View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs show interest in Fassel

tk13
01-04-2006, 02:21 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13543616.htm

Carl’s last coach?
Chiefs show interest in Fassel as hot list becomes one shorter

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

One of the candidates to be the Chiefs’ next head coach came off the job market Tuesday. A second was interviewing elsewhere, while a third was apparently on hold.

Still, the process to replace Dick Vermeil appeared to be advancing.

Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome said he had granted Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson permission to speak with Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel, and Newsome thought the two were meeting Tuesday night.

Fassel is the former head coach of the New York Giants. He coached the Giants to the Super Bowl after the 2000 season. He spent the last two seasons with the Ravens.

Meanwhile, Washington defensive coordinator Gregg Williams agreed to a contract extension, effectively removing himself as a candidate for the Chiefs and other teams. The Chiefs had tried Monday to set up an interview with Williams for next week.

Peterson also indicated for the first time that his most recent contract extension would be his last and that he hoped he wouldn’t have to hire yet another coach after this one.

“When Lamar (Hunt) and Clark (Hunt) asked me last year to re-up for another four years starting this February, I said, ‘This will be the last ride for me,’ ” Peterson said. “I’ve been here a long time and love it. I’ve got the best ownership in the National Football League. But I would like to think this next head football coach is going to be here longer than (me).”

Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who had interviewed with Peterson on Monday, was in Minnesota meeting with the Vikings about their vacant head-coaching job. The Chiefs had yet to ask the Jets for permission to speak with their head coach, Herman Edwards.

“Officially, I haven’t received a phone call from Kansas City, and I’m not expecting one right now,” Jets general manager Terry Bradway said on his radio show on Tuesday in New York.

Other candidates appeared to include former Cleveland coach Butch Davis and two offensive coordinators, San Diego’s Cam Cameron and Denver’s Gary Kubiak.

Davis, fired by the Browns in the 2004 season, issued a statement through the NFL Network that he was interested in getting back into coaching. Davis has been an analyst for the network.

Peterson wouldn’t confirm or deny any candidates at Vermeil’s farewell news conference. He did acknowledge meeting Monday with Saunders.

“I thought it went well,” Peterson said. “I told him it’s the beginning of an interview. It was a lot less formal than formal. One of the reasons is that I’ve known Al since 1974.

“There are some very talented candidates out there that I want to talk to. I owe that to the Lamar Hunt family. Al is certainly a candidate and a consideration. I know Al. I know his strengths and weaknesses. We had a very good interview that’s not concluded. Al needs to also pursue some opportunities specific to interviews he has. And then there are other considerations. It’s more than just the offensive side of the football.”

Saunders was scheduled to interview Thursday with the Houston Texans.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-04-2006, 02:25 AM
I hope Al ends up being the next HC.

Either way, though, as long as we keep the offensive system, get a defense, and win a Super Bowl, I'm fine with whoever the next HC is.

RedDread
01-04-2006, 02:36 AM
If we're bringing in Fassel we might as well just promote Saunders to HC instead.

jAZ
01-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Nooooo!!!!

chefsos
01-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Nooooo!!!!
Enhanced your post.

DenverChief
01-04-2006, 02:53 AM
what is wrong with Fassel?

tk13
01-04-2006, 03:00 AM
They're usually found from dinosaurs.

Tribal Warfare
01-04-2006, 03:03 AM
The thing I want to know is when Tim Lewis and Ron Rivera come to KC for an interview.

jAZ
01-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Well first of all, he is an offensive guy. And not particularly good one based on his track record. He made it to a superbowl in NY, but he also tanked HUGELY the next year (or was it the year they ended up making it to the SB).

I have always been hugely supportive of DV and his offensive appoach, but I think our offense will surive and our system is in place. We don't need a new offensive system.

Our weakness is on Defense and I think we need a defensive coach to fill that in. If we are going to bring in an offensive coach it needs to be someone who will keep our system in tact because I think our offensive talent fits the timing, RAC aspects of our system.

Bringing in a new system (something I would expect Fassel to do) would be the worst thing for us in the next few years.

To me it just makes the least sense of any of the options we've discussed.

Reaper16
01-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Carl talking about leaving in 4 years gives us a glimmering ray of hope that someday, one fine day our dreams will manifest themslves into something tangible.

tk13
01-04-2006, 03:06 AM
The thing I want to know is when Tim Lewis and Ron Rivera come to KC for an interview.
They have to get eliminated from the playoffs before they interview anywhere.

DenverChief
01-04-2006, 03:06 AM
They're usually found from dinosaurs.

he led the Gnats to the super bowl....:shrug:

DenverChief
01-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Well first of all, he is an offensive guy. And not particularly good one based on his track record. He made it to a superbowl in NY, but he also tanked HUGELY the next year (or was it the year they ended up making it to the SB).

I have always been hugely supportive of DV and his offensive appoach, but I think our offense will surive and our system is in place. We don't need a new offensive system.

Our weakness is on Defense and I think we need a defensive coach to fill that in. If we are going to bring in an offensive coach it needs to be someone who will keep our system in tact because I think our offensive talent fits the timing, RAC aspects of our system.

Bringing in a new system (something I would expect Fassel to do) would be the worst thing for us in the next few years.

To me it just makes the least sense of any of the options we've discussed.

OK

Tribal Warfare
01-04-2006, 03:08 AM
They have to get eliminated from the playoffs before they interview anywhere.

it was a rhetoric question ;)

jAZ
01-04-2006, 03:25 AM
he led the Gnats to the super bowl....:shrug:
I think the year they won the superbowl was the year he made his "guarantee" of a playoff appearance. They got on a roll. But the reason he felt able to make such a guarantee was that he was likely to be fired if they didn't make the playoffs.

His run gave him another couple years.

He was fired after going 4-12 in his 7th season.

tomahawk kid
01-04-2006, 07:30 AM
This is such a token interview it's not even funny.

Everyone and their dog knows the Chiefs want Edwards, it's just a matter of Herm wanting to leave the Jets and compensation.

Chiefnj
01-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Fassel is pretty good with QB's. Carl should pick his brain about how to develop one.

Cormac
01-04-2006, 08:57 AM
I know Al. I know his strengths and weaknesses. We had a very good interview that’s not concluded. Al needs to also pursue some opportunities specific to interviews he has. And then there are other considerations. It’s more than just the offensive side of the football.”

This reeks of CP's desire to bring in a defensive minded HC. I'll be shocked if Al is hired. My guess is CP's plan is to bring in Herman Edwards, keep Gun and promote Mike Solari or Terry Shea as OC.

BigChiefFan
01-04-2006, 09:13 AM
I still don't get the fascination with Edwards, not if we have to GIVE UP draft picks for him. I think Herm Edwards being in the equation is PURE Bull crap.

RJ
01-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I still don't get the fascination with Edwards, not if we have to GIVE UP draft picks for him. I think Herm Edwards being in the equation is PURE Bull crap.

I agree. What is there about Edwards that makes him such a great candidate? His teams performances have been mediocre overall. He's 39-41 over 5 seasons, best regular season record was (twice) 10-6, 2-3 in the playoffs. Doesn't seem like someone worth giving up picks for.

Mecca
01-04-2006, 11:41 AM
I think you should look at the team he took over, and the teams he made the playoffs with. He's never exactly had a talent laden team and made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years. Also posting his career record is misleading he's only under 500 because of this year where half their team went on IR, if we had lost the players they did we'd have been about 1-15.

Cormac
01-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I think you should look at the team he took over, and the teams he made the playoffs with. He's never exactly had a talent laden team and made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years. Also posting his career record is misleading he's only under 500 because of this year where half their team went on IR, if we had lost the players they did we'd have been about 1-15.

This is not directed at you, Mecca, but why in Christ's name does Herm Edwards get a pass for never having a "talent-laden team" in 5 seasons. If he was Chiefs HC, he'd be ripped a new one for failing to bring in enough talent. The degree of talent on a team is only the head coach's responsibility when he's the Chiefs HC?

Johnson&Johnson
01-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Oh yeah. Fassel is the same guy who thought Tiki Barber was only good at a 3rd down back.

hello McFly...Tiki had three 200yds rushing games this year. Tiki became NYG featured back after Fassel's departure.

I'll make this real simple, anyone who thinks to have Kerry "i didn't get enough sleep" Collins to be their QB is not a football leader.

Mecca
01-04-2006, 01:12 PM
This is not directed at you, Mecca, but why in Christ's name does Herm Edwards get a pass for never having a "talent-laden team" in 5 seasons. If he was Chiefs HC, he'd be ripped a new one for failing to bring in enough talent. The degree of talent on a team is only the head coach's responsibility when he's the Chiefs HC?

Bringing in players is the GM's job, unless of course the head coach has influence over there. That's why Vermiel didn't get a free pass here, he obviously had say in players.

The Jets are notoriousily cheap, if you weren't aware of that. The Jets tried to improve but missed out on several players because they didn't offer as much money, Antione Winfield, John Lynch, Lawyer Milloy come to mind on this.

Herms job with the 2002 Jets was remarkable, everyone here seems to forget that. That team was old, older than our current team is yet he took it to the playoffs. If you look at the talent on that team that wasn't a playoff team, yet he got them there. That's a hell of a good job.

Here is a link to that teams roster..........http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/2002-nyj

That team beat the Colts in the playoffs 41-0, I consider that a hell of a season for a coach.

Herm overachieved with a veteran group that wasn't really all that good. What if he comes in and overachieves with this veteran group that's alot better than that one? What could the results then be?

tk13
01-04-2006, 02:04 PM
You know, I'd forgotten about that Antoine Winfield disaster where the Jets cheaped out on him.

Rausch
01-04-2006, 02:08 PM

No talent?

They've had planty of talent.

They had a probowl CB retire this year and replaced him with Ty Law.

Their WR's are damned good, only taking a step down with Chrebet leaving.

Their O line is solid, it was decimated with injuries, just like the QB position.

Curtis Martin is Curtis Martin, and they brough in Blaylock to b/u.

Great D line, solid LB's.

Mecca
01-04-2006, 02:16 PM
No talent?

They've had planty of talent.

They had a probowl CB retire this year and replaced him with Ty Law.

Their WR's are damned good, only taking a step down with Chrebet leaving.

Their O line is solid, it was decimated with injuries, just like the QB position.

Curtis Martin is Curtis Martin, and they brough in Blaylock to b/u.

Great D line, solid LB's.

Most of those players were brought in with Herm, Donnie Abraham was there because he knew Herm from Tampa. The LB's were completely changed under Herm, when he got there it was Marvin Jones, Mo Lewis and Sam Cowart, probably the slowest group of LB's in the NFL at the time he got to the playoffs with them. The only good D players on that roster when Herm got there were their 2 ends.

Offensivly they had a gamebreaker WR in Santana Moss they traded him,why? Because when you have Chad Pennington a big downfield threat WR is of no use to you because Chad can't get the ball there. Coles and McCareins are a decent starting duo probably middle of the pack.

The Jet's have not been an overly talented team during his tenure they've gone young on defense from an old group same on offense. All the while doing this in until this year the best division in football. Judging by Herms history I think he's a good fit here for our veteran team and also for making the change for the future. He's shown the ability to do both with the Jets.