moving from defensive tackle to defensive end at Penn St. He started his career as a tackle, and as a sophomore starter, he finished the season with 53 tackles, six for loss, with one sack despite playing hurt for most of the year. As a junior he moved outside to end, and was named All Big 10 after notching 51 tackles, 12 for loss, with six sacks. He turned into a true dominating force, as he had career highs in tackles, tackles for loss, and sacks, finishing with 62, 17, and 11 on the year.

Hali brings a very good combination of athleticism and strength to the football field. He has the athleticism to beat the tackle and get into the backfield, or to break down and tackle the ball carrier in space. Playing DT also allows him to be a force against the run as well. Hali plays with a great deal of passion and intensity on the field. He won't be outworked and he is coming full force on every down.

Despite his athleticism, Hali has limited pass rush moves. He makes more plays based on his ability to overpower college tackles and with his hustle. Hali also lacks the pure size to be a prime draft pick. When facing NFL sized tackles, he has shown the ability to be neutralized and taken out of plays.

Tamba Hali is a very solid prospect, and could hear his name called in the first round of the draft. He is not the stud playmaker other ends are, and he lacks the true standout gifts to be a real high pick. But his versatility and intensity will be coveted by teams in April.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't think Tamba Hali will make it to the second or third round. He may be around when we pick though.

Herzig
01-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Another...

Manny Lawson DE 6’6 245 North Carolina St.

Manny Lawson is one of the truly elite athletes in college football. Not only has he found time to play both end and linebacker, he’s also a track standout having competed in the long jump and hurdles during his time at NC St. As a linebacker in 2002, Lawson had 35 tackles, with one of them coming for loss. As a part time starter in 2003, he improved on all his numbers. He totaled 53 tackles, seven for loss, with three sacks. Lawson made the switch to DE in 2004, and became a full time starter for the first time in his career. On the year, he finished with 50 tackles, 12 for loss, and seven sacks.

Lawson is an absolute freak of an athlete. He has excellent agility, closing speed, and jumping ability. Pound for pound, he may also be the strongest player in the draft. There is not a single physical trait he lacks. On the football field, he is an emerging talent. He did not make too many plays early on, but once he moved to defensive end, he started to show his pass rushing ability. His upside is tremendous, and he could be a standout pass rusher at the next level. Lawson is also a standout special teamer.

With all his athletic gifts, he is prone to relying on them too often. A major part of that is due to his inexperience on the defensive line. As an end, he lacks the bulk to be a player against the run. Lawson carries the tweener tag, but that has not been a negative lately. Still, he may only fit for certain teams.

Manny Lawson has tremendous upside. As a pass rusher, he has as much pure talent as anyone in the draft. He is listed here as a defensive end, but he has the ability to play OLB in a 3-4 defense. Lawson is a guy that should rise up the charts as the draft approaches because of his awesome physical ability. He will really tear up the combines and individual workouts. Do not be surprised to see him crack the first round, but the second is the safe bet.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
I don't think Tamba Hali will make it to the second or third round. He may be around when we pick though.

He won't make it out of the 1st, IMO. I'm just not sure he's what we need - he's on the small side, excellent pass rusher, struggles against the run...

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Lawson is likely gonna play OLB in a 3-4.

Mecca
01-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Another...

Manny Lawson DE 6’6 245 North Carolina St.

Manny Lawson is one of the truly elite athletes in college football. Not only has he found time to play both end and linebacker, he’s also a track standout having competed in the long jump and hurdles during his time at NC St. As a linebacker in 2002, Lawson had 35 tackles, with one of them coming for loss. As a part time starter in 2003, he improved on all his numbers. He totaled 53 tackles, seven for loss, with three sacks. Lawson made the switch to DE in 2004, and became a full time starter for the first time in his career. On the year, he finished with 50 tackles, 12 for loss, and seven sacks.

Lawson is an absolute freak of an athlete. He has excellent agility, closing speed, and jumping ability. Pound for pound, he may also be the strongest player in the draft. There is not a single physical trait he lacks. On the football field, he is an emerging talent. He did not make too many plays early on, but once he moved to defensive end, he started to show his pass rushing ability. His upside is tremendous, and he could be a standout pass rusher at the next level. Lawson is also a standout special teamer.

With all his athletic gifts, he is prone to relying on them too often. A major part of that is due to his inexperience on the defensive line. As an end, he lacks the bulk to be a player against the run. Lawson carries the tweener tag, but that has not been a negative lately. Still, he may only fit for certain teams.

Manny Lawson has tremendous upside. As a pass rusher, he has as much pure talent as anyone in the draft. He is listed here as a defensive end, but he has the ability to play OLB in a 3-4 defense. Lawson is a guy that should rise up the charts as the draft approaches because of his awesome physical ability. He will really tear up the combines and individual workouts. Do not be surprised to see him crack the first round, but the second is the safe bet.

Manny Lawson in my view, will be a 3-4 stand up rusher. A Ware/Merriman type, in the NFL.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 03:44 PM
He won't make it out of the 1st, IMO. I'm just not sure he's what we need - he's on the small side, excellent pass rusher, struggles against the run...I'm not big on drafting a DE. I think with a better interior line, Allen will continue to flourish, and Hicks can be a solid role player. The great DEs will go too early. This draft is heavy with a lot of other positions that could address more pressing needs IMO. I guess it depends on how you feel about Hicks. I know my opinion isn't a common one, but I don't think replacing him is a priority.

duncan_idaho
01-03-2006, 03:46 PM

Nice try. Next you'll tell me that an offensive tackle can be blamed when a defensive tackle beats a guard and gets into the backfield, right... Or maybe that Norv Turner is a good coach and should be considered for the Chiefs' vacancy... Or that the sky actually is orange... Or that Chris Berman and Peter King actually know what they're talking about...

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm not big on drafting a DE. I think with a better interior line, Allen will continue to flourish, and Hicks can be a solid role player. The great DEs will go too early. This draft is heavy with a lot of other positions that could address more pressing needs IMO. I guess it depends on how you feel about Hicks. I know my opinion isn't a common one, but I don't think replacing him is a priority.

I HATE Hicks.

But we just don't need another 260-lb. speed rusher. We need a 280-lb. backside DE that can play the pass AND the run.

For my money, I'm looking at DT and FS in this draft.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I HATE Hicks.

But we just don't need another 260-lb. speed rusher. We need a 280-lb. backside DE that can play the pass AND the run.

For my money, I'm looking at DT and FS in this draft.I know. You and everbody else.

I'm just of the opinion that we're never going to have studs at every single position, and Hicks works as a guy that's good enough that I don't consider him a weakness.

I think DT and S are both high priorities, and are positions where we could could get fast return on the investment.

the Talking Can
01-03-2006, 04:24 PM

translation: "I got owned. Let's change the subject."

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I
I'm just of the opinion that we're never going to have studs at every single position, and Hicks works as a guy that's good enough that I don't consider him a weakness.

Me too.

Given the choice between an upgrade at DE versus an upgrade at DT, I'll take DT.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I know. You and everbody else.

I think DT and S are both high priorities, and are positions where we could could get fast return on the investment.

I know.

I'm saying I HATE Eric Hicks and I STILL agree with you. :thumb:

B_Ambuehl
01-05-2006, 09:13 AM
I missed the game so someone tell me how Rodrique Wright looked last night? Solid high first round material? How many tackles did he have and how much pressure did he get?

How about Huff? I didn't see the game but did see a couple of highlights of him getting embarrassed...Lindale White with the most vicious straight arm i've ever seen...another by a tight end. How'd he look overall though?

jspchief
01-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Huff had an excellent game. Made plays against the pass and against the run. If anything, he helped his stock last night.

Rod Wright rotated with another DT all night, and wasn't real visible when he was in. I still don't buy into the theory that one game is a large enough sample, especially against a team like USC, but Wright was pretty invisible.

htismaqe
01-05-2006, 09:29 AM
The thing that concerned about Wright wasn't what he did on the field, it's that he wasn't ON the field very much.

I also noticed though that Okam and the other guy (Peebles) were on and off alot too.

Maybe they just use alot of DT rotation...

jspchief
01-05-2006, 09:36 AM
The thing that concerned about Wright wasn't what he did on the field, it's that he wasn't ON the field very much.

I also noticed though that Okam and the other guy (Peebles) were on and off alot too.

Maybe they just use alot of DT rotation...They did use a lot of rotation. I had a hard time keeping track of who was on the field. It was that much more difficult because they had a DE #80 to confuse with Wright's #90. And it's not like the cameras focus on line play.

But still, I would think a 1st round caliber D-lineman would spend more time on the field. He certainly didn't stand out.

Calcountry
01-07-2006, 11:20 AM
STOP ****ING SAYING TWEENER!!Didn't I see that on a bumper sticker, "Tweeners Suck".

HolmeZz
01-07-2006, 12:45 PM
I like Huff, but the way LenDale made him eat his palm made me cringe. It was eerily Greg Wesley-esque.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 01:34 PM
My second round pick choice is FB Brian Leonard, the kid is a Kimble Anders clone

Chiefnj
01-07-2006, 02:28 PM
It would be a good year to draft an OT with the depth. Tamba Hali of Penn State would be a good solid DE - good against the run and can generate a pass rush. They really need a QB in the 2nd or 3rd. Green won't last forever.

HolmeZz
01-07-2006, 04:41 PM
My second round pick choice is FB Brian Leonard, the kid is a Kimble Anders clone

The kid is returning to school.

Count Zarth
01-07-2006, 06:48 PM

Maybe they just use alot of DT rotation...

From what I say Okam was getting the most penetration on passing downs...