PDA

View Full Version : Last DV Press release

tommykat
01-03-2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/01/03/final_coach_vermeil_press_conference/

What a humble man! He will indeed be missed.

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 05:50 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/01/03/final_coach_vermeil_press_conference/

What a humble man! He will indeed be missed.

Humble losers make great head coaches. :rolleyes:

Frankie
01-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Humble losers make great head coaches. :rolleyes:
A National Championship with UCLA. A couple of SuperBowl trips in the NFL and winning one. Consistantly having the most exciting offense with two different NFL teams. That's hardly the stuff losers are made of.
:rolleyes:

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 06:01 PM
A National Championship with UCLA. A couple of SuperBowl trips in the NFL and winning one. Consistantly having the most exciting offense with two different NFL teams. That's hardly the stuff losers are made of.
:rolleyes:

Dick Vermeil didn't do shit in Kansas City.

He used to be a good head coach.

mcan
01-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Man, I'm gonna miss that guy...

I hope that we get a coach with that kind of candor and respect for people around him the next time around. And I hope that the ball bounces that coaches way a just a couple more times than it did Vermeil.

Have a great retirement Dick, and here's to you... :toast:

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 06:40 PM
A National Championship with UCLA.

He didn't win a national championship at UCLA.

mcan
01-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I can't change your mind Gochiefs, because you've obvioulsy made up your mind about the kind of coach that Dick Vermeil is... Based on what?... I don't know. Perhaps you think that all coaches that don't win a Superbowl are worthless?... Well, Dick has won a Superbowl, so I guess that isn't it. Maybe you think all coaches that don't win a Superbowl every three or four years are "Humble losers"? Whatever. Let's just say that we disagree, and be kind enough to not defame the man when most of us would like to either give our respects to a man who is retiring, or have a productive conversation about where this team should go now that Dick is gone...

Or better. If you want to rail on how bad Dick Vermeil is or get into a heated debate about whether or not he was a good coach, then start a thread called... "Dick Vermeil is a piece of sh!t and hate him and I challenge anybody to prove me wrong."

For my own part... I think that Kansas City will probably never see a finer coach. Maybe a better football mind, but not a finer coach...

sedated
01-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Love him as a person, Hate him as a head coach

stanleychief
01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Ha! The banner on the picture says January 3, 2005! I guess someone forgot to update their date settings ROFL

Frankie
01-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Man, I'm gonna miss that guy...

I hope that we get a coach with that kind of candor and respect for people around him the next time around. And I hope that the ball bounces that coaches way a just a couple more times than it did Vermeil.

Have a great retirement Dick, and here's to you... :toast:
Dick Vermeil was a class act. I respect him and I'm happy he was our coach.

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 07:09 PM
I can't change your mind Gochiefs, because you've obvioulsy made up your mind about the kind of coach that Dick Vermeil is... Based on what?... I don't know. Perhaps you think that all coaches that don't win a Superbowl are worthless?... Well, Dick has won a Superbowl, so I guess that isn't it. Maybe you think all coaches that don't win a Superbowl every three or four years are "Humble losers"? Whatever. Let's just say that we disagree, and be kind enough to not defame the man when most of us would like to either give our respects to a man who is retiring, or have a productive conversation about where this team should go now that Dick is gone...

Or better. If you want to rail on how bad Dick Vermeil is or get into a heated debate about whether or not he was a good coach, then start a thread called... "Dick Vermeil is a piece of sh!t and hate him and I challenge anybody to prove me wrong."

For my own part... I think that Kansas City will probably never see a finer coach. Maybe a better football mind, but not a finer coach...

I love Dick Vermeil as a person.

He wasn't a very good football coach. He didn't get the job done. He didn't even get close. He neglected one side of the ball and couldn't even win a damn playoff game.

mcan
01-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I love Dick Vermeil as a person.

He wasn't a very good football coach. He didn't get the job done. He didn't even get close. He neglected one side of the ball and couldn't even win a damn playoff game.

Well, I can't argue with this, except the part that he "neglected" that side of the ball. I think Dick Vermeil and the Chiefs tried hard to fix that side of the ball. They got a new coordinator and spent a ton of draft picks and few free agents on that side of the ball, and those picks and free agents haven't/didn't get it done. Or at least not soon enough. But, you are right, that reflects directly on the head coach...

I do believe he needed to get rid of some guys including Robinson and a few players from that defense a year before he did... But, he even admitted as much during this press conference.

Paraphrased:
"I think that perhaps I was a bit too patient. You know, sometimes you see somebody do something or make a certain type of play a couple times, and you think that you can coach him to make that kind of play or do those things all the time. Then you invest all this time and effort into that guy and it turns out he can't get there for one reason or another, and I think that happened a couple times... One time in particular, with one young man we drafted. I won't mention his name because I wouldn't want to embarrass him or anything... He's still a good friend of mine, but yeah..."