PDA

View Full Version : Investors, how did you fare in the stock market this year?

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 08:35 AM
For the year, the Dow lost 0.6 percent, the Nasdaq gained 1.4 percent, the S&P 500 gained 3 percent and the Russell 2000 small cap index gained 3.4 percent.

wutamess
01-04-2006, 08:37 AM
I fucced around with a get rich or die trying stock and it's currently threatening to be delisted. I only played around with $500 so I'm riding this thing on out.

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Those little stocks can be scary, wutamess. How'd you find out about it?

For the year, I ended up 8.8 percent on the positive side of the ledger. I'm pretty pleased with that. Of course, I'm only now getting back to the amount of savings I had back in 2000 when the market cratered, and that's after five more years of contributions. It really hurt to be down 50% in one year back then.

Ari Chi3fs
01-04-2006, 08:43 AM
I have played several... but mostly played GTE... Got out yesterday near its peak... will get back in when the dust settles.

Infidel Goat
01-04-2006, 08:45 AM
5.98%

Vanguard Total Market Stock Index.

And since it is an index, the costs associated with the fund will be negligible.

--Infidel Goat

jspchief
01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
It's hard to remember that 6-8% is pretty good.

I haven't done anything since the 90s, when I was getting 15-20%.

HemiEd
01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Had a couple of home runs that offset some serious strike outs. I pretty much broke even for the year.

Hog Farmer
01-04-2006, 09:03 AM
I bought SIRIUS at 3.89 sold it at 4.63 when somebody scared me that the stock was gonna crash. Then I bought it back at 5.99 and still own it . It's around 6.50-7.00. Was up to 9.43 Dec/04.
But that's all I have.

sd4chiefs
01-04-2006, 09:15 AM
I jumped on the energy stocks bandwagon last May. It has gone up 30% so far. PBJ It has been a real rollercoaster ride. It jumped 2% on the first day of trading yesterday. Thankyou, Halliburton.

wutamess
01-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Those little stocks can be scary, wutamess. How'd you find out about it?

For the year, I ended up 8.8 percent on the positive side of the ledger. I'm pretty pleased with that. Of course, I'm only now getting back to the amount of savings I had back in 2000 when the market cratered, and that's after five more years of contributions. It really hurt to be down 50% in one year back then.

Wanted to dibble and dabble in the market and try it out. Read some article that had 10 promising stocks for under $10. GLGS was a biotech firm that's trying to basically find a cure for a certain type of cancer. Sounds promising but they're running out of funds and are going to be delisted in the short term.

?... If they're delisted can I still trade the stock after the delisting?

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 09:30 AM

I'm not sure. Is it an OTC stock? I don't know the terminology, but you can trade OTC stocks, which are essentially tiny little stocks. I think that if it gets delisted, you're kind of screwed. The stock may still have some value, but you can't just put in a sell order and other people can't put in a buy order.

ChiTown
01-04-2006, 09:36 AM
I put the majority (80% Non 401K) of my investments into my new business. I made a 48% ROI this year. Works for me................

I hate investing in stocks. I have netiher the time nor the desire to track it.

HemiEd
01-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Wanted to dibble and dabble in the market and try it out. Read some article that had 10 promising stocks for under $10. GLGS was a biotech firm that's trying to basically find a cure for a certain type of cancer. Sounds promising but they're running out of funds and are going to be delisted in the short term.

I have a similar one, HIET. It is a bulletin board stock, which is easily traded with a broker. I bought it just over $3 and now it is 40 cents. They have the bomb detection technology that should be going well right now. I have had several stocks get delisted and end up as a BB stock.

patteeu
01-04-2006, 10:15 AM
I can't say that my investments have done too much yet this year, but we've only had 1 trading day so there's still time for a recovery. I'm optimistic.

wutamess
01-04-2006, 10:17 AM
I have a similar one, HIET. It is a bulletin board stock, which is easily traded with a broker. I bought it just over $3 and now it is 40 cents. They have the bomb detection technology that should be going well right now. I have had several stocks get delisted and end up as a BB stock.

So what happens with a BB stock? Is it still tradable?

ChiefsfaninPA
01-04-2006, 10:23 AM
You mean people actually gamble, I mean invest in individual stocks. I own a few index funds that did pretty good this year with the dividends reinvested. I use Vanguard for all of my funds so I paid a minimal amount in fees.

HemiEd
01-04-2006, 10:23 AM
So what happens with a BB stock? Is it still tradable?

Absolutely! If you have a good broker it is no problem, however some of those stock jock types do not want to fool with them.

alnorth
01-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Does a diversified portfolio of mutual funds count as "stock"? I've only owned my stuff for part of the year, but its been going up like gangbusters. >9% for the year.

alnorth
01-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I dont plan on owning individual stocks for a long time, and even if I do itll be with my "I dont give a rat's ass if I lose all of it" money. (if that ever happens)

I dont try to guess what the market will do or what will be hot next year, I put my eggs into EVERY basket there is, 9 mutual funds right now, will get that up to 15 or more mutual funds later. Large company funds, medium company funds, small company funds, growth, value, mix, and just about every combination of the above. I own a foreign european fund, an asian large company fund, a small amount in a speculative "emerging markets" fund, domestically I also have or will have tech, energy, banking, etc. Funds that are historically stable get a larger portion of the total contribution, and funds that are riskier get a smaller portion. I make sure none of the funds have a load, and that the manager fees in each fund are small compared to their peers.

Every once in a while I'll review the philosophy of each fund to make sure I own what I thought I owned, and sell if necessary. (e.g. I buy a fund because the fund's philosophy is to be a small-company growth fund, and I needed something to fill that slot in my portfolio. Well if they hire a new money manager and the new guy suddenly decides he wants large cap stocks, I'm selling it because I already have a large cap fund, I wanted that money to go to small cap growth) Other than that, I dont panic on performance unless a fund does horribly several years in a row, because something I own, somewhere WILL do poorly every year.

Some funds will go through the roof, some will go through the floor, some will go up modestly, some will go down a bit, but they all tend to offset each other for a decent gain most years.

I'm not going to try to predict what will be the hot fund next year, and so consequently I'm not going to suddenly become a millionaire overnight on paper. However, the only way I lose everything is if the whole friggen market, every single sector, tanks.

Brock
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
This was a nice little ride.

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/1y/t/tie

BIG_DADDY
01-04-2006, 11:50 AM
All the portfolios we manage did well. These are our numbers through November.

Conservative Balanced 6.3%
Balanced 8.6%
Equity Tilted Balanced 10.0%
Equity 11.6%