PDA

View Full Version : Nick's Latest: "Chiefs Narrow Search to Edwards and Stoops"

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 07:19 PM
And you can take that to the bank.... :rolleyes:

http://mb27.scout.com/fchiefsinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=7838.topic

Oh, and you gotta be a "premium" member to get the whole story....

I feel so, so inadequate..... :(

4th and Long
01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
And you can take that to the bank.... :rolleyes:

http://mb27.scout.com/fchiefsinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=7838.topic

Oh, and you gotta be a "premium" member to get the whole story....

Q: Because there are so many openings wonít that make you move quicker than you otherwise would have?

PETERSON: ďNo, I am not putting a timeframe on it and I canít do that at this particular time. There are candidates that we canít talk to right now because they are in the playoffs and there are some very talented people out there. The process will move along as swiftly as I can make it, but I also want to make the right decision for Kansas City.Ē

That Nick, he's right on top of things alright.

BigRedChief
01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
He knew DV was leaving after the Denver game. No rule to keep him from picking up the phone and talking to Stoops. Sirrus radio says Stoops is in town tonight. Smoke/Fire kind of thing?

siberian khatru
01-03-2006, 07:26 PM

I feel $80 richer.

Count Alex's Losses
01-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Carl said that before Williams was announced as being re-upped by Washington.

I'm fairly sure the Chiefs aren't interested in any other playoff-bound coordinators.

milkman
01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Well, clearly, Al Saunders couldn't make his list of finalists, since he already took the Detroit job.

4th and Long
01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I feel $80 richer.
Me too. Kinda like the feeling I get when I see one of those so called diamonds on QVC they are selling and I laugh at the losers that buy them. :D

4th and Long
01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Carl said that before Williams was announced as being re-upped by Washington.

I'm fairly sure the Chiefs aren't interested in any other playoff-bound coordinators.
Kubiak?

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Well, clearly, Al Saunders couldn't make his list of finalists, since he already took the Detroit job.

ROFL

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Kubiak?

Probably.

Shefter said something about the Chiefs requesting permission to speak to Kubiak tonight on Total Access.

4th and Long
01-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Probably.

Shefter said something about the Chiefs requesting permission to speak to Kubiak tonight on Total Access.
I heard the same thing on 2 different sports talk radio shows today as well.

Count Alex's Losses
01-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Kubiak?

Carl is stupid, but not that stupid.

Bowser
01-03-2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the jinx.

jspchief
01-03-2006, 07:34 PM
I actually hope Athan starts getting these things right.

Not because I give a shit about him, but because I'd like to see Phobia's endorsement of him legitimized.

milkman
01-03-2006, 07:34 PM

Never underestimate Carl's stupidity when it come to hiring a HC.

He is, after all, the idiot that hired Gun.

Count Alex's Losses
01-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the jinx.

The Chiefs aren't hiring Kubiak.

FAX
01-03-2006, 07:35 PM
According to sources close to Carl Peterson, he is, in fact, that stupid.

FAX

nascher
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
i am sure they aren't interested in stoops only the local media is. Cp said he would like a HC with NFL "HC" experience.

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
According to sources close to Carl Peterson, he is, in fact, that stupid.

FAX

My sources confirm that your sources are reporting that Carl Peterson is that stupid.

At least, they might be having Deja Vu that they are going to report what your sources are reporting. I think......

Taco John
01-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I heard the same thing on 2 different sports talk radio shows today as well.

That's because the 2 different sports talk radio shows you listened to today did their show prep by watching Adam Schefter on the NFL Network last night.

Taco John
01-03-2006, 07:43 PM
The Chiefs aren't hiring Kubiak.

There's no way that would ever happen. Kubiak isn't going to go somewhere that he isn't going to have some say in personnel matters. Plus, Gary isn't going to go within the division to battle his mentor at every turn.

Phobia
01-03-2006, 07:44 PM

Not because I give a shit about him, but because I'd like to see Phobia's endorsement of him legitimized.

I actually don't like this story. I think Stoops is a smoke screen. I don't believe the Chiefs would pay him the kind of money it would take to uproot him from Norman. But we publish the news as it's leaked to us, not what our own gut says. Everything you read has at least one source behind it.

splatbass
01-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Never underestimate Carl's stupidity when it come to hiring a HC.

He is, after all, the idiot that hired Gun.

Hindsight is 20/20. As I recall, the hiring of Gun was pretty popular around here at the time, just as the rehiring of him was 2 years ago. Now people around here act like they never liked him.

Count Alex's Losses
01-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Kubiak isn't going to go somewhere that he isn't going to have some say in personnel matters.

I'm not sure what you mean. Vermeil made plenty of personnel decisions during his tenure.

44Grimmace
01-03-2006, 07:49 PM
yeah, bring back that guy that brought us DT, neil smith, saleaumua.... cherry..........

yeah what a horrible decision back then.

jidar
01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
The thing that is stupid about this story is that Common Sense says it's bogus.
What happens if we can't get either?
For an extreme example; What if some other team makes them the #1 and #2 highest paid coaches in the NFL?
Do we just say "Oh we had it narrowed down, now I guess we just don't have a HC."

Common sense says this is a fluid process that is going to be changing as more things come to light, and to say its "been narrowed down" and "you can take that to the bank" isn't just poor journalism, it's stupidity.

Skip Towne
01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
I actually don't like this story. I think Stoops is a smoke screen. I don't believe the Chiefs would pay him the kind of money it would take to uproot him from Norman. But we publish the news as it's leaked to us, not what our own gut says. Everything you read has at least one source behind it.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Stoops compensation package at OU is published today in the Daily Oklahoman. The article went on to say that NFL teams can easily pay more than he is making now. Look up the article on the internet. The Oklahoman is not a pay site.

Bowser
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
yeah, bring back that guy that brought us DT, neil smith, saleaumua.... cherry..........

Bill Cowher?

jidar
01-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Stoops compensation package at OU is published today in the Daily Oklahoman. The article went on to say that NFL teams can easily pay more than he is making now. Look up the article on the internet. The Oklahoman is not a pay site.

Found it in googles cache even though the article was membership only:
Stoops' annual pay is listed at $2,659,451

Mecca
01-03-2006, 07:57 PM

Some of those guys were here even before Carl was........like Smith and Cherry.

44Grimmace
01-03-2006, 07:58 PM
but gunther was the coordinator that made everyone fear them.

Mecca
01-03-2006, 08:00 PM
I'm pretty sure Deron Cherry retired before Gunther was ever a member of our staff.

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 08:05 PM

That's my feeling, precisely.

milkman
01-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. As I recall, the hiring of Gun was pretty popular around here at the time, just as the rehiring of him was 2 years ago. Now people around here act like they never liked him.

I have never been a fan of Gunther.

BigRedChief
01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
I have never been a fan of Gunther.

Gunther fan here.............well until I started seeing CB's playing 10 yards off the ball even when he doesn't disguise a blitz is coming. Jared Allen in pass coverage. etc etc

Logical
01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Carl is stupid, but not that stupid.Actually Kubiak might be a good choice if we were to go O-coordinator, better than Stoops no matter what IMO.

Logical
01-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I have never been a fan of Gunther.Not a fan of the HCing move or the rehire as DC, but I viewed it as better than keeping GRob.

Logical
01-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I actually don't like this story. I think Stoops is a smoke screen. I don't believe the Chiefs would pay him the kind of money it would take to uproot him from Norman. But we publish the news as it's leaked to us, not what our own gut says. Everything you read has at least one source behind it.I seem to recall from the Journalism class I took in college back in the stone age that you should never go to press without a minimum of two sources for confirmation. You guys might want to think of following that practice in the future.

milkman
01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Not a fan of the HCing move or the rehire as DC, but I viewed it as better than keeping GRob.

In both cases, I was happy, not because of Gun, per se, but because I despised the people he replaced.

I guess that's how I would describe my feelings about Gun.

I don't despise him.

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Gunther fan here.............well until I started seeing CB's playing 10 yards off the ball even when he doesn't disguise a blitz is coming. Jared Allen in pass coverage. etc etc

That's whats been killing me.

I don't ever recall seeing this during Gunther's previous stint as DC.

Skip Towne
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Deron Cherry retired before Gunther was ever a member of our staff.
Cherry retired after the 1991 season.

Skip Towne
01-03-2006, 08:38 PM
I seem to recall from the Journalism class I took in college back in the stone age that you should never go to press without a minimum of two sources for confirmation. You guys might want to think of following that practice in the future.
You expect two separate, individual sources to give Athan info so he can sell it? Yeah, right.

Skip Towne
01-03-2006, 08:40 PM
That's whats been killing me.

I don't ever recall seeing this during Gunther's previous stint as DC.
Marty wouldn't let him do ignorant shit. Those D's were due to Marty.

Chiefnj
01-03-2006, 08:41 PM

Why would the Chiefs need a smokescreen when looking for a new head coach?

Sybil
01-03-2006, 08:44 PM
I seem to recall from the Journalism class I took in college back in the stone age that you should never go to press without a minimum of two sources for confirmation. You guys might want to think of following that practice in the future.
Edward's sister's husband's brother who's a poker buddy, and Carl's ex-wife's cat's groomer's receptionist count don't they?

Phobia
01-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Why would the Chiefs need a smokescreen when looking for a new head coach?

We've all seen Carl's negotiation tactics over the years. He has the stuff down to an art form. Playing one candidate against another is sport to him.

Chiefnj
01-03-2006, 08:49 PM
We've all seen Carl's negotiation tactics over the years. He has the stuff down to an art form. Playing one candidate against another is sport to him.

You honestly think an Edwards or a Fisher is concerned about Carl playing a Stoops or Butch Davis Card??

Phobia
01-03-2006, 08:59 PM
You honestly think an Edwards or a Fisher is concerned about Carl playing a Stoops or Butch Davis Card??

I'm not aware of all the dynamics of a head coaching search. This is the closest I've ever been to the situation. I'm intrigued and just trying to learn how the process works. I honestly don't think Stoops will be too interested in the Chiefs job, but we keep hearing his name thrown around. Why does his name keep popping up?

Sybil
01-03-2006, 08:59 PM

Both are the types that might actually backfire with too.

WilliamTheIrish
01-03-2006, 09:18 PM

Carl/Lamar paid DV 4 mil per. Plus draft pick comps.

They could pull Stoops out of Norman with ease. (IMO)

Phobia
01-03-2006, 09:23 PM
I've read that Stoops makes close to $4 mill in Norman. His salary alone from the university is nearly $3,000,000.

I just don't see Lamar agreeing to that for somebody who has zero NFL experience.

FringeNC
01-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I've read that Stoops makes close to $4 mill in Norman. His salary alone from the university is nearly $3,000,000.

I just don't see Lamar agreeing to that for somebody who has zero NFL experience.

What's your take on the conflicting rumors about Saunders? Athan claiming he is going to Detroit, and Clayton claiming he is the favorite here. Somebody has bad info.

Phobia
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
What's your take on the conflicting rumors about Saunders? Athan claiming he is going to Detroit, and Clayton claiming he is the favorite here. Somebody has bad info.

I don't think he's a favorite in KC and I think AS still has a shot at the Detroit job. You have to realize there are GMs from each team and agents for every candidate "leaking" information to strengthen their own position at this point in the year. Everything you read has been leaked to us from a so-called credible source. If we published every rumor we heard, we'd have to hire typists. So we go with the best stuff we get.

But, why would anybody listen to me anyway? I don't know that much. I have media credentials but that doesn't mean much.

old_geezer
01-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm just glad this is an Athen blurb. Makes the probability of it being true as about 1 in 1,000,000,000.

tomahawk kid
01-03-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't think he's a favorite in KC and I think AS still has a shot at the Detroit job. You have to realize there are GMs from each team and agents for every candidate "leaking" information to strengthen their own position at this point in the year. Everything you read has been leaked to us from a so-called credible source. If we published every rumor we heard, we'd have to hire typists. So we go with the best stuff we get.

But, why would anybody listen to me anyway? I don't know that much. I have media credentials but that doesn't mean much.

Sounds like Shefter's "goods" re: Edwards and the Chiefs might be no more credible than Clayton at this point, if I'm reading you correctly...

nychief
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM

ROFL

Chiefnj
01-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Why does his name keep popping up?

I have no idea. I'm not a reporter with Scouts, Inc. I just live in New Jersey. You were the one who said you thought it was a smokescreen. I found that to be somewhat questionable. I thought perhaps you might have had some inside info, but I guess you are just passing along some of the alleged "better" rumors. One of the biggest problems I've always had with your boss is the intermingling of what is really inside information and what is pure speculation of the reporter.

Phobia
01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
The following sounds somewhat caustic. It isn't meant to be. It's just very to the point.

Nick isn't my "boss". We have a limited partnership. I don't work for Scouts, Inc. I run a Chiefs forum on Scout.com which is affiliated with Fox Sports.

If I know something to be a fact, I'll report it as a fact. My observations of the Stoops situation are mostly my own speculation based on what little I know on the inside and mostly what I know about his salary and the Chiefs history paying coaches. My personal opinion of the Stoops situation actually differs from the information that has been reported through Warpaint Illustrated. I think we're actually being manipulated in this case. But once again, I don't really know all that much. I'm new. I've held press credentials for less than a week so I'm drawing on my years of observing Carl Peterson closely and putting that together with other information to form my own opinion.

Hoover
01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
The following sounds somewhat caustic. It isn't meant to be. It's just very to the point.

Nick isn't my "boss". We have a limited partnership. I don't work for Scouts, Inc. I run a Chiefs forum on Scout.com which is affiliated with Fox Sports.

If I know something to be a fact, I'll report it as a fact. My observations of the Stoops situation are mostly my own speculation based on what little I know on the inside and mostly what I know about his salary and the Chiefs history paying coaches. My personal opinion of the Stoops situation actually differs from the information that has been reported through Warpaint Illustrated. I think we're actually being manipulated in this case. But once again, I don't really know all that much. I'm new. I've held press credentials for less than a week so I'm drawing on my years of observing Carl Peterson closely and putting that together with other information to form my own opinion.
Thats kinda like when I tell my buddy I like his apartment, and he goes nuts and starts yelling "ITS A TOWNHOME!!!"

Mr. Kotter
01-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Thats kinda like when I tell my buddy I like his apartment, and he goes nuts and starts yelling "ITS A TOWNHOME!!!"

ROFL

redbrian
01-03-2006, 10:27 PM
I've held press credentials for less than a week so I'm drawing on my years of observing Carl Peterson closely and putting that together with other information to form my own opinion.

How close is close, are we talking sitting next him in the steam room close, tapping his phone close, stalking him daily close, just how close is close, inquiring minds want to know, is he a boxer or briefs kind of guy?

BigRedChief
01-03-2006, 10:32 PM
All the local news stations are reporting in their sport spots on the 10:00 news that Stoops will interview for the head coaching job of the Chiefs in KC later this week.

T-post Tom
01-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Carl/Lamar paid DV 4 mil per. Plus draft pick comps.

They could pull Stoops out of Norman with ease. (IMO)

"Ease?"

Few similarities between the two. DV was CP's mentor and good friend. DV had years of NFL experience. DV was in 2 Super Bowls. Yada, yada. The funny thing is that no one has asked Stoops if he's interested in the NFL. He's a demi-god @ OK. Hard to picture him leaving there. Can't blame him for taking interviews with NFL teams and exploring his options, though. If nothing else, it gives him leverage with the University. Look at how quick Williams was re-signed in D.C.

Phobia
01-03-2006, 10:52 PM

He should kick your ass, smartass.

Phobia
01-03-2006, 10:54 PM
How close is close, are we talking sitting next him in the steam room close, tapping his phone close, stalking him daily close, just how close is close, inquiring minds want to know, is he a boxer or briefs kind of guy?

I think I've probably followed the Carl Peterson management of the Chiefs as closely as any other rabid Chiefs fans over the years. It helps that I'm an internet geek who spends too much of his free time monitoring Chiefs websites, radio, and television.

WilliamTheIrish
01-03-2006, 11:06 PM
"Ease?"

Few similarities between the two. DV was CP's mentor and good friend. DV had years of NFL experience. DV was in 2 Super Bowls. Yada, yada. The funny thing is that no one has asked Stoops if he's interested in the NFL. He's a demi-god @ OK. Hard to picture him leaving there. Can't blame him for taking interviews with NFL teams and exploring his options, though. If nothing else, it gives him leverage with the University. Look at how quick Williams was re-signed in D.C.

I meant "ease" money-wise. If Lamar wanted to throw that kind of jack at Stoops, he'd do it in a minute.

Stoops has been asked on several occasions about the NFL and his response has always been positive.

As for getting more $ from OU, it wouldn't be the first time.

Hell when Spurrier left Florida, Stoops pulled the ol' "I'm the coach at OU," speech. He had a new .5mill added on to his contract within days. I imagine after all the Okies get defribillated back to reality after this coaching search dies down, they'll pony up another .5 mill for ol' Bobby.

BigRedChief
01-03-2006, 11:21 PM
I meant "ease" money-wise. If Lamar wanted to throw that kind of jack at Stoops, he'd do it in a minute.

Stoops has been asked on several occasions about the NFL and his response has always been positive.

As for getting more $ from OU, it wouldn't be the first time.

Hell when Spurrier left Florida, Stoops pulled the ol' "I'm the coach at OU," speech. He had a new .5mill added on to his contract within days. I imagine after all the Okies get defribillated back to reality after this coaching search dies down, they'll pony up another .5 mill for ol' Bobby.

He's making 2.6 mil and change. Lamar can give him $4 mil easy.