PDA

View Full Version : Peeved Jets set deadline; Edwards talks restart

jiveturkey
01-05-2006, 06:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2281911

Negotiations aimed at completing a draft choice compensation package that would allow New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards to move to the Kansas City Chiefs in the same capacity lurched forward on Thursday evening.

But only after a long day of inertia, confusion and acrimony.

ESPN.com has learned that the Jets, who clearly no longer want Edwards to remain as coach, at one point Thursday imposed a 6 p.m. deadline for completing the compensation agreement with Kansas City officials. The Jets were prepared, if the deadline passed, to announce that Edwards had requested to be released from his contract. But just before the deadline, discussions resumed with the Chiefs, and the two franchises were again trying to find a middle ground on compensation.

Meanwhile, sources close to Edwards told ESPN.com that the coach had not requested to be released from his contract, which runs through the 2007 season. Those sources said that, had the Jets issued such a statement, legal measures might have been taken.

"Herm Edwards is not resigning," agent Gary O'Hagan told ESPN.com, emphatically, on Thursday evening. "He plans to work out the final two years of his contract."

Beyond that, O'Hagan declined comment other than to reiterate he has been involved in no discussions with Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson. His only dialogue, O'Hagan said, has been with his client and with Jets officials. O'Hagan said that reports Edwards was "out" as the Jets coach were not true.

On an unusual day, Edwards acted as if it was business as usual and was at the Jets complex putting in a full work day.

Still, semantics aside, it has become increasingly clear that, given the prolonged mating dance with the Chiefs, there is little chance Edwards can remain with the Jets for 2006. New York officials, as reported by ESPN.com on Wednesday evening, have grown both wary and weary of Edwards' perceived flirtations with a Kansas City franchise for which he previously worked.

The mind-set inside the Jets complex, one team source told ESPN.com on Wednesday and Thursday, is that if Edwards doesn't want to stick around, then it's better that he leave. One way or another, it appears, Edwards will not be back. If a deal with the Chiefs can't be struck, the Jets may be forced to fire Edwards.

Jets officials have already begun drawing up a list of potential replacements.

One other NFL franchise, which has not been identified, has made inquiries about Edwards. But that team has not formally opened talks with the Jets and is believed to now be moving in another direction for a new head coach.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported earlier Thursday that talks between the Chiefs and Jets had stalled and that closing the deal was becoming increasingly difficult. The reluctance of Peterson to consummate a compensation package, Mortensen was told by sources, was a function of some sentiment around the NFL that the frustrated Jets might just eventually fire Edwards. Under that scenario, the Chiefs or any other franchise could hire Edwards without having to compensate the Jets at all.

On Wednesday, ESPN.com reported that, under the parameters of the compensation package that had been discussed, the Chiefs would not part with a first-round choice. It is believed the teams have discussed compensation that would include only two middle-round choices, although it is unclear if both would be in the 2006 draft.

Any compensation package agreed to by the Chiefs and Jets must still be approved by commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

In his five seasons with the Jets, Edwards has compiled a 41-46 record, taken the team to the playoffs three times and won one division title. But his salary, about $2 million per year, ranks in the bottom quadrant of head coaches. And facing a major rebuilding program, it is believed Edwards has sought a salary increase and possibly a contract extension.

Among the potential candidates to replace Edwards, if he does depart, is former New Orleans coach Jim Haslett, dismissed earlier this week. But a Jets official told ESPN.com that, while there is some interest in Haslett, most of the dialogue has been initiated by his agent. And the official conceded that hiring a coach who had an even worse record in 2005 than Edwards did would be a difficult sell to Jets fans.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

siberian khatru
01-05-2006, 06:38 PM
He can't resign, that would screw us.

Best case: The Jets are forced to fire him because keeping him would be untenable.

Next best case: Carl trades a couple of low-round picks, spread out over two years.

Worst case: Carl's love affair with Herm makes him buckle and coughs up a 3rd or, God forbid, higher.

Bootlegged
01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Al Davis hires Herm once he's fired from the Jets. He outbids Carl for this mediocre head coach. Carl then turns to Kirk F. who turns the Chiefs into a BCS power.

JBucc
01-05-2006, 06:43 PM
The Jets have no choice but to accept Carl's terms and take two low draft choices, or they will have to fire him and get nothing but a battle over money with Herm.

Old Dog
01-05-2006, 06:45 PM
With the Jets tipping their hand, I hope Carl doesn't give up much. It's quite apparent that Herm wants to be here and that Carl wants him. Roll the dice and let them fire him.

FWIW, I would have been happy with a 4th this year and a 4th next year before it became apparent that it was likely that he's out anyway.

pr_capone
01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
With the Jets tipping their hand, I hope Carl doesn't give up much. It's quite apparent that Herm wants to be here and that Carl wants him. Roll the dice and let them fire him.

:clap:

"Worst" case scenario, another team picks up Herm and we are forced to get a HC without having to give up ANY draft picks.

/me in the Ron Rivera / Al Saunders camp.

Bob Dole
01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Clayton mentioned a 3rd and a 5th earlier this evening.

pr_capone
01-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Clayton mentioned a 3rd and a 5th earlier this evening.

I would rather hire Norv Turner than give up a 3rd pick for Herm.

milkman
01-05-2006, 07:22 PM

OK, even I don't hate the idea of the Marty Clone HC that much.

beer bacon
01-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Al Davis hires Herm once he's fired from the Jets. He outbids Carl for this mediocre head coach. Carl then turns to Kirk F. who turns the Chiefs into a BCS power.

If this is ture I hope VY enters this year's draft. If he stays in college he would destroy our defense and cost us a national championship.

pr_capone
OK, even I don't hate the idea of the Marty Clone HC that much.

Its not that I would hate to have Herman coach the Chiefs, but the thought of giving up a 3rd round pick for him makes me ill. A 4th and 5th over 2 years is compensation enough.

:harumph:

KILLER_CLOWN

Woah there big fella, that's a little too far.

nascher
01-05-2006, 07:25 PM
watched the raiders the last two seasons ? 1-11 against the rest of the west how can anybody even consider Turner as HC ?

Pretty stupid comment

FAX
01-05-2006, 07:25 PM
My sources are reporting that the whole "tiff" between HE and Jets ownership was a strategy developed by and between two old friends; Carl and HE. The idea is to leverage the NY media and fans to force the Jets into a position where Carl can give them lots more draft picks.

FAX THE INSIDER

Mr. Laz
01-05-2006, 07:27 PM
He can't resign, that would screw us.

Best case: The Jets are forced to fire him because keeping him would be untenable.

Next best case: Carl trades a couple of low-round picks, spread out over two years.

Worst case: Carl's love affair with Herm makes him buckle and coughs up a 3rd or, God forbid, higher.
man ... carl has a tendency to get "bent over" in situations like this.

Jets have played their hand ... don't give them anything.

force them to deal with Edwards and fire him... if he doesn't quit they are screwed.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2006, 07:28 PM

WTF??? Id rather have my balls twisted and squeezed for 4 hours straight than Norv Turner be head coach of the Chiefs. Even Carl isnt that stupid.

StcChief
01-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Roll the Dice. Herm want's to be here in KC.

Give Jets nothing in the way of draft picks.

Mr. Laz
The Jets have no choice but to accept Carl's terms and take two low draft choices, or they will have to fire him and get nothing but a battle over money with Herm.

to hell with that... we better not give them 2 low round picks after all this.

the jets are screwed ... they get jack

milkman
Its not that I would hate to have Herman coach the Chiefs, but the thought of giving up a 3rd round pick for him makes me ill. A 4th and 5th over 2 years is compensation enough.

:harumph:

I hate the idea of Hermie as HC, and I hate the idea of giving draft picks away to bring him in.

But I'd gladly give away a 3rd rounder before I'd settle for Norv Freaking Turner.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2006, 07:31 PM
I hate the idea of Hermie as HC, and I hate the idea of giving draft picks away to bring him in.

Why do you hate him so much? Who would you rather have thats realistically available?

Logical
01-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Al Davis hires Herm once he's fired from the Jets. He outbids Carl for this mediocre head coach. Carl then turns to Kirk F. who turns the Chiefs into a BCS power.He has not even turned Iowa into a BCS power, it would take a miracle for Ferentz to overcome Carl and turn the Chiefs into a BCS powerhouse.ROFL

FAX
01-05-2006, 07:32 PM

But I'd gladly give away a 3rd rounder before I'd settle for Norv Freaking Turner.

I will give you 400 draft picks to keep Norv Turner. And 200 more in exchange for your promise never to use the word "Hermie" again.

FAX

Logical
01-05-2006, 07:33 PM
man ... carl has a tendency to get "bent over" in situations like this.

Jets have played their hand ... don't give them anything.

force them to deal with Edwards and fire him... if he doesn't quit they are screwed.

I will say that I don't think Carl got bent over in the Surtain deal, but it was an exception I will admit.

pr_capone
01-05-2006, 07:36 PM
watched the raiders the last two seasons ? 1-11 against the rest of the west how can anybody even consider Turner as HC ?

Pretty stupid comment

*sigh*

Yes.... I am new to this forum so I must not have the slightest idea of what is going on with the Chiefs, right?

I was not implying that we, or anyone, should hire Norv Turner as HC. I was emphaticaly stating that giving up a 3rd round pick for Herm is crazy.

Especially where there are other coaches out there who would be a pretty good fit for KC that we could get without giving up any picks. Al Saunders comes to mind.

milkman
01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I will give you 400 draft picks to keep Norv Turner. And 200 more in exchange for your promise never to use the word "Hermie" again.

FAX

Sorry FAX.

Can't make that promise.

Skip Towne
01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
WTF??? Id rather have my balls twisted and squeezed for 4 hours straight than Norv Turner be head coach of the Chiefs. Even Carl isnt that stupid.
See Gochiefs for your balls twisting and squeezing. He lives for that sort of thing.

Mr. Laz
I will say that I don't think Carl got bent over in the Surtain deal, but it was an exception I will admit.
he sure didn't bend Miami over ... maybe a draw.

carl did a good trade for willie roaf

but we'll see what happens. i'm not that hyped about Edwards anyway. I would rather risk losing Edwards completely than give them a draft pick for a bleh coach(imo).

Old Dog
Other than Saunders (and most will admit that is unlikely at best) Herm is the one person that seems to be available that I would like to see in the job.

FAX
01-05-2006, 07:40 PM
*sigh*

Yes.... I am new to this forum so I must not have the slightest idea of what is going on with the Chiefs, right?

I was not implying that we, or anyone, should hire Norv Turner as HC. I was emphaticaly stating that giving up a 3rd round pick for Herm is crazy.

Especially where there are other coaches out there who would be a pretty good fit for KC that we could get without giving up any picks. Al Saunders comes to mind.

Pay him no heed, Mr. pr_capone. Otherwise, you will be flat out of heed in a hurry. Some of the posters here are just short tempered and expressing their frustration right now as they work through the latter stages of grief over another failed attempt by the Chiefs to acquire a modicum of respectability in the NFL.

By the way, need any draft picks?

FAX

Mr. Laz
01-05-2006, 07:42 PM
*sigh*

eggzactly... no way you give up a draft pick a this point

you might get Edwards for nothing and even if you don't you have other guys available. I don't see that Edwards is so special to warrant any kind of special effort/price.

pr_capone
01-05-2006, 07:43 PM
By the way, need any draft picks?

FAX
I'll trade you nascher for a 7th round pick.... I'll even throw in a 4th pick! :D

Logical
01-05-2006, 07:45 PM
he sure didn't bend Miami over ... maybe a draw.

carl did a good trade for willie roaf

but we'll see what happens. i'm not that hyped about Edwards anyway. I would rather risk losing Edwards completely than give them a draft pick for a bleh coach(imo).I agree, but being realistic Carl obviously wants him bad. So I am hoping we only give up like a 5th and 6th or worst case 4th and 5th. Facing reality we are not likely to get any help there anyway with Carl at the helm so it is kind of hard to get distraught over picks that low..

Skip Towne
01-05-2006, 07:46 PM
He has not even turned Iowa into a BCS power, it would take a miracle for Ferentz to overcome Carl and turn the Chiefs into a BCS powerhouse.ROFL
Don't you have to beat Iowa State before becoming a BCS Powerhouse?

pr_capone
01-05-2006, 07:47 PM
eggzactly... no way you give up a draft pick a this point

you might get Edwards for nothing and even if you don't you have other guys available. I don't see that Edwards is so special to warrant any kind of special effort/price.

My thoughts exactly. I would on the other hand be willing to give up draft picks for Williams or Rivera if NFL rules did not prohibit giving up draft pick compensation for a Coordinator.

BTW...... you sig is mesmerizing. That is my all time favorite scene from The New Guy.

Mr. Laz
01-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I agree, but being realistic Carl obviously wants him bad. So I am hoping we only give up like a 5th and 6th or worst case 4th and 5th. Facing reality we are not likely to get any help there anyway with Carl at the helm so it is kind of hard to get distraught over picks that low..
your asking me to base something on "Carl's want" when that's a significant part of the chiefs problems imo.

is Edwards so much better than everyone else that is worth ANY additional cost?

not in my book

i don't give a flying flip whether he's carl's buddy or not

Mr. Laz
01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
My thoughts exactly. I would on the other hand be willing to give up draft picks for Williams or Rivera if NFL rules did not prohibit giving up draft pick compensation for a Coordinator.

BTW...... you sig is mesmerizing. That is my all time favorite scene from The New Guy.

actually think the position beind offered is what determines trading picks or not.

we are offering a head coaching position therefore trading picks for virtually anyone is allowed.

Teams just aren't allowed to trade a draft pick for filling a assistant position.

i worry about whether Rivera has been riding the head coach's coat tails or not. Has he ever had success without a defensive HC above him?

JohnnyV13
01-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Honestly, I think the Jets are playing the NY media.

The Jets want to get rid of Herm but want draft picks for him. They leak Kansas City rumors to get the REAL target to step in and bid with draft picks.

Fact is, KC makes a great rumor. KC has a job opening, Herm has a history with KC and Carl Peterson, and KC has a history of giving up draft picks for a coach.

FAX
01-05-2006, 08:02 PM

The Jets want to get rid of Herm but want draft picks for him. They leak Kansas City rumors to get the REAL target to step in and bid with draft picks.

Fact is, KC makes a great rumor. KC has a job opening, Herm has a history with KC and Carl Peterson, and KC has a history of giving up draft picks for a coach.

**** the NY media. And **** the competition, too. We have more draft picks than anybody and we're willing to buy coaches with them anyplace, anytime.

I pity the team that thinks they can out draft pick spend us.

FAX

gblowfish
01-05-2006, 08:03 PM
We probably would have had a deal by now, but Carl started screaming STFU and STFD when the Jet's team chaplain walked into Herm's office...

Mr. Laz
01-05-2006, 08:07 PM
just saw on t.v. that Edwards told his assistant coaches thursday morning that he is gone.

why is the world would we give them ANYTHING now?

KCJake
01-05-2006, 08:10 PM
That's what im thinking

FAX
01-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Sorry FAX.

Can't make that promise.

You negotiate like a girl.

Okay ... 584 draft picks.

FAX

siberian khatru
01-05-2006, 08:19 PM

I think the Chiefs are playing the NY media by exacerbating tensions between Herm and the Jets. They want to make it impossible for the Jets to keep Herm as coach. Carl lured them out on a limb, asking what their compensation would be. The media jumped on it, Herm's all but out of town, suddenly Carl pulls back and says, "Nah, too rich for me. Bye." Now the Jets are stuck with a veritable lame-duck coach who's still under contract. They can keep him, when all the Big Apple knows 1) Herm wants to go, and 2) the Jets were willing to let him go. That would be fun heading into the 06 season.

So Carl's waiting to see if the pressure makes the Jets fire Herm, or if they settle for late-round picks.

mcan
01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Even if Herm Edwards was fired, and we got him for nothing, I still don't see how he is more qualified than Al Saunders.

I just see this assinine wheel spinning... Al's job was to put the ball in the end zone. And that's what he did, pretty much without fail, over and over and over and over again... I just don't see why there is any reason to believe he wouldn't do just as fabulous of a job as a head coach...

FAX
01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Even if Herm Edwards was fired, and we got him for nothing, I still don't see how he is more qualified than Al Saunders.

I just see this assinine wheel spinning... Al's job was to put the ball in the end zone. And that's what he did, pretty much without fail, over and over and over and over again... I just don't see why there is any reason to believe he wouldn't do just as fabulous of a job as a head coach...

Yes, but ... what would we do with all these draft picks?

FAX