PDA

View Full Version : 4th & 2 at Midfield, WHY was Bush on the side-line?

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 07:16 AM
If you are gonna telegraph what you intend to do, like Carroll did (dive, slant/out, or roll-out), to the opposing team in that situation by leaving Bush on the side, why not at least punt the ball and make Texas go the length of the field?

Was it because:

1. Carroll was arrogant: "We're the two-time reining national champions, and you can't stop us."

2. Carroll had a brain-fart, and forgot that having Bush on the field would give the Texas defense a helluva a lot more to think about.

3. Texas just got lucky.

I had real mixed feelings about the game, cause I've been something of a Trojan fan since '83, yet I always enjoy seeing the Big 8/SWC/Big 12 do well. I gotta admit, I was kinda cheerin' for Texas last night....maybe it's the underdog thing. :hmmm:

Frosty
01-05-2006, 07:21 AM
USC absolutely gave that game away. Going for it on the 15 instead of taking the FG. Bush and that incredibly stupid lateral. Not putting the game in the hands of your playmaker to ice the game (should have punted there anyway). Blitzing up the middle on 4th and 5 when Young had kept burning them before by running.

I think Carroll was drunk. :shake:

cadmonkey
01-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I have been a semi-Texas fan for quite a long time, Huge Miami fan, and hoped to see the Horns win yesterday. Unfortunatly because I took some cold medicine last night I passed out in the third quater and missed the whole end of the game and missed said play, but I would say that he felt with a short yardage and bush in the game Texas would stack the line and stop the play. With Bush on the side line they would play pass more as an option.

the Talking Can
01-05-2006, 07:23 AM
They had been gashing UT up the middle all night. I thought they'd convert easily.

But, it was probably some arrogance as well.

Hoover
01-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Bush had a bad night, didn't run well like he shoud have.

I agree, USC should have kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th down early in the game. Also they should have had one dude on Young all night.

Frosty
01-05-2006, 07:27 AM
I have never seen the USC defense play so scared. Young basically either threw the out or to the TE in the middle. You would think that they would have at least ONCE manned up and jumped that route. Instead, they went into full pussy mode and played a very soft zone all night. :shake:

Skip Towne
01-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Bush had a bad night, didn't run well like he shoud have.

I agree, USC should have kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th down early in the game. Also they should have had one dude on Young all night.
One dude can't stop Young.

nascher
Bush is not jesus !!! White ran well inside and Bush couldn't do anything.

Hoover
One dude can't stop Young.
I agree, but you spy him all night

Ari Chi3fs
01-05-2006, 07:33 AM
I thought that exact same thing, Why the **** isnt the HEISMAN trophy winner in the fuggin game with 4 and 2... shit, worst case, he is a decoy...

Good thread, Kotter.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Bush is not jesus !!! White ran well inside and Bush couldn't do anything.

I don't think you are understanding me....run the same play, fine; however, Bush's mere presence on the field changes how Texas defends that play.

Split Bush out, set him in motion, use him as a decoy even...whatever....you do THAT, and I guarantee that Safety is not in the box to stop that dive like Texas did last night, and USC gets the first down to run out the clock.

Chiefnj
01-05-2006, 07:35 AM
I thought it was a gutsy call. You get the first down, and the game is over. If you don't make it you still have to play defense, maybe they gain 25 yards in field position with a punt, but they risk Texas making a good return.

They had been running up the gut with relative ease. They had a lot of difficulty running the perimeter. I thought it was the right call and I thought they had a very, very good chance to make it.

Congrats to Vince Young. That was an amazing performance that made you say Reggie who?

Iowanian
01-05-2006, 07:36 AM
White looked like a hell of alot better back between the tackles to me. He was gashing the Texas D all night, and in that situation, I think thats who I'd have had in the game as coach.

Bush has alot of chrome. He's shiny and fast and a pretty pace car....but in that situation, they should have used the Station Wagon.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 07:39 AM
White looked like a hell of alot better back between the tackles to me. He was gashing the Texas D all night, and in that situation, I think thats who I'd have had in the game as coach.

Bush has alot of chrome. He's shiny and fast and a pretty pace car....but in that situation, they should have used the Station Wagon.

I agree, White was the better choice to give the ball too; but to not have Bush on the field....even as a decoy, to draw the defense's attention? To me, that was inexcusable.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-05-2006, 08:11 AM
I have never seen the USC defense play so scared.

I've never seen USC's defense play a team with a good offense. Look what happened when they did. As for Bush not being in, that is all Petey. And some guys were lobbying for him to come here. He would've kept LJ on the sidelines or not used him....oh wait AS already does that from time to time.

Chief Henry
01-05-2006, 08:17 AM
I think Bob Fesco called him a coward and pussy this morning on 810...

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 08:22 AM
I think Bob Fesco called him a coward and pussy this morning on 810...

I'd forgotten about that... ROFL

Frosty
01-05-2006, 08:28 AM
I've never seen USC's defense play a team with a good offense.

:rolleyes:

Pennywise
01-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Split Bush out, set him in motion, use him as a decoy even...whatever....you do THAT, and I guarantee that Safety is not in the box to stop that dive like Texas did last night, and USC gets the first down to run out the clock.

Listen to Mike and Mike on ESPN much?

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Listen to Mike and Mike on ESPN much?

Sometimes. I didn't get a chance to this morning....did someone come on and mention this? I replayed that play ten times.....couldn't figure out why USC did what they did. :shrug:

Chiefs Pantalones
01-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I said the same thing last night. I noticed he wasn't in on that 4th and 2 play, but there were a lot of plays were he wasn't in the game at all. They kept him on the sidelines. I don't know if he was cramping up or if Carrol is just stupid.

I think NFL Pete Carrol came back last night.

phxchief
01-05-2006, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes:

Yeah - you roll those eyes. USC have played loads of good offenses.

Like Fresno State!

Oh, wait........ ROFL

SBK
01-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't think it was an error, I think Carroll put the better back in the game.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't think it was an error, I think Carroll put the better back in the game.

How about putting both of them in the game....even if you put Bush split-out as a receiver....? :shrug:

ZootedGranny
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Reggie Bush being on the sideline during short yardage and/or clutch situations is nothing new. I've seen it happen more than a handful of times over the course of the past two seasons.

SBK
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
How about putting both of them in the game....even if you put Bush split-out as a receiver....? :shrug:

That is a good question. My take is that if he was a good as the media types say, he would have been on the field. Maybe that's just me though.

I would also say that I don't think the right guy won the heisman this year.

Rain Man
01-05-2006, 01:41 PM
There's a simple answer to this. Reggie Bush was on the sidelines because if he was on the field, USC would have penalized for having 12 men on the field.

I can't believe that I have to explain these things.

Simplex3
01-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I have never seen the USC defense play so scared. Young basically either threw the out or to the TE in the middle. You would think that they would have at least ONCE manned up and jumped that route. Instead, they went into full pussy mode and played a very soft zone all night. :shake:
The Bucs have shown the plan for playing against a running QB (Vick) and a spy isn't it.

1punkyQB
01-05-2006, 01:55 PM
The Bucs have shown the plan for playing against a running QB (Vick) and a spy isn't it.
Actually Vick's given them considerable problems the last two times they've played him. Unfortunately, Atlanta's defense now sucks. As far as Young goes, his O-line was money, they manhandled USC, not much else to it. I'm not sure they would've done that to last year's SC defense (Mike Patterson, Tatupu, Shaun Cody).

Rain Man
01-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Actually Vick's given them considerable problems the last two times they've played him. Unfortunately, Atlanta's defense now sucks. As far as Young goes, his O-line was money, they manhandled USC, not much else to it. I'm not sure they would've done that to last year's SC defense (Mike Patterson, Tatupu, Shaun Cody).

They were handling the d-line, but they sure weren't picking up the blitzes. Several times, Young ended up squaring off against a DB who was coming in unblocked.

1punkyQB
01-05-2006, 02:04 PM
True, they took care of the big fish and Young took care of the small ones, the kid's a beast. That doesn't mean that wasn't a helluva OL performance. Everybody's hit and miss. They've been ripped in the past when OU slapped them down and credit to them (and obviously Young) now.

CaptainMorgan
01-05-2006, 02:08 PM
If you've never seen USC play a good offense then you must have missed the game of the year against ND...for that matter, Fresno too.

Frosty
01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
If you've never seen USC play a good offense then you must have missed the game of the year against ND...for that matter, Fresno too.

And Oregon, UCLA, Arizona State before their QB was hurt and...

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I was telling my wife that they should punt. That being said, White was the right back to have in the game for one yard.

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 03:46 PM
There's a simple answer to this. Reggie Bush was on the sidelines because if he was on the field, USC would have penalized for having 12 men on the field.

I can't believe that I have to explain these things.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
01-05-2006, 03:46 PM
I was telling my wife that they should punt. That being said, White was the right back to have in the game for one yard.

Yeah, Martyball is underrated sometimes. Especially times like this.

svuba
01-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Bush is Overrated.
Looks great against inferior competition
Didn't look so good against a fast Defense.

Reggie Bush is the 2nd coming of Dante Hall

Reaper16
01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Reggie Bush does not care about black people.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I like how Reggie Bush put up 177 yards of total offense on a top 10 college D. Yet all anyone is doing is ripping him like he's some scrub.

svuba
01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
I like how Reggie Bush put up 177 yards of total offense on a top 10 college D. Yet all anyone is doing is ripping him like he's some scrub.

Probably because the media has made him out to be the best player in the History of the world.

Draft Pundits have been annoiting him as the #1 pick all year.. I see another Scat Back. Give me LJ any day.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Probably because the media has made him out to be the best player in the History of the world.

Draft Pundits have been annoiting him as the #1 pick all year.. I see another Scat Back. Give me LJ any day.

So Marshall Faulk was just some scat back too, right? Reggie Bush is not going to do something electrifying every single time he has the ball. He's not going to go 80 yards every time. I think people were expecting far to much about of him by watching him in 1 game.

Reggie Bush brings alot of the same things Marshall Faulk brought when he was coming out of college.

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2006, 04:59 PM

Thank you, another person agrees with me. Thank you svuba. I said Bush will be a bust in the NFL. White will be better in the NFL than Bush.