PDA

View Full Version : Butch Davis? Check his biography first....

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Butch Davis

Biography:
2002 - Cleveland:
When the Browns dismissed Chris Palmer after the team's awful 2000 season, Carmen Policy and Al Lerner looked desperately for a man to lead the Browns to success. While they talked to many potential coaches, they always had their eyes on Paul "Butch" Davis, who was then the head coach of the soon-to-be-champion Miami Hurricanes.
Davis had a record of success wherever he had landed. Following a college career at defensive end at Arkansas, and a brief career coaching high school teams, Davis started a 15-year association with Jimmy Johnson as an receivers and tight ends coach at Oklahoma State. Davis continued to work for Johnson at the University of Miami(where he coached the defense of the 1987 national championship team) and six seasons at Dallas (where he coached the defensive line and served as defensive coordinator for the Cowboys Super Bowl teams). At Dallas, Davis helped Johnson and new owner Jerry Jones construct a Super Bowl champion out of a team that went 1-15 in Johnson's first year. Davis also served as coach under Barry Switzer after Johnson left.

Davis got his first opportunity to serve as a head coach at the University of Miami, where again he helped lead a stunning turnaround. When he arrived, the Hurricanes program was in disarray, with 31 scholarship spots eliminated due to NCAA sanctions. Despite this, Davis managed to turn the program around, posting a 51-20 record during his tenure. By his last year, Davis had the Hurricanes contending for a national championship as they finished 11-1 and #2 in the country. The team Davis left behind soared to the national championship the succeeding year.

Clearly, Davis has the resume which says that he will be a success in the NFL. In his first year, he took the Browns (who were 5-27 during their first two seasons) to a 7-9 record. Davis was credited with helping to turn the team around, and get them poised for future success. Now Davis will face even greater challenges, as he attempts to navigate the Browns to the playoffs in full view of a demanding front office and fan base.

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't like the fact that the team quit on him because he supposedly alienated everyone with his lack of honesty.

Maybe his GM duties contributed to that. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes and is a changed man.

But a rep like that makes me very leery.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't like the fact that the team quit on him because he supposedly alienated everyone with his lack of honesty.

Maybe his GM duties contributed to that. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes and is a changed man.

I agree, but I've been reading up on the guy....and other than the last year in Cleveland, the guy was Golden. :hmmm:

Deberg_1990
01-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Well, he did get the Browns to the playoffs once with Kelly Holcomb as his QB

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 11:58 AM

I think there is a problem with a combined GM - HC. You can't do the good cop - bad cop routine.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Like I said yesterday, we don't have to worry about Butch getting a Napoleon complex here. Carl already has that job.

Cochise
01-03-2006, 12:05 PM
If you think about it, the Browns team he took over was horrid. There was no talent there at all. He was trying to win games with Tim Couch at QB and James Jackson (who? 2.8 YPC) at RB.

Granted the bBrowns aren't good now, but most of the guys are worth a hoot on that team are there from Davis' tenure.

I'm not predicting unmitigated success for Davis in the NFL, but if you look at his whole career, it might be a bit unfair to judge him by the only failure in the bunch, in what was just about the most challenging situation a coach could come into.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Like I said yesterday, we don't have to worry about Butch getting a Napoleon complex here. Carl already has that job.

the Talking Can
01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Kevin Harlan was on the radio and asked about Davis...he about choked and said he heard stories about his time in Cleveland and that it was total madness, he said he heard about Davis having a "mental breakdown"....no thanks....

Danush
01-03-2006, 01:09 PM
If you think about it, the Browns team he took over was horrid. There was no talent there at all. He was trying to win games with Tim Couch at QB and James Jackson (who? 2.8 YPC) at RB.

Granted the bBrowns aren't good now, but most of the guys are worth a hoot on that team are there from Davis' tenure.

I'm not predicting unmitigated success for Davis in the NFL, but if you look at his whole career, it might be a bit unfair to judge him by the only failure in the bunch, in what was just about the most challenging situation a coach could come into.

Maybe I'm tryin' to get myself use to the idea, but I think Davis did a decent job as a first time HC--given the hand he was dealt. Many coaches who struggled the first go-round, have improved given another chance. It does make me wonder why no one else really seems to be knocking at his door though.

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Kevin Harlan was on the radio and asked about Davis...he about choked and said he heard stories about his time in Cleveland and that it was total madness, he said he heard about Davis having a "mental breakdown"....no thanks....

It's not just the Napolean complex. Browns players thought he was in over his head as a HC, but that he'd probably make a good DC.

sedated
01-03-2006, 01:14 PM
He took over a bad Browns organization.

Are they much better off now?

There's a lot to be said for the HC/GM thing. No one has succeeded doing that.

Holmgren looks a lot better after giving up that responsibility.

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Here's what some Browns fans are saying about Butch:

http://mb19.scout.com/fbrownsinsiderfrm15.showMessage?topicID=51705.topic

sedated
01-03-2006, 01:34 PM
"The main complaint from the players was that he didn't treat them like adults. "

Just the thing we need for this veteran team.

Seems like a common theme from these college guys.

Danush
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
"The main complaint from the players was that he didn't treat them like adults. "

Just the thing we need for this veteran team.

Seems like a common theme from these college guys.

True...but, "he didn't treat us like adults" can be code from the players for "Discipline is over-rated. He had rules we didn't like, and held us accountable. Jerk." And we could use more of that, based on this past year.

Woodrow Call
01-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I would not have a problem if Butch Davis became the next head coach. He was in charge of a great D in Dallas and he did a great job at Miami. Personally I think being the GM was his downfall in Cleveland.

At first I was not in favor of it but now I am intrigued.

CoMoChief
01-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Anyone who chose anything other than "NO" is simply retarded.

the Talking Can
01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Davis has nothing this team needs. Except a fat pie face. Like stoops.

Keep the head case away.

Mecca
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
We may have to accept a coach we don't like that much. Realization is going to have to start to set in here at some point. Al Saunders isn't likely to be hired, Gregg Williams off the board, Edwards draft pick cost looks to be to high.

Ok well after that who's left? I'm convinced some people won't be happy with no matter who we hire. I'd much rather hire Butch Davis than Herm Edwards if it means giving up our first round pick. I'd rather hire him than Stoops aswell.

When you start thinking about this realistically, there aren't a whole lot of guys out there.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Here's what some Browns fans are saying about Butch:

http://mb19.scout.com/fbrownsinsiderfrm15.showMessage?topicID=51705.topic

So the media in Cleveland said he was a "liar" and the media in Miami also said he was a "liar"?

I gotta think there's some fire with that smoke.

Danush
01-03-2006, 02:13 PM
So the media in Cleveland said he was a "liar" and the media in Miami also said he was a "liar"?

I gotta think there's some fire with that smoke.

Depends what he lied about, I guess. Hell, Dick has lied his ass off to us about a lot of little stuff.

Lzen
01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
We may have to accept a coach we don't like that much. Realization is going to have to start to set in here at some point. Al Saunders isn't likely to be hired, Gregg Williams off the board, Edwards draft pick cost looks to be to high.

Ok well after that who's left? I'm convinced some people won't be happy with no matter who we hire. I'd much rather hire Butch Davis than Herm Edwards if it means giving up our first round pick. I'd rather hire him than Stoops aswell.

When you start thinking about this realistically, there aren't a whole lot of guys out there.

Yep, no matter who we get, somebody is not gonna be happy. Whomever it is, it better not cost a 1st rounder, though. That would be insanity.

BigRedChief
01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
His resume prior to the Cleveland job.

Coach on two Super Bowl Teams

Coach on a collegiate nationl championship team

The Butch Davis File
WHO HE IS: Paul Hilton Davis, Jr., 49, became the tenth full-time head coach in Cleveland Browns history on January 29, 2001. His 28-year coaching resume includes six years as an NFL assistant and 16 years coaching major college football. A University of Arkansas graduate, Davis and his wife, Tammy, have one son, Andrew.

WHERE HE'S BEEN: Davis spent the last six seasons revitalizing the University of Miami (Fla.) football program. Prior to leading the Hurricanes back to national prominence, he was a Dallas Cowboys assistant for six years, including two as the defensive coordinator. Davis also assisted Jimmy Johnson at Oklahoma State University and the University of Miami.

WHAT HE'S DONE: Plenty. His 2000 Miami team finished 11-1, was ranked second in the country and beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Davis was 51-20 in six years at Miami and was 4-0 in bowl games. He earned two Super Bowl rings with the Cowboys (1993 and '94) and was part of a major rebuilding project-the Cowboys went 1-15 when he, Johnson and Dave Wannstedt arrived in 1988. Davis also won a national championship in 1987 as the defensive line coach at Miami.

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Depends what he lied about, I guess. Hell, Dick has lied his ass off to us about a lot of little stuff.

It's not what he lied about, it's WHO he lied TO, IMO.

Carl and Dick lie to us all the time. But we're just fans.

Apparently, Butch was lying to his players and staff. That's bad.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 03:39 PM

Sad, but probably true. If true, his name needs crossed off the list then.

BigRedChief
01-03-2006, 03:42 PM

Is this rumor or fact?

He actually lied to the staff and players at Miami and Cleveland?

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 03:45 PM
We may have to accept a coach we don't like that much.

Might as well, we're already forced to accept a GM we don't like much.

mikey23545
01-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know anymore about this alleged "lying" than vague rumors?...Any specifics?

htismaqe
01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Is this rumor or fact?

He actually lied to the staff and players at Miami and Cleveland?

Just rumor.

But concerning nonetheless, since the rumor came from 2 independent sources -- people in Cleveland and people in Miami.

Sully
01-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Actually , what I've read on here the past couple of days, I feel lik enow if they hire Davis, I won't kill myself, but simply be ill for 5-7 months... so it's getting better.

Rausch
01-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I think Butch Davis is about the only HC we could hire that would give me absolutely no hope for upcomming season...