PDA

View Full Version : Local News is reporting the deal for Edwards consists of 2 mid-round draft picks...

arrowheadnation
01-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I was just watching my local news KWCH Channel 12 in Wichita and they're saying that KC nor Jets officials have confirmed the deal, but that it consists of 2 mid-round draft picks for coach Edwards......just thought you all might want to know.

Dunit35
01-04-2006, 06:34 PM
I was just watching my local news KWCH Channel 12 in Wichita and they're saying that KC nor Jets officials have confirmed the deal, but that it consists of 2 mid-round draft picks for coach Edwards......just thought you all might want to know.

I hate CARL PETERSON!!!!!!!!!!!

recxjake
01-04-2006, 06:35 PM
they will probably wait untill tomorow to announce it....... i think its a good move.... especially if he can swing some of his big players to KC

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Pshah.....I'll gladly give one Rashaan Sheehee and an Eric Downing for Herm. Especially if Herm's presence bring Abraham, Law, and a couple of others along. Heh. :thumb:

Anyday of the week. You gotta remember, we are talking about CP's draft picks here. :banghead:

Brock
01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Giving up draft picks is nothing new to the Chiefs. Kansas City surrendered a second- and a third-round pick when it hired Vermeil, who was technically under contract with St. Louis even though he was retired. Peterson was upset about that, and though he declined to discuss Edwards at a news conference Tuesday, he did say "Any time I have to part with a No. 1 draft choice it's painful."

Dunit35
01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
they will probably wait untill tomorow to announce it....... i think its a good move.... especially if he can swing some of his big players to KC

I bet he doesnt bring anyone. Too bad AS will leave now. I personally think we screwed that one up big time.

Brock
01-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Pshah.....I'll gladly give one Rashaan Sheehee and an Eric Downing for Herm. Especially if Herm's presence bring Abraham, Law, and a couple of others along. Heh. :thumb:

Anyday of the week. You gotta remember, we are talking about CP's draft picks here. :banghead:

How about Jared Allen and Samie Parker?

wolfpack0735
01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
i just hope hermmy doesn`t screw up the offense. i wouldn`t think he would since its powerful and old.

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 06:44 PM
My thoughts can best be summed up with the head-banging smilie. Why are we the only team in the league that voluntarily surrenders draft picks? I'll bet Carl pays for his pizza delivery with draft picks.

Cochise
01-04-2006, 06:44 PM
I am going to start trying to be positive here. It was probably time for a change. Edwards has gotten his team to the playoffs a few times. There's probably more talent here than he's had previously. What's the worst that could happen... no playoff wins for another who knows how many years?

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
How about Jared Allen and Samie Parker?

WHAT???

Carl traded Allen and Parker to the Jets for Herm?

Why that son-of-a-biatch!!! NUTHOOKS!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

:p

Phobia
01-04-2006, 06:47 PM
The compensation stuff is crap. I wouldn't listen to any of it. Most of what we're hearing today is crap. All signs still point to Herm but all the other supposed details are wrong.

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2006, 06:47 PM
My thoughts can best be summed up with the head-banging smilie. Why are we the only team in the league that voluntarily surrenders draft picks? I'll bet Carl pays for his pizza delivery with draft picks.

I suspect without the picks, the Jets would have been content to hold onto Herm for another season--if for no other reason than to spite Peterson. His salary is low, and not much is expected next season anyway....and they could still fire him at the end of next year, or just not renew his contract after the 2007 season.

kcfanintitanhell
01-04-2006, 06:49 PM
I bet he doesnt bring anyone. Too bad AS will leave now. I personally think we screwed that one up big time.

I am hoping, if this does indeed happen, that Edwards is aware of the fact the AS never let Trent audible or call his own plays, and is willing to listen to Trent's input in the offensive scheme. He has been in this system for so long that I wonder if a real bonafide OC is even necessary.

Jafo
01-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Who would you draft in the mid rounds that would be worth more than H. Edwards? No one I can think of that would be worth it left to draft. another Ryan Sims Flounder? I'd rather have a good H. Edwards right now because the pick'ns are slim the way I see it, alot more slim than some mid round draft picks. It all starts with the coach. Edwards is a good coach, he's D-minded and we already have a potent offence in place. He could probably shore up the defense and there you go.

Brock
01-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Who would you draft in the mid rounds that would be worth more than H. Edwards? No one I can think of that would be worth it left to draft. another Ryan Sims Flounder? I'd rather have a good H. Edwards right now because the pick'ns are slim the way I see it, alot more slim than some mid round draft picks. It all starts with the coach. Edwards is a good coach, he's D-minded and we already have a potent offence in place. He could probably shore up the defense and there you go.

Edwards went from secondary coach to head coach. Thinking he is some kind of defensive guru is a reach at best.

harpes
01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Herm Close To Jetting To KC
By Jets Insider.com Staff

mail@jetsinsider.com

January 4th, 2006

Unhappy Herm may be wearing red very soon. (Jets Insider.com Photo)
Various sources are confirming that Jets Head Coach Herman Edwards is close to leaving the team to become the new Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.
Reportedly the only thing holding up the deal is compensation to the Jets in the form of Chiefs draft picks. It's possible that the deal could be completed by late tonight or early tomorrow. The Jets have a press conference scheduled tomorrow at 11AM that was previously scheduled to address the state of the team but it could turn out to be an annoucement that Edwards is moving on. Edwards is reportedly the first choice of retiring Chiefs Head Coach Dick Vermeil to succeed him.

Edwards has denied that he is leaving the Jets but has leaked to several members of the media that he is looking for a contract extension and a raise. He currently has 2 years left on his current deal and is being paid on the lower scale of NFL Head Coaches.

If Edwards does leave, the first two obvious choices to replace him would be either current offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger or defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson. Heimerdinger has more experience but Henderson has shown a lot of potential. In fact, the Jets just gave New Orleans permission to talk to Henderson about their vacant head coaching position. The team would also likely look out of house for candidates as well.

Check back to Jets Insider.com often for updates on this developing story.

Mile High Mania
01-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I just don't understand why Edwards is their focus...

BigRedChief
01-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Nfl.com is reporting the same thing.

Nfl.com doesn't report stuff like this without inside info.

Jets have a press conference scheduled for 10:00 am tommorrow. Herm has already had his end of the year press conference. What could this conference be about? :hmmm:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NYJ/9144020

Halfcan
01-04-2006, 07:02 PM
DV mentioned Herm by name last week as coach of the year? Carl, denies it, Jets deny it-yep he is going to be our coach.

A running game and tough defense=SB

siberian khatru
01-04-2006, 07:18 PM
I just don't understand why Edwards is their focus...

Because Carl personally knows him well, has for many years, and is impressed with his character. Just like Vermeil.

Hoover
01-04-2006, 07:23 PM
The compensation stuff is crap. I wouldn't listen to any of it. Most of what we're hearing today is crap. All signs still point to Herm but all the other supposed details are wrong.
shouldn't that be "may be wrong"

KChiefs1
01-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm listening to WFAN...they are reporting a 4th & a 6th for Edwards.

I can live with that....

Ralphy Boy
01-04-2006, 07:25 PM

Not real happy about losing Al either, but look at the bright side...we'll all get that 3-4 defense we've been longing for.

siberian khatru
01-04-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm listening to WFAN...they are reporting a 4th & a 6th for Edwards.

I can live with that....

Better than 3 and 5. Still don't like surrendering 2 picks for him.

Although, Jon Gruden had a similar record, Tampa bet the house on him and he delivered in Year 1.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 07:30 PM

If you have your own independant sources then I apologize, but if your earpiece is Athan then I find it highly hysterical that you would advise against listening to what actual media has to say.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Better than 3 and 5. Still don't like surrendering 2 picks for him.

Although, Jon Gruden had a similar record, Tampa bet the house on him and he delivered in Year 1.

I like it.

I like getting a coach that can win in the playoffs and has won in the playoffs on the road recently.

siberian khatru
01-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I like it.

I can live with it.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Edwards went from secondary coach to head coach. Thinking he is some kind of defensive guru is a reach at best.

Andy Reid went from QB coach to HC and I think he's a decent offensive coach.

I like Herm a lot. I've said that numerous times here. Playing in a division with the Pats and making the playoffs consistently is no easy task.

The only problem I have is that he'll likely keep Gunther.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
I can live with it.

I'm not thrilled with giving up picks. But last year, Carl handed over a 5 for Carlos Hall and he got one sack.

I like it because Herm is my top choice.

siberian khatru
01-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I like it because Herm is my top choice.

I didn't realize that. Or else I forgot.

You need to post more, Frank. :)

RedThat
01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Andy Reid went from QB coach to HC and I think he's a decent offensive coach.

I like Herm a lot. I've said that numerous times here. Playing in a division with the Pats and making the playoffs consistently is no easy task.

The only problem I have is that he'll likely keep Gunther.

If Donnie Henderson doesn't end up with a HC job elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if he followed Herm to KC.

Herzig
01-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Let's call the governor and have him send over a new sheriff...

JohnnyV13
01-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Go and study old drafts over many years. Identify the future star players. You will find that in most drafts about half of them are taken in the first round. But, surprisingly, they are fairly evenly distributed thereafter through each of the later rounds. That means giving up those mid rounders is giving up chances in the lottery.

Lets just use the chiefs and look at some of our mid rounders over the last 10 years:

Donnie Edwards 4th (darn, totally useless player)
Joe Horn 5th round. (worthless, isn't he?)

Greg Favors 4th rd (we cut him, it was a mistake. Decent starter and solid backup who is still in the league with J-ville)

Dante Hall 5th rd (yeah, he didn't have a good year, but do you want to ditch him?)

Scott Fujita 5th (really isn't a bad player. Started on a good dallas D, but no world beater)

Jared Allen 4th (a star player)
Samie Parker 4th (no. 2 WR, if you extrapolate his stats for his 4 injured games he would have had 700yds receiving this season)

But we have pulled 3 star level players (Edwards, Horn and Allen)
out of the mid rounds in the last 10 years (4 if you include Dante's run as the NFL's best return man).

Bull
01-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I just hope Chiefs remain offensive!!