PDA

View Full Version : Accordin to 810 ......

royr17
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Gunther Cunningham will be back as Defensive Coordinator.

Hopefully this will be true, cause we dont need to change whats workin on defense what guys already know.

If we do then we are officially screwed in the pooch on defense, and lets hope herm edwards doesnt change the offense.

HC : Herm Edwards
OC : Terry Shea
DC : Gunther Cunningham
ST : Mike Westoff

chiefsfaninNC
01-06-2006, 02:12 PM
What is it that is working about this defense?

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Hopefully this will be true, cause we dont need to change whats workin on defense what guys already know.

If we do then we are officially screwed in the pooch on defense, and lets hope herm edwards doesnt change the offense.

oh yea... cause our 25th ranked defense is just working soooooooooooo freakin good.

ChiefsfaninPA
He might not be able to stay. My sources tell me that Herm imposed a no wearing yellow shades on the sideline rule with the Jets and that was part of the trade package.

penguinz

What team did you watch this past season. What we were doing on D did not work.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 02:14 PM
25th ranked defense really fires me up :rolleyes:

ChiefsfaninPA

Playing our DB's 15 yards off of the receivers.:banghead:

royr17
The defense was startin to come around, i hold the defense struggle all on DV's shoulders.

Hog Farmer
THANK YOU, GOD!!

The last thing DV said to Gun when they were hugging and crying was " Dont change what youre doing, stay on their ass. Stay on their ass.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
It's not a real day on Chiefsplanet without some good old Gunther homering.

KC Dan
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
25th ranked defense really fires me up :rolleyes:
Better than #32......

ptlyon
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I heard somewhere where this _efense was not working.

Can't remember where though.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
One would say Carl hired Herm because Herm wouldn't argue any decisions.

Carl- Welcome aboard Herm, now this is how it's going to be...

Herm- Am I the head coach or are you?

jAZ
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
oh yea... cause our 25th ranked defense is just working soooooooooooo freakin good.
16th ranked in the only stat that matters.

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
The defense was startin to come around, i hold the defense struggle all on DV's shoulders.

Have you watched this year's road games?

:spock:

SCChief
01-06-2006, 02:18 PM

Run stopping. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this defense's ability to stop the run.

What would turn the pass defense around would be a legitimate pass-rushing threat other than Jared Allen. If there was another D-Lineman on the other side of JA, the team would get to the QB a lot more.

Well... that and actually bumping the receivers off their routes within the first 5 yards a bit more.

Bwana
01-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Great :shake:

ChiefsfaninPA
01-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Come on guys, the D wasn't that bad, take away six games and they did pretty decent.

wolfman jack
01-06-2006, 02:21 PM
It’s official. Herm Edwards is leaving the Jets and is going to Kansas City to become their new Head Coach, replacing Dick Vermeil. Several sources are confirming that the Jets have agreed to release Edwards from the last two years of his contract for a 4th round draft pick from the Chiefs this April.

The news ends one of the most tumultuous weeks in Jets history. With the retirement of Vermeil, Edwards was coveted by Kansas City, the place where he began his coaching career and now it’s clear that Jets owner Woody Johnson was not exactly enamored with Edwards as his coach for the long term. After leading the Jets to the playoffs three of his five years, Edwards was looking for a contract extension and raise. The Jets obviously were not interested in facilitating him. Edwards and his agent are now reportedly working on a long term contract with the Chiefs to complete the deal.

The Jets will now have to aggressively search for a replacement for Edwards and while there has been talk of possibly elevating offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger or defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, sources close to the team have told Jets Insider.com that they will first look outside the organization for a replacement. Although most of Edwards’ assistants are locked up for multiple years under contract, it’s unclear of their future until a new head coach is named. Check back to Jets Insider.com often for more information on this breaking story.

Log On To Jets Insider.com (http://www.jetsinsider.com/)

Discuss On The Jets Insider.com Fan Forum (http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/)

royr17
01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
This defense will be alot better next year with a year under the belt for the acquistions we picked up this year.

It takes time to learn a system completely different then what you was in.

Plus lets get a pass rush in all things are good.

ptlyon
01-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Come on guys, the D wasn't that bad, take away six games and they did pretty decent.

Take away 6 games and they'd be undefeated

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM

tell that to our playoff birth

Reaper16
It’s official. Herm Edwards is leaving the Jets and is going to Kansas City to become their new Head Coach, replacing Dick Vermeil. Several sources are confirming that the Jets have agreed to release Edwards from the last two years of his contract for a 4th round draft pick from the Chiefs this April.

The news ends one of the most tumultuous weeks in Jets history. With the retirement of Vermeil, Edwards was coveted by Kansas City, the place where he began his coaching career and now it’s clear that Jets owner Woody Johnson was not exactly enamored with Edwards as his coach for the long term. After leading the Jets to the playoffs three of his five years, Edwards was looking for a contract extension and raise. The Jets obviously were not interested in facilitating him. Edwards and his agent are now reportedly working on a long term contract with the Chiefs to complete the deal.

The Jets will now have to aggressively search for a replacement for Edwards and while there has been talk of possibly elevating offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger or defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, sources close to the team have told Jets Insider.com that they will first look outside the organization for a replacement. Although most of Edwards’ assistants are locked up for multiple years under contract, it’s unclear of their future until a new head coach is named. Check back to Jets Insider.com often for more information on this breaking story.

You're doing sports radio now? I thought you died around ten years ago. Good for you.

Chiefs Pantalones

Herm's assistants are under contract, that means they can't come here unless promotion, correct?

ChiefsfaninPA
01-06-2006, 02:25 PM

You're good.

The Bad Guy
01-06-2006, 02:27 PM
I'll be willing to allow another year for Gun.

Let him get his guys.

I don't want Shea on offense. Get Norv Turner. Westoff seems like a real good special teams guy.

ptlyon
You're good.

i gud syferin!

chagrin
screwed in the pooch on defense

NO, NO - it's screwed THE pooch!!!
:shake:
geesh!

:p

DeepSouth
01-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Run stopping. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this defense's ability to stop the run.

What would turn the pass defense around would be a legitimate pass-rushing threat other than Jared Allen. If there was another D-Lineman on the other side of JA, the team would get to the QB a lot more.

Well... that and actually bumping the receivers off their routes within the first 5 yards a bit more.

“Herman Edwards has helped us grow into men,” defensive end John Abraham said loyally in November when the whispers surfaced that Edwards would succeed (Dick) Vermeil in Kansas City. “Anywhere he goes, I’d love to go with him.”

chagrin
01-06-2006, 02:29 PM

That reminds me of my favorite football quote, "if it wasn't for that 7 game losing dtreak we'd be undefeated"

Thank you Dan Reeves

beer bacon

Thank you for posting this.

beavis
I hate KK, but be honest, in no way shape or form did he say it had been confirmed that Gun will be back. The only thing that was said was by Clinkscale, and he said that he thought Gun would be back.

Piper
01-06-2006, 02:30 PM
He might not be able to stay. My sources tell me that Herm imposed a no wearing yellow shades on the sideline rule with the Jets and that was part of the trade package.
Hermy doesn't impose rules. He uses suggestions and guidelines...

milkman
01-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Gun could really turn this defense around if Carl could just get him another 5 or 6 defensive superstars to build around.

Hell, I bet he could break the top 20!

Coogs
01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Gun could really turn this defense around if Carl could just get him another 5 or 6 defensive superstars to build around.

Hell, I bet he could break the top 20!

Might take a couple of years for them to jell though before they break into the top 20.

dirk digler
01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I hope Herm kicks Gun ass to the curb. This D is pathetic and lacks heart.

Coogs
01-06-2006, 02:45 PM

This is the worst damn news of the day if true.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Seriously, just let Herm bring Donnie Henderson.

beavis
01-06-2006, 02:47 PM
This is the worst damn news of the day if true.
It's not, the thread title is incredibly misleading.

Coogs
01-06-2006, 02:48 PM
One would say Carl hired Herm because Herm wouldn't argue any decisions.

Carl- Welcome aboard Herm, now this is how it's going to be...

Herm- Am I the head coach or are you?

CP = Al Davis

penchief
01-06-2006, 02:48 PM
WFAN's Francesca is reporting on Mike and the Mad Dog that the Jets will not be keeping any of their current assistant coaches.

Coogs
01-06-2006, 02:50 PM
It's not, the thread title is incredibly misleading.

Having the numbers 810 in there helps. I'm holding out hope.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 02:51 PM
CP = Al Davis

Some people say people that are alike, don't like each other... :hmmm:

beavis
01-06-2006, 02:54 PM
In fact, KK just said something to the effect that he thinks if Gun does come back, it might not be as D-Coordinator. Maybe some other job within the team.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Having the numbers 810 in there helps. I'm holding out hope.

i'm listening to 810 and they are NOT saying that gunther is staying.

they are saying that they think carl will try and get Edwards to keep gunther and that he probably will.

nobody is saying anything definite

milkman
01-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Might take a couple of years for them to jell though before they break into the top 20.

I say we sign Ty Law and John Abraham, trade for Kris Jenkins and Ed Reed, draft Michael Huff and Roderick Wright, and if he doesn't have them at least #20 by 2008, we fire his ass!

ptlyon
01-06-2006, 02:56 PM
In fact, KK just said something to the effect that he thinks if Gun does come back, it might not be as D-Coordinator. Maybe some other job within the team.

heh. the second kick in the nuts by Carl.

Coogs
01-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I say we sign Ty Law and John Abraham, trade for Kris Jenkins and Ed Reed, draft Michael Huff and Roderick Wright, and if he doesn't have them at least #2o by 2008, we fire his ass!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

beavis
01-06-2006, 02:58 PM
i'm listening to 810 and they are NOT saying that gunther is staying.

they are saying that they think carl will try and get Edwards to keep gunther and that he probably will.

nobody is saying anything definite
You're a couple of posts late there Sally. :p

Mecca
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I say we sign Ty Law and John Abraham, trade for Kris Jenkins and Ed Reed, draft Michael Huff and Roderick Wright, and if he doesn't have them at least #20 by 2008, we fire his ass!

That's not good enough man, he still needs another shutdown corner and stud LB before he really has anything to work with.......

Coogs
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM

Sunday night custodian of the upper deck I hope.

milkman
01-06-2006, 03:06 PM
That's not good enough man, he still needs another shutdown corner and stud LB before he really has anything to work with.......

Com'on, he's a freakin' genious.
If he can't do it with 10 studs on defense, no one can!

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't want Shea on offense. Get Norv Turner. Westoff seems like a real good special teams guy.

I bet it's going to be Solari.

shakesthecat
01-06-2006, 03:12 PM
I've seen enough of Gun's work the past 2 years.

He needs to go.

beavis
01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Sunday night custodian of the upper deck I hope.
I suppose he would work in that role. Just imagine after the game, Gun up in the stands yelling at people to get out like he does at his assistants. I know I'd be getting the hell out of there.

banyon
01-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I hope next year's Chiefs staff looks like this:

HC:Herman Edwards (like it or not it's done)
OC:Norv Turner (if Saunders is gone)
DC:Ron Meeks (hopefully that's why they interviewed him--he helped turn around Indy D in 2 years)
OL:Mike Scolari (Irv Eatman 2nd)
QBs:Terry Shea (he's gotta go somewhere)
RBs:James Saxon (RB's have been great!!)
WRs:Charlie Joiner (doin fine)
TEs:Jason Verduzsco (yeah he's a douchebag, but our TE's play really well, except K.W)
DL: Denny Marcin (Jets DL coach--cannot be worse than Big Daddy and Karmelowicz)
LBs:Gunther Cunningham (this is the one place where you can incoherently yell at people and get them to respond well)
DB's: Corwin Brown (Jets Db coach-their secondary has been solid)
SP teams: Mike Westhoff-(Jets SP teams-Ganz has slipped lately)

I don't know how the contract situations work out, but hopefully Herm can drag over the Key coaches on D.

The Bad Guy
01-06-2006, 03:53 PM
I hope next year's Chiefs staff looks like this:

HC:Herman Edwards (like it or not it's done)
OC:Norv Turner (if Saunders is gone)
DC:Ron Meeks (hopefully that's why they interviewed him--he helped turn around Indy D in 2 years)
OL:Mike Scolari (Irv Eatman 2nd)
QBs:Terry Shea (he's gotta go somewhere)
RBs:James Saxon (RB's have been great!!)
WRs:Charlie Joiner (doin fine)
TEs:Jason Verduzsco (yeah he's a douchebag, but our TE's play really well, except K.W)
DL: Denny Marcin (Jets DL coach--cannot be worse than Big Daddy and Karmelowicz)
LBs:Gunther Cunningham (this is the one place where you can incoherently yell at people and get them to respond well)
DB's: Corwin Brown (Jets Db coach-their secondary has been solid)
SP teams: Mike Westhoff-(Jets SP teams-Ganz has slipped lately)

I don't know how the contract situations work out, but hopefully Herm can drag over the Key coaches on D.

Ron Meeks? So we could play a cover 2 shell all game?

No thank you. He sucks.

I'll take Donnie Henderson.

banyon
01-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Ron Meeks? So we could play a cover 2 shell all game?

No thank you. He sucks.

I'll take Donnie Henderson.

I think Henderson is going to be the next Saints HC.

He'd be good too. But Meeks is good because of how he improved Indy's pass rush.

KevB
01-06-2006, 04:02 PM
I think Henderson is going to be the next Saints HC.

He'd be good too. But Meeks is good because of how he improved Indy's pass rush.

New personnel improved Indy's pass rush.

el borracho
01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I thought Rich Scanlon was going to be the new DC. :shrug:

jAZ
01-06-2006, 04:04 PM
tell that to our playoff birth
Why not blame that on the offense and Willie Roaf's inability to stay healthy?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 04:05 PM

That was after he got hired to be Jesus by God. He turned it down, more perks in heaven.

BigChiefFan
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't know if Gunther will be back or not, but I do think it's entirely possible that he will be back. I seem to recall him interviewing for the Jets under Herm Edwards before we landed him.

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
That was after he got hired to be Jesus by God. He turned it down, more perks in heaven.

I thought Carl was God.

el borracho
01-06-2006, 04:10 PM
You say that as though Rich couldn't do both at the same time better than everyone else in the world put together twice.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Very good points, both. ROFL

tk13
01-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm a big Donnie Henderson fan, but I'm more receptive to Gun if we had a defensive head coach on top of him like Herm. That's when Gun has done his best work... under Marty and Jeff Fisher, when he's had a defensive coach above him leading the way.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Gun's just not very good at evaluating defensive talent. I don't think he should come back but aslong as he's not picking the D players anymore it should improve some.

Malcor
01-06-2006, 04:38 PM
I just hope it spells the end of McPassOn's career--assuming he was playing because of DV. That move alone improves the team...

beavis
01-06-2006, 04:43 PM
He's going to play all 4 defensive line positions, so we'll really only need 8 players on that side of the ball.

Hydrae
01-06-2006, 04:58 PM
I am not understanding the love of Henderson. Here are some stats for the two teams defenses this season:

Yards per game - KC - 328.1
NYJ - 308.8

3rd down conversions against - KC - 37.9 %
NYJ - 41.5 %

4th down conversions against - KC - 36.8 %
NYJ - 82.4 %

Penalties/yards - KC - 90/805
NYJ - 115/981

Points per game - KC - 20.3
NYJ - 22.2

beavis
01-06-2006, 05:02 PM
I am not understanding the love of Henderson. Here are some stats for the two teams defenses this season:

Yards per game - KC - 328.1
NYJ - 308.8

3rd down conversions against - KC - 37.9 %
NYJ - 41.5 %

4th down conversions against - KC - 36.8 %
NYJ - 82.4 %

Penalties/yards - KC - 90/805
NYJ - 115/981

Points per game - KC - 20.3
NYJ - 22.2
I'm thinking they might have had a couple of injuries working against them.

Hydrae
01-06-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm thinking they might have had a couple of injuries working against them.

Looking at their depth chart, noone on the defense started less than 13 games. :shrug:

*edit - Just have to point out that we had more injury-like issues with Sims out for 10 games and the Warfield suspension to start the season.

DaWolf
01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Well just remember 2 years ago Herm tried to hire Gun for DC. He was their first choice, along with Atlanta's and ours. Gun decided to come here. So Herm keeping Gun is no surprise...

tk13
01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Well what killed the Jets defense was that their offense was horrible because they were playing a bunch of 3rd stringers. Just look at that last MNF game... they didn't get a first down until the 3rd quarter. Hard for the defense to hang in there when the offense doesn't move the ball at all.

Ralphy Boy
01-06-2006, 06:25 PM

I'm so fricking sick of people thinking that Shea will be our OC and that he'll be a good one when he sucked giant King Kong sized balls in Chicago.

Chicago's offense got better after he left than when he was there, with a rookie QB. The only upgrade they had was Muhammad who had a whopping 750 yards receiving.

Maybe, just maybe, we make Jason Verduzco our OC, he helped Saunders coordinate the passing game anyway I think and not Shea at least not last year according to their bio's on KCChiefs.com

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Why not blame that on the offense and Willie Roaf's inability to stay healthy?
because the offense was one of the best in the league...

the defense was one of the worst

the Talking Can
01-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Chicago's offense got better after he left than when he was there, with a rookie QB. The only upgrade they had was Muhammad who had a whopping 750 yards receiving.

their offense is ranked 26th with a 16 point scoreing average...they suck, even after acquiring Muhammad this year...

they had 0 offensive talent last year...Shea was not the problem..

Count Alex's Losses
01-06-2006, 07:16 PM
And the nightmare continues.

The Bad Guy
01-06-2006, 07:39 PM
their offense is ranked 26th with a 16 point scoreing average...they suck, even after acquiring Muhammad this year...

they had 0 offensive talent last year...Shea was not the problem..

Yes, he was part of it.

He had Thomas Jones and could have heavily relied on the run.

Instead, he tried to win games with the ball in the hands of Craig Krenzel.

That's not utilizing talent.

LiL stumppy
01-06-2006, 07:41 PM
You have to give Gunther more of a chance.He has has one off-season with talented players and another with out any.I think we should how he does this year.

brent102fire
01-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Keep the Faith, Gun will have this D steam rollin' soon. Don't forget his D is still in the works...and they have shown improvement. Don't let a few games take away from their accomplishments they made this year. Every D, whether great or average, gets kicked in the nuts every now and then. The D got kicked in the nuts in Denver and NY, but got back on their feet and punched a few teams in the mouth.

harpes
01-06-2006, 09:07 PM
This year were going to play DB's only 14 yards off the recievers.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-06-2006, 09:11 PM
NO to Shea, he's a nightmare and the chicago peeps thought he was an absolute doofus. If no other option exists we can go with Solari.