PDA

View Full Version : Herm - HC = Goonther - DC?

dtebbe
01-04-2006, 09:38 PM
I think Carl wants to hire someone that "owes" him something so he can insist on keeping goonther. Regardless of who we hire for HC, keeping goonther will be a huge mistake.

DT

Douche Baggins
01-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Well one report says he would bring Donnie Henderson with him.

Donnie's a far superior defensive coordinator, that'd be just fine with me.

jAZ
01-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't get why people are hating on Gunther as a DC. He improved our defense.

Braincase
01-04-2006, 09:46 PM

And he did it with Robinson's assistant coaches.

Reaper16
01-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Kendrell Bell covering #1 recievers, Surtain playing 10 yards off of recievers, calling plays predicated on pressure up the middle which we can't create, etc.

Douche Baggins
01-04-2006, 09:47 PM

The only thing that improved our defense last season was the new players. Gunther gets credit for Kawika and pretty much nothing else.

penguinz
01-04-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't get why people are hating on Gunther as a DC. He improved our defense.Our D ranked just a few spots higher than last season. Is highly likely that is because of the added speed and not because of the skoal dipping german.

BigRock
01-04-2006, 09:48 PM
If DV's people get cleared out and Herm lets Gunther pick his own assistants, I have no problem with him staying.

cmh6476
01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
We just need another corner that can line up with team's No. 3's and push Warfield and Surtain, and then a big fatass DT and this defense will be good.

Gunther has no control over our player's talents.

B2chiefsfan
01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
If DV's people get cleared out and Herm lets Gunther pick his own assistants, I have no problem with him staying.

Ditto

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
All I want, if Gunther is retained, is for him to slap Surtain on the other team's #1 and for CORNERBACKS to cover receivers when running backs go out into the flat.

I'm sick of having linebackers on receivers.

milkman
01-04-2006, 09:55 PM
All I want, if Gunther is retained, is for him to slap Surtain on the other team's #1 and for CORNERBACKS to cover receivers when running backs go out into the flat.

And 7 yard cushions.

Douche Baggins
01-04-2006, 09:57 PM

That would be great.

I guess we need a head coach to hold our defensive coordinators hand.

milkman
01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
That would be great.

I guess we need a head coach to hold our defensive coordinators hand.

Or kick him in the ass!

KCChiefsFan88
01-04-2006, 10:35 PM

25th in total defense, 30th against the pass and the Dallas, NY Giants and Philly games.

Where is the improvement?

Cochise
01-04-2006, 10:42 PM

Ditto.

However, Gun has got to be on thin ice this year in any case.

Logical
01-04-2006, 10:44 PM
I would prefer Donnie Henderson if we end up with Herm. Whatever happens, Guinta must, absolutely must be gone.

jAZ
01-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Our D ranked just a few spots higher than last season. Is highly likely that is because of the added speed and not because of the skoal dipping german.
What are you talking about? We were 8 points/game better than last year.

Tribal Warfare
01-04-2006, 11:12 PM
What are you talking about? We were 8 points/game better than last year.

All hail eight points ROFL

25th ranked didn't cut it this year, and their's no excuse concerning their poor performance on the road PERIOD!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

dj56dt58
01-04-2006, 11:21 PM

Or how about this approach..Put Surtain on the other team's #2, and Warfield on the #1. Surtain can shut his guy down and we can slide help over to Warfields side to help on the #1 reciever...This would work better if we could get a pass rush from our D-line so we can drop more guys into coverage instead of blitzing so much.

grandllama
01-04-2006, 11:31 PM
25th in total defense, 30th against the pass and the Dallas, NY Giants and Philly games.

I do believe most teams had to punt against us this year.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Or how about this approach..Put Surtain on the other team's #2, and Warfield on the #1. Surtain can shut his guy down and we can slide help over to Warfields side to help on the #1 reciever...This would work better if we could get a pass rush from our D-line so we can drop more guys into coverage instead of blitzing so much.

The point is not to slide help anywhere.

And this makes no sense.

Put Surtain on the other team's best receiver. Put Warfield on the #2 and be done with it.

ChiefsFanatic
01-05-2006, 12:31 AM
And he did it with Robinson's assistant coaches.

The fact that he was not allowed to hire any of his own coaches seems not to matter to the bashers. Gun was probably the only DC that would have taken the job with that stipulation.

grandllama
01-05-2006, 12:34 AM
The fact that he was not allowed to hire any of his own coaches seems not to matter to the bashers. Gun was probably the only DC that would have taken the job with that stipulation.

I would assume that Gun took the job because he felt he had unfinished business here.... that is STILL not finished... I worry about Gun leaving just because he may go to an AFCW rival and decide to finish the job there (against us)....

//still thinks Gun is a nasty individual

BCD
01-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Well one report says he would bring Donnie Henderson with him.

Donnie's a far superior defensive coordinator, that'd be just fine with me.Maybe he'll bring Ty Law with him, too...
:)

BCD
01-05-2006, 01:28 AM
The only thing that improved our defense last season was the new players. Gunther gets credit for Kawika and pretty much nothing else.I'm off the Gun bandwagon, but I'll give him J. Allen, too...

jjchieffan
01-05-2006, 02:08 AM

top 10 against the run, the second Denver game, the second San Diego game, and the Cinncy game come to mind. And oh yeah, they just shaved 7 points per game allowed off of last seasons total. If you want to pick and choose games to run down the defense, then the teams we played against in the last 9 weeks must have awful defenses too, because none of them could stop LJ

The Bad Guy
01-05-2006, 02:15 AM
top 10 against the run, the second Denver game, the second San Diego game, and the Cinncy game come to mind. And oh yeah, they just shaved 7 points per game allowed off of last seasons total. If you want to pick and choose games to run down the defense, then the teams we played against in the last 9 weeks must have awful defenses too, because none of them could stop LJ

Is there any lenghts you won't go to to defend Gunther?

Seriously, it's old already. Are you related, in love, something?

What about the Dallas, Philly, and Giant games? Do they matter?

Of course he shaved 7 points off last season, that was one of the worst defenses ever.

I'm sick of Chief fans acting like 25th ranked is something to be happy about.

It's not. It sucks.

jjchieffan
01-05-2006, 02:16 AM
All hail eight points ROFL

25th ranked didn't cut it this year, and their's no excuse concerning their poor performance on the road PERIOD!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

Gunther haters=Fatlock
8 points is significant. I dont care if the defense gives up 500 yards a game as long as they are not allowing scores.. on second thought, GRob's defense did that one year. worked great as long as they were forcing tunovers. Point is, there was improvement this year. You haters just refuse to acknowlege it. Blowing off the fact that the defense cut 7-8 points allowed off of the total is equivilant to fatlock giving colquitt an F and blowing off his punts inside the 20.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Gunther's scoring average is only good because we beat up on weak teams.

Robinson did that, too.

Gunther's D is no better than Robinson's was in 2003.

jjchieffan
01-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Is there any lenghts you won't go to to defend Gunther?

Seriously, it's old already. Are you related, in love, something?

What about the Dallas, Philly, and Giant games? Do they matter?

Of course he shaved 7 points off last season, that was one of the worst defenses ever.

I'm sick of Chief fans acting like 25th ranked is something to be happy about.

It's not. It sucks.

I never said I was happy with 25th. What I have said is that the defense has shown enough improvement to justify keeping Gunther. Obviously the defense has not yet arrived to where it needs to be. I believe that next year it will. And seriously, I am not related, in love, or something. I just wonder why you are so absolutely against him. You make it seem like he did something to you personally, like screw your mom or something. You refuse to acknowledge any accomplishments, and continue to dogpile about a couple of bad games. Yeah they blew it against the Giants. Tiki Barber is the rushing champion, get over it. They also shut down LT. That shows some inconsistency, which will most likely be improved next season. If not, I will be siding with you then, but not yet.

Rausch
01-05-2006, 02:26 AM

Dumbest post of the day...

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 02:33 AM
Dumbest post of the day...

Dude, it's true.

Robinson's defense beat up on shitty teams and allowed about the same number of points as Gunther's.

In fact Robinson's defense could be considered SUPERIOR because it forced a hell of a lot more turnovers.

You think Indianapolis wouldn't kick our defenses ass in the playoffs?

jjchieffan
01-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Gunther's scoring average is only good because we beat up on weak teams.

Robinson did that, too.

We beat up on weak teams??? Are you kidding me??? We had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL.
Scoring Offense
Giants #3
Cinnci #4
SD #5
Denver #7
Washington #13
Dallas #15
Miami #16

That is 9 games against teams in the top half of the league in scoring.

Rausch
01-05-2006, 02:37 AM
You think Indianapolis wouldn't kick our defenses ass in the playoffs?

I know that Gun took THE EXACT SAME DEFENSE the next year and beat the Colts by 10 pts.

Same field.

SAME PLAYERS.

To compare, arguably, the worst defense to EVER paly in the NFL to this year's bad defense is moronic.

No, we were not what whe should have been. Big let down. Yes, Gun should take responsibility for it.

But it is NOWHERE near the abortion that GROB fielded....

The Bad Guy
01-05-2006, 02:39 AM
I never said I was happy with 25th. What I have said is that the defense has shown enough improvement to justify keeping Gunther. Obviously the defense has not yet arrived to where it needs to be. I believe that next year it will. And seriously, I am not related, in love, or something. I just wonder why you are so absolutely against him. You make it seem like he did something to you personally, like screw your mom or something. You refuse to acknowledge any accomplishments, and continue to dogpile about a couple of bad games. Yeah they blew it against the Giants. Tiki Barber is the rushing champion, get over it. They also shut down LT. That shows some inconsistency, which will most likely be improved next season. If not, I will be siding with you then, but not yet.

I know Gunther, I have a small history with the guy. I like him as a person, but his time here has passed.

Tiki Barber isn't a rushing champion. They didn't blow it, they gave up over 200 yards in the biggest game of the season. That's ridiculous.

LT wasn't nearly 100% when we shut him down.

Moving up 7 spots in total defense isn't enough for me. He talked a big game about righting the ship and then didn't produce.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2006, 02:41 AM
I know that Gun took THE EXACT SAME DEFENSE the next year and beat the Colts by 10 pts.

Same field.

SAME PLAYERS.

To compare, arguably, the worst defense to EVER paly in the NFL to this year's bad defense is moronic.

No, we were not what whe should have been. Big let down. Yes, Gun should take responsibility for it.

But it is NOWHERE near the abortion that GROB fielded....

I agree with you. Comparing G-Rob to Gunther is like comparing Jimmy Raye to Al Saunders.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 02:42 AM

ROFL

The Colts still scored 35 points.

If our offense had scored 45 points in that playoff game they would have WON!

Gunther's best defense = GROB's best defense.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 02:44 AM
We beat up on weak teams??? Are you kidding me??? We had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL.
Scoring Offense
Giants #3
Cinnci #4
SD #5
Denver #7
Washington #13
Dallas #15
Miami #16

That is 9 games against teams in the top half of the league in scoring.

Houston, Oakland x2, Miami, Buffalo, the Jets.

Hell, the Cowboys offense wasn't too great this year and they shredded us.

Gunther sucks.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 02:45 AM

By the way, the 2002 Chiefs were worse.

2002 Chiefs D = 2004 Chiefs D

2003 Chiefs D = 2005 Chiefs D

Rausch
ROFL

The Colts still scored 35 points.

If our offense had scored 45 points in that playoff game they would have WON!

Gunther's best defense = GROB's best defense.

And how many turnovers did GROBS vaunted TO defense nab that PO game?

Sacks?

Tackles for loss?

Punts?

Exactly...

DaWolf
Gun will definitely be retained. Keep this in mind: two years ago when Gun was on the market, three teams called and offered him a contract. One was us. Another was Atlanta. The third was none other than the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets. Henderson was their second choice. Herm wanted Gun, and now he's gonna get him, for better or for worse...

jjchieffan
01-05-2006, 02:47 AM
I know Gunther, I have a small history with the guy. I like him as a person, but his time here has passed.

Tiki Barber isn't a rushing champion. They didn't blow it, they gave up over 200 yards in the biggest game of the season. That's ridiculous.

LT wasn't nearly 100% when we shut him down.

Moving up 7 spots in total defense isn't enough for me. He talked a big game about righting the ship and then didn't produce.

See what I mean. You would rather maje excuses for LT, than give Gunther any credit for stopping him. typical. I feel like I am arguing with a child, or worse, with my wife, who knows so little about football that she actually asked where the yellow line marking first down was the first time I took her to a game.

Douche Baggins
And how many turnovers did GROBS vaunted TO defense nab that PO game?

Sacks?

Tackles for loss?

Punts?

Exactly...

Who cares? If the Chiefs offense hadn't rolled up almost SIX HUNDRED YARDS that day, we'd have lost.

I'm betting six hundred yards would have won that playoff game, too. Instead of dropped passes and missed field goals.

tk13
I know the results don't necessarily indicate it, but even Peyton Manning did say before our meeting in 2004 that with Gun back our D "actually looked like a defense" or something like that. He'd be the guy to know, I guess. I can't really argue with that. I think we're better, but we didn't get to the point where we needed to be at the end of two seasons, and that is on Gun's head.

At least GRob's defenses forced more turnovers though. The one thing I'd give credit to Gunther for is at least we hit people now. We put a helmet on people better than we have in a long time this last season. I do not think our defense is soft for once. Might not execute or be coached well at all times but most of the time we hit people, hard. I think the New England and Denver games were great in that regard. We beat teams down. Gave up a lot of points against Denver but we totally beat them down physically, so much so that LJ was running wild and they couldn't even gain a yard on a 4th and 1 against our D at the end, and that might be the best "running the ball/stopping the run" team in the league.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 02:49 AM
I know the results don't necessarily indicate it, but even Peyton Manning did say before our meeting in 2004 that with Gun back our D "actually looked like a defense" or something like that. He'd be the guy to know, I guess. I can't really argue with that.

At least GRob's defenses forced more turnovers though. The one thing I'd give credit to Gunther for is at least we hit people now. We put a helmet on people better than we have in a long time this last season. I do not think our defense is soft for once. Might not execute or be coached well at all times but most of the time we hit people, hard. I think the New England and Denver games were great in that regard. We beat teams down. Gave up a lot of points against Denver but we totally beat them down physically, so much so that LJ was running wild and they couldn't even gain a yard on a 4th and 1 against our D at the end, and that was the difference.

I agree with that but results are results.

Also Manning isn't going to come out and put down an opponent. Only dumb jocks who can't control their mouths do that.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2006, 02:50 AM
See what I mean. You would rather maje excuses for LT, than give Gunther any credit for stopping him. typical. I feel like I am arguing with a child, or worse, with my wife, who knows so little about football that she actually asked where the yellow line marking first down was the first time I took her to a game.

Make excuses? The guy had to take a shot in his ribs and wear a flak jacket in order to play. You want to praise the guy for shutting down an injured running back?

Are you going to praise your child when they bring home D's too? Hey, just as long as they show improvement, right?

I feel like I'm arguing with someone who is blind. I've forgotten more about football than you will ever know. So you can spare me with the analogy that you're arguing with your wife, or child.

Your mancrush is disgusting.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Make excuses? The guy had to take a shot in his ribs and wear a flak jacket in order to play. You want to praise the guy for shutting down an injured running back?

Robinson did pretty well against LT, too. And the field wasn't a mudhole.

tk13
01-05-2006, 02:52 AM
I agree with that but results are results.

Also Manning isn't going to come out and put down an opponent. Only dumb jocks who can't control their mouths do that.
Yeah I understand that, I forget the exact quote, it was just the way he said it. I mean it was almost like a shot at Robinson and how the defense was so easy to figure out before... which really, he had a point, Manning totally outcoached the guy just months earlier, it was embarrassing. That might be the single most embarrassing thing I've ever seen in the NFL.

The Bad Guy
01-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Yeah I understand that, I forget the exact quote, it was just the way he said it. I mean it was almost like a shot at Robinson and how the defense was so easy to figure out before... which really, he had a point, Manning totally outcoached the guy just months earlier, it was embarrassing. That might be the single most embarrassing thing I've ever seen in the NFL.

It definitely was.

Sitting in the stands watching Peyton Manning point at defenders and tell his line where they were going was disgusting.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 02:57 AM
It definitely was.

Sitting in the stands watching Peyton Manning point at defenders and tell his line where they were going was disgusting.

The thing is they essentially did just that in the second half of the game against Gunther. They lined up in max protection and ran play fakes, and we bit on almost every single one with a 17-point lead.

In the Robinson game they were taking small chunks over and over and over. In Gunther's they were taking huge ones.

Rausch
01-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Who cares?

Understood.

Stats like turnovers, sacks, forced fumbles, and punts only matter when it backs up your opinion.

Got it.

jjchieffan
01-05-2006, 03:03 AM
Houston, Oakland x2, Miami, Buffalo, the Jets.

Hell, the Cowboys offense wasn't too great this year and they shredded us.

Gunther sucks.

The Cowboys were 15th, not great, but hardly weak. And that was Drew Bledsoe out there, not Kelly Holcombe. and dont forget that Parcells, a future HOFer was calling the plays. Also, Miami finidhed 16th, so they arent all that weak either.

tk13
01-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Understood.

Stats like turnovers, sacks, forced fumbles, and punts only matter when it backs up your opinion.

Got it.
Don't kid yourself, he has gone to the Taco John school of arguing, and he has learned well...

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Understood.

Got it.

So you were thrilled with giving up 35 points that day, eh? ROFL

You're a total homer on this issue. If Robinson gave up 35 points and we got a few sacks you wouldn't give a shit.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 03:06 AM
The Cowboys were 15th, not great, but hardly weak. And that was Drew Bledsoe out there, not Kelly Holcombe. and dont forget that Parcells, a future HOFer was calling the plays. Also, Miami finidhed 16th, so they arent all that weak either.

Got it. GUNTHER RULES!

grandllama
01-05-2006, 03:08 AM

You're a total homer on this issue. If Robinson gave up 35 points and we got a few sacks you wouldn't give a shit.

Um, you may have been banned back when Brad chimed in on this issue...

Rausch
01-05-2006, 03:09 AM

Yeah, I'm a homer.

Gun didn't get it done this year. There were flashes, and mostly let downs.

Our run defense was pretty solid, our LB's were MUCH better, but we still puked way too many pts.

Gun should be held responsible. He got his guys, and frankly, with the talent we had we should have been a good 5 to 10 places better in pts allowed.

Easy.

We weren't.

But by no means does bad equate to the worst EVER...

jjchieffan
01-05-2006, 03:12 AM
Got it. GUNTHER RULES!

Good to see you are catching on ROFL

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 03:14 AM
But by no means does bad equate to the worst EVER...

The 2003 defense was NOT the worst ever.

2005 defense: 20.3 points per game

2003 defense: 20.8 points per game

2005 defense: 31 turnovers

2003 defense: 37 turnovers

grandllama
01-05-2006, 03:18 AM
I'm torn on all of this... I agree with GC about Hermie, but I disagree with GC about Gunther...

I really believe that GC went off the deep end after the Giants game and has spewed very non GC like hatred towards Gun.

... and if someone would have told me two years ago my very self image would be based upon agreeing or disagreeing with GC, I would have shot myself.

Screw it, I'm going to go do another shot and go to bed. I fully assume I will wake up with the breaking news of Hermie being hired, Gun being retained and GC being arrested at MCI muttering something about saviors, 25th ranked defenses, and death to Carl...

tk13
01-05-2006, 03:18 AM
The 2003 defense was NOT the worst ever.

2005 defense: 20.3 points per game

2003 defense: 20.8 points per game

2005 defense: 31 turnovers

2003 defense: 37 turnovers
You know the difference, don't you? If Gun had Maz in there we would've allowed 11 points per game and destroyed everyone. :)

Rausch
01-05-2006, 03:22 AM
I fully assume I will wake up with the breaking news of Hermie being hired, Gun being retained and GC being arrested at MCI muttering something about saviors, 25th ranked defenses, and death to Carl...

You will.

Only he'll be giving away free books proclaiming that only the 25,000 people who want Gun fired will get into heaven...

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 03:23 AM
You know the difference, don't you? If Gun had Maz in there we would've allowed 11 points per game and destroyed everyone. :)

Points per game with Maz: 16.6 :)

15.7 if you take out the INT return Pittsburgh had and the safety we allowed against Buffalo.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 03:26 AM
You will.

Only he'll be giving away free books proclaiming that only the 25,000 people who want Gun fired will get into heaven...

I'm going to cut off Herman Edwards ear and betray him for 30 pieces of silver.

Rausch
01-05-2006, 03:26 AM

15.7 if you take out the INT return Pittsburgh had and the safety we allowed against Buffalo.

Yards allowed with Rausch as DC: 0.0

Rausch
01-05-2006, 03:28 AM
I'm going to cut off Herman Edwards ear and betray him for 30 pieces of silver.

It doesn't matter.

He'll rise in 3 days, take us to the playoffs, and lead us out of our 30 years of completely lost...

tk13
01-05-2006, 03:32 AM

I'm well aware of the numbers. The one that really is surprising is the turnovers. We were on a near record pace before he went out. And he wasn't a big turnover guy himself, but I guess he was pretty good at making adjustments at the line or something. We had like 27 turnovers with him, like 8 without him. He definiely looked bad out there sometimes but those turnover numbers are darn impressive for any defense.

htismaqe
01-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Rhonda Moss and others are reporting that if Herm comes, he'll bring Donnie Henderson with him.

htismaqe
01-05-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm well aware of the numbers. The one that really is surprising is the turnovers. We were on a near record pace before he went out. And he wasn't a big turnover guy himself, but I guess he was pretty good at making adjustments at the line or something. We had like 27 turnovers with him, like 8 without him. He definiely looked bad out there sometimes but those turnover numbers are darn impressive for any defense.

There's another "loss" that took place about the same time.

William Bartee CAME BACK as a starting CB.

That had alot to do with it, probably moreso than Maz.

Brock
01-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Rhonda Moss and others are reporting that if Herm comes, he'll bring Donnie Henderson with him.

As assistant HC, I think.

Douche Baggins
01-05-2006, 08:22 AM
There's another "loss" that took place about the same time.

William Bartee CAME BACK as a starting CB.

That had alot to do with it, probably moreso than Maz.

I don't recall that. I recall him coming back as the nickel corner.

htismaqe
01-05-2006, 08:42 AM
I don't recall that. I recall him coming back as the nickel corner.

NCB = starter

But he also played on the outside as well.

Look at it this way. Jerome Woods turned the tide in the Pittsburgh game and single-handedly won the Green Bay game with INT returns for TD.

He had both while playing NCB. How many INT's did he have after being moved back to safety?

Exactly.

htismaqe
01-05-2006, 08:43 AM
As assistant HC, I think.

As DC AND Assist. HC.

patteeu
01-05-2006, 09:14 AM
As DC AND Assist. HC.

She said it might be as defensive backs coach and Asst. HC when the morning host speculated that Henderson's arrival would mean the end of Gunther in KC.

htismaqe
01-05-2006, 09:24 AM
She said it might be as defensive backs coach and Asst. HC when the morning host speculated that Henderson's arrival would mean the end of Gunther in KC.

Damn. I thought she said DC and asst HC.