PDA

View Full Version : **** YOU PETERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boyceofsummer
01-06-2006, 02:10 AM
The Hunt family needs to terminate this PRICK sooner than later!

Logical
01-06-2006, 02:14 AM
I don't really have a reason to disagree, but what brought this on?

Taco John
01-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Didn't you get the secret letter?

Today is **** You Friday.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Some people need to take some meds and chill out.......

Boyceofsummer
01-06-2006, 02:35 AM
Chiefs-Jets negotiations about Edwards resumeBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Negotiations aimed at completing a draft choice compensation package that would allow New York Jets head coach Herman Edwards to move to the Kansas City Chiefs in the same capacity lurched forward on Thursday evening.

But only after a long day of inertia, confusion and acrimony.

ESPN.com has learned that the Jets, who clearly no longer want Edwards to remain as coach, at one point Thursday imposed a 6 p.m. deadline for completing the compensation agreement with Kansas City officials. The Jets were prepared, if the deadline passed, to announce that Edwards had requested to be released from his contract. But just before the deadline, discussions resumed with the Chiefs, and the two franchises were again trying to find a middle ground on compensation.

Meanwhile, sources close to Edwards told ESPN.com that the coach had not requested to be released from his contract, which runs through the 2007 season.

"Herm Edwards is not resigning," agent Gary O'Hagan told ESPN.com, emphatically, on Thursday evening. "He plans to work out the final two years of his contract."

Beyond that, O'Hagan declined comment other than to reiterate he has been involved in no discussions with Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson. His only dialogue, O'Hagan said, has been with his client and with Jets officials. O'Hagan said that reports Edwards was "out" as the Jets coach were not true.

On an unusual day, Edwards acted as if it was business as usual and was at the Jets complex putting in a full work day.

Still, semantics aside, it has become increasingly clear that, given the prolonged mating dance with the Chiefs, there is little chance Edwards can remain with the Jets for 2006. New York officials, as reported by ESPN.com on Wednesday evening, have grown both wary and weary of Edwards' perceived flirtations with a Kansas City franchise for which he previously worked.

The mind-set inside the Jets complex, one team source told ESPN.com on Wednesday and Thursday, is that if Edwards doesn't want to stick around, then it's better that he leave. One way or another, it appears, Edwards will not be back. If a deal with the Chiefs can't be struck, the Jets may be forced to fire Edwards.

Jets officials have already begun drawing up a list of potential replacements.

One other NFL franchise, which has not been identified, has made inquiries about Edwards. But that team has not formally opened talks with the Jets and is believed to now be moving in another direction for a new head coach.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported earlier Thursday that talks between the Chiefs and Jets had stalled and that closing the deal was becoming increasingly difficult. The reluctance of Peterson to consummate a compensation package, Mortensen was told by sources, was a function of some sentiment around the NFL that the frustrated Jets might just eventually fire Edwards. Under that scenario, the Chiefs or any other franchise could hire Edwards without having to compensate the Jets at all.

On Wednesday, ESPN.com reported that, under the parameters of the compensation package that had been discussed, the Chiefs would not part with a first-round choice. It is believed the teams have discussed compensation that would include only two middle-round choices, although it is unclear if both would be in the 2006 draft.

Any compensation package agreed to by the Chiefs and Jets must still be approved by commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

In his five seasons with the Jets, Edwards has compiled a 41-46 record, taken the team to the playoffs three times and won one division title. But his salary, about $2 million per year, ranks in the bottom quadrant of head coaches. And facing a major rebuilding program, it is believed Edwards has sought a salary increase and possibly a contract extension.

Among the potential candidates to replace Edwards, if he does depart, is former New Orleans coach Jim Haslett, dismissed earlier this week. But a Jets official told ESPN.com that, while there is some interest in Haslett, most of the dialogue has been initiated by his agent. And the official conceded that hiring a coach who had an even worse record in 2005 than Edwards did would be a difficult sell to Jets fans.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Boyceofsummer
01-06-2006, 02:46 AM
cost this franchise dearly in compensation. This whole affair is becoming damaged goods.

splatbass
01-06-2006, 05:14 AM
cost this franchise dearly in compensation. This whole affair is becoming damaged goods.

Why do you think he will cost the franchise? CP has the upper hand in this. The Jets are in a poor bargaining position.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2006, 06:11 AM
C'mon... this is good ol' Carl up to his clever tricks. Carl is likely just "upping the ante" for another team that wants Herm, forcing another team to give up higher draft picks.

He's clever.

King_Chief_Fan
01-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Why do you think he will cost the franchise? CP has the upper hand in this. The Jets are in a poor bargaining position.

How so? If he is fired, he still can't go anywhere he wants without compensation to the Jets for the duration of his contract. Am I wrong on this?

Mile High Mania
01-06-2006, 06:30 AM
How so? If he is fired, he still can't go anywhere he wants without compensation to the Jets for the duration of his contract. Am I wrong on this?

I haven't researched much of what goes into these things, but if the Jets fire Edwards... how can they expect anything in return? If they Jets cut him loose, then he's free to go where ever he likes.

splatbass
01-06-2006, 06:31 AM

I think if they fire him they are essentially voiding the contract and he is able to go where he wants without any compensation.

King_Chief_Fan
01-06-2006, 06:31 AM
I haven't researched much of what goes into these things, but if the Jets fire Edwards... how can they expect anything in return? If they Jets cut him loose, then he's free to go where ever he likes.
I thought since they were paying his salary they still had rights to him.
I get very confused the way some of these things work

Kerberos
01-06-2006, 06:32 AM

Yup

If he quits or retires then they have all rights to him till the end of the remainder of the contract.

Fire him and his slate is clean and ripe for the picking.

Skip Towne
01-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Yep

tomahawk kid
01-06-2006, 06:43 AM
Some people need to take some meds and chill out.......

No s#it.

It amazes me that people here have convinced themselves that Edwards is a horrible coach based on reports from a biased NY media and a 4-12 season in which he had 3-4 KEY players injured.

I would rather have Jeff Fisher above all, but Herm and AS is a toss up to me.

Anyone who thinks that Al would be a perfect HC is kidding themselves.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Well, here's his record with the Jets... I guess it's the two playoff wins that make Carl's sports' woody go crazy.

+--------------+----------+
| Reg. Season | Playoffs |
+----------+--------------+----------+
| Year TM | W L T | W L |
| 2001 nyj | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
| 2002 nyj | 9 7 0 | 1 1 |
| 2003 nyj | 6 10 0 | 0 0 |
| 2004 nyj | 10 6 0 | 1 1 |
| 2005 nyj | 4 12 0 | 0 0 |
| TOTALS | 39 41 0 | 2 3

tomahawk kid
01-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Well, here's his record with the Jets... I guess it's the two playoff wins that make Carl's sports' woody go crazy.

| TOTALS | 39 41 0 | 2 3

It would do the same for you if you hadn't won a playoff game in 12 years.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2006, 06:54 AM
It would do the same for you if you hadn't won a playoff game in 12 years.

Possibly, I just don't see what they like in Edwards. I don't see him coming in without bringing his own guys... which means KC is likely overhauling the coaching staff. What impact will that have on the older vets that may be forced into doing things differently?

I dunno, if I were a KC fan... this would concern me. Does anyone think he'll come in and not disrupt the coaching staff?

tomahawk kid
01-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Possibly, I just don't see what they like in Edwards. I don't see him coming in without bringing his own guys... which means KC is likely overhauling the coaching staff. What impact will that have on the older vets that may be forced into doing things differently?

I dunno, if I were a KC fan... this would concern me. Does anyone think he'll come in and not disrupt the coaching staff?

It is somewhat concerning.

However, I'm HOPING Herm is bright enough to see the offense for what it is. In doing so, he'll either hire enough of the current offensive staff or bring in new folks familiar with the system (Norv Turner?) to maintain continuity. If he fails to do so, I think we can pretty much kiss guys like Roaf and Shields "bye-bye".

Coaching changes on the Defensive side of the ball are less worrysome, as Giunta and the other stooges have a proven track record of stupidity and ineffectiveness. If Herm wants to bring in his own guys over there, I'm good with that.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 07:12 AM
The Hunt family needs to terminate this PRICK sooner than later!

Did you read the interview on kcchiefs.com?
I take this as maybe Mr.Clark Hunt wanting to go in a diffrent direction.

Q: Is it also your thinking that this would be the last head coach that you hire?
PETERSON: I would think so. When Lamar and Clark Hunt asked me last year to re-up for another four years starting this February I said this will be the last ride for me. I have been here a long time and love it and I have the best ownership in the National Football League and I think even outside the NFL. But, yes I certainly would like to think that this next head football coach is going to be here and be here longer than this guy (Peterson).

King_Chief_Fan
01-06-2006, 07:13 AM
No s#it.

It amazes me that people here have convinced themselves that Edwards is a horrible coach based on reports from a biased NY media and a 4-12 season in which he had 3-4 KEY players injured.

I would rather have Jeff Fisher above all, but Herm and AS is a toss up to me.

Anyone who thinks that Al would be a perfect HC is kidding themselves.

If Herm and Al are toss ups, Herm would be no better than Al.

Well, we already have Al and it doesn't cost us anything.

Cormac
01-06-2006, 07:14 AM
It is somewhat concerning.

However, I'm HOPING Herm is bright enough to see the offense for what it is. In doing so, he'll either hire enough of the current offensive staff or bring in new folks familiar with the system (Norv Turner?) to maintain continuity. If he fails to do so, I think we can pretty much kiss guys like Roaf and Shields "bye-bye".

Coaching changes on the Defensive side of the ball are less worrysome, as Giunta and the other stooges have a proven track record of stupidity and ineffectiveness. If Herm wants to bring in his own guys over there, I'm good with that.

Good post. I agree that Herm had better have the common sense to retain our system (either by promoting Shea or Solari, or bringing in Turner). When Saunders leaves, hopefully we'll have the ability to retain somebody (or maybe multiple components) from the current staff, and keep the system intact. Otherwise, as you said, everybody considering retirement, likely will retire. Maybe foolishly, I assume CP will see to it that Herm keeps the O ticking. I'd be happy enough if we kept Gunther, and he had his choice of assistants. Gun didn't do a great job this year given the huge upgrade in talent, but at least the team moved in the right direction. Run D was excellent outside of the Den/NYG road games. Bringing in another scheme might only set us back yet again.

I am resigned to the fact that Herm will be our next HC. The only way this would be tolerable would be if:
1. we don't give up draft picks
2. we keep our offensive scheme, and coached by proven (Turner) or capable (Solari? Shea?) individuals
3. we cut the chaff (Giunta et al) from our D coaching staff

tomahawk kid
01-06-2006, 07:16 AM
If Herm and Al are toss ups, Herm would be no better than Al.

Well, we already have Al and it doesn't cost us anything.

I agree.

I just don't understand where the anti-Herm sentiment is coming from.

From what I've read over the past 3+ days, the sentiment isn't, "We don't want Herm, because Al is free." but rather, "We don't want Herm because he sucks."

Maybe I've missed something in that regard.......

King_Chief_Fan
01-06-2006, 07:18 AM
I agree.

From what I've read over the past 3+ days, the sentiment isn't, "We don't want Herm, because Al is free." but rather, "We don't want Herm because he sucks."

soooo, maybe it is because Al and Herm suck. Why go with one that sucks if you already have one:shrug:

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 07:19 AM
I agree.

Most of the anti herm sentiment comes from a perspective of 'we dont want him because herm is more of the same'

tomahawk kid
01-06-2006, 07:20 AM
soooo, maybe it is because Al and Herm suck. Why go with one that sucks if you already have one:shrug:

Because Carl doesn't like Al. That's the only reason.

Have I mentioned that my first choice is Jeff Fisher? :)

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 07:22 AM

I dont think Saunders would as bad as Herm. Give Al a 3 year deal. From what ive read AL is much more the hardass who probably wouldnt be afraid to stand up to Mr. Peterson.
Where as Edwards would just lay at the feet of Mr. Peterson like the good dog he is supposed to be.

Mr. Peterson has turned into Mr. Al Davis.:cuss:

tomahawk kid
01-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Most of the anti herm sentiment comes from a perspective of 'we dont want him because herm is more of the same'

But so would the hiring of Al Saunders, who many in the "anti-Herm" camp seem to be touting as the answer (not saying that you are).

The reason I'm holding on to a pipe dream like Fisher, is that I believe he could push the team to the next level without gutting the team, going through a learning curve etc. (which is what most college coaches would go through).

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Because Carl doesn't like Al. That's the only reason.

Have I mentioned that my first choice is Jeff Fisher? :)

Show me a link where it says w/out a doubt that Mr.Peterson doesnt like Saunders.

Mr. Adams loves Coach Fisher noway he leaves.

Lzen
01-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Keeping the offensive system intact concerns me, as well. However, I don't see any reason why they would change it. This is a playoff caliber team already. It's not time to rebuild. If they changed the system, I'm not even sure if Trent Green would want to stick around. And if Trent Green is gone, we aren't gonna be very good. My guess is that we stick with the current system no matter who is the head coach.

tomahawk kid
01-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Show me a link where it says w/out a doubt that Mr.Peterson doesnt like Saunders.

Mr. Adams loves Coach Fisher noway he leaves.

I don't have a "link" per say, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that the 2 don't get along.

If you want to see proof in print, I suppose I could ink an article for WPI......

The Bad Guy
01-06-2006, 07:25 AM
I think Carl will have a huge influence as to who Herm hires as his OC.

I also think that Gunther will be retained if he is hired. Herm tried to get Gunther there before he came back here.

I'll never understand the Herm-bashing, I guess. What I saw out of his playoff team last year was impressive - to go into SD a 13-3 team, travel across country and win. Then to travel to Pitt, a 15-1 team, and take them to OT.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 07:29 AM
The reason I'm holding on to a pipe dream like Fisher, is that I believe he could push the team to the next level without gutting the team, going through a learning curve etc. (which is what most college coaches would go through).

IMO Saunders could do the same, Ive read where Saunders is considered a much much tougher coach than Vermiel.
And like i have said before, Saunders OR Solari leaving could expodite the retirement of the older players.
Either of them stay and we get an extra year to build the D and try and hang on w/ the O.(it would also give KC a chance to get the likes of Sampson and Carlos Hall ect in gear.)

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 07:30 AM
I don't have a "link" per say, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that the 2 don't get along.

If you want to see proof in print, I suppose I could ink an article for WPI......

Just made me wonder after the interview on kcchiefs.com.

WPI:)

KCTitus
01-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I thought since they were paying his salary they still had rights to him.
I get very confused the way some of these things work

If Edwards resigns, NYJ retains his rights (think Marty quitting KC while still under contract). If NYJ fires him they terminate their rights to his services and he's free to go anywhere.

milkman
01-06-2006, 07:59 AM
I think Carl will have a huge influence as to who Herm hires as his OC.

I also think that Gunther will be retained if he is hired. Herm tried to get Gunther there before he came back here.

I'll never understand the Herm-bashing, I guess. What I saw out of his playoff team last year was impressive - to go into SD a 13-3 team, travel across country and win. Then to travel to Pitt, a 15-1 team, and take them to OT.

Beating Marty in the playoffs is not all that impressive.

I'll give him credit, the Jets gave the Steelers all they could handle in Pittsburg.

Nzoner
01-06-2006, 08:11 AM

It's okay Carl has at least 1500 new season ticket holders.

Nick Athan
01-06-2006, 08:28 AM

| TOTALS | 39 41 0 | 2 3

This stats has been available for are premium members for a coupal a weeks now at www.warfieldillustrated.com

Boyceofsummer
01-06-2006, 08:48 AM
or very capable NFL head coach. It's the way this is going down. The denials of behind the scene negotiations. The very hard feelings that will result from all of this wheather the guy is hired or not. It looks bad. It smells bad. And we would hate this if we were on the other end.

picasso
01-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Good post. I agree that Herm had better have the common sense to retain our system (either by promoting Shea or Solari, or bringing in Turner). When Saunders leaves, hopefully we'll have the ability to retain somebody (or maybe multiple components) from the current staff, and keep the system intact. Otherwise, as you said, everybody considering retirement, likely will retire. Maybe foolishly, I assume CP will see to it that Herm keeps the O ticking. I'd be happy enough if we kept Gunther, and he had his choice of assistants. Gun didn't do a great job this year given the huge upgrade in talent, but at least the team moved in the right direction. Run D was excellent outside of the Den/NYG road games. Bringing in another scheme might only set us back yet again.

I am resigned to the fact that Herm will be our next HC. The only way this would be tolerable would be if:
1. we don't give up draft picks
2. we keep our offensive scheme, and coached by proven (Turner) or capable (Solari? Shea?) individuals
3. we cut the chaff (Giunta et al) from our D coaching staff

I DO NOT WANT NORV TURNER ANYWHERE NEAR THE CHIEFS!!!!
HE IS A FRICKIN MORON!!!!! For once Randy Moss was correct on the sidelines against the Giants at the end of the game. 1st and 10 on the goalline and you run it 4 straight times. Moss said out loud to the coach "YOU NEVER TAKE YOUR PLAYMAKERS OFF THE FEILD IN A SITUATION LIKE THAT, NEVER!!!

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I DO NOT WANT NORV TURNER ANYWHERE NEAR THE CHIEFS!!!!
HE IS A FRICKIN MORON!!!!! For once Randy Moss was correct on the sidelines against the Giants at the end of the game. 1st and 10 on the goalline and you run it 4 straight times. Moss said out loud to the coach "YOU NEVER TAKE YOUR PLAYMAKERS OFF THE FEILD IN A SITUATION LIKE THAT, NEVER!!!

I was both stunned and amused as that whole sequence unfolded.