PDA

View Full Version : List the ORDER of your HC preference

Frankie
01-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Try to include ALL names that are being mentioned. Even if you don't like a candidate put him in your list towards the bottom. Do not include Gregg Williams or Pete Carroll, as they are out of the picture now. Stating your reasons is optional. I'll start:

1- Al Saunders (I've already made that clear)
2- Cam Cameron (Young and from the Coryel school)
3- Ron Rivera (All your hoopla about him has peaked my interest)
4- Butch Davis (I was against it at first, but warming up to it a bit now)
5- Herman Edwards (I think he is a class act and an OK coach. Not worth losing draft choices over)
6- Jeff Fisher
7- Steve Mariucci
8- Gary Kubiak (Intriguing, but if he's so great why hasn't he been picked by someone years ago?)
9- Kirk Ferentz (I like his NFL background, but not as impressed as some of you with his job at Iowa)
10- Ray Childress
11- Jim Fassel (Never really impressed by him)
12- Bob Stoops (Fish out of water in the NFL, I'm afraid)
13- Mike Martz (Maybe a good option as Saunders' OC, but not as HC)
14- Jim Hasslet (As an assistant on the staff, maybe. But not HC)

(I reserve the right to inject other names that I may have missed into the list. You have the same right.)

Douche Baggins
01-03-2006, 05:13 PM
1. Steve Mariucci
2. A bunch of guys
3. Herman Edwards

Woodrow Call
01-03-2006, 05:27 PM
1. Kirk Ferentz- I am not an Iowa fan but I like what he has done there and I like his coaching pedigre.

2. Jeff Fisher- Wont ever happen

3. Herm Edwards- I like him alot. He might be the perfect blend of DV, Marty and Dungy.

4. Jim Haslett- Good defensive mind, I think he would be a good fit with a disiplined veteran team like KC.

5. Ron Rivera- The results as DC for the Bears speak for itself.

6. Butch Davis- A winner everywhere he has been outside of Cleveland where being the coach/gm sunk him IMO.

7. Al Saunders- He has built an amazing offense but I really want a total frest start.

8. Bob Stoops- He is an interesting option. Lack of NFL experience concerns me.

9. Cam Cameron- Good job at SD and has a history with Trent IIRC

10. Gary Kubiak- Been involved with some great running and playaction teams in Denver but I worry about him without Shanahan.

11. Ray Childress- I am ignorant as to why he is such a hot prospect.

12. Jim Fassel- No thanks

13. Mike Martz- Please god no.

4th and Long
01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
1. Me - That job would sooooooo kick ass. I would also personally screen all the cheerleaders, fire the ugly ones and can the official photographer they are using now. Oh! And you should see the new outfits I'd have them wearing. Grrrrrrrrooow!!!

2. GoChiefs - Kid knows his football. Since a good deal of us already rake him over the coals, he would be used to criticism. I'm not sure how the wide receiver would feel about having a neg rep button installed on their uniform however.

3. Gaz - The obvious dark horse candidate.

SNR
01-03-2006, 06:39 PM
1 Vince Lombardi
2 Bill Walsh
3 Bear Bryant
4 Don Shula

Douche Baggins
01-03-2006, 06:45 PM
2. GoChiefs - Kid knows his football. Since a good deal of us already rake him over the coals, he would be used to criticism. I'm not sure how the wide receiver would feel about having a neg rep button installed on their uniform however.

I'd rather be offensive coordinator.

htismaqe can be the head coach while B_Ambuehl takes over GM responsibilites from Carl.

Douche Baggins
01-03-2006, 06:46 PM
BTW, Chiefsplanet will get my exclusive press conferences. The rest of the media can bite me.

44Grimmace
edwards
fischer
ferentz

Saulbadguy
Dan McCarney

TrickyNicky
01-03-2006, 06:49 PM
1. Herm Edwards - I've always liked the guy. His team really fell apart this year but this is practically the same team that have gone to the playoffs 3 times.

2. Al Saunders - Obvious choice, but I don't think he would get the coaching turnover on the D side of the ball that we need.

3. Jeff Fisher - Experienced, smart coach whose team has been royally fuct by the Salary cap year in and year out.

4th and Long
01-03-2006, 06:51 PM

htismaqe can be the head coach while B_Ambuehl takes over GM responsibilites from Carl.
OK, if I get the job, you're my new O.C.

BigRedChief
01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
There are 8 Head Coach openings in the NFL. A 10-6 team that has a rabid fan base and the player cover is not bare is the best job of the bunch. We should get the best coach available.

jAZ
01-03-2006, 07:17 PM
1- Jeff Fisher (even giving a #1 pick)
2- Bob Stoops
3 - Herman Edwards (even giving a #3 pick)
4- Al Saunders
5- Jim Hasslet
6- Kirk Ferentz
7- Butch Davis
8- Ron Rivera
9- Ray Childress

No thanks...
-Cam Cameron
-Steve Mariucci
-Gary Kubiak

Hell No!
-Jim Fassel
-Mike Martz (I'd take him as an OC though)

Taco John
01-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Steve Mariucci is a young Dick Vermiel.

Herzig
01-03-2006, 07:27 PM
BTW, Chiefsplanet will get my exclusive press conferences. The rest of the media can bite me.

Don't we already get that? :hmmm: ROFL

jjchieffan
01-03-2006, 07:49 PM
1. AS keep as much of the offense intact as possible
2. Mike Sherman Excellent track record in GB, was GM too, possible replacement for CeePee when the time comes
3. Jeff Fischer Excellent coach
4. Herm Edwards Not worth losing draft picks though
5. Steve Mariucci Took over similar situation in SF, and won a SB, Detroit was Millens fault
6. Stoops If they go college coach, probably best candidate.. Maybe another Jimmy Johnson?
7. Cam Cameron We know it isn't Marty making that offense click in SD
8. Butch Davis He might do better with a real team rather than an expansion team
9. Fassel not sure if his success in NY was anything more than due to a weak schedule
10. everybody else is pretty much equal as far as I am concerned

ChiefsCountry
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM

I will hire all you guys when I take over the ownership from the Hunts. :)

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 07:56 PM
1. Al Saunders
2. Art Shell
3. Jeff Fisher
4. Herm Edwards (if we don't have to give up any choices)
5. Gary Kubiak
6. Steve Mariucci
7. One of the college coaches you all seem to love - Ferentz or Stoops
8. All those guys I know nothing about - Cam Cameron, Ron Rivera, Ray Childress, etc.
9. Butch Davis
10. Jim Fassel
11. Mike Martz
12. Mike Sherman
13. Jim Haslett
14. Herman Edwards (if we have to give up any draft choices at all)

Chiefnj
01-03-2006, 07:56 PM
1. Saunders.
2. Fisher.
3. A DC like Rivera, Trgovac or Smith.

chrisdel
01-03-2006, 08:03 PM
1. Al Saunders
2. Art Shell
3. Jeff Fisher
4. Herm Edwards (if we don't have to give up any choices)
5. Gary Kubiak
6. Steve Mariucci
7. One of the college coaches you all seem to love - Ferentz or Stoops
8. All those guys I know nothing about - Cam Cameron, Ron Rivera, Ray Childress, etc.
9. Butch Davis
10. Jim Fassel
11. Mike Martz
12. Mike Sherman
13. Jim Haslett
14. Herman Edwards (if we have to give up any draft choices at all)

Art Shell - no one has given him another chance and I always wonder why. Not sure if I want him as my head coach, but I think he should be somewhere...

1. Jeff Fischer (I'd take him even with high draft picks, but not first round)

2. Herman Edwards (as long as we don't give up anything higher than a three)

3. Al Saunders (Part of me wants to keep him around, part of me wants change)

Stinger
01-03-2006, 08:04 PM
1. Fisher
2. Edwards
3. Saunders

If we are giving up picks I would do it for Fisher and really no one else.

KChiefs1
01-03-2006, 08:13 PM
NFL Head Coaching Experience: 5 yrs
NFL Asst Coach Experience: 11yrs
NCAA Asst Coach Experience: 3yrs
NFL Player: 11 yrs

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Art Shell - no one has given him another chance and I always wonder why. Not sure if I want him as my head coach, but I think he should be somewhere...

Shell has been successful everywhere he's gone. As the head coach of the Raiders, his record was 47-33, and he had a winning record four of the five years. The other year, he went 7-9. (I'm not counting a partial season when he took over for Shanahan since I don't know exactly when he took over.) He took his first-year team to the AFC championship when Shanahan couldn't get them above .500.

The coach before him, Shanahan, had a sub-.500 record, and the coach after him, Mike White, also had a sub-.500 record. (Both were roughly 15-17, though again I'm not sure when Shanahan left in his partial season.)

Then, after he left, he came to Kansas City as our line coach and we had one of the top running attacks in the league for years, without even having a premier running back.

I honestly have no idea why Shell isn't an NFL head coach. I think he'd be a great choice.

Douche Baggins
01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Looks like Art had pretty decent defenses in LA, too.

He's not retired, is he?

chrisdel
01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Shell has been successful everywhere he's gone. As the head coach of the Raiders, his record was 47-33, and he had a winning record four of the five years. The other year, he went 7-9. (I'm not counting a partial season when he took over for Shanahan since I don't know exactly when he took over.) He took his first-year team to the AFC championship when Shanahan couldn't get them above .500.

The coach before him, Shanahan, had a sub-.500 record, and the coach after him, Mike White, also had a sub-.500 record. (Both were roughly 15-17, though again I'm not sure when Shanahan left in his partial season.)

Then, after he left, he came to Kansas City as our line coach and we had one of the top running attacks in the league for years, without even having a premier running back.

I honestly have no idea why Shell isn't an NFL head coach. I think he'd be a great choice.

The only thing that would bother me about Shell is the same excuse some are giving about Gary Kubiak - why has he not gotten a job yet. There must be some a reason, at least from the thinking of the general managers. Of course, with GMs out there like Matt Millen, that's your partial answer as to why Shell hasn't gotten an HC job. I'm not ever sure where he's at now, though...

NJ Chief Fan
01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
1. jeff fisher(i hope those rumors come to reality)
2. al saunders(after thinking about it this may not be such a bad idea)
3. herm edwardsl
4. jim fassel

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 08:31 PM

He's not retired, is he?

He wrote this in January of 2004.

(By the way, he must've taken over for Shanahan in Game 1 based on the record shown.)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7003475

Don't believe the hype

By Art Shell
Special to NFL.com

(Note: Art Shell was 56-41 as the Raiders head coach from 1989-94. As he explains below, rumors of his return to Oakland have been greatly exaggerated.)

(Jan. 13, 2004) -- Whenever there are coaching vacancies in the NFL, there are bound to be crazy rumors flying around. Probably the craziest rumor I ever heard was last week, when somebody told me that Joe Gibbs was going back to the Redskins. Ridiculous!

I never expected that one, which just goes to show you that anything can happen. However, sometimes a rumor is just a rumor.

Last week, for instance, someone called to tell me that my name had been thrown out in the Bay Area about becoming the head coach of the Oakland Raiders. Then I picked up USA Today and it said I was interviewing assistants to fill out my staff.

This was a total shock to me, because I have not talked with anybody about a head-coaching position. You wonder how these things get started. How can someone print in the paper or say on TV that I'm getting a staff together? Why would I be getting a staff together if I hadn't been contacted by anybody?

But I guess it's just the nature of this business. There are a lot of rumors floating around out there and you don't know who's doing what. You don't know who is interviewing who, who's been offered jobs. The media is trying to gather information. They'll throw stuff on the wall and see what bounces. And if it bounces the right way, people will grab it and run with it.

Art Shell back in black? He doesn't think so.
I will say this: My ears are always open when it comes to a head-coaching position. That's something that you have to listen to. If someone were to call me, then I would definitely listen. There are only 32 head-coaching positions in this league, and you need to take a listen if people are inquiring.

But that has not happened. I have not been contacted by anybody at this time.

I remember when John Madden retired from the Raiders after the 1978 season. There were plenty of rumors about who would get the job. I think Ray Perkins was on the list, along with a couple of other coaches who interviewed for the job. There were rumors of others who never were interviewed. But there was nothing to those rumors. Most of the players at that time felt that Tom Flores would get the job, and we were right.

The Raiders have been through four head coaches since I last coached there in 1994. It seems that every time the job opens up, my name gets thrown out there. That was the case before Bill Callahan was hired and that appears to be the case again now. But there's nothing to it.

A couple of years ago, my name was brought up for the job at the University of South Carolina before Lou Holtz took the job. And since I'm from South Carolina, I guess that was wishful thinking on the part of someone at the school. But there was no substance to that rumor whatsoever. My name came up at Michigan State a few years ago as well.

How do these things get started? I honestly don't know. With the Raiders, I can understand if maybe someone thought I was giving the Raiders some advice or suggestions in their coaching search, and people were reading too much into that. But that hasn't been the case, either. I can honestly say that I have not had any contact with anybody at the Raiders organization.

Of course, it's nice to be considered and it's flattering that people think of me. But I'm having fun working here at the league office. I've been out of coaching now for a few years and I'm happy where I am.

But again, if someone calls, I'd have to listen.

Check out other Art Shell writings at http://www.nfl.com/writers/shell

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to have Art Shell as our head coach.

Douche Baggins
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Big fat black guys tend to make pretty good head coaches:

Romeo Crennel
Dennis Green
Marvin Lewis (he's getting fatter with each passing year)
Lovie Smith

chiefsfan1963
01-03-2006, 08:45 PM
it's interesting how most have Herm in their top 3, 4, or 5 list.

Stinger
01-03-2006, 08:53 PM
it's interesting how most have Herm in their top 3, 4, or 5 list.

I am one of the few who like the man as a coach. In fact IMO I believe he deserves some accolades for coach of the year. To have the team he had an still get them play competetive football in which they were in many games, plus the fact they won a few is astounding to me.

CosmicPal
01-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Big fat black guys tend to make pretty good head coaches:

Romeo Crennel
Dennis Green
Marvin Lewis (he's getting fatter with each passing year)
Lovie Smith

Maybe you should hire Whitlock then

Dunit35
01-03-2006, 10:14 PM
1. Al Saunders
2.Al Saunders
3.Al Saunders
4.Al Saunders
5.Al Saunders
6.Al Saunders
7.Al Saunders
8.Al Saunders
9.Al Saunders
10. Al Saunders
11. Jason Giambi

DenverChief
01-03-2006, 11:35 PM
If we are gonna pay for a coach (Herm Edwards) I say we pay for Cowher...the Chiefs D was outstanding under him and I like his fire

philfree
01-03-2006, 11:37 PM
I don't have an order but I will say that any candidate that doesn't know or wants to change from our style of O is out. IMO the OC we hire is gonna be as imprortant as the HC.

PhilFree:arrow:

Halfcan
01-03-2006, 11:38 PM
1 Vince Lombardi
2 Bill Walsh
3 Bear Bryant
4 Don Shula

Great list Walsh is still available.

DenverChief
01-03-2006, 11:50 PM
If we are gonna pay for a coach (Herm Edwards) I say we pay for Cowher...the Chiefs D was outstanding under him and I like his fire

I agree

DenverChief
01-04-2006, 12:11 AM
I agree

Me too you are so SMART!

Ultra Peanut
01-04-2006, 12:25 AM
1. Ron Rivera
2. Tim Lewis
3. Ferentz
4. Mooch
5. Jim Schwartz

Art Shell is a really interesting suggestion, too.

DenverChief
01-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Art Shell is a really interesting suggestion, too.

Tribal Warfare
01-04-2006, 12:40 AM
1) Rivera

2) Fisher

3) Lewis

4)Edwards

T-post Tom
01-04-2006, 12:51 AM
1. Paz Vega
2. Penelope Cruz
3. Selma Hayek

....huh? HC stands for head coach not head concubine? Sorry...wrong thread.

Saggysack
01-04-2006, 12:54 AM
1. Ron Rivera

That's it. My list goes no further.

KC Jones
01-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Why do these lists never include Jim Johnson, the very creative and excellent DC for the Eagles?

Is he too old or just not HC material?

phxchief
01-04-2006, 08:41 AM
1. Gregg Williams
2. Jeff Fisher
3. Monte Kiffen

Ultra Peanut
01-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Why do these lists never include Jim Johnson, the very creative and excellent DC for the Eagles?

Is he too old or just not HC material?Holy crap, he's only 64?

He looks twice that...

MOhillbilly
01-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Buddy Ryan
Jerry Gray
Jeff Fisher
Gregg Blache
Mike Singletary

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Holy crap, he's only 64?

He looks twice that...

You may not be aware of this, but he's actually a high-achieving Shar Pei.

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 09:11 AM

What do you have against Art Shell?

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2006, 09:13 AM
1. Saunders
2. Fisher, if he becomes available
3. Edwards
4. Ferentz
5. Singleterry
6. Davis

MOhillbilly
01-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Bottom line as a fan of the Chiefs i want a guy who can come in and be on that cutting edge of Pro Football.
If it takes a fresh slate so be it.
id like the next HC to be a hard ass who wont let CP tell him how to run his team or his coaching staff( i think this is the key) and has to be able to 'coach up' every player on the roster. And if a player doesnt preform,star or not the HC will sit him or cut him.
Same goes for the DC & OC. Not playing up to your potential,think you can take a play off or freelance. see ya.

Im not sure Herm is up to this style and like many opinions ive read dont want to give up draft picks.:p Esp. when id rather KC trade the whole draft to get Carson Palmer:p

jmo.

e_train69
01-04-2006, 09:45 AM
1. Jeff Fisher (as long as no compensation is needed) Always liked him.
2. Al Saunders - Give him a year or two and keep Gun too. Let them try to finish what DV started. Familiarity is key, and I believe this team could still make a run in the next year or two. After that if they don't get it done, start the rebuilding. New coaches (preferably a young energetic coach) and we know we'll have a lot of players leaving or retiring by that time.
3. Herm Edwards (as long as there is no compensation) I believe he is a good coach and would match up well with the current position we are in.
4. No to Stoops - Not because I don't think he could get it done, I just don't want him to leave OU.

Chief Faithful
01-04-2006, 09:45 AM
1. Al Saunders - He deserves the opportunity and I'd like to see Solari take his place as OC. He has the experience at HC and the team would stay and play for Al. To me Saunders is hands down the right guy. Talk Art Shell into coming back as OL coach.

2. Herm Edwards - What a pipe dream. :bong: No brainer if he was available, but don't give up draft picks. His biggest negative is his past picks of Hackett and Raye for OC, which seriously makes me question his ability as a HC. As long as we are dreaming why not go for Marvin Lewis, who I feel would be the perfect fit in KC.

3. Butch Davis - This guy is a high risk high reward gamble. Is he the next Bill Bilichick or Norv Turner / Dave Wannstadt? In my mind he is a realistic second choice if Saunders does not get the job.

4. Jeff Fischer - Remember this guy was given 4 or 5 years before his team became a winner. Could he bring toughness to the defense while not disrupting the offense? Fischer is not worth the loss of Al Saunders though. Probably the lowest risk choice if Saunders doesn't get the job.

5. Steve Mariucci - He is like an offensive minded Jeff Fischer. Not sure I like this guy because he would change the offense and not give enough attention to defense. Almost the exact opposite of what is needed in KC.

Hoover
01-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm only going to list the ones that I think might happen.

#1. Al Saunders
There is a big gap between #1 and #2
#2. Herm Edwards
There is a big gap after Herm
#3. Cam Cameron
#4. Bob Stoops
#5. Butch Davis

Cormac
01-04-2006, 09:47 AM
1. Rivera - retaining current O system. The next Marvin Lewis?
2. Tim Lewis - retaining current O system
3. Mariucci - won't even get a look, and generally I don't want to change O system, but he's a stellar coach, IMO. Might be too nice to his players though, and it could be time for a change after DV.
4. Saunders - would be interesting to see if he'd keep Gun, given the choice. I'd love to know what his plans would be. They might surprise some people.
5. Edwards - a decent coach, a good guy, but some real question marks i.e. why did he hire Hackett/Raye? Is he a Martyocre coach?
6. Ferentz - has a good resume for NFL coaching, but no way CP hires out of college, IMO.
7. Cam Cameron - why not Saunders?
8. Brad Childress - know little about him.

Just say no to Fassel, Butch Davis :Lin:, Kubiak, Haslett, Martz, MARTZ!?!?! Jeezus.

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Bottom line as a fan of the Chiefs

1. i want a guy who can come in and be on that cutting edge of Pro Football. If it takes a fresh slate so be it.

2. id like the next HC to be a hard ass who wont let CP tell him how to run his team or his coaching staff( i think this is the key) and has to be able to 'coach up' every player on the roster. And if a player doesnt preform,star or not the HC will sit him or cut him...

In a perfect world, I think many of us would like that.

The problem is requirement one is often incompatible with requirement two. Two often comes only with experience.

John Gruden-like coaches are few and far between. You may have one or two on your list....I have no doubt. Unfortunately, when a team looks to a young or fresh coach, more of them flame out---than work out, as teams envision.

MOhillbilly
01-04-2006, 10:25 AM
In a perfect world, I think many of us would like that.

The problem is requirement one is often incompatible with requirement two. Two often comes only with experience.

John Gruden-like coaches are few and far between. You may have one or two on your list....I have no doubt. Unfortunately, when a team looks to a young or fresh coach, more of them flame out---than work out, as teams envision.

In that case id go w/ Fisher. Just because his team is in cap hell doesnt mean he cannot get it done as a HC in KC.
And it would break KC away from that feel good/touchy feely coach that KC fans have endured.

Still brings an attack style D and a mindset that will use LJ to his fullest ability.
And wouldnt be afraid to buttheads on personel and staff w/ Mr. Peterson, where im afraid Herms loyalties could hamper his decisions.

Enough of the loyality BS and the fact that Mr. Peterson keeps going after coaches that make him comfortable makes me uncomfortable as a fan.
Why is it that?

Hoover
01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Look people if we don't Land Saunders as HC, we there is no way we Keep the Offense as is, it just will not happen. So all of this "Oh I like Tim Lewis, and we keep the same O" is stupid.

MOhillbilly
01-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Look people if we don't Land Saunders as HC, we there is no way we Keep the Offense as is, it just will not happen. So all of this "Oh I like Tim Lewis, and we keep the same O" is stupid.

But why wont Saunders commit?? Why wont carl pull the trigger on Saunders?

ct
01-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Al Saunders
Ron Rivera
Kirk Ferentz
Herm Edwards

Not listing Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher, who are not available.

MOhillbilly
01-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Al Saunders
Ron Rivera
Kirk Ferentz
Herm Edwards

Not listing Jeff Fisher or Bill Cowher, who are not available.

i was unaware that Herm Edwards had become available.

Hoover
01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Its all Carl

Brock
01-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Saunders would be pretty silly not to "explore his options" (read: jack his price up).

Mecca
01-04-2006, 11:02 AM
1. Rivera - retaining current O system. The next Marvin Lewis?
2. Tim Lewis - retaining current O system
3. Mariucci - won't even get a look, and generally I don't want to change O system, but he's a stellar coach, IMO. Might be too nice to his players though, and it could be time for a change after DV.
4. Saunders - would be interesting to see if he'd keep Gun, given the choice. I'd love to know what his plans would be. They might surprise some people.
5. Edwards - a decent coach, a good guy, but some real question marks i.e. why did he hire Hackett/Raye? Is he a Martyocre coach?
6. Ferentz - has a good resume for NFL coaching, but no way CP hires out of college, IMO.
7. Cam Cameron - why not Saunders?
8. Brad Childress - know little about him.

Just say no to Fassel, Butch Davis :Lin:, Kubiak, Haslett, Martz, MARTZ!?!?! Jeezus.

No offense to your personal views, but if we hire Tim Lewis or Steve Mariucci, I'll be royally pissed off.

Brock
01-04-2006, 11:03 AM
No offense to your personal views, but if we hire Tim Lewis or Steve Mariucci, I'll be royally pissed off.

Well, somebody is going to be pissed off, that's a given.

Mecca
01-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, somebody is going to be pissed off, that's a given.

I'm pretty open about most of this, but Tim Lewis or really any offensive minded head coach would be a really stupid hire in my view. If you want an offensive minded coach just promote Saunders. I don't like the Tim Lewis idea either, every former Pitt DC that's got a head coaching job has tanked royally at it. Dom Capers, Jim Haslett, Dick Lebeau, I'll pass on Tim Lewis, I don't consider him a great defensive mind that's for sure.

ct
01-04-2006, 11:11 AM
i was unaware that Herm Edwards had become available.

True, but since we're talking to the Jets, he is somewhat available. Now if we started talking to Pitsburgh or Tennessee, then they might become 'available' as well. I would guess each of those FO's would deny access, however. It appears the Jets have allowed discussion(rumored anyway).

ChiefsFan4Life
01-04-2006, 11:13 AM
1. Jeff Fisher
Everyone else

chiefqueen
01-04-2006, 11:17 AM

He's not retired, is he?

There's rumblings the Raiders are hiring him back as HC.

Frankie
01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
1. Al Saunders - He deserves the opportunity and I'd like to see Solari take his place as OC. He has the experience at HC and the team would stay and play for Al. To me Saunders is hands down the right guy. Talk Art Shell into coming back as OL coach.Art Shell is now too big to take anything less than a HC job. If Solari moves up to OC maybe Irv Eatman is ready to be the OL coach. Or better yet..... Will Shields.

Frankie
01-04-2006, 12:01 PM
No knock against Solari. He's a damn good 'O' coach. But would it be best of both worlds if we hired Saunders as HC and Cam Cameron as his OC/assistant HC? The guy is only 44. If Saunders, 59, maintains a successful program, Cameron could move up to HC about when he is 50.

Cormac
01-04-2006, 12:08 PM

I don't know about that. There are several candidates who could continue the Saunders offense if Al left....Solari, Shea, Rowen (if we got him back) etc. Not saying they could all do a equal job, but it's fair to assume we could keep the same system even if Al left. I do agree, though, that if the only way to keep our O scheme intact is to promote Saunders, I'm OK with that (in theory).

Sure-Oz
01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
george siefert
wayne fondts
june jones
tony pena

Sure-Oz
01-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't know about that. There are several candidates who could continue the Saunders offense if Al left....Solari, Shea, Rowen (if we got him back) etc. Not saying they could all do a equal job, but it's fair to assume we could keep the same system even if Al left. I do agree, though, that if the only way to keep our O scheme intact is to promote Saunders, I'm OK with that (in theory).
I think Solari could handle the OC pos. if need be.

Chief Faithful
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Art Shell is now too big to take anything less than a HC job. If Solari moves up to OC maybe Irv Eatman is ready to be the OL coach. Or better yet..... Will Shields.

I like that idea. Irv Eatman would be good. If Will Shields retires I hope he stays with the organization in some capacity. I would rather they stayed with the proven coach in this case.

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
There's rumblings the Raiders are hiring him back as HC.

All the more reason for us to hire him. I seriously would be quite pleased to have Art Shell as our head coach.

kpic
01-04-2006, 01:11 PM
All the more reason for us to hire him. I seriously would be quite pleased to have Art Shell as our head coach.

Amazing that you brought this up Rain Man. I thought Art would be a good choice before we got Dickie. I was not quite sure of his record at the time but I knew he did a good job at the Raiders even with Davis looking down on him. With all of the openings that go on through the years I have been shocked that he never got another shot and yet a Norv Turner gets multiple tries!!??

I'm only a fan and I guess (hope) the GMs of the league know more than I do but from the outside looking in it doesn't make much sense.

Rausch
01-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Rausch's order of preference:

1- Dom Capers
2- Herman Edwards (I think he is a class act and an OK coach.)
3- Al Saunders (Best of our offensive HC options)
4- Jeff Fisher
5- Talk J. Johnson out of retirement. Tell him he can be HC/GM if he's still here in 4 years.
6- Jim Hasslet (Underrated HC, NO's problems are not due to Hasslet)
7- Steve Mariucci (Doesn't impress me but doesn't scare me)
8- Ron Rivera (All your hoopla about him has peaked my interest)
9- Cam Cameron (Young and from the Coryel school)
10- Bob Stoops (Best of the NFL N00bs)
11- Kirk Ferentz (I know nothing about the man)
12- Butch Davis (Pass...)
13- Gary Kubiak (No thanks)
14- Ray Childress
15- Jim Fassel (Never really impressed by him)
16- Mike Martz (I'd sooner lay my testicles on a cactus and beat them with a boat oar.)
17- Pray to God Parcells wants out of Dallas...

Frankie
01-04-2006, 01:41 PM
DOM CAPERS?.... DOM CAPERS?.... Rausch dude what are you smoking today?

Inspector
01-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Figure out a way to reincarnate Hank Stram.

Otherwise, probably Saunders.

And I could live with Art Shell as HC

And for laughs, lets make Lynn Elliot special teams kicking coach..

OK, forget about the laughs part. Not a good idea after all.

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I don't see Art Shell on Rausch's list. Must be an oversight.

(I'm getting into full Art Shell obsession mode.)

MOhillbilly
01-04-2006, 01:44 PM
DOM CAPERS?.... DOM CAPERS?.... Rausch dude what are you smoking today?

maybe he wants acouple 2-14 seasons and some 1&1 picks?

kpic
01-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Rausch's order of preference:

1- Dom Capers

Thats the first time I have seen his name that high (or anywhere?) is there a reason you rank him so high? I know what he did in Carolina but this years Houston team (some might say) quite possibly quit on him.

Rausch
01-04-2006, 01:46 PM

I'd put him in my top 10, easy.

I still have no idea WTF he isn't considered for more jobs. He didn't do bad in Oakland.

Good point. :clap:

kpic
01-04-2006, 01:46 PM

Woohoo!! Art needs a good web master to get him some PR. I see: www.hireartshell.com

Rausch
01-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Thats the first time I have seen his name that high (or anywhere?) is there a reason you rank him so high? I know what he did in Carolina but this years Houston team (some might say) quite possibly quit on him.

Capers is a great defensive mind.

He builds line first, defense, then spends draft picks on a QB and RB of the future. He's also a great defensive mind.

He built that Panthers team that knocked the Defending Cowboys out of the playoffs, using an expansion draft and Pittsburgh's scraps.

In Texas he did the same thing, but injuries killed him. OL draft picks didn't pan out. And there were nowhere near the level of FA's available when he started the Texans. People forget he signed Tony Boselli, who had a career ending injury. That guy was a great T you can build a line around. He's also a great defensive mind.

And when Tim Biakabutuka went down with injury in Carolina he leaned on a Kerry Collins lead passing attack and a balls out defense. He's not afraid to air the ball out. He's also a great defensive mind.

kpic
01-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the details Rausch. I was just wondering why you had picked him. I knew what he did in Carolina and was a good coach but I'll admit I did not know what fell apart in Houston and I find it hard to believe that he all of a sudden forgot how to coach. Unfortunately it seems he may fall under the "you are only as good as your last job" title. Think anyone will take a chance on him now?

Rausch
01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the details Rausch. I was just wondering why you had picked him. I knew what he did in Carolina and was a good coach but I'll admit I did not know what fell apart in Houston and I find it hard to believe that he all of a sudden forgot how to coach. Unfortunately it seems he may fall under the "you are only as good as your last job" title. Think anyone will take a chance on him now?

Yup.

I don't know if we will, but someone will.

I think he could immediately "Dungy" the Chiefs...

Messier
01-05-2006, 12:58 PM
You know I'm hearing alot of negativity about Edwards right now but in this post most people have him pretty high on their lists (3rd or 4th). So I would think most should be ok with Edwards.

Frankie
01-05-2006, 01:40 PM
You know I'm hearing alot of negativity about Edwards right now but in this post most people have him pretty high on their lists (3rd or 4th). So I would think most should be ok with Edwards.
That's because there isn't much of a pool to chose from.

Hydrae
01-05-2006, 01:58 PM
june jones

Hmmm, June Jones might be interesting to at least talk to. He has been doing very good things in Hawaii the last few years. But he would probably want to bring the Run and Shoot back to the NFL and I think it has been shown that it just doesn't work at this level.

I am really warming to Rainman's Art Shell thought.