PDA

View Full Version : Nutjob religious league slamming South Park

Count Zarth
01-03-2006, 06:52 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060103/en_tv_eo/18055

Did Comedy Central grant the Catholic League its Christmas wish?

Following the Dec. 7 season finale of South Park, titled "Bloody Mary," the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights slammed the network for its irreverent portrayal of church icons and sought to block the episode from being rebroadcast.

It appears the group may have met with success. A repeat of the finale was scheduled to air Wednesday night, but was pulled from the Comedy Central lineup without explanation.

In the episode, a statue of the Virgin Mary is believed to be bleeding from its rear end, inspiring faithful parishioners to flock from miles around to be healed by the miraculous blood.

Eventually,
Pope Benedict XVI is called in to investigate, whereupon he determines that the statue is actually menstruating and thus is nothing special.

"A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle," the pope declares in the episode. "Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time."

Somewhat predictably, the Catholic League was incensed by the satirical portrayal of the Virgin Mary and the pope and by the fact that the episode aired on the day before the Catholic Church celebrated its Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

The conservative group demanded an apology from Viacom, Comedy Central's parent company, to Roman Catholics everywhere and "a pledge that this episode be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD."

The Catholic League also sought a personal condemnation from Viacom board member Joseph A. Califano Jr., who the group noted is a "practicing Catholic."

Califano was only too happy to oblige. After viewing the episode, he released a statement calling the episode an "appalling and disgusting portrayal of the Virgin Mary."

"It is particularly troubling to me as a Roman Catholic that the segment has run on the eve and day of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, a holy day for Roman Catholics," Califano said.

Califano also pledged to have Viacom president and CEO Tom Freston review the episode.

Comedy Central did not respond to a request for comment on why "Bloody Mary" was yanked from the schedule.

Screencaps of the episode were no longer available on Comedy Central's press site or on comedycentral.com's South Park section.

The Catholic League previously tangled with Comedy Central in 2002 over a South Park episode titled "Red Hot Catholic Love," but failed to produce any results.

Bowser
01-03-2006, 06:53 PM
ROFL

Who wants to take bets on where this one will end up? DC, or the Romper Room?

Otter
01-03-2006, 06:53 PM
The only bad publicty is no publicity, just don't spell the name wrong.

Search "Taco John" for examples.

44Grimmace
01-03-2006, 06:55 PM
well, from their point, 'nutjob tv show disses our patron saint'

i think southpark makes enough fun of everyone it's not a thing against Christians...

unlurking
01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
There is no way in hell that doesn't make it to DVD.

One of the best episodes of the season. The alcohilic dad in the wheelchair was absolutely hilarious.

jidar
01-03-2006, 06:59 PM
That episodes ratings will now skyrocket should it be aired

sedated
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Religious freaks offended? No Way!!

Taco John
01-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I will take a moment to thank the Lord for my Tivo.

Taco John
01-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Amen.

Adept Havelock
01-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Really, who's surprised at this? I turned on the news a little while ago and some "Nutjob religious league" was out protesting the funeral of a Soldier that died in Iraq.

I don't normally watch the show, but will have to track down and d/l this one. Sounds quite funny.

Word for the day:
Puritan- One who lives in fear that someone, somewhere, is actually enjoying their life.

Valiant
01-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Hell why isn't the church rallying out to those nutjob babtists in missouri that are protesting military funerals??? Those disgusting ****s are actually being serious about saying the dead deserved to die for fighting for America and not the America that was made for Christians when it was founded... ****ing morons...

Valiant
01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Really, who's surprised at this? I turned on the news a little while ago and some "Nutjob religious league" was out protesting the funeral of a Soldier that died in Iraq.

I don't normally watch the show, but will have to track down and d/l this one. Sounds quite funny.

Word for the day:
Puritan- One who lives in fear that someone, somewhere, is actually enjoying their life.

Thought they said baptist church... That shit was sick, especially the kids holding the signs and yelling at the family... The county is trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to protest funerals one hour before and one hour after.. They said if it passes they will sue, because they have freedom of speech...

Frazod
01-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm surprised no one complained about rendering Pope Palpatine I as a cartoon character. That'll scare the children. :eek:

SLAG
01-03-2006, 07:27 PM
id just like everyone to know that the "catholic league" is not in assoiation with the Catholic Church.

They are not catholics in the eyes of rome

Adept Havelock
01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Thought they said baptist church... That shit was sick, especially the kids holding the signs and yelling at the family... The county is trying to pass a law that makes it illegal to protest funerals one hour before and one hour after.. They said if it passes they will sue, because they have freedom of speech...

Yes, it was that drooling mongoloid Fred Phelps and his bunch of inbred cheerleaders from Westboro Baptist over in Topeka.

I don't know about the law. I can't stand these idiots, but they do have the right. A few weeks ago there was a vol. organization of Veteran Bikers that were placing themselves between the de-evolved and the funeral. I was really hoping Phelps would pis* off the wrong biker.

Herzig
01-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, it was that drooling mongoloid Fred Phelps and his bunch of inbred cheerleaders from Westboro Baptist over in Topeka.

I don't know about the law. I can't stand these idiots, but they do have the right. A few weeks ago there was a vol. organization of Veteran Bikers that were placing themselves between the de-evolved and the funeral. I was really hoping Phelps would pis* off the wrong biker.

They came down to Fayetteville High School to protest against the student gay and lesbian club at FHS. They had signs like "God hates Fags" and stuff.....wackos to the extreme.

Saulbadguy
01-03-2006, 07:41 PM
The episode wasn't that great. The new season has been lacking in quality.

pak1983
01-03-2006, 07:45 PM
god creates babies

SLAG
01-03-2006, 07:46 PM
They came down to Fayetteville High School to protest against the student gay and lesbian club at FHS. They had signs like "God hates Fags" and stuff.....wackos to the extreme.

My Cousin went to Topkea West and at his Graduation they had Big Signs with theese dudes:

http://rainbowsendsigns.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/rr2.jpg

and they were positioned As in a Stand up Doggy Style Situation.

With the:

Big Red Circle Cross thing

Very funny.http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00004D07Y.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Herzig
01-03-2006, 07:46 PM

Threadjack...here's a link...

http://arkansas.indymedia.org/newswire/display/5374/index.php

Bowser
01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
The episode wasn't that great. The new season has been lacking in quality.

How was the Tom Cruise episode? Apparently, Tom was plenty pissed about it....

SLAG
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
How was the Tom Cruise episode? Apparently, Tom was plenty pissed about it....

Whats he going to do .... Lock himself in the closet over it

:shrug:

Bowser
01-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Whats he going to do .... Lock himself in the closet over it

:shrug:

You mean longer? :D

I was just curious if the episode was good. I completely forgot to watch it.

SLAG
01-03-2006, 08:00 PM
You mean longer? :D

I was just curious if the episode was good. I completely forgot to watch it.

Yeah it was funny.

everything they said about Scientologist was 100% Accurate.

(Btw Tom and R Kelly Locked themselfs in kyles closet the whole episode)

SNR
01-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Stevieray to call out gochiefs in 3... 2.... 1....

Pitt Gorilla
01-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I read an article about "SouthPark Conservatives" not too long ago.

Halfcan
01-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Religious freaks offended? No Way!!

Ya we are getting some complaints about your avatar too=promoting drug use to innocent kids. Religious freaks are now boycotting the the Planet.

Thanks, I hate those bastards!