PDA

View Full Version : Edwards or his predecessors?

Chiefnj
01-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Is Edwards really a good head coach or is more like a Switzer who is riding the coat tails of a team built by Parcells and made much better by having four first round picks in 2000?

nychief
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Pacells has not been there in 6 years - Al Groh coached the first year after Tuna left - so, I think it is a bit much to say that this is all Tuna's doing... He created a winning culture - much like Vermiel has created here - so I think Herm can handle it.

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Parcells was only the coach for three years (29-19 record). Then Al Groh was the coach for a year (9-7 record). Then Edwards took over, and he's had it for five years (39-41 record). I don't think Parcells could have affected the team that much in his short tenure.

Dear lord, the coach before Parcells was Rich Kotite (4-28 in his two years). That guy was without a doubt the worst coach in the history of the NFL.

Rain Man
01-03-2006, 08:24 PM
nychief stole my line.

Chiefnj
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Parcells was only the coach for three years (29-19 record). Then Al Groh was the coach for a year (9-7 record). Then Edwards took over, and he's had it for five years (39-41 record). I don't think Parcells could have affected the team that much in his short tenure.

Dear lord, the coach before Parcells was Rich Kotite (4-28 in his two years). That guy was without a doubt the worst coach in the history of the NFL.

Parcells did have a huge affect on the Jets. They were 1-15 in Kotite's final season. The very next year Parcells brought them to 9-7 and then to the AFC championship game in 98 with a 12-4 record. In 2000 the Jets entered the draft with four first round picks and they grabbed Pennignton, Abraham, Ellis and eventually Coles. Edwards had a nice foundation with young talent.