PDA

View Full Version : More Chiefs/Jets/Edwards

dave0320
01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(Jan. 4, 2006) -- When Gregg Williams signed his three-year, $7.8 million contract extension, it affected more than the current coaching carousel. It affected the head coaches already in place.

Since he signed it earlier this week, Williams' contract has created a big-time buzz amongst head coaches. Turns out that his salary is more than about one-quarter of the head coaches in the league, including Chicago's Lovie Smith, who makes about $1.5 million a year and is now favored to win the NFL Coach of the Year. Every head coach has taken notice of Williams' salary, and soon enough, it might lead to some contract renegotiations in the head-coaching ranks.

But Williams' deal also had another big-time effect. Before finalizing it, he made sure that each of his defensive coaches also got raises. It was important to him that, at a time he was going to be compensated, the men who worked for him also were. They were.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder took care of Williams and his assistants -- and, indirectly, might have done the same for other NFL head coaches.

GETTING PICKY
Like the buzz surrounding the trade, talks are intensifying between the Jets and Chiefs as they try to hammer out a deal for New York head coach Herman Edwards.

The two sides have been in negotiations the better part of two days and indications are that a deal is getting closer.

While the Chiefs are keeping open their options of trading for Jets coach Herm Edwards, they are hardly shutting down their coaching search.

The Chiefs already have spoken with Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel, and they are in the process of finalizing an interview with former Cleveland Browns head coach Butch Davis, and they have contacted Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak as well. Should the Edwards deal fall through, there will be plenty more interviews in Kansas City.

Plus, there is this factor to consider. The thought around the league is that Chiefs president Carl Peterson might not want another one of his good friends as his head coach, as Dick Vermeil was and as Edwards would be. Some think it would be better for Peterson to be able to yell at his coach, to make demands of him.

If so, the Chiefs aren't going to surrender much to land Edwards, and Kansas City could wind up going in a different direction all together.

SLAG
01-05-2006, 03:01 PM
I kinda sorta hope so with a , Hermy aftertaste

tk13
01-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Butch Davis here we come!

Lzen
01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I really don't want us to have to give up draft picks. Maybe one 5th rounder or later. Other than that, what has Herm Edwards done that justifies better or more picks?

Frankie
01-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Al Saunders' interview was not mentioned in this report. Also not mentioned is any Chiefs interest in my 2nd (by far) choice, Cam Cameron. Butch Davis is kinda moving up in my book too. But it still bothers me that it seems his personality turned off his players in Cleveland. But he seems to have been pretty successful everywhere else.

Frankie
01-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I really don't want us to have to give up draft picks. Maybe one 5th rounder or later. Other than that, what has Herm Edwards done that justifies better or more picks?
As we do fairly well with those late round picks, even those should be kept. It's not like there are no other candidates out there at least as good as Edwards.... (cough...cough...Al Saunders)

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 03:15 PM
The longer this Herm buisness takes the more i think Mr. Peterson will go inhouse for the new KC HC.

Frankie
01-05-2006, 03:21 PM
The longer this Herm buisness takes the more i think Mr. Peterson will go inhouse for the new KC HC.
I hope you are right. As long as inhouse means Al Saunders. Our luck, he'll surprise us and hire Giunta.

nychief
01-05-2006, 03:21 PM

what does gregg williams say?

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I hope you are right. As long as inhouse means Al Saunders. Our luck, he'll surprise us and hire Giunta.

Its just a feeling from what i read in the Peterson interview on kcchiefs.com.

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 03:24 PM
what does gregg williams say?

said your Mother and Uncle/Father/fatherinlaw, should never have mated.

Cormac
01-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Some think it would be better for Peterson to be able to yell at his coach, to make demands of him.

If he's looking for somebody to yell at, he's got a pretty damn good shortlist. Butch Davis? Jim Fassel? Gary Kubiak? CP won't be the only one yelling if we hire from that motley crew. This promises to be an offseason that really tests one's fan-dom.

Simply Red
01-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Saunders maybe???!!!!!???
God I am sick of this. SAUNDERS FOR HEAD COACH!!!!!! :mad:

Johnson&Johnson
01-05-2006, 03:47 PM
We have the talent on offense. Defense is on its way to becoming real good again.

Gary Kubiak...hmmmmm....

I'd buy any diciple from the Bill Walsh chain. Those guys all have football smarts (which means they are very good in-game coaches that understands making adjustment)

Mecca
01-05-2006, 03:49 PM
We have the talent on offense. Defense is on its way to becoming real good again.

Gary Kubiak...hmmmmm....

I'd buy any diciple from the Bill Walsh chain. Those guys all have football smarts (which means they are very good in-game coaches that understands making adjustment)

I see a few pieces...........nothing that makes me think we're on our way to anything in the future though. We need alot more with a coordinator that knows how to use those players.

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Gary Kubiak...hmmmmm....

we maybe have the talent. Are you completely sold on the likes of Sampson taking over for Roaf?
Not to say he will be the next willie roaf but will he be even close?
What if the old guys dont want to play a new system?
Whos going to take there place and put out the same skill and effort?

Alot hinges on alot of diffrent things if KC has the same talent level of the past couple years.
Alot.

Johnson&Johnson
01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I see a few pieces...........nothing that makes me think we're on our way to anything in the future though. We need alot more with a coordinator that knows how to use those players.

If CP were to really clean house, I'd say he or the new HC should find coordinators from the college ranks. I am the type who's not too fond of recycling of coaches in the NFL.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 03:54 PM
If CP were to really clean house, I'd say he or the new HC should find coordinators from the college ranks. I am the type who's not too fond of recycling of coaches in the NFL.

College coordinators is a bad idea.........college defenses have about 5 coverages, NFL teams have about 50.

MOhillbilly
01-05-2006, 03:56 PM
College coordinators is a bad idea.........college defenses have about 5 coverages, NFL teams have about 50.

its not as difficult as you think.

sedated
01-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Carl Peterson might not want another one of his good friends as his head coach... Some think it would be better for Peterson to be able to yell at his coach, to make demands of him.

:bravo:

no sh!t, let's end this cigar club bullsh!t that's been going on for 5 years.

get a coach you can disagree with.

Mecca
01-05-2006, 04:02 PM
its not as difficult as you think.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if we were a young team in a serious rebuilding mode. I don't like the idea of taking that risk with a heavily veteran team.

Johnson&Johnson
01-05-2006, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it if we were a young team in a serious rebuilding mode. I don't like the idea of taking that risk with a heavily veteran team.

The defense is sorta young ya know. DJ, Kawika, Jared, Siavii, Simms, Keyaron, J. Wilkerson and not to forget our forgotten DB ... Julian Battle who was the best player on the defensive side of camp, much like LJ on the offensive side in River Falls.

Pat Surtain and Eric Warfield isn't that old either.

Only our two safeties would warrant as being "old" veterans.

milkman
01-05-2006, 05:06 PM
:bravo:

no sh!t, let's end this cigar club bullsh!t that's been going on for 5 years.

get a coach you can disagree with.

5 years?

Try 17.

Frankie
01-06-2006, 08:38 AM
... and not to forget our forgotten DB ... Julian Battle who was the best player on the defensive side of camp, much like LJ on the offensive side in River Falls.How did you arrive at that? I'm not to be a wise guy. In fact I very much want that to be true. But I don't recall any glowing statement about Battle's camp.