PDA

View Full Version : NY Newsday: Chiefs & Jets discussing deal for Herm, despite denials

tk13
01-04-2006, 02:37 AM
http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/printedition/nyc-spherm044574695jan04,0,6052428.story?coll=nyc-sports-print

Will Edwards jet?
Chiefs reportedly discussing deal for coach, but Bradway says no team has reached out

BY KEN BERGER
STAFF WRITER

January 4, 2006

The Jets and Chiefs were said to be discussing a deal last night that would allow coach Herman Edwards to walk away from the last two years of his contract and replace Dick Vermeil in Kansas City.

The NFL Network first reported the discussions, which were confirmed by a person with knowledge of them who said, "They're going on, and people in your building know that they're going on ... Right now there is absolutely smoke and fire."

The network reported that the Jets were discussing a compensation package for Edwards that included "middle-round picks." The talks apparently were part of an informal feeling-out process between the teams.

One high-ranking team official described the discussions as "a staging process," but did not have first-hand knowledge of them. Three other high-ranking team officials contacted last night did not have knowledge of the talks, either.

The news came less than two hours after general manager Terry Bradway said on his season-ending radio show at a Long Island hotel that Edwards' situation "hasn't been addressed. Officially, I have not gotten a call from Kansas City and I'm not expecting one as of right now."

When approached after the show, Bradway reiterated that there had been no contact between the teams. He indicated that if a team called about Edwards, he would talk with his coach to gauge his interest in leaving. Asked if he'd consider a compensation package that includes draft picks to let Edwards out of his contract, Bradway said, "I can't answer that. I have nothing to say."

Chiefs president Carl Peterson declined to address the Edwards situation yesterday in a regularly scheduled news conference in Kansas City, saying, "I just would prefer to keep that confidential." But earlier this week, Peterson said he'd like to speak with Edwards if the Jets would allow it. No team can interview a coach under contract without permission.

Edwards, who guided the Jets to the playoffs in three out of five seasons, is believed to want more security because of the extent to which the Jets' roster must be rebuilt after a 4-12 season caused by conspiring forces of age and injuries.

With the Raiders firing Norv Turner yesterday, there are seven NFL head coaching jobs open, with the Lions' decision on Dick Jauron still pending. Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, one of the Chiefs' top candidates, signed a three-year, $8-million extension with the Redskins yesterday and is now making more than Edwards ($2 million per year).

Meanwhile, Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson confirmed that he will interview for the Saints' head coaching job this weekend or next. "I'm honored," said Henderson, who thinks Edwards will stay. "Based on what Herm told me, he's going to be here ... He told us all that he's going to be here. I wouldn't doubt him. He's never told me a lie."

Notes & quotes: P Ben Graham, an exclusive-rights free agent, was signed to an undisclosed contract extension.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 02:55 AM
TK,

I just want to tell you that your avatar ****ing rocks.

tk13
01-04-2006, 03:02 AM
*Does the little bow with finger circles*

tk13
01-04-2006, 04:33 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/380001p-322660c.html

"Officially, we haven't received a phone call from Kansas City," Bradway said late yesterday on his radio show. "I really can't comment. Carl (Peterson) will have some options and we'll see what happens."

Bradway chose his words carefully, because he and Chiefs president Peterson, a close friend, did have a brief, "unofficial" conversation in the morning, a person with knowledge of the situation said. They agreed to talk again later in the day. The two teams discussed a package that includes "middle-round draft picks," the network reported.

The compensation issue could be a stumbling block - if it isn't already. The Chiefs are said to be reluctant to part with premium draft choices. Peterson, speaking to reporters in Kansas City, declined to comment when asked specifically about Edwards.

Edwards, who put in a full work day at Weeb Ewbank Hall, maintained that he has no desire to leave. He has two years remaining on his contract. Anticipating a major rebuilding job after a 4-12 season, he's believed to be seeking a two-year extension.

"I'm the Jets coach and that's what I anticipate (for 2006)," he said from his home last night. "I'm not looking at anything."

Meanwhile, the Chiefs continued the search process, lining up interviews with other candidates. They already have interviewed Vermeil's right-hand man, offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who also has drawn interest from the Vikings, Lions and Texans. He's the Chiefs' leading candidate, ESPN reported.

That, of course, could be a smoke screen, a ploy by the Chiefs to make the Jets lower their compensation demands - if, in fact, they're willing to part with Edwards. Bradway has declined comment; he and Edwards are scheduled to hold an end-of-the-season news conference tomorrow.

Edwards' case for a contract extension and/or raise was bolstered yesterday with the news that Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams re-signed for a reported $8 million over three years. As an assistant, he will be earning more than Edwards, who makes about $2 million a year.

the Talking Can
01-04-2006, 05:26 AM
I will egg my neighbors house if we give up draft pics for Herm Schottenheimer.

RedDread
01-04-2006, 05:47 AM

Yeah, it would suck but Edwards will be a great coach here for many years.

JMHO

the Talking Can
01-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Yeah, it would suck but Edwards will be a great coach here for many years.

JMHO

Professor William Franklin Edwards?

http://www.lib.washington.edu/exhibits/site/edwards.gif

siberian khatru
01-04-2006, 07:00 AM

You live next to Carl Peterson? Cool.

BigRedChief
01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
I will egg my neighbors house if we give up draft pics for Herm Schottenheimer.Well he was coach of the jets the last 5 years same length of time as DV in the same conference and had to play the Pats twice a year.

Does anyone really think that the Jets have as much talent as the Chiefs? During this time the Chiefs have had much more talent than the Jets but........

The main thing is the main thing. And in bottom lining the main thing Herm did more in NY with less than DV accomplished here in KC.

Chiefs playoff appearances in the last 5 years = 1
Jets playoff apperances in the last 5 years = 3

Chief playoff wins in the last 5 years = 0
Jets playoff wins in the last 5 years = 2

In that pressure cooker of the NY media and with inferior talent he made the playoffs 3 out of the last 5 years. But he did hire Jimmy Raye and Paul Hackett as OC's. But I don't think he's as bad as choice as some make him out to be.

He's still not my choice but I could live with the selection of Herm.

mlyonsd
01-04-2006, 08:33 AM

Ditto. WTF has Edwards ever done? His teams have been nothing but underachievers, and his personnel choices haven't panned out.

If CP has some chip on his shoulder that doesn't allow him to give the reigns to Saunders then I wish a pox on him.

Ari Chi3fs
01-04-2006, 08:38 AM
TK,

I just want to tell you that your avatar ****ing rocks.

what exactly does it mean? Im out of the loop. :/

Simply Red
01-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Hire within. Nobody got fired. Two words, Al Saunders!!

CanadaKC
01-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I like Edwards...he's a good combo of intensity and dedication to his players...and they respect him a lot back. He'll be a great fit in KC.
Hopefully...he'll bring some of his scouts with him.

CanadaKC
01-04-2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/379991p-322660c.html

Lzen
01-04-2006, 12:00 PM
What's the deal with giving up draft picks? I thought it was not allowed anymore to give up picks for a coach. WTH?

eazyb81
01-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Why in the hell would we give up good draft picks for Edwards when we can get a good coach like Stoops, Davis, Saunders,etc. without giving them up?

DAMMIT CARL!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Mecca
01-04-2006, 12:13 PM
It depends what you're giving up, but Edwards is more proven than those guys.

I personally think Stoops has disaster written all over him.

eazyb81
01-04-2006, 12:21 PM
It depends what you're giving up, but Edwards is more proven than those guys.

I personally think Stoops has disaster written all over him.

Just because he is more "proven", doesn't mean we should trade draft picks for him when our team is as old as it is. Other teams don't have to trade draft picks for their coaches, why do we always have to do it?

I will hang myself if we give up anything more than a 3rd rounder.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Just because he is more "proven", doesn't mean we should trade draft picks for him when our team is as old as it is. Other teams don't have to trade draft picks for their coaches, why do we always have to do it?

I think the "old team" is BS.

Roaf, Shields, Green, T-Rich and Kennison are the only old heads we have.

The defense is very young.

eazyb81
01-04-2006, 12:47 PM
I think the "old team" is BS.

Roaf, Shields, Green, T-Rich and Kennison are the only old heads we have.

The defense is very young.

There is some young talent on the defense, but it seems like most of the better players are older veterans.

Allen, DJ, Mitchell, Sims, and Siavii are about the only decent young defensive players. Wesley and Warfield are pretty good, but they're not exactly young.

nascher
01-04-2006, 12:49 PM
maybe but the future of the chiefs doesn't hang on one or two shitty draft picks.

eazyb81
01-04-2006, 12:52 PM
maybe but the future of the chiefs doesn't hang on one or two shitty draft picks.

It could if one or two of those "shitty" draft picks ends up being future Pro Bowlers.

(Enter quotes about Carl being an awful talent evaluator in the draft)

Mecca
01-04-2006, 12:57 PM

Well, it worked for Tampa Bay........

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 12:58 PM
There is some young talent on the defense, but it seems like most of the better players are older veterans.

Allen, DJ, Mitchell, Sims, and Siavii are about the only decent young defensive players. Wesley and Warfield are pretty good, but they're not exactly young.

2 of our 4 starters on the D-line are under 26. 2 of our 3 starting linebackers are under 27.

Surtain and Warfield are both going to be 30 when next season starts - not exactly old.

LJ's only 26. Waters is 29. TG is 30. Dante is 27.

We have a lot of young talent. I don't consder old until about 34. Green, Roaf, Shields are old by NFL standards. But that doesn't make this team old.

01-04-2006, 12:58 PM
herm edwards is probably my last choice for head coch

Mecca
01-04-2006, 12:59 PM

Your name is screwing up the front page..........

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 01:00 PM

Then you know dick about the NFL if he is the last name you want. I can name about 10 head coaches right now that would be near the bottom of my list. None of them are Herm Edwards.

Saulbadguy
01-04-2006, 01:01 PM
LOL

Johnson&Johnson
01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Heck with all these talks.

Let me start a ridiculous rumor now. They are talking to Tom Osborne out of his retirement.

CP keeps our frist round draft pick and draft Marcus Vick and then Osborne installs a successful modified version of his Cornhuskers wishbone attack with Vick and LJ.

all I'm looking forward to is Chiefs in 2009 when King Carl retires. Then we'll have a chance for a SB!

Mr. Laz
01-04-2006, 01:23 PM
trading more draft picks for a head coach makes me ill.

Sure-Oz
01-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Heck with all these talks.

Let me start a ridiculous rumor now. They are talking to Tom Osborne out of his retirement.

CP keeps our frist round draft pick and draft Marcus Vick and then Osborne installs a successful modified version of his Cornhuskers wishbone attack with Vick and LJ.

all I'm looking forward to is Chiefs in 2009 when King Carl retires. Then we'll have a chance for a SB!
Sign Lawrence Phillips and run the option ahhhh snap!!!

tomahawk kid
01-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Then you know dick about the NFL if he is the last name you want. I can name about 10 head coaches right now that would be near the bottom of my list. None of them are Herm Edwards.

Exactly.

The only "available" coach I would rather have than Herm is Jeff Fisher.

NY CHIEF
01-04-2006, 01:53 PM
No more draft pics for a dam coach!!! the chiefs need them we are very close. Our O has at least 1 more year in its tank :hmmm:

svuba
01-04-2006, 03:05 PM

Yeah I'd much rather have Norv Turner & keep our 3rd round draft pick