PDA

View Full Version : What is the most impressive record in professional football?

Rain Man
01-04-2006, 07:06 PM
It can be an individual record, a team record, a career record, a season record, an individual game record - anything you want. It need not even be a record, but rather an individual accomplishment. But what is the record that most makes you go 'wow'?

If we get a bunch of good candidates, I'll post it as a poll.

Here are a couple of lists of NFL records.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0909367.html

For me, the most impressive is Reggie White's career sack record. The guy played for 15 years and recorded 198 sacks - 13 sacks per year on average for 15 years, and in many of those he was a defensive tackle. Amazing. Bruce Smith actually holds the record, but played three years longer and was always a defensive end. To me, White's stats are much more impressive.

In second place, I'd have to go with Jim Brown averaging 5.2 yards per carry for his entire career. Barry Sanders is second at 5.0, and no one else among the top guys is over 4.9.

Another impressive record is Dan Marino's career touchdown record. He's got 420 touchdown passes, averaging 26 a year for 16 years. He's 44 touchdowns ahead of the second place guy (Favre), and 78 ahead of the third place guy (Tarkenton).

JBucc
01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Another impressive record is Dan Marino's career touchdown record. He's got 420 touchdown passes, averaging 26 a year for 16 years. He's 44 touchdowns ahead of the second place guy (Favre), and 78 ahead of the third place guy (Tarkenton).
I think those stats are before this year, Farve has 396 TD's now

ChiefsfaninPA
01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I think Favre's streak is pretty amazing. Especially playing that position. Though if a RB could do that, that would be even more amazing.

B2chiefsfan
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Chief fan's time of suffering through the King Carl 5 year plan.

Halfcan
01-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Brett is only 24 back and will own that record if he comes back. The yardage record for Marino might stand forever though.

Halfcan
01-04-2006, 07:14 PM
PH TD record will never be broken though.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-04-2006, 07:19 PM
PH TD record will never be broken though.

Actually, I have a feeling in the year 2006. On the first day of the year to be exact, a RB named Shaun Alexander will break it.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Actually, I have a feeling in the year 2006. On the first day of the year to be exact, a RB named Shaun Alexander will break it.

Just a feeling though.

milkman
01-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I can't get behind White's sack record, since they only starting keeping sack records in the 70s.

I'll go with Jim Brown.

siberian khatru
01-04-2006, 07:21 PM
For me, the most impressive is Reggie White's career sack record. The guy played for 15 years and recorded 198 sacks - 13 sacks per year on average for 15 years, and in many of those he was a defensive tackle. Amazing. Bruce Smith actually holds the record, but played three years longer and was always a defensive end. To me, White's stats are much more impressive.

I've always heard that Deacon Jones probably got more sacks than both of them, but it wasn't kept as an official stat back then.

Plus, he appeared on The Brady Bunch.

RedThat
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Derrick Thomas recording 7 sacks in a game is impressive. Not only that, but to do it twice!!!...That is unbelievable

Skip Towne
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM
It can be an individual record, a team record, a career record, a season record, an individual game record - anything you want. It need not even be a record, but rather an individual accomplishment. But what is the record that most makes you go 'wow'?

If we get a bunch of good candidates, I'll post it as a poll.

Here are a couple of lists of NFL records.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/

http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0909367.html

In second place, I'd have to go with Jim Brown averaging 5.2 yards per carry for his entire career. Barry Sanders is second at 5.0, and no one else among the top guys is over 4.9.

Hold on there, Pilgrim, aren't you forgetting Mercury Morris and his career 5.1?

RedThat
01-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Team record:

Gotta go with the '72 Dolphins undefeated season. It looks as if that record will be permanent!

gblowfish
01-04-2006, 07:32 PM
OJ getting away with killing 2 people is pretty impressive...

listopencil
01-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Team record:

Gotta go with the '72 Dolphins undefeated season. It looks as if that record will be permanent!

Yep. A lot of those individual records are amazing but the ultimate is for a team to go completely undefeated.

plbrdude
01-04-2006, 08:08 PM
i'm curious as to how many years the raiders have led the league in penalties.

DTLB58
01-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Johnny Unitas' consecutive game with a td pass 56 I believe.

Favre's consecutive games played record 220+

Paul Krause 81 career interceptions

Yea, I would have to say DT's 7 sacks in one game. You'd think after 4-5 they would block the guy. :)

Bills 4 consecutive super Bowl apperances. Even if they were all losses to me that's amazing.

Boozer
01-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Team record:

Damn, and I was going to be a smartass and post "16-0."

Boozer
01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Least impressive individual record: Jerry Rice, 274 consecutive games with a reception. With Joe Montana pitching the ball in a West Coast offense, it's a long hand-off. Whoop-de-doo.

Valiant
01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Derrick Thomas recording 7 sacks in a game is impressive. Not only that, but to do it twice!!!...That is unbelievable

When did he do it agian.. I think he had a 6 sack game, but not another 7...

dj56dt58
01-04-2006, 08:48 PM
DT 7 sacks in one game and 6 in another

for Team i'd have to go with the Chiefs offense the past 4-5 years and all the streaks and records that they have set..amazing Not just the records but streaks as well like Will Shields games played streak..

chiefsfaninNC
01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Todd Blackledge for sucking worse in the broadcast booth than on the field.

RedThat
01-04-2006, 08:57 PM
When did he do it agian.. I think he had a 6 sack game, but not another 7...

Didn't he do it against the Raiders when they had Jeff George?

Wasnt it against the Raiders in '98 on a Sunday Nighter home opener? I remember...It was either 6 or 7....But, who cares? Still impressive!

dj56dt58
01-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Didn't he do it against the Raiders when they had Jeff George?

Wasnt it against the Raiders in '98 on a Sunday Nighter home opener? I remember...It was either 6 or 7....But, who cares? Still impressive!
I know he had 7 against Seattle, I believe that was Sunday Night Football. Then he had 6 against someone else though I don't remember who.

DJay23
01-04-2006, 10:21 PM
I know he had 7 against Seattle, I believe that was Sunday Night Football. Then he had 6 against someone else though I don't remember who.
The 7 came versus Seattle in '90 on a Sunday afternoon. Sack #8 got away and Dave Krieg threw the game winning TD as time expired to Paul Skansi.

That 6 sack game was versus the Raiders on one of the first Sunday nights in 98. It was the same game George was absolutely CRUSHED by Leslie O'Neal as he tried to take off with the ball.

KCChiefsMan
01-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Least impressive individual record: Jerry Rice, 274 consecutive games with a reception. With Joe Montana pitching the ball in a West Coast offense, it's a long hand-off. Whoop-de-doo.

thats just stupid, Rice might be the most impressive record, 22,000+ yards, 1,500+ receptions, 207 TDs, That is one record that will never be broken.

1972 Dolphins record is also amazing,

Reggie Whites stats are amazing

those are probably the 3 best if you ask me, Marino is up there but with zero championships its hard to call that guy a great

Skip Towne
01-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Todd Blackledge for sucking worse in the broadcast booth than on the field.
Exactly. And he is an asshole as well.

Saulbadguy
01-04-2006, 10:57 PM
How about the biggest deficit overcome in a game?