PDA

View Full Version : It's a deal

Boyceofsummer
01-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Edwards free to leave Jets
Chiefs will deal fourth-round pick if N.Y. coach hired
Posted: Friday January 6, 2006 1:20PM; Updated: Friday January 6, 2006 1:29PM

After three playoff appearances in five years on the Jets sideline, Herman Edwards will take his coaching talents to K.C. next season.
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Herman Edwards could be on his way to becoming the next Chiefs coach after Kansas City and the Jets agreed on a compensation deal Friday.

The Chiefs would give the Jets a surprisingly low fourth-round pick if they hire Edwards, who has ties to the team and general manager Carl Peterson. Because Edwards was still under contract with the Jets, the Chiefs needed to give up something to get him.

Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore said that Peterson was on his way to New York to begin negotiations. The commissioner's office approved the fourth-round pick as compensation earlier Friday morning and granted Kansas City permission to speak with Edwards, who technically remains the head coach of the Jets.

The breakthrough ended several days of speculation and behind-the scenes maneuvering among Edwards, the Jets and the Chiefs, who are looking to replace the retired Dick Vermeil.

Moore said he did not think a deal would be wrapped up right away but added "that could change."

Negotiations are not expected to be lengthy between Peterson and Edwards, who was clearly the Chiefs first choice all along. Peterson, perhaps only to add to his bargaining leverage with New York, had also talked with Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders and others.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

wutamess
01-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Where have I see this before? :hmmm:

~All over the front page maybe?

BigMeatballDave
01-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey, we need more of these threads. Myself and others aren't clear on who our next HC will be...

Nick Athan
01-06-2006, 01:22 PM
My sourses tell me that Herman Edwards best season record is 10-6.

Brock
01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I heard Herman Edwards might be the Chiefs next coach.

chasedude
01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Who's Herman Edwards? Just Joking......

Elvus
01-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I sincerely hope Herm Edwards is not the next head coach of the Chiefs. Sadly though, it appears he may very well be. :banghead:

In my opinion, when the Chiefs fail to make the playoffs again next year, due to Carl Petersons ineptitude, he should be the next of the Chiefs personnel to be replaced. He should be replaced for even thinking of hiring Herm Edwards.....:cuss:

After 19 years of being a Chiefs season ticket holder, throughout good and bad, I am considering not renewing my seats. Why in the hell would someone want a coach that just took a major market NFL team, the Jets, to a 4-12 record?

AND lose Al Saunders to boot! :mad:

phxchief
01-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Hey, we could always be Viking fans.

Bwana
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Read the front page of threads much?

penguinz
01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Why in the hell would someone want a coach that just took a major market NFL team, the Jets, to a 4-12 record?

This is not MLB. Each team has the same amount of money to spend on players. Size of market has nothing to do with it.

Frosty
01-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Why in the hell would someone want a coach that just took a major market NFL team, the Jets, to a 4-12 record?

Edwards is far from my first choice, but let's be a little fair here. The Jets 4-12 record was mostly the product of losing both the first and second string QB and half of the o-line while installing a new offense.

The Jets were within a field goal of reaching the AFC championship game the year before.

chiefsfaninNC
01-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I heard Herman Edwards might be the Chiefs next coach.

I hadn't heard that. I am glad you posted.

Duck Dog
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Wow, SummerofBoylove posted a thread using words, not pictures. Amazing.