PDA

View Full Version : Shotenhemier's coaching tree: Herm Edwards, Tony Dungy, Marvin Lewis, Bill Cower

jAZ
01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
That's a hell of a coaching tree for our team and for our former head coach. Throw in Gunther and it ranks right up there with Bill Walsh's and Bill Parcells'.

cdcox
01-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Regular season maybe, but only one SB appearance (Steelers) in like 20 trips. It's way beyond coincidence.

MOhillbilly
01-06-2006, 09:56 AM
jaz

youre crazy.

Cormac
01-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Regular season maybe, but only one SB appearance (Steelers) in like 20 trips. It's way beyond coincidence.

I get your point, but Marvin Lewis can't be judged yet, and Dungy should be making that a second SB appearance this year. JMO.

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
It's early. My sarcasm meter hasn't had it's daily calibration.

So I'm not sure jAz is serious.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 10:00 AM
I didn't realize that Marvin Lewis had his start under Marty/CP. I'm now kinda disappointed that we didn't persue him after DV's 3rd year when he was available. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

In either case, I was suprised to see 4 successful current head coaches (out of 32) who were from our coaching staff under Marty. That's something to take pride in, IMO.

Some people just like to be pissed off I guess.

C-Mac
01-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Marvin Lewis was possibly under Marty in Washington, but never under Peterson to my knowledge.

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Can't argue that they are successful. They just don't have a branch that reaches the pinnacle.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Marvin Lewis was never under Marty, just under Cower
Not according to FoxSports.com's article...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2946983&postcount=8

Their (Peterson & Edwards') relationship continued in Kansas City when Peterson hired Edwards in 1989 and then Peterson hired Marvin Lewis in the same capacity in 1991. Both have since turned into successful head coaches in the league. Edwards was also mentored to coach by Tony Dungy, who the Chiefs DB coach his first three years in Kansas City. Edwards then took over as the Chiefs secondary coach from 1992-1994.

C-Mac
01-06-2006, 10:13 AM
I didnt realize that Lewis never played in the NFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Lewis
While Lewis never played in the National Football League, he had ample collegiate experience as both a player and a coach. He was linebackers coach of his alma mater, Idaho State University, (1981-1984,) linebacker coach at Long Beach State University (1985-1986,) the University of New Mexico (1987-1989,) and the University of Pittsburgh (1990-1991.)

In 1992, Marvin Lewis was hired by the Pittsburgh Steelers as linebackers coach. It was his first job in the professional ranks, and Lewis was with the organization until he was hired as the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens in 1996. In 2000, the Ravens won the Super Bowl, defeating the New York Giants 34-7. His defensive squad, led by Pro Bowl linebacker Ray Lewis (no relation) set several NFL regular season records, including recording four shutouts, allowing the fewest rushing yards (970) and the fewest points (165) in a 16-game season. Marvin Lewis' reputation as a defensive genius and a rising star among the ranks of the NFL's assistant coaches was solidified by the dominating performance of the Ravens.

In 2002, he was hired as the Washington Redskins' defensive coordinator and was with the team one year.

C-Mac
01-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Not according to FoxSports.com's article...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2946983&postcount=8

Their (Peterson & Edwards') relationship continued in Kansas City when Peterson hired Edwards in 1989 and then Peterson hired Marvin Lewis in the same capacity in 1991. Both have since turned into successful head coaches in the league. Edwards was also mentored to coach by Tony Dungy, who the Chiefs DB coach his first three years in Kansas City. Edwards then took over as the Chiefs secondary coach from 1992-1994.

I hear you... the article I posted though contradicts this writer.
???

milkman
01-06-2006, 10:16 AM
I didn't realize that Marvin Lewis had his start under Marty/CP. I'm now kinda disappointed that we didn't persue him after DV's 3rd year when he was available. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

I'm still pissed we didn't persue Lewis in '01 rather than hire Dick at all.

I was banging that drum as loud, and as often as I could.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 10:17 AM
While Lewis never played in the National Football League, he had ample collegiate experience as both a player and a coach. He was linebackers coach of his alma mater, Idaho State University, (1981-1984,) linebacker coach at Long Beach State University (1985-1986,) the University of New Mexico (1987-1989,) and the University of Pittsburgh (1990-1991.)

In 1992, Marvin Lewis was hired by the Pittsburgh Steelers as linebackers coach. It was his first job in the professional ranks
Hmmm... interesting. This claims (as you said) that Pitt was his first job (not KC). However, the chronology is missing 1991-1992, which is the year Fox claims Mavin was hired by Peterson.

Weird.

milkman
01-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Hmmm... interesting. This claims (as you said) that Pitt was his first job (not KC). However, the chronology is missing 1991-1992, which is the year Fox claims Mavin was hired by Peterson.

Weird.

Maybe the article is only referring to coaching gigs.
Lewis replaced Edwards as a scout with the Chiefs.

milkman
01-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Maybe the article is only referring to coaching gigs.
Lewis replaced Edwards as a scout with the Chiefs.

Which would also exclude him from the Marty coaching tree, since he never actually worked for Marty, but rather worked for the King.

DaneMcCloud
01-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Marvin Lewis was definitely in KC because I met him way back then. And don't forget about Mike McCarthy, currently the 49ers Offensive Coordinator. He started out under Marty as a tight ends coach and he's getting interviews for head coaching gigs now. He went to Baker University.

Dane

jAZ
01-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Which would also exclude him from the Marty coaching tree, since he never actually worked for Marty, but rather worked for the King.
Technically true... maybe I could reprase it to be the Carl Peterson football tree. Or the Chiefs Football family.

Oh and thanks for the clarification.