PDA

View Full Version : Has Athan ever "scooped" anything accurately?

B_Ambuehl
01-04-2006, 10:00 AM
This is a serious question. I haven't been reading chiefs message boards for all that long but in the 9 months that I have, I really can't recall a single thing that Athan actually got right starting with Ed Hartwell last spring. Since then I can remember Hartwell ready to be signed, Samari Rolle ready to be signed, Corey Simon set to coming in and meet with CP, Ty Law about to be signed, Saunders set to be named head coach of detroit by Monday, Vermeil getting run off, and quite a few other things that escape me at the moment. I can't recall a single accurate "scoop".

Anyone ever figured out his batting average?

Saulbadguy
01-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, we needed a new thread about this topic.

jidar
01-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Somebody go through Sauls 21k posts and make sure we don't duplicate any of those threads.

Saulbadguy
01-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Somebody go through Sauls 21k posts and make sure we don't duplicate any of those threads.
Good idea. Get to work on it, jarjar.

SBK
01-04-2006, 10:04 AM
My unnamed sources say he can't even scoop his dogs poop right.

Warrior5
01-04-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm waiting for kcnut to give us the scoop on HC.

Chiefnj
01-04-2006, 10:18 AM
he did once. i don't remember the details, but it was being reported that the chiefs were about to sign a certain player, or did in fact sign him, and then at the last minute the deal fell through. He broke the story first. it wasn't a big name guy - not rolle or hartwell or anyone like that.

Cochise
01-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah, we needed a new thread about this topic.

No kidding. Even if there were something original or new that needed to be posted in this one... which there isn't.

ChiTown
01-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm waiting for kcnut to give us the scoop on HC.

Hermon edwards the bomb. He make trip to KC and talk Carl Pederson. Take it from 'nut, it done deal

Brock
01-04-2006, 10:21 AM
he did once. i don't remember the details, but it was being reported that the chiefs were about to sign a certain player, or did in fact sign him, and then at the last minute the deal fell through. He broke the story first. it wasn't a big name guy - not rolle or hartwell or anyone like that.

Maybe Az Hakim.

B_Ambuehl
01-04-2006, 10:38 AM
ok i remember that one. Az Hakim was in KC and had already signed yet decided to leave at the last minute.

How long has Athan been around anyway?

How about someone write up a play by play of Athan's *scoops* over the last few years? I know this last year sure has some great ones :)

KC Kings
01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
I thought it was Nate Hobgood-Chitick?

As far as breaking a relevant story, I can't recall any. But, he has broken the news on plenty of "x player was spotted at Arrowhead" during the offseason that was later verified to be true. Not much for real news, but there has not been a lot of real Chiefs news to report on between Jan and Jun for the last couple of years.

Phobia
01-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Obviously I'm going to defend the guy, but I won't lie for anybody.

I know he got a lot of stuff wrong last spring, but I'd say he's been strong since then.

He told me about Priest Holmes several days before that news went public and he's been reporting the interest in Herm Edwards for months.

Not all his scoops pan out, naturally. The jury is still out on the Detroit job and he never said "by Monday" he said "as early as Monday".

I think the real question is; how frequently do deals fall through over at One Arrowhead? There is a lot of negotiation that happens over there and shit falls through frequently. Obviously Nick needs to be more careful with how he words his "scoops" but the fact remains that Hartwell, Rolle, and Law were all very strongly pursued by the Chiefs with multiple contract offers on the table and for whatever reason each elected to go elsewhere.

If he were reporting stupid crap that had no basis in fact, I'd be right alongside you beating the "hack" drum.

greg63
01-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Athan who???

jwhit
01-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Phobia, I hate to say it, but Nick is the definition of a hack. I like the guy's passion and effort, but he's a clown. Seriously. You can't blame it on deals falling through at Arrowhead. Nick freaking guesses. He's a bad gambler who keeps upping his bet on the blackjack table in hopes of getting one right.

Phobia
01-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Phobia, I hate to say it, but Nick is the definition of a hack. I like the guy's passion and effort, but he's a clown. Seriously. You can't blame it on deals falling through at Arrowhead. Nick freaking guesses. He's a bad gambler who keeps upping his bet on the blackjack table in hopes of getting one right.

I think you're just saying that because he's a cracker.

58-4ever
01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
I didn't know anything about warpaint until last week. 9.95 a month? what an effin rip for a guy like athan. I would much rather come here for free

PastorMikH
01-04-2006, 11:01 AM
You know, I've been wondering which site would break the news on the hiring of a HC first - PROVIDING a credible link to a MAJOR sports network.

PastorMikH
01-04-2006, 11:04 AM
I didn't know anything about warpaint until last week. 9.95 a month? what an effin rip for a guy like athan. I would much rather come here for free

Right now, if I were going to spend $ on a site for news, it would be KFFL. I miss being able to search. The daily wire is OK, but sometimes it's nice to research back a year or two on a player or coach.

Also, I have never known them to be wrong in what they report. They may not be the first to break the story, but they are very accurate on what they do report.

B_Ambuehl
01-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Actually the first Chiefs message board I found was Athan's so he must pay out some pretty good $$ in advertising through google and such. I was searching about free agent acquisitions last offseason and he had some INSIDE news about Hartwell and Rolle that required a subscription. I searched for more chiefs news sites and about 5 minutes after that I found this board that had the same news for free. :)

StcChief
01-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Back to LACK OF accountablity in the Media.
Based on 24x7 need to have a story. Any Story.

Their word choice is not always the best. Nice to think you can SCOOP a maybe deal. Without accurate facts, it's a guess. Say so or word to make it a real report about what is going on, NOT what is done deal.

I take all as guess or inaccurate report and don't trust any of them anymore.