PDA

View Full Version : Hey Herm! Bring Ty Law with ya!

Tuckdaddy
01-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't that be nice.

SLAG
01-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Oh No Not again

ChiefsfaninPA
01-06-2006, 11:24 AM
There baaaaccckkkkk..............

joesomebody
01-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Ok Whitlock...

Let's get Jeff George while we're at it.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 11:33 AM
prolly not Law ... but maybe Abraham :D

“Herman Edwards has helped us grow into men,” defensive end John Abraham said loyally in November when the whispers surfaced that Edwards would succeed (Dick) Vermeil in Kansas City. “Anywhere he goes, I’d love to go with him.”

abraham is on a 1 year deal iirc

Rausch
01-06-2006, 11:34 AM

That would be ****ing sweet... :)

Hog Farmer
01-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Ty Law sucks.. only 10 pics this year.

jAZ
01-06-2006, 11:39 AM

"is" (meaning going forward) or "was" meaning free to go whereever in 06?

Chiefnj
01-06-2006, 11:43 AM

They tagged him last year.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 11:44 AM
his deal expires march 1st (this free agency) i believe....

he WAS in the last year of his contract or maybe he was tagged I forget.

but he had some contract issues.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-06-2006, 11:44 AM
They tagged him last year.

No man should ever be tagged.

HC_Chief
01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
.....and Coles, and Abraham while you're at it :)

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
No man should ever be tagged.

http://www.theessentials.com/images/us/local/products/viewlarger/1088_lg.jpg

LEFTYLARRY
01-06-2006, 11:46 AM
This Jetsfan can tell you herm Edwards is a very mixed bag.
He's basically a figurehead.
Forget about x's and O's.
You're getting a B.S. artist who say's ALL of the right things but is not really knowledgeable.
On the other hand if you have good assisstants, Herm will play a conservative run, run, run game and stay out of the way.
He does NOT understand talent or young players either.
Resigned the aged and over rated Curtis Martin to huge dollars and let Lamont Jordan sit while he was very cheap in cap dollars.
Didn't know how to use Santana Moss and by in large is a know-nothing.
All that being said, players love him and will play hard for him.

Coach
01-06-2006, 11:46 AM
We don't need Ty Law. I'm happy with Surtain and Warfield.

Gimmie someone who can bump Hicks out, and some DT's. A faster saftey would be nice as well.

jspchief
01-06-2006, 11:50 AM
We won't be able to afford Abraham. He's looking for big time money.

Hog Farmer
01-06-2006, 11:51 AM
This Jetsfan can tell you herm Edwards is a very mixed bag.
He's basically a figurehead.
Forget about x's and O's.
You're getting a B.S. artist who say's ALL of the right things but is not really knowledgeable.
On the other hand if you have good assisstants, Herm will play a conservative run, run, run game and stay out of the way.
He does NOT understand talent or young players either.
Resigned the aged and over rated Curtis Martin to huge dollars and let Lamont Jordan sit while he was very cheap in cap dollars.
Didn't know how to use Santana Moss and by in large is a know-nothing.
All that being said, players love him and will play hard for him.

Sore Loser! ROFL

Rausch
01-06-2006, 11:52 AM
.....and Coles, and Abraham while you're at it :)

Coles would have kicked ass for us this year in Parker's spot....

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 11:58 AM
We don't need Ty Law. I'm happy with Surtain and Warfield.

Gimmie someone who can bump Hicks out, and some DT's. A faster saftey would be nice as well.
i would prefer dumping wesley and moving Warfield to free safety.

get another cornerback

our coverage would be loads better imo

LEFTYLARRY
01-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Not a sore loser at all.
Herm is horrible and a liar to boot.
A great politician, who blamed COttrell & Vinny Testaverde first (even though he handcuffed him) then scapegoated Hackett and threw him under the BUS and then tried to deflect blame from himself and put it on Bradway.
He got a free pass on everything from the press afraid to criticize an African-American Coach.
He inherited a team that went 12-4, 8-8 after thwy lost the QB and 9-7 under Al Groh & he inherited 4 #1 DRAFT CHOICES and coles from the draft before and had a full draft plus 2 extra picks.
5 years later jets have won NOTHING and the team is in shambles because of Herm's poor decisions.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Not a sore loser at all.
A great politician, who blamed COttrell & Vinny Testaverde first (even though he handcuffed him) then scapegoated Hackett and threw him under the BUS and then tried to deflect blame from himself and put it on Bradway.
He got a free pass on everything from the press afraid to criticize an African-American Coach.
He inherited a team that went 12-4, 8-8 after thwy lost the QB and 9-7 under Al Groh & he inherited 4 #1 DRAFT CHOICES and coles from the draft before and had a full draft plus 2 extra picks.
5 years later jets have won NOTHING and the team is in shambles because of Herm's poor decisions.

Yeah dude your bitter, or you wouldn't have come over here to post. Plus all of the media coverage in NY is blasting him. If he wasn't that great there wouldn't be all of this backlash.

Brock
01-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Not a sore loser at all.

We're pretty familiar with Paul Hackett. I wish he had literally been thrown under a bus before he came to KC.

Chief Faithful
01-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Scapegoating Hackett is a sign of great wisdom that brings comfort to this fan.

picasso
01-06-2006, 12:21 PM
i would prefer dumping wesley and moving Warfield to free safety.

get another cornerback

our coverage would be loads better imo

I saw Wesley pull up a few times this year, it was disappointing. But he did lead in int's although mostly off deflections and also against New England. Still I can't say get rid of Wesley. If we could get Ty Law I would put Warfield in the nickel and rotate him with Sapp on blitz plays. If anything put Sapp into the safety position.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I saw Wesley pull up a few times this year, it was disappointing. But he did lead in int's although mostly off deflections and also against New England. Still I can't say get rid of Wesley. If we could get Ty Law I would put Warfield in the nickel and rotate him with Sapp on blitz plays. If anything put Sapp into the safety position.

i think free safety is a major weakness for pass defense.

our cornerbacks can't count on deep help so they have to play waaaay soft.

wesley's INT came from being a stuck in the middle of the field and grabbing overthrown balls. Warfield has the range to be able to cover the middle of the field and help the corners deep imo.

LEFTYLARRY
01-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I did NOT come over here to flame.
I came here to warn.
You guys warned us about HAckett nad you were 100% correct.
Believe me Herm is worse.
A great politician, who knows nothing aobut football.
The gaffes here were of the highest magnitude.
We had a great team 5 years ago, ready to compete for a BOWL.
We were beating NE & Miami our two chief competitors every time.
Herm turned gold into crap.
Players love him though and will play for him and he had 5 years to learn under Jets affirmitive action program so he's at least good enough so that first year or two you can make the playoffs off of Vermeils work and organization.
As time goes by, so will your chances.
Come to any Jet board and you'll be amazed at the glee.
Good Luck, I pormise you, you'll need it.
This is not Marvin Lewis or Lovie Smith.
This a former scout for KC and Dungy's DB's coach.
By the way, our secondary has been the pits since Herm took over and it was a team strength before he got there.
You'll see.
It takes 2 years to figure him out though.
He say's ALL the RIGHT tihngs and press is afraid to BADGER him.

Amnorix
01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Abraham is superb, and the Jets are in cap hell and I can't figure how they could tag him again. They're like $15+M over the cap or something silly.

Amnorix
01-06-2006, 01:54 PM
As for Law, he'll follow Herm, or anyone else, anywhere. All it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 01:56 PM
then scapegoated Hackett

Sorry, that shit won't sell here. That f*cker earned all the enmity he's received.

LEFTYLARRY
01-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Jon Abraham will be franchised or resigned.
We have Cap trouble on paper but not terrible in reality.
Pennington & Curtis Martin have already agreed to take less money and redo their contracts and a host of older guys will be let go.
I agree that Ty Law will be tough to keep but it's pretty much known he wants to go back to NE .

Amnorix
01-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Jon Abraham will be franchised or resigned.
We have Cap trouble on paper but not terrible in reality.
Pennington & Curtis Martin have already agreed to take less money and redo their contracts and a host of older guys will be let go.
I agree that Ty Law will be tough to keep but it's pretty much known he wants to go back to NE .

We'd take Ty back, and I'm sure he'd come here, but it's all about the MOOLAH. He'll go to whatever team offers him the most $$$, end of story. That's been proven beyond a doubt.

I'd like to see him back, but won't hold my breath.

To franchise a guy, you need ot have the room under the cap, and defensive linemen are a pretty big number -- like $6M or a little higher. I'm not sure you can easily/quickly clear THAT much cap space. I don't pretend to be an expert on the Jets cap situation, but it may not be as easy as you think.

You're also going to have a high draft pick, which is good and bad in that you'll need the cap room to sign those guys too...

Biggs
01-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah dude your bitter, or you wouldn't have come over here to post. Plus all of the media coverage in NY is blasting him. If he wasn't that great there wouldn't be all of this backlash.

I don't know my acid reflex is the same whether the Taco is good or bad

LEFTYLARRY
01-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I think Jets will trade down and then use our extra #4 from K.C., the extra picks for trading down AND the 2-3 supplemental picks we should get to trade back up in the next 2-3 rds. when somebody they love falls.
I think Jets could have an extra #3 , 5 and 7 from the losses of Lamont Jordan, Jason Ferguson & Kareem Mackenzie, all of whom were signed to huge contracts.
Anthony Becht was a former #1 pick and starter too that we lost.
I doubt Derrick Blaylock & Lance Legree will fully offset our losses in the Commisioner's eyes but Ya nevah know!

Amnorix
01-06-2006, 02:56 PM
I think Jets will trade down and then use our extra #4 from K.C., the extra picks for trading down AND the 2-3 supplemental picks we should get to trade back up in the next 2-3 rds. when somebody they love falls.
I think Jets could have an extra #3 , 5 and 7 from the losses of Lamont Jordan, Jason Ferguson & Kareem Mackenzie, all of whom were signed to huge contracts.
Anthony Becht was a former #1 pick and starter too that we lost.
I doubt Derrick Blaylock & Lance Legree will fully offset our losses in the Commisioner's eyes but Ya nevah know!

I never recall the arcane formula for compensation picks.

I also don't have nearly as much confidence in Bradway that you do. Or, I should say, I'm pretty confident Bradway won't do a very good job with his picks, for which I am grateful. He's had a few good ones, but overall I'm not very impressed with his GM abilities.

And being in the #4 spot may or may not get too many bites. People are wary of moving up because of the huge bonus/signing costs involved, as you guys learned from D-Rob a few years ago. It's a big number for an unproven rookie.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-06-2006, 02:59 PM
after reading that article about what a cancer Law has been in the Jets' locker room, I would not want him for free

Biggs
01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
after reading that article about what a cancer Law has been in the Jets locker room, I would not want him for free

Don't believe everything you read. Law basically has a 1 year deal. The Jets can't afford to bring him back. They needed to give the fans an excuse for letting him walk without negiotating with him. The stuff in the article was leaked by the Jets.

ChiefsFan4Life
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM

Can you please link to that quote

Thanks

Wile_E_Coyote
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Don't believe everything you read. Law basically has a 1 year deal. The Jets can't afford to bring him back. They needed to give the fans an excuse for letting him walk without negiotating with him.

11 million for next year? I can see him gone. I wish I could post the article for others to see, but no luck with a CP search

KCTitus
01-06-2006, 03:05 PM
I never recall the arcane formula for compensation picks.

There isnt an explicit formula...it's based on the net effect of FA gains vs. FA losses. It's about as subjective as a Holding penalty.

Hog Farmer
01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
If I remember right the Jets had about a #7 defense in 2004 and like #12 in 2005 with no offense to give them a break. So Herm can't be that bad. He's already proven to us that he makes great decisions.

Amnorix
01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
after reading that article about what a cancer Law has been in the Jets' locker room, I would not want him for free

He's not a cancer, he's just not a leader. Look, he's an X time pro bowler, whatever it is, 5? 6? and yet has never been a team captain for any team he's played for. He doesn't stay with the team during the offseason, and isn't a guy who hangs around the complex and show the younger guys what to do, etc.

If you want a very good corner who won't cause disruptions and speaks his mind, then he's your man. If you want a mentor, a team leader, someone to rally the troops and give guidance to younger players, then you've got the wrong guy.

But he's not a "cancer". If you have a seasoned pro team, he won't cause any problems. If you have a green team, then he might not be all you'd want for your money.

Amnorix
01-06-2006, 03:08 PM
There isnt an explicit formula...it's based on the net effect of FA gains vs. FA losses. It's about as subjective as a Holding penalty.

Right, not a completely spelled out formula, but I don't recall if it's based on the playing time of the FAs lost, or the value of the contracts they got, or what.

I know it's not exactly precise to say the least, that I agree with. But if a guy is a VERY big FA but blows out his knee and is lost for the season in training camp, I don't recall how that affects the team that lost/got him. Or if he's a big signing, but rides pine all year cuz he ain't what everyone hoped, etc.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-06-2006, 03:15 PM
He's not a cancer, he's just not a leader. Look, he's an X time pro bowler, whatever it is, 5? 6? and yet has never been a team captain for any team he's played for. He doesn't stay with the team during the offseason, and isn't a guy who hangs around the complex and show the younger guys what to do, etc.

If you want a very good corner who won't cause disruptions and speaks his mind, then he's your man. If you want a mentor, a team leader, someone to rally the troops and give guidance to younger players, then you've got the wrong guy.

But he's not a "cancer". If you have a seasoned pro team, he won't cause any problems. If you have a green team, then he might not be all you'd want for your money.

sounds like your describing James Hasty. They made Law out to be TO lite

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Can you please link to that quote

Thanks
don't remember exactly which article is was ... but it's from The Star

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/

LEFTYLARRY
01-06-2006, 03:17 PM
If I remember right the Jets had about a #7 defense in 2004 and like #12 in 2005 with no offense to give them a break. So Herm can't be that bad. He's already proven to us that he makes great decisions.

Because Herm refused to pass and Hackett called draw plays on 2nd and 25 and 3rd and 17, and because jets played bend but don't break defense and allowed 7-8 minute drives constantly, the games became very short with very few possessions and Jets defensive stats appear better that they really were.
Jets were loaded when Herm got there, Parcells organized the team and the 2 #1 picks we reiceved for Keyshawn Johnson and the package from NE for Bellichik loaded us up with good young players that Herm has pretty much squandered.

kcirnamffoh
01-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Because Herm refused to pass and Hackett called draw plays on 2nd and 25 and 3rd and 17, and because jets played bend but don't break defense and allowed 7-8 minute drives constantly, the games became very short with very few possessions and Jets defensive stats appear better that they really were.
Jets were loaded when Herm got there, Parcells organized the team and the 2 #1 picks we reiceved for Keyshawn Johnson and the package from NE for Bellichik loaded us up with good young players that Herm has pretty much squandered.

But see, none of that matters. What's important is that Peterson got his adopted son. Can pay Herm millions to live large with him in KC. Lamar gets his cut by filling the seats with a teasing team always on the cusp but never quite there. So ya see? Everybody's happy. The blind Chiefs fans will still flock to the stadium buying anything that's red with a number on it and continue to go home wondering where their money just went.

DJJasonp
01-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Wasnt Hasty the same type of player until the last year or so of his career?

Biggs
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM

The Jet D was awful this year. Couldn't stop the run with 3 first round picks on the D line and Vilma at MLB. Take a look at the stats from the games against you, Buffalo and Atlanta. Teams ran the ball down our throat all year. We had a pretty good secondary but stunk at the point of attack on both sides of the ball.

Amnorix
01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
sounds like your describing James Hasty. They made Law out to be TO lite

No CB can impact a football game the way an elite receiver can. When there's an elite receiver, the defense might need to adjust nearly everything to deal with him.

An elite CB doesn't affect running plays at all, and you can always just throw to someone else. Not that they're not rare and valuable, but a TO (ignoring his off the field idiocy) and Moss (ignoring his general stupidity) are "more impactful" than an elite CB, IMHO.