PDA

View Full Version : Why do people feel Solari will make a good OC

Logical
01-07-2006, 01:15 AM
Yes he is a great offensive line coach, but I am not seeing the link to great OC?

Vlad willing to listen.

Wallcrawler
01-07-2006, 01:18 AM
I read where someone posted that Solari was in on the design of the Chiefs rushing attack every week as well. Not 100% sure on that but it does make sense, considering he coached the line and knew what they did the best. In Vermiel's press conferences he always mentioned Solari doing a great job with the offensive line and the running game.

If this is true, Solari is a huge contributor to the success of Larry Johnson, and as a coordinator would know best how to utilize him to the best of his ability.

Phobia
01-07-2006, 01:19 AM
I don't know. If he was such a prime coordinator candidate why has he been stuck as the Chiefs line coach for 10 years? Wouldn't somebody have snatched him up by now?

tk13
01-07-2006, 01:26 AM
On the back wall of Al Saunders’ office at Arrowhead are row after row of thick binders. They represent the game plan for every one of the Chiefs games since he took over as offensive coordinator in 2001.

All of those game plan binders hold the 200 to 300 plays that the Chiefs had at the ready for that week’s opponent. How those plays and pages came together is the part of the secret of the team’s offensive success.

“When does it begin? I’m not sure it ever stops,” Saunders said of the game planning exercise. “When we go through our off-season work, when we go to training camp we are working on plays, sometimes with specific opponents in mind.

“Especially at this point with our team and how experienced the players and this coaching staff are in the system.”

It all comes down to this.

“We want more tools in our box than our opponent,” said Saunders. “We want tools to take advantage of every single thing we want to be able to do, and we want to be able to dictate that.”

The preparation of the tool box each week is based on the foundation of keeping the opponent guessing. The planning is compartmentalized, with different coaches handling different aspects of the scheme. Unlike many other teams, the Chiefs offensive staff does not meet as a group to discuss the game plan.

Offensive line coach Mike Solari is in charge of the running game, consulting with offensive line assistant Irv Eatman and running backs coach James Saxon. Saunders leads the planning of the passing game with quarterbacks coach Terry Shea and wide receivers coach Charlie Joiner. Tight ends coach Jason Verduzco works with both groups.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/07/22/gretz_21st_century_offense_part_3

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 01:26 AM
I read where someone posted that Solari was in on the design of the Chiefs rushing attack every week as well. Not 100% sure on that but it does make sense, considering he coached the line and knew what they did the best. In Vermiel's press conferences he always mentioned Solari doing a great job with the offensive line and the running game.

If this is true, Solari is a huge contributor to the success of Larry Johnson, and as a coordinator would know best how to utilize him to the best of his ability.

DING!!!! DING!!!!! DING!!!! We have a winner

tk13
01-07-2006, 01:29 AM
MONDAY/INFORMATION GATHERING

The day starts early for the coaching staff, as they breakdown the previous day’s game, give each player a grade and then meet as a group with Saunders at 8 a.m. to discuss the results. If it’s a “Victory Monday” after a successful Chiefs performance, the review ends after that meeting. If the team’s coming off a loss, then the coaches prepare for meeting with the players in late morning.

Win or lose, once the review is completed, attention shifts to the next opponent. Offensive assistant Bob Saunders prepares a scouting report highlighting elements like defensive tendencies and use of personnel. Individual coaches break down this information for their position or responsibility.

“It’s by computer, it’s by video, it’s by the telephone, it’s by whatever method might be available,” said Saunders. “Each coach works in his assigned area and position.”

With the Chiefs that breaks down this way: Saxon handles the red zone (inside the opponent’s 20-yard line) run game, Joiner the red zone pass game, Solari the run game and pass protections, Verduzco the two-minute offense, Shea third down passing and Eatman handles goal-line and short-yardage schemes.

“The result is that each guy becomes an expert in that area,” said Saunders. “There are only so many days, so many hours between games. This makes us more efficient.”

The themes the coaching staff zeroes in on are opponent’s scheme and personnel.

“What do they do, how do they do it and who do they use to do it, that’s the information we are trying to gather,” he said.

TUESDAY/THE PLAN COMES TOGETHER

The game plan for the running game is put together first, as the coaches involved meet with Solari. At 11 a.m., Solari and Saunders get together.

“Mike comes in with a skeleton of the running game, where the coaches think we can get an edge on the defense,” said Saunders. “Mike might say we should run this type of play and we go back and forth and put together the runs for the week.”

By 1 p.m. Saunders attention turns to the passing game and over two hours, Saunders and those coaches discuss the opponent, kick around ideas and narrow the scope of the game plan.

Two hours later, the discussions turns to what the Chiefs call “specials”: draws, screens, special plays, like a double-reverse pass, an end around, things of that nature.

When all that’s completed, the game plan gets typed up, drawn up and collated. Playbooks for the week are prepared and the plan is sent to the three quarterbacks.

WEDNESDAY/PRACTICE

The work on Tuesday creates what the Chiefs call their “mixdown” offense. That’s what is put into effect during Wednesday’s practice. After looking at the practice tape and a bite of dinner, Wednesday night is spent on the third-down scheme.

THURSDAY/PRACTICE

This day is a lot like Wednesday, with the offense working on third down situations in practices, while the staff works late into the night on the plan for the red area run and pass, goal line, short yardage and two minute offense.

FRIDAY/PRACTICE

Thursday night’s plan is played out on the field in Friday’s practice.

Once that’s put away, Saunders begins his personal process of putting together the pieces for the game. It includes coming up with 30 plays: 10 runs, 10 passes and 10 specials, designed for that game in particular.

“We have 200, 250, 300 plays in any given week,” Saunders said. “The 30 plays are distilled from that and kind of narrows the focus to get us started. Depending on game conditions, we’ll use those plays early in the game.”

SATURDAY/WALK-THROUGH

At Saturday morning’s offensive meeting, Saunders presents the 30 plays to the offense. If there is a walk-through practice on the field, the offense goes through these plays at a slow pace.

Game day comes and the process starts again

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/07/22/gretz_21st_century_offense_part_3

Logical
01-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Tight ends coach Jason Verduzco works with both groups.

Sounds like Jason Verduzco is responsible for our O's success he is the only one working both the passing and running game.

ROFL

Chiefnj
01-07-2006, 06:04 AM
So, it's all Solari's fault Johnson was inactive his first year. :rolleyes:

htismaqe
01-07-2006, 06:15 AM
So, it's all Solari's fault Johnson was inactive his first year. :rolleyes:

Who said that?

As for me, I've commented on this before:

I'm hoping Mike Solari gets a shot.

1) He knows this offense.

2) He's an offensive line coach, so he might have a better appreciation for doing what it takes to win games when you can't put up gawdy passing stats.

Chiefnj
01-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Who said that?

As for me, I've commented on this before:

I'm just making bullshit up. People are always speculating without knowing a thing - Gun wasn't allowed to bring in his own coordinator. It's all Al's fault that Johnson didn't play, Gun is playing his soft zone because of McLeon, etc.

I'm just in a foul mood because of the Edwards hiring.

Douche Baggins
01-07-2006, 06:23 AM
I'm just in a foul mood because of the Edwards hiring.

You should join GERM WARFARE. We all share the same avatar.

Pants
01-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Gochiefs, I hate to say it, but you're becoming an annoying little bitch.

BigRedChief
01-07-2006, 08:56 AM
OC should be AS if he doesn't get a head coaching job. Lamar needs to give him a big fat raise like they did for Gunther to get him back.

If AS gets a head coaching job then he will probably take Solari with him as the OC.

If both AS and Solari leave then it has to be Norv Turner.

BigRedChief
01-07-2006, 08:58 AM
You should join GERM WARFARE. We all share the same avatar.

Take it from a guy who was and is still pissed off at King Carl's drafting. Herm is going to be the next head coach of the Chiefs. He will be here until King Carl leaves in 4 years. It's the Herm era. Its not going to do you any good to stay pissed for 4 years.

redbrian
01-07-2006, 09:08 AM
OC should be AS if he doesn't get a head coaching job. Lamar needs to give him a big fat raise like they did for Gunther to get him back.

If AS gets a head coaching job then he will probably take Solari with him as the OC.

It may depend on where AS goes.
If offered the Chiefs OC spot or following AS to the Lions or Raiders, I think you would stay with the Chiefs, who have a real chance of making the playoffs next year.

KC Jones
01-07-2006, 09:27 AM
The blocking scheme and abilities of your line is a huge part of the offensive play calling. As long as they have an excellent WR coach and Trent Green, Solari would probably succeed in the role. I would think Solari's inexperience in evaluating an opponents secondary and how to use passing routes to attack a defense would be the only weakness he needs to cover.

milkman
01-07-2006, 09:33 AM

I'm pretty sure that Al has a lot more pride and sure as hell is a lot more intelligent than Gun.

He ain't coming back.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Gochiefs, I hate to say it, but you're becoming an annoying little bitch.
i completely disagree

1. he isn't becoming one, he's been one for a long,long time
2. i love saying it .

gochiefs is an annoying little bitch

see ... it's fun, try it!! :p

B_Ambuehl
01-07-2006, 09:38 AM
It was about 18 or 20 years ago but he does have a year of offensive coordinating experience at Pitt, I believe. The strength (or problem depending upon how you look at it) with offensive line coaches becoming offensive coordinators is they are usually former lineman...as former lineman they know firsthand the difference between pass blocking and run blocking and they definitely cater to their offensive line and try to keep them out of bad situations, thus they tend to run predictable, up the middle, up the middle, play action, punt, type offenses. Exceptions are guys like Andy Reid. I don't know for certain if Andy Reid is a former player, but I believe he is....how he could be a former offensive lineman and call as many passing plays as he does is beyond me.

But anyway, what will be hard to replace in Saunders is his creativity. This guy is probably the best in the NFL at keeping defenses off balance week to week and avoiding tendencies. KC's ~ 5 yards per carry rushing avg. is in no small part due to the unpredictability of the offense. Some people call it being "cute" or whatever. But that opens up multiple things in both the running and passing games respectively.

Douche Baggins
01-07-2006, 10:14 AM
xceptions are guys like Andy Reid. I don't know for certain if Andy Reid is a former player, but I believe he is....how he could be a former offensive lineman and call as many passing plays as he does is beyond me.

He was a tackle and a guard. Interesting indeed.

Also your post got me thinking so I checked out another lardass playcaller, but Tom Moore was a QB. :D

Calcountry
01-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Gochiefs, I hate to say it, but you're becoming an annoying little bitch.you just now figured that out?

Douche Baggins
01-07-2006, 10:24 AM
you just now figured that out?

Meanwhile Laz is a studious and well-read poster loved by all.

Calcountry
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Meanwhile Laz is a studious and well-read poster loved by all.Chiefie, I love you man.

There is no one on this board who works as hard as you at being loved by the board.

You do awesome work with the pictures, and other neat stuff that adds spice to the threads. I appreciate your presence here, not that my opinion matters for anything.

I also like giving you chit about the Texas Grangers in the offseason.

I was just giving you shit man.

Douche Baggins
01-07-2006, 11:47 AM
I was just giving you shit man.

I know. My comment was directed at Spazarus.

Douche Baggins
01-07-2006, 11:48 AM
By the way, his name is Kevin Millwood, and he's your worst nightmare!

Calcountry
01-07-2006, 11:56 AM
By the way, his name is Kevin Millwood, and he's your worst nightmare!why?

Douche Baggins
01-07-2006, 11:58 AM
why?

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_119154.jpg

Frankie
01-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Yes he is a great offensive line coach, but I am not seeing the link to great OC?

Vlad willing to listen.I think it falls more in the "why not" category.

1- There'll be a time when to keep his talents on the staff we need to satisfy him with a promotion.

2- It is smart to keep the great offensive system that we have. To do that we need an OC very familiar with it. Someone from our own staff. No one from our 'O' staff that I can think of has made a clear case for being better than Solari.

But then the question his how do you fill the O-line coach gap left by his promotion? My hope is that Irv Eatman has now advanced to near-Solari status and can take over the job. Maybe (ideally) assisted by Will Shields.

jjchieffan
09-22-2007, 02:42 PM
bump

Mr. Laz
09-22-2007, 02:51 PM
(Go)Chiefie, I love you man.

There is no one on this board who works as hard as you at being loved by the board.

You do awesome work with the pictures, and other neat stuff that adds spice to the threads. I appreciate your presence here, not that my opinion matters for anything.
ROFL

jjchieffan
09-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Come on people, take your lumps. If you wanted Solari then, but dont then I am calling you out.

Ari Chi3fs
09-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Its ironic that this thread was created exactly one year before the Chiefs playoff embarrassment in Indy. That was on the 7th of Jan, right?

KCChiefsMan
09-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Come on people, take your lumps. If you wanted Solari then, but dont then I am calling you out.

Congratulations! You have just informed us of a new scientific research find! Hindsight is 20/20!!! wow, who woulda thunk?

jjchieffan
09-22-2007, 05:04 PM
just having some fun. We all change our minds. Look at Gochiefs, ie. Germwarfare. All this anti-Solari talk just reminded me of the old threads.