PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network..... Adam Shefter....

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Edwards is OFFICIALLY out.......... just spoke about it on Total Access.

beer bacon
I always knew that bastard was gay.

FAX
Wait! He can't be! We still have draft picks left!

FAX

siberian khatru

He's got a purty mouth.

KCJake
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
He's going to the Chiefs. No question. What's the odds of Al Saunders staying in KC?

nychief
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
He's going to the Chiefs. No question. What's the odds of Al Saunders staying in KC?

zero.

Old Dog
01-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Almost none IMO. I think he'll end up in Detroit.

Deberg_1990
01-05-2006, 09:13 PM

Not much sorry to say, but who knows?? I wonder if Herm and Al know each other very well? Wasnt Saunders here in 90-91 like Herm was??

KCFalcon59
01-05-2006, 09:14 PM
This had been a joke of a head coaching search so far. If it is Herm, then it means we had no intentions of looking for the best available coach.

:banghead: :cuss:

beer bacon
01-05-2006, 09:16 PM
This had been a joke of a head coaching search so far. If it is Herm, then it means we had no intentions of looking for the best available coach.

:banghead: :cuss:

Why didn't we at least give Jim Haslet an interview :(

milkman
01-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Edwards is OFFICIALLY out.......... just spoke about it on Total Access.

This is the same thing he said 2 hours ago.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133057&page=1

Which was followed by this.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133061

So we are pretty much exactly where were were yesterday.

SLAG
01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Is it possible that maybe just maybe Al will stay on as O.C?

:shrug:

C-Mac
01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
NFL Network just did a collection of Edwards soundbites in a small tribute to him leaving the Jets.

Rausch
01-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Is it possible that maybe just maybe Al will stay on as O.C?

No.

And I don't blame him.

I wish him the best...

Frosty
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
That report made no sense. They start by saying that Herm is officially out but the Chiefs and Jets are still in negotiation for draft picks? Why would the Chiefs give up anything in that case?

Also, when they talked to Vilma, it sounded like he had no idea that Herm was (allegedly) leaving.

Logical
01-05-2006, 10:27 PM
That report made no sense. They start by saying that Herm is officially out but the Chiefs and Jets are still in negotiation for draft picks? Why would the Chiefs give up anything in that case?

Also, when they talked to Vilma, it sounded like he had no idea that Herm was (allegedly) leaving.

:shrug:Because he quit and was not fired. As such he is not free from his obligation to the Jets for the remaining two years. The Jets can still demand compensation.

Logical
01-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Why didn't we at least give Jim Haslet an interview :(OMFG please tell me you are joking, I don't think there is a worse candidate beyond Norv Turner of the people with NFL experience on the market.

beer bacon
01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
OMFG please tell me you are joking, I don't think there is a worse candidate beyond Norv Turner of the people with NFL experience on the market.

I am sorry, but if Carl doesn't at least give Tice and Haslet interviews then this franchise is an embarrassment.

kcfanXIII
01-05-2006, 10:43 PM
and now r kelly is here to sing us a song
"herm won't come out the closet,
shit is all ****ed up.."

Logical
01-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I am sorry, but if Carl doesn't at least give Tice and Haslet interviews then this franchise is an embarrassment.If you would have said Tice and Sherman I probably would have agreed. But not Haslett :Lin: Why on earth do you like him? He has done less with more talent over the past 5 years than any HC I can think of, there maybe one or two but I don't remember them.

JohnnyV13
01-06-2006, 02:08 AM
Vlad,

I'd be shocked if Herm quit. First of all, if Herm quits he loses any leverage for a contract settlement. If he's fired, he might get a contract settlement.

Second, ok...you're herm, if you quit you are going to a new team most likely, AND by quitting you force the new team to give up picks for you. If you force the jets to fire you, then you aren't shorting yourself draft picks.

jspchief
01-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Vlad,

I'd be shocked if Herm quit. First of all, if Herm quits he loses any leverage for a contract settlement. If he's fired, he might get a contract settlement.

Second, ok...you're herm, if you quit you are going to a new team most likely, AND by quitting you force the new team to give up picks for you. If you force the jets to fire you, then you aren't shorting yourself draft picks.Exactly. There's no benefit to Edwards quitting. He may end up doing it, but I believe it'll be a last resort, and won't happen for a week or two.

Besides that, by quitting he removes any leverage the Chiefs had to negotiate which picks to give. The Jets have already lost him, so they can take a hard line.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 02:16 AM
The Jets have already lost him, so they can take a hard line.

Carl is a master of that game

Frosty
01-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Because he quit and was not fired. As such he is not free from his obligation to the Jets for the remaining two years. The Jets can still demand compensation.

He didn't quit.

Adam was right in that Herm won't coach the Jets again, but he isn't officially out. Carl is in such a position of strength right now that it's unbelievable. The Jets ought to just take the 4th or 5th pick to save face because otherwise they get nothing.

They could wait to fire Herm after all the positions are filled but then they limit themselves on available candidates. The Jets front office is looking so inept right now that I'm starting to think that Herm is genius for getting them to the playoffs so often.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
01-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Carl is a master of that game

He is nothing more than a "tough sumbitch negotiator"

:shake:

morphius
01-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Why didn't we at least give Jim Haslet an interview :(
Because while Carl has done some stupid crap, he is not a COMPLETE FRICKIN MORON!

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 08:08 AM
I still think other teams have offers out for Edwards.
Why would you just take a deal? Wouldnt you always take the best deal?

All the media types have to make a buck somehow,they can feed fans bullshit and still make a dollar.

Chiefnj
01-06-2006, 08:24 AM
The Chiefs don't really want the Jets to release or fire Edwards because that means he can talk to any team and negotiate with any team. If someone outbid KC he could go there, or that other team can inflate his asking price.

Bob Dole
01-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Besides that, by quitting he removes any leverage the Chiefs had to negotiate which picks to give. The Jets have already lost him, so they can take a hard line.

You've sure got more faith in Fagliabue than Bob Dole does.

If Edwards quits and KC signs him, it will cost more (in draft pick compensation) that what is being tossed around (3rd and a 5th) now.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 08:33 AM
The Chiefs don't really want the Jets to release or fire Edwards because that means he can talk to any team and negotiate with any team. If someone outbid KC he could go there, or that other team can inflate his asking price.

i bet money that all this shit is gettin leaked by someone Herm is talking to in the media so he doesnt get introuble w/ tampering.

Chiefnj
01-06-2006, 08:39 AM
i bet money that all this shit is gettin leaked by someone Herm is talking to in the media so he doesnt get introuble w/ tampering.

I don't know what the rules are with tampering, but obviously both parties have been winking at each other for months. Edwards hired a new agent/agency beginning of this year, so obviously he was looking to make some moves even with 2 years on his contract.

I thought it was pretty ballsy of Vermeil to come out with his statement about Edwards a week or so ago. At that point Vermeil had told Carl he wasn't returning. Vermeil must have known Carl was interested in Edwards. You can see where Vermeil's loyalty lays; with the King. Vermiel must have known that his loyal assistant (AS) would be interested in KC's job, yet he goes on the record praising Edwards. Al must have felt like he got stabbed in the back a bit.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I don't know what the rules are with tampering, but obviously both parties have been winking at each other for months. Edwards hired a new agent/agency beginning of this year, so obviously he was looking to make some moves even with 2 years on his contract.

I thought it was pretty ballsy of Vermeil to come out with his statement about Edwards a week or so ago. At that point Vermeil had told Carl he wasn't returning. Vermeil must have known Carl was interested in Edwards. You can see where Vermeil's loyalty lays; with the King. Vermiel must have known that his loyal assistant (AS) would be interested in KC's job, yet he goes on the record praising Edwards. Al must have felt like he got stabbed in the back a bit.

Interesting- the only thing i will add is that Edwards is one of the lowest paid HC in the NFL(2mill) and hasnt been happy that he hasnt gotten a raise after his playoff runs.

bkkcoh
01-06-2006, 08:44 AM

But if Jaws is correct, the Chiefs HC job is the cream of the crop. They were the only team to have to replace a HC because of them retiring instead of because of a FO move.

If you were a HC candidate, why wouldn't you want to try your hand in KC for a couple of years, especially with the O that we have and it looking like the defense is headed on the right path.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 08:47 AM
But if Jaws is correct, the Chiefs HC job is the cream of the crop. They were the only team to have to replace a HC because of them retiring instead of because of a FO move.

Vermiel didnt get fired persay, but the writing was on the wall.

bkkcoh
01-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Vermiel didnt get fired persay, but the writing was on the wall.

But you know as well as I do, with the loyalty that CP and DV had, he would have been there as long as DV wanted to be there. And DV didn't want to be there any more.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 08:58 AM
But you know as well as I do, with the loyalty that CP and DV had, he would have been there as long as DV wanted to be there. And DV didn't want to be there any more.

Speaks volumes about DV imo.

Chiefnj
01-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Interesting- the only thing i will add is that Edwards is one of the lowest paid HC in the NFL(2mill) and hasnt been happy that he hasnt gotten a raise after his playoff runs.

That is an interesting point. Because right now a lot of Chief fans who want Herm are using the "he's underpaid" card. He signed a contract, his rookie head coaching contract. Why shouldn't he honor it? I wonder if people will feel the same way if Larry Johnson (working with 2 years left on his rookie contract) comes out in a few weeks and says pay me or I'll hold out. Will that be okay because he's one of the better runners in the league but is perhaps one of the lowest paid because it's still his rookie deal?

Chiefnj
01-06-2006, 09:01 AM

If you were a HC candidate, why wouldn't you want to try your hand in KC for a couple of years, especially with the O that we have and it looking like the defense is headed on the right path.

I don't necessarily think the KC situation is really any better than anywhere else. For years Chief fans have been saying "this free agent should come to KC because KC is so close and is a real contender", yet the team has failed to live up to those expectations. People said "Take your money Tait and enjoy playing with that loser Bears team." People said "Good riddance Clemons have fun playing for the Bungles."

bkkcoh
01-06-2006, 09:03 AM
That is an interesting point. Because right now a lot of Chief fans who want Herm are using the "he's underpaid" card. He signed a contract, his rookie head coaching contract. Why shouldn't he honor it? I wonder if people will feel the same way if Larry Johnson (working with 2 years left on his rookie contract) comes out in a few weeks and says pay me or I'll hold out. Will that be okay because he's one of the better runners in the league but is perhaps one of the lowest paid because it's still his rookie deal?

Likewise, should a player who has a couple of down years, not due to injury, be required/expected to redo their contract????

I would think that if the player expects to have a contract redone because of exceeding expectations in performance. granted, that should be what performance bonus' are for, but that may not be the case in some contracts.

nascher
01-06-2006, 09:06 AM
i don't know but i would take either the KC job or Minnesota based on the players to work with. The Rest has many more holes than our "little" problems with 2 older O-Liner and an "old" QB.

milkman
01-06-2006, 09:14 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with LJ holding out after next season if he continues to put up the type of numbers he has this season.