PDA

View Full Version : Saunders Talking to Vikings Today according to ESPN radio NY

nychief
01-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Interviewed with CP yesterday in Minny today...

so ya know.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Phobia Athan told me the Lions hired him last week.

nychief
01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I just saw that was in the Star article this morning... sorry.

Bowser
01-03-2006, 10:29 AM
I guess the gals at Diamond Joe's don't match up to the ho's they import in up there.

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Any new juicy tidbits about Herm Edwards up there this morning?

nychief
01-03-2006, 10:31 AM
It is all they are talking about on the radio - Stephen A. Smith is going on and on about getting our first rnd draft pick and at THIRD for Herm. They have taken the AP story and run with it...

I'll update anthing I hear.

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 10:33 AM
It is all they are talking about on the radio - Stephen A. Smith is going on and on about getting our first rnd draft pick and at THIRD for Herm. They have taken the AP story and run with it...

Herm would be my #1 choice (other than Jeff Fisher - if he were available), but I don't want to see us trade the farm for him either.

The thought of Butch Davis makes me want to puke......

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
It is all they are talking about on the radio - Stephen A. Smith is going on and on about getting our first rnd draft pick and at THIRD for Herm.

F*ck that shit.

Bowser
01-03-2006, 10:35 AM

That had best not happen.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 10:35 AM
If we trade a 1st rounder for any coach, I'll puke.

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 10:37 AM
If we trade a 1st rounder for any coach, I'll puke.

Agreed. Also, Steven A Smith is a complete ass clown.

BTW, thanks in advance for posting any new updates you hear nychief.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Herm would be my #1 choice (other than Jeff Fisher - if he were available), but I don't want to see us trade the farm for him either.

The thought of Butch Davis makes me want to puke......

I'd rather have Butch Davis than trade away the 20th pick in the draft...

Brock
01-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Saunders costs nothing and wants the job.

No thanks to trading ANY draft picks.

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 10:44 AM

I'd rather have Al Sanders than Butch Davis.

I agree that we shouldn't trade the # 20 pick for Herm.

Extra Point
01-03-2006, 10:50 AM

DAMNED STRAIGHT!!!

KCFalcon59
01-03-2006, 10:53 AM

My God that is insane. Between that and giving Butch Davis an interview I am going to go apeshit if Carl ****s this up. I am teetering on the edge as it is. No way is Edwards worth that much.

Perparing to be disappointed.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 11:02 AM

GAWDDAM****INGARIGHTTHATSTUPID
PIECEOF****BETTERNOTTRADEDRAFT
PICKSFORAHEADCOACHWHENWEHAVE
ONEOFTHEBETTERPROSPECTSFORFREE
ALREADYINOURORGANIZATIONCOCKING
SUCKINGGOAT****INGPIECEOFBLOODY
VAGINALREFUSE.

Skip Towne
01-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I'd rather have Chiefs4me than trade away the 20th pick in the draft.

Brock
01-03-2006, 11:04 AM
VAGINALREFUSE.

To put it kindly.

nychief
01-03-2006, 12:04 PM
If Edwards wants to go, Jets ought to oblige
BY GARY MYERS
New York Daily News

NEW YORK - Bill Parcells set the standard for sudden and bizarre departures from the big office at Weeb Ewbank Hall. He read a poem to his players on his way out the door to the Jersey Shore. Bill Belichick then quit after 24 hours, scribbling a handwritten resignation. Al Groh liked the Jets so much he quit after one season. Herm Edwards is now in the on-deck circle.

Edwards could be gone within days. He insists he's staying and not planning an exit strategy. I think he could be leaving. There's definitely something to these Chiefs rumors that have been circulating since the opening week of the season, so I expect Chiefs president Carl Peterson to call Jets owner Woody Johnson or his Kansas City protege, GM Terry Bradway, perhaps as soon as today, to ask permission to speak to Edwards about replacing Dick Vermeil.

The Jets should not refuse, because if Edwards wants out, the last thing they need is a head coach who doesn't want to be here. The first step for the Jets is determining if Edwards wants to speak to Peterson. If he does want the job, before they let him talk, they have to work out compensation with the Chiefs or they lose their leverage. The Jets, who need to replenish the roster, should demand a first-round pick. Edwards is not Parcells or Belichick, especially on game day, but he is held in very high regard around the NFL.

There is a recent pattern here: The Jets don't fire coaches. The coaches fire them. Asked Monday what his response would be if the Chiefs, or any of the teams lining up for head coaches, should call, Edwards said, "No comment."

Now contrast that to his response to the same question in November: "I don't want to talk to any team. I'm the Jets coach and I'm going to try and be here for the next 10 years. Period. I'm staying here. You don't have to call me. I'm staying right here."

So, why the no comment now?

"I don't want to get put in a corner," he said. "I'm here. I plan on being the Jets coach. That's my plan. That was my plan six weeks ago. Same plan. End of story. That's it. We don't need to talk about it any more."

But this is not going away so fast. At the heart of this issue, big surprise, is money, security and expectations. Instead of Edwards dodging questions about whether he is going to get fired after a 4-12 season, he might be fielding offers from multiple teams.

Edwards has two years left at about $2 million per season on his Jets contract. He probably could get a five-year deal for $20 million from the Chiefs. Relatively speaking, Edwards is underpaid. Mike Sherman, fired Monday by the Packers, was making $3.2 million per year. Edwards' salary is in the bottom third of all coaches.

Unless Chad Pennington makes a full recovery and is back to his 2002 standards by opening day in September - what are the chances of that? - or Bradway brings in a quarterback who can win, then 2006 doesn't figure to produce many more victories than 2005. Then Edwards gets fired . . . unless Johnson gives him a contract extension now. Johnson did that two years ago after a 6-10 season. That would be an awfully tough sell after a 4-12 year.

Edwards said he hasn't talked to his representatives, so he couldn't answer whether he or his agent would approach the Jets about upgrading his contract. Would he be happy to return under his existing contract?

"I'm happy to be the coach here and I'm going to be the coach here," he said. "That's as far as I want to comment on it. Let's just leave it alone."

Edwards has done a good job for the Jets. He's made the playoffs three times - more than any coach in their history - even though Bradway's only draft choice to make the Pro Bowl is Santana Moss, who did it for the Redskins. No coach could survive losing his top two quarterbacks within seven plays in the same game. But if Edwards leaves, the Jets will survive, especially if they get quality picks from the Chiefs.

Here's the recent compensation market: The Raiders received two No. 1s, two No. 2s and $8 million from the Bucs for Jon Gruden. The Pats got picks in the first four rounds from the Jets for Parcells. The Jets got a No. 1 from the Pats for Belichick. The Chiefs gave up second- and third-round picks to the Rams for Vermeil, who was out of football at the time. The Redskins gave up two No. 3 picks to K.C. for Marty Schottenheimer, also out of football.

What is Edwards worth? There is a shortage of candidates this year, Edwards has been a playoff coach and the Jets could sure use an extra No. 1. Besides, other than a franchise quarterback, the head coach is the most important person in the organization. The Chiefs also are interested in Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and their own offensive coordinator, Al Saunders.

Of course, the Jets would have to hire a coach, too. Jim Haslett, fired Monday by the Saints, is a name floating around. The Jets can aim higher. They would be better off promoting offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger or going after Williams, who interviewed with Edwards for the Jets' defensive coordinator job after he was fired in Buffalo.

On getaway day in the Jets locker room, Curtis Martin was convinced Edwards will be back. "If I was a betting man, I would bet on that," he said. "I would put a lot on Herm being here."

And if he leaves? "I think you would definitely have a lot of disappointed players," he said. "Myself included."

Brock
01-03-2006, 12:10 PM
The Jets, who need to replenish the roster, should demand a first-round pick.

F*ck that.

beer bacon
01-03-2006, 12:11 PM

There is no possible way we trade a 1st for Herm.

The media is full of morons. The Jets should just demand that we trade up for Reggie Bush, and then trade him for Herm. Or why not just ask for our entire offense in exchange?

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:12 PM
That seals it.

Herm is coming to KC, and we won't have a pick until late in 3rd round.

the Talking Can
01-03-2006, 12:12 PM
I'd rather have Saunders than any of guys we're interested in...unless we're going to make a gusty move and roll the dice on Rivera or Ferentz or etc, I don't want any part of Edwards/Davis/Stoops....yuck

nychief
01-03-2006, 12:13 PM

I have the bad feeling, we might. If Carl thinks Herm will be the head man for 5 years.... shoot me.

Hog Farmer
01-03-2006, 12:17 PM

The media is full of morons. The Jets should just demand that we trade up for Reggie Bush, and then trade him for Herm. Or why not just ask for our entire offense in exchange?

:deevee:

BigMeatballDave
01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Carl trading a 1st for a coach? If he does this he should drape himself in Kevlar...

jidar
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this, so I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills, but didn't the NFL put a stop to trading Draft picks for coaches the season after we did it for Vermeil?
I thought it was only legal to trade Draft Picks for players now?

beer bacon
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Carl trading a 1st for a coach? If he does this he should drape himself in Kevlar...

This just in: NY media says the Jets should demand the principality of Luxembourg in exchange for Herm Edwards.

beer bacon
01-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned this, so I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills, but didn't the NFL put a stop to trading Draft picks for coaches the season after we did it for Vermeil?
I thought it was only legal to trade Draft Picks for players now?

It was posted earlier that John Clayton said on ESPN that you can trade draft picks for HCs, but not for coordinators or position coaches.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Brilliant strategy. The oldest team in the NFL combats aging by throwing away opportunities to cheaply infuse talented youth. On the bright side, we won't be active in free agency this year, so we won't get any younger that way either.

Look out 2004 Raiders.

nychief
01-03-2006, 12:30 PM
The NY Post had a little blurb today about Ty law coming up to Edwards and saying he wants to play for him next year, not the Jets, where ever Edwards is....

jidar
01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
The NY Post had a little blurb today about Ty law coming up to Edwards and saying he wants to play for him next year, not the Jets, where ever Edwards is....

woah what now? Hrm...

BigMeatballDave
01-03-2006, 12:34 PM
The NY Post had a little blurb today about Ty law coming up to Edwards and saying he wants to play for him next year, not the Jets, where ever Edwards is....Hmmm...

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:39 PM
We don't need Ty Law.

Hoover
01-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Who ****ing cares? It all depends on the DC. Shit we could have the best two corners in the League, and still give up 300 yards passing becasue we want our CBs to play 30 yards off the effin LOS

jspchief
01-03-2006, 12:41 PM
We don't need Ty Law.Here we go again.

I suppose he's going to play for cheap as long he plays for a winner. Wasn't that the deal last year when he turned down the contract offer from the Chiefs?

doomy3
01-03-2006, 12:45 PM
woah what now? Hrm...

Also, free agent DE Abraham has said that if Herm leaves, his number one choice of new team would be where Herm goes if they want him...

Mecca
01-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Now, I think everyone here would gladly take John Abraham.

BIG_DADDY
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
That seals it.

Herm is coming to KC, and we won't have a pick until late in 3rd round.

Herm isn't worth any draft picks.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Now, I think everyone here would gladly take John Abraham.The same John Abraham that sat out of play-off games because he didn't want an injury in a contract year?

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Here we go again.

I suppose he's going to play for cheap as long he plays for a winner. Wasn't that the deal last year when he turned down the contract offer from the Chiefs?

I don't even want to get into it after reading this:

ABOVE THE LAW: One of the most compelling figures in the Jets' season was cornerback Ty Law, the ballyhooed free-agent signing who intercepted a career-high 10 passes and made the Pro Bowl. But his sterling performance on the field was only one side of the story.

Turns out that Law was a major headache for the coaches. Apparently, he operated under the Ty Law Rules.

According to multiple sources, Law rarely practiced on Wednesdays, played overweight, argued with the strength-and-conditioning staff and hurt team chemistry with his attitude. His seat in the defensive meeting room was changed because the coaches didn't want him sitting next to promising rookie cornerback Justin Miller, said one source, claiming Law was a poor influence.

Law also wasn't required to attend Monday meetings, as per an agreement with Herm Edwards. Center Pete Kendall also had the same arrangement.

Edwards claimed Law wasn't a negative influence, adding that Law took a more active leadership role as the season progressed. But a person with knowledge of the situation said Law was "impossible" to handle. One player rolled his eyes when asked about Law's impact.

Asked if he provided leadership to the young players, Law said, "I gave what I am. I gave Ty Law."

Law, who knows he won't be back next season, left the locker room yesterday with a signed jersey from Curtis Martin and locker name plates that were autographed by various teammates. To retain Law, the Jets would have to pay an $11 million option bonus by March - and that's not happening. Law is eager to hit the free-agent market.

"I want to be an All-Pro again," said Law, who made $6 million for one season. "I'm trying to go back to the Super Bowl, I'm trying to get Defensive Player of the Year, I have so many goals in mind."

Law didn't rule out the possibility of returning to the Patriots. Don't hold your breath, Ty.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM

[i]ABOVE THE LAW: One of the most compelling figures in the Jets' season was cornerback Ty Law, the ballyhooed free-agent signing who intercepted a career-high 10 passes and made the Pro Bowl. But his sterling performance on the field was only one side of the story.

Turns out that Law was a major headache for the coaches. Apparently, he operated under the Ty Law Rules.

and your going to selectively believe this media report because???

sedated
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
If we got Herm, Law, and Abraham, I'd be willing to give up a 3rd Rd pick, no more.

I'm not worried about the chemistry stuff. We have enough veterans to shake that stuff off.

Where's TO?

jspchief
01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
and your going to selectively believe this media report because???Post a few media reports that dispute it. Then I'll wade through it all and make up my mind.

Or, to answer your question: Because Ty law has been a dickhead for years, and an article that supports that seems very believable.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 01:06 PM

ABOVE THE LAW: One of the most compelling figures in the Jets' season was cornerback Ty Law, the ballyhooed free-agent signing who intercepted a career-high 10 passes and made the Pro Bowl. But his sterling performance on the field was only one side of the story.

According to multiple sources, Law rarely practiced on Wednesdays, played overweight, argued with the strength-and-conditioning staff and hurt team chemistry with his attitude. His seat in the defensive meeting room was changed because the coaches didn't want him sitting next to promising rookie cornerback Justin Miller, said one source, claiming Law was a poor influence.

Law also wasn't required to attend Monday meetings, as per an agreement with Herm Edwards. Center Pete Kendall also had the same arrangement.

Edwards claimed Law wasn't a negative influence, adding that Law took a more active leadership role as the season progressed. But a person with knowledge of the situation said Law was "impossible" to handle. One player rolled his eyes when asked about Law's impact.

Asked if he provided leadership to the young players, Law said, "I gave what I am. I gave Ty Law."

Law, who knows he won't be back next season, left the locker room yesterday with a signed jersey from Curtis Martin and locker name plates that were autographed by various teammates. To retain Law, the Jets would have to pay an $11 million option bonus by March - and that's not happening. Law is eager to hit the free-agent market.

"I want to be an All-Pro again," said Law, who made $6 million for one season. "I'm trying to go back to the Super Bowl, I'm trying to get Defensive Player of the Year, I have so many goals in mind."

Law didn't rule out the possibility of returning to the Patriots. Don't hold your breath, Ty.

What does it say about Herm's supposed tight ship?

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
and your going to selectively believe this media report because???

I never said I believe it.

I said I don't want to find out if it's true.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 01:07 PM
What does it say about Herm's supposed tight ship?

Sounds like he plays favorites. Sounds just like Vermeil.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 01:09 PM
I never said I believe it.

I said I don't want to find out if it's true.

ah... fair enough

Law did look heavier to me this year.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Sounds like he plays favorites. Sounds just like Vermeil.

Are you on the Edwards bandwagon? Just wondering...

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Are you on the Edwards bandwagon? Just wondering...

I honestly don't care at this point. I'm glad Vermeil is gone, everything after that is just gravy.

Frosty
01-03-2006, 01:40 PM
The only thing I would be willing to give up for Edwards it to trade first round picks with the Jets.

;)

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Wow.

After reading that, I don't want Herman Edwards OR Ty Law anywhere near KC.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 02:49 PM
law led the league in INTs this year. :D

jspchief
01-03-2006, 02:51 PM
law led the league in INTs this year. :DAnd Terrell Owens is a great receiver.

Kerberos
01-03-2006, 03:57 PM
VAGINALREFUSE.

WTF happend to the kinder gentler LAZ that we were all getting used to?

Please tell us how you REALLY feel!

:D

DTLB58
01-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Clayton just said on SC that he thinks it is gonna be Saunders in KC.

Just FYI, Don't shoot the messenger. :p

CoMoChief
01-03-2006, 04:46 PM
HC - Saunders
OC - Solari/Joyner?!?!
OLC - Tice
DC - Gun

GET RID OF OUR ****ING LB COACH AND DB COACH PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Mr. Laz
01-03-2006, 04:48 PM
WTF happend to the kinder gentler LAZ that we were all getting used to?

Please tell us how you REALLY feel!

:D

ha ha ... nice one :)

chiefs4me
01-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I'd rather have Chiefs4me than trade away the 20th pick in the draft.

ROFL PBJ

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Clayton just said on SC that he thinks it is gonna be Saunders in KC.

Just FYI, Don't shoot the messenger. :p

Should be interesting considering what Shefter has been reporting on the NFL Network.

I'm anxious to see which one of these guys proves to be right.

I think my money is on Clayton at this point.