PDA

View Full Version : What should i do with my life??

KCJake
01-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Alright guys, I know we joke around on here a lot, but this is a serious question. I graduated from High School in 2000. I've been working at a dead-end job for the past 5 years. My life is going no where. The town I live in is going no where. Im ready for a change. Im tired of living in this tiny town in the middle of ID. I really need some guidance. What should I do? Go back to school? Move to a big city and find a better job? I have a close friend in Phoenix. What do you guys think? How difficult is it to find a decent paying job, in a fairly large city with no college education?

elvomito
01-06-2006, 09:00 PM
if you learn how to be a loan officer and excel at it, you can make $10k a month, but it is phone sales.
move to las vegas and do that

Miles
01-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Going back to school may be a way to get to a bigger city at the same time as making yourself more marketable. Obviously that depends a lot on your background and how your finances will work out with school.

ChiefsFire
01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
fighting....urge....to....make......smartass.....comment

Scorp
01-06-2006, 09:06 PM
You need a degree. If you are wanting the american dream you will never get it without a degree. Follow your passion............. If you enjoy what you do for a living the money will be icing on the cake.

Best advice I can give a young man.

ChiefsFire
01-06-2006, 09:06 PM
your young..go back to school

lot of good technical schools out there with acclerated degree programs...

Mr. Kotter
01-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Alright guys, I know we joke around on here a lot, but this is a serious question. I graduated from High School in 2000. I've been working at a dead-end job for the past 5 years. My life is going no where. The town I live in is going no where. Im ready for a change. Im tired of living in this tiny town in the middle of ID. I really need some guidance. What should I do? Go back to school? Move to a big city and find a better job? I have a close friend in Phoenix. What do you guys think? How difficult is it to find a decent paying job, in a fairly large city with no college education?

There are lots of jobs that pay pretty well in larger cities, especially if you are reliable and have a good work ethic. However, you'd be better served if you are at a position in life to go back to school that is your best course of action. If you aren't serious, studious, and willing to sacrifice financially, don't waste your time though.

If you've got a friend in Pheonix, with whom you are compatible.....maybe you could be roomates--although that's not always easy to determine in advance.

From the sound of your post, I think you owe it to yourself to at least try it...otherwise you may come to regret it down the road.

patteeu
01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
You didn't give us much to work with. What kind of work do you do now? What kind of experience do you have? What are you good at? What kinds of things do you like? What subjects were you good/bad at in school?

In general, try to think of where you want to be 10 years from now and take a step in that direction. Don't expect to hit a home run with your first swing of the bat. Expect to pay some dues or make some sacrifices in the near term in order to reap the rewards in the future.

nychief
01-06-2006, 09:09 PM
" Go back to school? Move to a big city and find a better job?"

YES, YES, YES.

Bearcat
01-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Going back to school may be a way to get to a bigger city at the same time as making yourself more marketable. Obviously that depends a lot on your background and how your finances will work out with school.

I agree with this.... go online, research schools, make phone calls, see what your chances are at college, community college, or a trade school... take out loans & let the government pay for it... if you have a reliable place to stay in Phoenix, that would be a great start.

Get a degree.

DTLB58
01-06-2006, 09:17 PM

Ironic post as I just got home from Barns and Noble with a book titled "48 days to the work you Love"

It comes highly recommended from finacial counselor Dave Ramsey.

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Phoenix is nice, if you don't mind living in a desert wasteland with nothing green anywhere and 100+ temps most of the year. Kind of funny, I'd like to get out of the city and live somewhere quiet like the middle of Idaho.

Bearcat
01-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Phoenix is nice, if you don't mind living in a desert wasteland with nothing green anywhere and 100+ temps most of the year. Kind of funny, I'd like to get out of the city and live somewhere quiet like the middle of Idaho.

Trouble finding a quiet place in Omaha? :spock:

:p

Bacon Cheeseburger
01-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Trouble finding a quiet place in Omaha? :spock:

:p

Odd as it may sound, yes. If I'm out sitting by the grill having a beer and some stupid crow keeps squawking overhead, I want to be able to pull out a shotgun and shoot it.

KCChiefsMan
01-06-2006, 09:40 PM
join american idol

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2006, 09:41 PM
/eagerly awaiting the first "Join the military; all of your problems will be fixed," post.

Mr. Kotter
01-06-2006, 09:47 PM
/eagerly awaiting the first "Join the military; all of your problems will be fixed," post.

He's too old for that....unless he wants to make it a career.

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2006, 09:48 PM
He's too old for that....unless he wants to make it a career.Eh, it was just a joke... wait, he's the same age as Quik, isn't he?

SLAG
01-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Depending on how much your town sucks, just save up $2500 and bounce. Find a cheap, crappy, month to month apartment live cheap buy some nice clothes. Look for a job.

You don't need a degree, just enroll at some community college and tell wherever you apply to that you are pursuing your degree. This will get your foot in the door. When you work there for a while you will have a better idea of what kind of education will help you need to go forward from there. Also, most companies re-imburse you for education. I have found, after a few months at my new job, that a lot of my bosses don't have conventional degrees. They have qualified through internal training and experience for higher positions. This resopnsibility and experience will not only help propel you at your current employer, but at future empoyers as well.

slag sucks

CanadianChief
01-06-2006, 09:50 PM
How about buying and selling stuff on Ebay? Plenty have made a killing off it. I know a guy who buys crap from yard sales and sells it on Ebay for 5 to 10 times the amount he buys it for.

SLAG
01-06-2006, 09:52 PM
How about buying and selling stuff on Ebay? Plenty have made a killing off it. I know a guy who buys crap from yard sales and sells it on Ebay for 5 to 10 times the amount he buys it for.

you are from winnipeg aren't you?

Halfcan
01-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Sell Real Estate-you can make big money if you can pass the test. Or go to college and edumacate yourself.

grandllama
01-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Odd as it may sound, yes. If I'm out sitting by the grill having a beer and some stupid crow keeps squawking overhead, I want to be able to pull out a shotgun and shoot it.

He's gonna be one of those city guys that moves to the country and then goes and bitches to the county council about the smells of the pig farm and all those heavy wheat / corn trucks that are disturbing his peace ROFL

harpes
01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Look I had to work my ass of for $50G a year and finally went back to school when I was 35 and now make a nice living doing something that I WANT to do. For the first time in many years I like going to work but I had to bust my butt to get there. Find out what you enjoy and then plan on working at being the best at it and I mean work at it and you can make $$$ and more importantly enjoy your life.

patteeu
01-06-2006, 09:58 PM
He's too old for that....unless he wants to make it a career.

No he's not. Pat Tillman was about his age when he joined up. He could do a lot worse than joining the military, that's for sure.

KCJake
01-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the idea's guys. I didn't get super good grades in high school. 2.50 grade average. Hopefully that won't hurt me down the road. It's certainly not going to help. I probably need to go back to school. Im just not sure what to go for? Im really not sure what I want to do. I like sports, weight training, diet/nutrition, that kind of thing. The job I have now is at Carquest. It's not going to take me anywhere. I have gained some decent people skills though. It really seems like Real Estate is the thing to do. I hear a lot about it.

luv
01-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the idea's guys. I didn't get super good grades in high school. 2.50 grade average. Hopefully that won't hurt me down the road. It's certainly not going to help. I probably need to go back to school. Im just not sure what to go for? Im really not sure what I want to do. I like sports, weight training, diet/nutrition, that kind of thing. The job I have now is at Carquest. It's not going to take me anywhere. I have gained some decent people skills though. It really seems like Real Estate is the thing to do. I hear a lot about it.
The longer you wait to go back to school, the greater the likelihood you won't go back. Trust me. I'm doing okay on my own now. Been with the same company for seven years. Had a few promotions. Springfield's not exactly a large city though. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

J Diddy
01-07-2006, 12:37 AM
The longer you wait to go back to school, the greater the likelihood you won't go back. Trust me. I'm doing okay on my own now. Been with the same company for seven years. Had a few promotions. Springfield's not exactly a large city though. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Keep bragging it up.:shake:

Logical
01-07-2006, 12:40 AM
I see two realistic possibilities

Education (college or vocational school)

Military (where you can learn a skill and possibly die occupying Iraq)

Rausch
01-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Enjoy it, no matter what.

Make decisions in your life that make you happy...

btlook1
01-07-2006, 12:41 AM
I'm still regretting going to college when I had the chance.....I still think maybe someday....I always tell these younger kids to go if they can! Just my 2cents!

Phobia
01-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Become a nutritionist and personal train - in vegas - for high rollers.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-07-2006, 12:50 AM
If you move to another city and plan to go to school with the help of financial aid here are a few tips. First off you have to establish residency in said state. Here in Washington it is 1 year. Probably similar across the board. From there, your grades in high school don't mean squat. Go to the college of your choice. (Obviously a 2 year school to start) and fill out a fafsa form. (Free Application for Student Aid) You can take out loans if you wish (you're preapproved) however beware you HAVE to pay them back as they are government backed. If not, the grants you will qualify for will pay your tuition and books. You may have to kick in some on supplies, and you will have to pay ALL your living expenses without loans by working. ANYONE can go back to school if they decide it's the right thing to do. However if you're going to have the government back you on it, make sure you're ready. You only get 1 shot. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

Logical
01-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Become a nutritionist and personal train - in vegas - for high rollers.Seriously if you are interested in Phobia's idea, I bet Big Daddy could give you ideas on how to accomplish such a goal.

Miles
01-07-2006, 12:58 AM

Sounds like it woundn't hurt to see what you can get on the SAT or ACT and go from there.

ChiefFripp
01-07-2006, 07:20 AM
A)Get a decent paying job like bartending. This will leave you with a decent cash flow and days for school if you'd like to go.
B)Move to Florida and pimp yourself out to retired woman.
C)get a B.C Rich guitar,learn the pentatonic scale and join a Kiss cover band.

I think those are the only realistic options.

ILChief
01-07-2006, 07:31 AM
can you cover wide receivres or tackle runningbacks????

nychief
01-07-2006, 07:37 AM
No he's not. Pat Tillman was about his age when he joined up. He could do a lot worse than joining the military, that's for sure.

True, he could also do a little better than, er, dead.

nychief
01-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Wait, I've got it. Do you have poor writing skills and no background in journalism? Are you a fan of a team who knows C++?

You join the throngs of online sports pundits!

wutamess
01-07-2006, 07:50 AM
I think it's the freaking winter that has everyone so depressed. Why all the down on my luck threads lately?

Can't wait for Spring.
Need to get out and get some fresh air.

CanadianChief
01-07-2006, 09:58 AM
you are from winnipeg aren't you?

Jackpot!!!

stevieray
01-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Live it.

Rain Man
01-07-2006, 10:06 AM

Personally, I think he should join the Chinese military. What a great way to build teamwork, learn a foreign language, and travel to an exotic place.

Calcountry
01-07-2006, 10:10 AM
if you learn how to be a loan officer and excel at it, you can make $10k a month, but it is phone sales.
move to las vegas and do thatSee the movie "boiler room" before applying.

KCJake
01-07-2006, 04:13 PM
You guys have a lot of different idea's. Wow, a little bit of everything.

SLAG02
That was a good suggestion. Save some cash and get out of here. Starting fresh somewhere else might be just what I need. Im going to do a lot of thinking over the next couple weeks.

luv
01-07-2006, 04:19 PM
I think it's the freaking winter that has everyone so depressed. Why all the down on my luck threads lately?

Can't wait for Spring.
Need to get out and get some fresh air.
And to think it's been another mild winter.

Bootlegged
01-07-2006, 04:24 PM
alcohol is pretty good. of all the problems to have, it ain't bad.

Count Zarth
01-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Join GERM WARFARE.

If you join now, you get a free avatar!

ChiefaRoo
01-07-2006, 04:49 PM
What is it in life that you are passionate about? What do you want to do?

Education is always good. However, you don't need it to become successful if you decide to go into business for yourself

picasso
01-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Go on an Alaska fishing boat. You work all the time for three month tours, don't get any tail except for the native whores when you pull in, but you save the money you make and realize that you like working in a deadend job.

ENDelt260
01-07-2006, 05:20 PM
You should become my prank monkey.

KCJake
01-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Go on an Alaska fishing boat. You work all the time for three month tours, don't get any tail except for the native whores when you pull in, but you save the money you make and realize that you like working in a deadend job.
I've heard those guys make BIG bank. Kinda seems like a shitty job though

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 05:32 PM
KCJake, what are your strengths?

Skip Towne
01-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Whatever you decide to do, learn a skill. You can get a degree and still not get a skill.

KCJake
01-07-2006, 05:52 PM
KCJake, what are your strengths?
Fairly smart. Maybe not book smart, but good street smarts. Tall, athletic, fairly good looking. Physically strong. 400lb bench, 450lb squat. Can dunk a basketball. I know a lot about cars, car parts. That's the job I have now. Although, I don't want to be a mechanic. Good communication skills. I can relate to a lot of different types of people. I can tell people what they want to hear. I know about the human body. How it works. How to build muscle. How to lose body fat. All around, im a pretty good "people person." I get along with just about everyone.

Weaknesses

Im afraid to "just do it." Never lived on my own. I've always had mom/dad around. Im kinda shy. Living on my own, in a new city, would be tough. Sooner or later im going to have to do it.

Bootlegged
01-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Fairly smart. Maybe not book smart, but good street smarts. Tall, athletic, fairly good looking. Physically strong. 400lb bench, 450lb squat. Can dunk a basketball. I know a lot about cars, car parts. That's the job I have now. Although, I don't want to be a mechanic. Good communication skills. I can relate to a lot of different types of people. I can tell people what they want to hear. I know about the human body. How it works. How to build muscle. How to lose body fat. All around, im a pretty good "people person." I get along with just about everyone.

Weaknesses

Im afraid to "just do it." Never lived on my own. I've always had mom/dad around. Im kinda shy. Living on my own, in a new city, would be tough. Sooner or later im going to have to do it.

Well, sell cars then. There are plenty of semi-successful, borderline competent car salesman.

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 05:59 PM

Okay, I see that the main part of your description is that you are a good communicator. first thing I would do is get into a public speaking course eithe community/junior college. Then start job shadowing area's concerning public speaking such as radio engineering, broadcasting, try to get a job at a news station, and see what you like.

4th and Long
01-07-2006, 06:08 PM
What Do You Want To Do With Your Life, Mister!!!?

http://www.apollopony.net/images/twisted_sister.jpg
I WANNA ROCK!!!!!!

Iowanian
01-07-2006, 09:30 PM
"superfly do or die...gung ho! gung Ho!"

Ari Chi3fs
01-07-2006, 09:41 PM
It comes highly recommended from finacial counselor Dave Ramsey.

ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Backup QBs make good money. So do strippers...

stumppy
01-07-2006, 10:17 PM
After reading your initial post and then the description you posted of yourself I was reminded an awful lot of myself as a young man.
Your situation and self description struck so close to home the only thing I could think of was how I could give you some very very good advice.

But, then again. Fugg ya, figure it out on your own. I had to.:evil:

Chiefs Pantalones
01-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Really, I would do whatever makes you happy. If going back to school does that for you, then do it. Don't be afraid of failure or success, chances are, you will be successful if you give it your all, and if you give it your all, there will be nothing to be afraid of because you know you're giving it your best. 99% of the time hard work=success.

One poster said "passion." That is the key. Go back to school (if what you're wanting to do requires that) or do something that you love doing, and you would do it even if you got paid $5 to do it a week, so to speak.

You sound like you have some good qualities. You'll be best served at going for and doing whatever your passion is, and that is up to you to find it. Don't let fear get in the way of your hopes and dreams. You know yourself better than anyone, so find out what it is you truly are about and love doing.