PDA

View Full Version : If you haven't stopped by JetsInsider today, you don't know what you're missing

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2006, 02:46 PM
http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107265

They are imploding over there. Talkin about Abraham and Law definately coming with Herm. Not to mention coaches. A lot of them talk tough but they are obviously taking this pretty hard.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 02:49 PM
They can keep their offensive coaches...

jynni
01-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Over at theganggreen there is a thread where they are talking about what a good pickup Jordan Black would be...

Hog Farmer
01-06-2006, 02:51 PM
That must mean his players are loyal to him. GEEZ, THAT MIGHT BE A GOOD THING.

LEFTYLARRY
01-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Go to theGangreen.com or Jetsaddicts and you'll see the joy there.
One poster on Gangreen.com did a 30 page brief on how terrible Herm & Bradway are .

SPchief
01-06-2006, 02:55 PM
posted by: mrcoops "When the Chiefs win what in 2008? 4 games? 5 games? Or when the Chiefs eke out a 6-3 thriller against the Cardinals thanks to Hermball? If there is any coach capable of negating the great offensive talent that KC has, it's ol' conservative, coachin' scared Herm."

Sound Familar?? :hmmm:

KC Dan
01-06-2006, 02:56 PM
posted by: mrcoops "When the Chiefs win what in 2008? 4 games? 5 games? Or when the Chiefs eke out a 6-3 thriller against the Cardinals thanks to Hermball? If there is any coach capable of negating the great offensive talent that KC has, it's ol' conservative, coachin' scared Herm."

Sound Familar?? :hmmm:
Yeah, there are idiots everywhere.

kcirnamffoh
01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
There are NY media types warning Chiefs fans to prepare for the return of ugly sluggish punt fests that leave you feeling like you just got hit with a wall of mud. Omigod. Is Peterson doing us again? Omigod. Help me.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:05 PM
That must mean his players are loyal to him. GEEZ, THAT MIGHT BE A GOOD THING.

Yeah...appears to be good enough for a 41-44 losing record in a five year span. Yippee...can't wait to continue another 5 year block of Carl Peterson/KC Chiefs mediocre football. Let the tradition roll on.

shakesthecat
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Yeah...appears to be good enough for a 41-44 losing record in a five year span. Yippee...can't wait to continue another 5 year block of Carl Peterson/KC Chiefs mediocre football. Let the tradition roll on.

So who was your choice?

So far I've seen you do nothing but complain....as usual.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
So who was your choice?

Finish him.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:12 PM
So who was your choice?

For starters somebody that doesn't cost draft picks and hasn't already proved themselves to be mediocre.

As for the complaining...You are a fool as usual. First off you haven't even seen me much if at all on this board period as I am very rarely on here.

How is Tim Couch doing? He still better than Peyton Manning?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 03:13 PM
For starters somebody that doesn't cost draft picks and hasn't already proved themselves to be mediocre.

As for the complaining...You are a fool as usual. First off you haven't even seen me much if at all on this board period as I am very rarely on here.

Flawless victory.

SPchief
01-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Flawless victory.

ROFL

KCTitus
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM

Shows how much you know...it's only 4 more years.

ptlyon
01-06-2006, 03:16 PM

**** Peyton Manning. **** him. Just **** Peyton Manning.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Finish him.

You want to "finish" me it's going to take a bit more than the couple rocks that rattle around in his head....Maybe if you toss your couple pebbles in with his, we can grab some string and play a game of marbles for some minor entertainment.

SPchief
01-06-2006, 03:17 PM
wow, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning??

The Bad Guy
01-06-2006, 03:18 PM

C'mon now.

Bill Belichick had a losing record before coming to New England.

And to be fair, his losing record is attributed to injuries as well. He's 3 games under 500, but there's no way he loses 12 games last year without losing just about every offensive impact player he had.

I love how Herm haters talk about his record, but leave out he made the playoffs 60% of the time. He beat SD, which Marty-haters will say is nothing special, across country when they were 13-3. He managed to play Pitt as tough as you could before losing in OT because of a FG kicker.

Herm was conservative because he had Hackett. Marty was conservative, but Cam Cameron changed that.

Who Herm surrounds himself with will determine his tenure here.

I would have killed to make the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years instead of once in the last 8.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Shows how much you know...it's only 4 more years.

Surely we can get a year extension somewhere in the process.

ptlyon
wow, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning??

****ing Peyton Manning, that's who.

shakesthecat

Good non-answer. Really stuck your neck out on that one!

I know, I know...your boss blocks this site. Or was it you that lost your keyboard for a year? I can't keep you and ck's excuses straight anymore.

Still think Jared Allen was a terrible draft pick?

SPchief
01-06-2006, 03:20 PM
**** the Manning brothers

Chiefs Pantalones
You want to "finish" me it's going to take a bit more than the couple rocks that rattle around in his head....Maybe if you toss your couple pebbles in with his, we can grab some string and play a game of marbles for some minor entertainment.

No, I was saying YOU finish him.

Now take that back... :harumph:

Chief Faithful
Darn it, that means we are going to have to endure much more pounding it out with Larry Johnson behind the Chiefs OL....wait...never mind.

SPchief
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Good non-answer. Really stuck your neck out on that one!

I know, I know...your boss blocks this site. Or was it you that lost your keyboard for a year? I can't keep you and ck's excuses straight anymore.

Still think Jared Allen was a terrible draft pick?

Fight to your might...

KCTitus
01-06-2006, 03:22 PM

You didnt read his last PC, then...he said this was his last re-up when he signed the last 4 year extension.

I guess you can continue to hope he does. I wouldnt want my scapegoat to leave either.

Rausch

Not with Peterson.

He's already stated he's done after this...

ck_IN
<i>So who was your choice?

So far I've seen you do nothing but complain....as usual.</i>

Don't mean to intrude but what I wanted was to wait about a month. When all the playoffs and SB are done, find a youngish assistant coach, preferably defensive, from one of the playoff teams. I'd like to see us grow our own coach with our own identity rather then have the former coach of (fill in team name).

Rausch
01-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Darn it, that means we are going to have to endure much more pounding it out with Larry Johnson behind the Chiefs OL....wait...never mind.

LJ would break 2k.

Relying on average WR's to carry a passing game isn't the smartest plan out there. Might as well lean on LJ and take pressure off of Green and an O line short a HOF'er or two next year...

htismaqe
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
<i>So who was your choice?

So far I've seen you do nothing but complain....as usual.</i>

Don't mean to intrude but what I wanted was to wait about a month. When all the playoffs and SB are done, find a youngish assistant coach, preferably defensive, from one of the playoff teams. I'd like to see us grow our own coach with our own identity rather then have the former coach of (fill in team name).

Who would you hire that is not the "former coach of"?

Every NFL head coaching candidate has coached somewhere before.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:47 PM
No, I was saying YOU finish him.

Now take that back... :harumph:

Sorry about that....

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I love how Herm haters talk about his record, but leave out he made the playoffs 60% of the time. He beat SD, which Marty-haters will say is nothing special, across country when they were 13-3. He managed to play Pitt as tough as you could before losing in OT because of a FG kicker.

He took over a team that didn't have a single losing season in the four leading up to his tenure...So he took over a solid program. He also came in one year after they just had an unprecedented 4 first round draft picks in Abraham, Ellis, Becht and Pennington so he had a very nice infusion of youthful talent to boot. All that said he has had two good but far from great 10-6 seasons, a decent 9-7 and two rotten years. Not horrible, not great...very mediocre.

I'm not saying he is horrible...just very average. If a continuation of very average is what you were hoping for I think happiness will abound.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Sorry about that....

No biggie, I'm with ya.

I don't like the hire, but that's how it is...

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Not with Peterson.

He's already stated he's done after this...

Ahhhh....I was figuring he meant Herm got a 4 year deal....But good to know we can have a 4 year count down on Peterson. Assuming he can be taken at his word..

The Bad Guy
01-06-2006, 03:52 PM
He took over a team that didn't have a single losing season in the four leading up to his tenure...So he took over a solid program. He also came in one year after they just had an unprecedented 4 first round draft picks in Abraham, Ellis, Becht and Pennington so he had a very nice infusion of youthful talent to boot. All that said he has had two good but far from great 10-6 seasons, a decent 9-7 and two rotten years. Not horrible, not great...very mediocre.

I'm not saying he is horrible...just very average. If a continuation of very average is what you were hoping for I think happiness will abound.

Since when was Becht a nice infusion of young talent? The guy was a bum.

He was 10-6 in a division where the SB champs resided. That's impressive.

Very mediocre coaches don't make the playoffs and win a game in them.

Some of you are just too hell bent on hating on anything Marty Shottenheimer to accept this guy.

Chief Faithful
01-06-2006, 03:52 PM
LJ would break 2k.

Relying on average WR's to carry a passing game isn't the smartest plan out there. Might as well lean on LJ and take pressure off of Green and an O line short a HOF'er or two next year...

LJ would break 2K and Holmes would break 1K as backup.

Lots of play action and more control of the game clock, which also helps the defense. I don't see any down sides which ever direction the offense takes because they have good talent and coaching.

I just think the Jets fans are warning the Chiefs fans because they saw how Edwards could not work miracles with Jimmy Raye, Paul Hackett, and poor talent on offense.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:58 PM

Some of you are just too hell bent on hating on anything Marty Shottenheimer to accept this guy.

Did I say they were all HOF'er out of that first round? You telling me getting Abraham, Ellis and Pennington was a talent infusion? To go with all their other picks?

We went 10-6 this year and god forbid it could end up being from where the SB champs reside....Does that all of the sudden make our season impressive?

Brian Billick rode the coatails of a great defense built by Marvin Lewis to not only playoff wins but to a Super Bowl. Would you consider him anything better than a mediocre coach?

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I just think the Jets fans are warning the Chiefs fans because they saw how Edwards could not work miracles with Jimmy Raye, Paul Hackett, and poor talent on offense.

If Curtis Martin, L.Coles, S.Moss and C.Pennington constitue poor talent on offense then we are probably in deep shit.

Pitt Gorilla
01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Abraham would look good in red and gold.

Rausch
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
If Curtis Martin, L.Coles, S.Moss and C.Pennington constitue poor talent on offense then we are probably in deep shit.

Outside of WR we've got better talent here.

And the Jets don't have both Coles and Moss...

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Abraham would look good in red and gold.

He sure would...Any idea if he has a good relationship with Edwards? I remember the tiff they had about him not wanting to play in the playoffs and risk injury without a new contract...not sure if that had any lingering effect or not.

Biggs
01-06-2006, 04:07 PM

Dave Wanstadt record in the same division during the same time period blows Herms record away. Herm is a solid mediocre coach.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:09 PM
And the Jets don't have both Coles and Moss...

They did for two of those five years....not to mention Chrebet who was very solid for most of his time.

banyon
01-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Did anyone see this quote in the Star?

Blame it on Woody
Now that the Jets’ third head coach in Woody Johnson’s six seasons as owner appears about to depart, it’s time for this long-frazzled franchise to look in the mirror. The owner’s mirror.
Why was Herman Edwards, after having repeatedly vowed during the season that he would remain as the Jets’ coach, apparently so quick to jump to the Kansas City Chiefs? Just as Bill Belichick was so quick to jump to the New England Patriots after the 1999 season? And just as Al Groh was so quick to jump to the University of Virginia after the 2000 season?
The only common denominator to those three departures is Woody Johnson. …
“Herman Edwards has helped us grow into men,” defensive end John Abraham said loyally in November when the whispers surfaced that Edwards would succeed (Dick) Vermeil in Kansas City. “Anywhere he goes, I’d love to go with him.”
Dave Anderson,
The New York Times

Not that it's a sure thing, but it sure sounds nice.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 04:11 PM
He sure would...Any idea if he has a good relationship with Edwards? I remember the tiff they had about him not wanting to play in the playoffs and risk injury without a new contract...not sure if that had any lingering effect or not.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Herman Edwards has helped us grow into men,” defensive end John Abraham said loyally in November when the whispers surfaced that Edwards would succeed (Dick) Vermeil in Kansas City. “Anywhere he goes, I’d love to go with him.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:12 PM

Dave Anderson,
The New York Times

Didn't see that...Thx

Mr. Kotter
01-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Dave Anderson,
The New York Times

PBJ PBJ PBJ

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
oops, minute too late...my bad

Mecca
01-06-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm convinced atleast half the board would be mad no matter who we hired. Alot of us as Chiefs fans are really really good at bitching and never being positive about anything. Sometimes the constant bitching to bitch stuff gets real old real fast.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Dave Wanstadt record in the same division during the same time period blows Herms record away. Herm is a solid mediocre coach.

And here are a few other stats and facts:

Took over the 8th ranked defense and followed up with 17th, 24th and 20th ranked defenses the following three years? He did have 7th ranked D in his 4th year. One good D in 5 years certainly nothing to scream anything but mediocre at best on that side of the ball..

Offense anyone? 26th, 23rd, 21st, 12th and 30th ranked offenses he put on the field in his 5 years...

Is he horrible? Sure doesn't appear to be. Is he a nice guy? Appears to be...Is he anything more than a middle of the road coach? Not much to argue differently. Should a team be coughing up draft picks for a guy that appears to be very average? Not in my book.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-06-2006, 04:21 PM

Took over the 8th ranked defense and followed up with 17th, 24th and 20th ranked defenses the following three years? He did have 7th ranked D in his 4th year. One good D in 5 years certainly nothing to scream anything but mediocre at best on that side of the ball..

Offense anyone? 26th, 23rd, 21st, 12th and 30th ranked offenses he put on the field in his 5 years...

Is he horrible? Sure doesn't appear to be. Is he a nice guy? Appears to be...Is he anything more than a middle of the road coach? Not much to argue differently. Should a team be coughing up draft picks for a guy that appears to be very average? Not in my book.

Yep. Good points.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm convinced atleast half the board would be mad no matter who we hired. Alot of us as Chiefs fans are really really good at bitching and never being positive about anything. Sometimes the constant bitching to bitch stuff gets real old real fast.

Maybe someday in the next 3 decades the fan base will be graced with success and a Super Bowl....Then we will get a sample of how the fan base is in that environment. Hopefully we aren't all dead before we get to find out.

Biggs
01-06-2006, 04:22 PM

He is folksy and the media loves him. I don't think I ever saw him cry although it was reported that he and Chad cried together in his office after Chads injury. That might be seen as a plus for you guys.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Maybe someday in the next 3 decades the fan base will be graced with success and a Super Bowl....Then we will get a sample of how the fan base is in that environment. Hopefully we aren't all dead before we get to find out.

Because there was a superior god of coaching available that would surely take us to the promised land. Bitching about Edwards because of what the team has been for 30 years is stupid. I'm sure Herman Edwards is why we haven't won a playoff game in 13 years......

Chief Faithful
01-06-2006, 04:23 PM

S. Moss is top talent that was often injured and took a long time to develop. Parcels almost lost patience and jettisoned the guy as a rookie. The Redskins are the first to get real consistent production from Moss.

L. Coles? Better than average according to some, but I've never been impressed.

Curtis Martin is there best talent and is the main reason in my mind they had any success. Too bad he has looked well past his prime recently.

Pennington I like and when healthy just proves my point that with a little talent on offense they could have been the team to beat.

What about the OL? An average group, but we know is the heart of any really good offense.

What about Chrebet? He has been their top receiver for years and I don't think he is much better than Chris Horn. Or maybe we should consider their TE position...or maybe not as there is not a player in the bunch. Should we talk FB? No, waste of time.

There is no comparison to the talent that exists in KC on offense. It will be interesting to see what Edwards can do with top notch offensive talent and good coordinators.

PS - I am assuming Hackett and Raye never grace the KC sidelines ever again.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 04:25 PM
The Jets never got solid production out of Moss because it's hard to use a downfield big play reciever when your QB has a noodle arm.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Because there was a superior god of coaching available that would surely take us to the promised land. Bitching about Edwards because of what the team has been for 30 years is stupid. I'm sure Herman Edwards is why we haven't won a playoff game in 13 years......

Jim Fassel was available....Has a better track record than Ewdards and wouldn't have cost any draft picks. Why not him if you want proven mediocre? Why not try and shoot for a little more than average? Why not try and find the next Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis and shoot for a little more than proven mediocrity?

Biggs
01-06-2006, 04:31 PM
S. Moss is top talent that was often injured and took a long time to develop. Parcels almost lost patience and jettisoned the guy as a rookie. The Redskins are the first to get real consistent production from Moss.

L. Coles? Better than average according to some, but I've never been impressed.

Curtis Martin is there best talent and is the main reason in my mind they had any success. Too bad he has looked well past his prime recently.

Pennington I like and when healthy just proves my point that with a little talent on offense they could have been the team to beat.

What about the OL? An average group, but we know is the heart of any really good offense.

What about Chrebet? He has been their top receiver for years and I don't think he is much better than Chris Horn. Or maybe we should consider their TE position...or maybe not as there is not a player in the bunch. Should we talk FB? No, waste of time.

There is no comparison to the talent that exists in KC on offense. It will be interesting to see what Edwards can do with top notch offensive talent and good coordinators.

PS - I am assuming Hackett and Raye never grace the KC sidelines ever again.

Santana Moss never played for Parcells he was drafted by Bradway, he traded up to get him. If it wasn't for Moss in the playoffs the Jets would have lost to SD and been blown out by the Steelers.

Chrebet hasn't been the #2 WR on the Jets since 92 he was pushed to #3 in 93.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Jim Fassel was available....Has a better track record than Ewdards and wouldn't have cost any draft picks. Why not him if you want proven mediocre? Why not try and shoot for a little more than average? Why not try and find the next Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis and shoot for a little more than proven mediocrity?

What exactly has Marvin Lewis done as a head coach that makes him better than Edwards?

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
What about Chrebet? He has been their top receiver for years and I don't think he is much better than Chris Horn.

After his first four or five years in the league Chrebet held NFL records for that point in a career....I would say the guy deserves a little more respect than a Chris Horn comparison.

As for the comparison to the KC offense....I wasn't comparing the two. I was just pointing out the excuse being made for Herm's poor offensive performances being blamed on "poor talent" is probably not real accurate.

kcirnamffoh
01-06-2006, 04:34 PM

Well, based on the last 16 years, it won't be within the next four. Just think what kind of life could be injected into this fan base if Peterson was to suddenly resign. That would almost be like winning the SB.

I'm tired of his act. He is the common thread, therefore, IMHO making him the problem. Yeah, yeah, yeah he fielded consistently competitive teams but none even resembled a threat to win the SB. You would think somewhere along that line there would have been at least one.

I'll continue to watch, though, and it's at least fun to have a favorite team, win or lose.

tk13
01-06-2006, 04:35 PM

Whoa, whoa whoa, don't give me that yardage BS.

Their defenses were ranked 12th, 14th, 8th, and 4th those first four years. You people are hilarious. When the NFL starts playing games that are decided by yardage totals, then you can use that stat to bash Herm Edwards.

kcirnamffoh
01-06-2006, 04:35 PM

Well, based on the last 16 years, it won't be within the next four. Just think what kind of life could be injected into this fan base if Peterson was to suddenly resign. That would almost be like winning the SB.

I'm tired of his act. He is the common thread, therefore, IMHO making him the problem. Yeah, yeah, yeah he fielded consistently competitive teams but none even resembled a threat to win the SB. You would think somewhere along that line there would have been at least one.

I'll continue to watch, though, and at the very least it's fun to have a favorite team, win or lose.

Chief Faithful
01-06-2006, 04:36 PM
The Jets never got solid production out of Moss because it's hard to use a downfield big play reciever when your QB has a noodle arm.

Your probably right.

I just feel the type of game plans used in NY where more a product of talent ( of course there is the Raye / Hackett thing) than Edwards measure as a coach.

Tony Dungy was another example of a good coach that had a bad reputation for his offensive coaching abilities until he went to Indy. Was his reputation more a by-product of talent and his assistant's or was Tony the problem? Tony is just a good coach that does the best with the talent he has.

I think Edwards will have much better success with offense in KC than he had in NY. Like Tony Dungy I think Edwards is a good coach that will do the best can be done with the talent given.

Chief Faithful
01-06-2006, 04:37 PM
After his first four or five years in the league Chrebet held NFL records for that point in a career....I would say the guy deserves a little more respect than a Chris Horn comparison.

As for the comparison to the KC offense....I wasn't comparing the two. I was just pointing out the excuse being made for Herm's poor offensive performances being blamed on "poor talent" is probably not real accurate.

In reality we probably don't need to say more than Raye and Hackett.

kcirnamffoh
01-06-2006, 04:38 PM
oops

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:39 PM
What exactly has Marvin Lewis done as a head coach that makes him better than Edwards?

For starters he proved himself to be one hell of a defensive coach before even becoming a HC....That itself is much more than Herm has proven. But I would say taking over a pitiful 2-14 squad to go 8-8, 8-8 and 11-5 in his three yeas as HC coach blows away anything Herm has done to date.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Whoa, whoa whoa, don't give me that yardage BS.

Their defenses were ranked 12th, 14th, 8th, and 4th those first four years. You people are hilarious. When the NFL starts playing games that are decided by yardage totals, then you can use that stat to bash Herm Edwards.

And the NFL official stat rankings of Offenses and Defenses are based on points? Uhhh, no that would be yardage.

If you want to call it BS and fight the system then take it up with the NFL.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 04:46 PM
In reality we probably don't need to say more than Raye and Hackett.

Nope...But does call into question anyone willing to turn their offense over to them after seeing them in action here in KC.

Rausch
01-06-2006, 04:47 PM
And the NFL official stat rankings of Offenses and Defenses are based on points? Uhhh, no that would be yardage.

The Pats defense wasn't all cherries and roses in yardage allowed either but their red zone defense was tough as nails.

PTS allowed and pts scored is all that matters.

tk13
01-06-2006, 04:48 PM

I'm not going to fight any system. I'm going to use common sense. That may be how they rank them, but that's not how you win games.

tk13
01-06-2006, 04:49 PM
For starters he proved himself to be one hell of a defensive coach before even becoming a HC....That itself is much more than Herm has proven. But I would say taking over a pitiful 2-14 squad to go 8-8, 8-8 and 11-5 in his three yeas as HC coach blows away anything Herm has done to date.
Herm has a great defensive pedigree, his whole life he's been around and involved in great defenses.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Ok, I'll take apart what you said piece by piece..........

For starters he proved himself to be one hell of a defensive coach before even becoming a HC....

Yes, this is true but. Since becoming the Bengals head coach their defensive rankings are 28th, 19th and 28th.

Herm took an aging Jet squad as opposed to a young talent laden Bengals team to the playoffs in 3 of his first 4 years. Where as the Bengals defense got worse under Lewis, the Jets defense got better.

Herm had an aging back in Curtis Martin lead the NFL in rushing, imagine what he can do with Larry Johnson.

HemiEd
01-06-2006, 04:58 PM
So who was your choice?

Pretty consistent.

tk13
01-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Here's where the defenses Herm has coached and played for ranked.

23rd
4th
8th
14th
12th
7th
3rd
5th
2nd
9th
1st
7th
14th
13th
7th
5th

Secondary coach at San Jose State: Coached there three years, all three years his secondary allowed less than 50% completion percentage passing.

10th
14th
8th
19th
1st
1st
9th
5th
7th

25 years as an NFL player and coach, 18 top ten defenses.

NaptownChief
01-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Ok, I'll take apart what you said piece by piece..........

For starters he proved himself to be one hell of a defensive coach before even becoming a HC....

Yes, this is true but. Since becoming the Bengals head coach their defensive rankings are 28th, 19th and 28th.

Herm took an aging Jet squad as opposed to a young talent laden Bengals team to the playoffs in 3 of his first 4 years. Where as the Bengals defense got worse under Lewis, the Jets defense got better.

True on the Bengals defensive rankings....however yet to post a losing season even after taking over a 2-14 squad.

Not buying the "aging Jet squad"...Abraham was already a Pro Bowler in his second year, Ellis was a formidable starter, throw in Pennington, Coles, Moss, Lamont Jordan...they had a lot of youth making big contribution.

Mecca
01-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Ray Mickens, Donnie Abraham, Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones, Sam Cowart, Kevin Mawae, Jason Fabini, Curtis Martin, Richie Anderson, Aaron Beasley, Wayne Chrebet, Jumbo Elliot=aging.

What big contribution did Lamont Jordan make? The only year Moss made a contribution was 2003 when Pennington was injured and Vinny played, which goes back to my noodle arm comment.

Count Alex's Wins
01-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Herm is not a defensive genious.

If you think he's going to build a defense in KC, forget it right now.

He might HIRE someone that's responsible. That's the best we can hope for.

He tried to install the cover 2 in New York and failed. He then fired the defensive coordinator and brought in Donnie Henderson.

Herm has NEVER been a defensive coordinator.

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Here's where the defenses Herm has coached and played for ranked.

23rd
4th
8th
14th
12th
7th
3rd
5th
2nd
9th
1st
7th
14th
13th
7th
5th

Secondary coach at San Jose State: Coached there three years, all three years his secondary allowed less than 50% completion percentage passing.

10th
14th
8th
19th
1st
1st
9th
5th
7th

25 years as an NFL player and coach, 18 top ten defenses.

That's aggregate third-down conversion percentage, right?

tk13
01-06-2006, 05:18 PM
That's aggregate third-down conversion percentage, right?
On odd numbered days in the 3rd quarter, yes.

Gravedigger
01-06-2006, 05:35 PM
LOL you guys just need to stfu if your bashing herm your saying his five year tenure was just a 41-44 losing record thats cause it was with THE JETS! Jets have great defense but no offense your looking at a coach that is comin into a team where there is no crap ass chad pennington and no old Curtis Martin who is a mediocre back who will get his 1000 yards but is just consistent at doing so. Larry Johnson will clean up next year under Herm and our offense will be infinetly more productive than that so called "offense" of the jets. I say bring Herm on! Herm was smart as hell to leave that demolished team while he could and come here to a team that is set up to go to the playoffs and a few good additions to get to the Super Bowl. Herm isnt a flashy wide reciever coach hes a running backs kind of coach so in the draft I guarantee we go O line and D line with maybe our third rounder spent on a WR maybe

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 05:44 PM
On odd numbered days in the 3rd quarter, yes.

Well in that case, forget it. Bogus stat. Everyone knows the EVEN-NUMBERED days is a much better gauge. Nice try, but you can't fool me.

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2006, 05:47 PM
LOL you guys just need to stfu if your bashing herm your saying his five year tenure was just a 41-44 losing record thats cause it was with THE JETS! Jets have great defense but no offense your looking at a coach that is comin into a team where there is no crap ass chad pennington and no old Curtis Martin who is a mediocre back who will get his 1000 yards but is just consistent at doing so. Larry Johnson will clean up next year under Herm and our offense will be infinetly more productive than that so called "offense" of the jets. I say bring Herm on! Herm was smart as hell to leave that demolished team while he could and come here to a team that is set up to go to the playoffs and a few good additions to get to the Super Bowl. Herm isnt a flashy wide reciever coach hes a running backs kind of coach so in the draft I guarantee we go O line and D line with maybe our third rounder spent on a WR maybe

You just changed my mind. I'm so happy we got Herm, I soiled myself.

The Bad Guy
01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Herm is not a defensive genious.

If you think he's going to build a defense in KC, forget it right now.

He might HIRE someone that's responsible. That's the best we can hope for.

He tried to install the cover 2 in New York and failed. He then fired the defensive coordinator and brought in Donnie Henderson.

Herm has NEVER been a defensive coordinator.

You're right.

It's COMPLETELY out of the question for Herm to build a defense here.

Completely. Just get it out of your mind right now.

:rolleyes:

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 05:53 PM
I soiled myself.

Don't worry, we understand. It's perfectly normal for someone your age.

DaWolf
01-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Well while not my first choice, my hope is that Herm will be surrounded by a better organization here than in NY. It is also my hope that he has learned a few lessons in his 5 years there. Coaches grow too.

If he can come in here, garner the respect of LJ and make him the NFL MVP, get the damned ball to Gonzo, and make our defense play inspired football, I like our chances next year...

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Well while not my first choice, my hope is that Herm will be surrounded by a better organization here than in NY. It is also my hope that he has learned a few lessons in his 5 years there. Coaches grow too.

If he can come in here, garner the respect of LJ and make him the NFL MVP, get the damned ball to Gonzo, and make our defense play inspired football, I like our chances next year...

I just soiled myself again.

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I just soiled myself again.

http://daily206.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/depends.jpg

go bowe
01-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm convinced atleast half the board would be mad no matter who we hired. Alot of us as Chiefs fans are really really good at bitching and never being positive about anything. Sometimes the constant bitching to bitch stuff gets real old real fast.well shit...

quit yer bitchin already, woudja?

piss and moan piss and moan...

where's your optimism?

new coach, talented offense, improving defense (if herm doesn't f#ck with them too much)...

things are looking great...

so quit yer bitchin' about bitchin', willya? :p :p :p

nychief
01-06-2006, 06:35 PM

Marvin has not won a playoff game, Herm has advanced twice - isn't that what all you the herm bashers are bitching about? "Mediocre" "great four more years of martyocre football" "never win in the playoffs" or if you are gochief, "GERM stole my Hans solo figure!"

Make up your mind...

Count Alex's Wins
01-06-2006, 07:18 PM
You're right.

It's COMPLETELY out of the question for Herm to build a defense here.

Completely. Just get it out of your mind right now.

:rolleyes:

If you're looking for Herm to be the architect of a defense in KC, forget it. It won't happen.

Someone else will be the architect. He's never been a coordinator.

SLAG
01-06-2006, 07:44 PM
If you're looking for Herm to be the architect of a defense in KC, forget it. It won't happen.

Someone else will be the architect. He's never been a coordinator.

Not an Architect but maybe a Consultant