PDA

View Full Version : Is this it for KU...........

chiefqueen
01-07-2006, 07:52 AM
KU currently has one of the longest streaks of consecutive NCAA tourney appearances. There RPI is currently 139. A loss to KY leaves them with no quality nonconference wins.

My thinling is KU must win today or they must win the Big XII tourney to keep their tourney streak alive. Even win a win the combination of KU's RPI and the RPIs of other BIG XII schools may not allow KU to get their RPI to where it needs to be to get an at-large bid.

Ari Chi3fs
01-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Kentucky is not that good... I think a light went on for the freshmen vs Yale... they seemed to finally click, albeit, Yale isnt necessarily a quality opponent...

Chalmers kicked it in, Robinson has emerged as a true point... I think KU wins handily.

BigVE
01-07-2006, 09:08 AM
NOT a must win by any means. KU could still come in the top 3 in the big 12, get 20 wins. All that being said I think we win by 10points or less today against an overrated Ky. team.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2006, 09:27 AM
not a must win .... but they must improve.

so far i haven't seen any indications that Bill Self could coach his way out of a wet paper bag. :(

it they improve, they make the tourney .... if they don't, nothing will get them into a tourney even a win today against kentucky.

ChiefsFanatic
01-07-2006, 09:29 AM
NOT a must win by any means. KU could still come in the top 3 in the big 12, get 20 wins. All that being said I think we win by 10points or less today against an overrated Ky. team.

I am a huge KU fan, but there is no way KU finishes in the top 3. Self is suffering from Greg Robinson syndrome. He is forcing the players to play his system, instead of adapting the system to his players.

What makes it worse, he recruited them. I think Self will do great things at KU, but not this year. He can't even figure out who should be getting minutes, and who shouldn't.

BigVE
01-07-2006, 09:38 AM
I am a huge KU fan, but there is no way KU finishes in the top 3. Self is suffering from Greg Robinson syndrome. He is forcing the players to play his system, instead of adapting the system to his players.

What makes it worse, he recruited them. I think Self will do great things at KU, but not this year. He can't even figure out who should be getting minutes, and who shouldn't.

Maybe. As for figuring out who gets the minutes...when you have that many young players who were recruited based on POTENTIAL and who are almost all playing at the same level (none really OUTstanding overall), it takes time to figure out what the best 5 are and which groups of guys play the best together. Right now I think that Kaun, Rush, Robinson, WRIGHT, Chalmers would be my starting five. Then you can relieve the guards with Hawkins/Vinson and you can bring in Giles for either Kaun or Wright. Downs is at the bottom of the list of freshman because of his bad practice habits. Case will keep getting more minutes if he keeps shooting the ball like has of late. My prediction is that Rush will be KEY in the KY game and that Case will hit some huge 3's to help us out.

the Talking Can
01-07-2006, 10:25 AM

you couldn't be more wrong....Self constantly adapts his system, he's basically scrapped the hi/low

anyways, KU looking good...Rush and Chlamers starting and playing well...

BigVE
01-07-2006, 10:32 AM
you couldn't be more wrong....Self constantly adapts his system, he's basically scrapped the hi/low

anyways, KU looking good...Rush and Chlamers starting and playing well...

Now YOU couldnt be more wrong...WATCH the game! Hi-lo is still an integral part of the offense.

the Talking Can
01-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Now YOU couldnt be more wrong...WATCH the game! Hi-lo is still an integral part of the offense.

self has talked about this...he runs some 4and 1, a lot of ball screens...he adapts to his players nad has said so...he is not stubborn...your point about Robinson is way off the mark

BigVE
01-07-2006, 10:42 AM
self has talked about this...he runs some 4and 1, a lot of ball screens...he adapts to his players nad has said so...he is not stubborn...your point about Robinson is way off the mark

Huh? What point about Robinson? I would agree that the Hi-lo is not the ONLY option of this offense anymore but Self has also shown and talked about guys not running the hi-lo ENOUGH and if guys dont try to get the ball inside they will be benched. The offense has evolved for sure.

Coach
01-07-2006, 10:48 AM
FYI, for those who are not able to see/hear the game,

35-14 KU lead, in the 1st half with 3:28 to go.

RP_McMurphy
01-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Tubby is in danger of getting fired. He survived because of Chuck Hayes for a extra four years but right now his lack of recruiting is showing.

AeroSquid
01-07-2006, 10:52 AM
this game is in danger of getting ugly. UK better wake up

ChiefsFire
01-07-2006, 10:56 AM
ashley judd looks horrible....

ArrowheadHawk
01-07-2006, 11:00 AM
the best thing about this game is the look on Ashley's face.....Welcome to Kansas!

the Talking Can
01-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Huh? What point about Robinson? I would agree that the Hi-lo is not the ONLY option of this offense anymore but Self has also shown and talked about guys not running the hi-lo ENOUGH and if guys dont try to get the ball inside they will be benched. The offense has evolved for sure.

sorry, I confused you with someone else...my bad

anyways, a good day to be a Hawk fan...the team is definetly getting better!

Rockchalk!

the Talking Can
01-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Ashley looks like she came off a 3 week coke bender...and UK has 0 assists...Rondo and Crawford are yelling at each other...I love it

ArrowheadHawk
01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
this isn't a must win they could play like crap all season and then win the big 12 tourney for an automatic bid so my answer is no

chiefqueen
01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
the best thing about this game is the look on Ashley's face.....Welcome to Kansas!

Please be nice to Ashley after the game..............tell her she needs to go SOUTH on I-435 when turning off I-70 to get to the airport.;)

Mr. Laz
01-07-2006, 11:12 AM
best half of B-Ball under self that i've seen so far :clap:

i really,really hope this is a sign that KU is finally going to find some kind of identity.

ArrowheadHawk
01-07-2006, 11:13 AM
best half of B-Ball under self that i've seen so far :clap:

i really,really hope this is a sign that KU is finally going to find some kind of identity.
we have an identity....

tough defence spotty offence

BigVE
01-07-2006, 11:19 AM
One of the main keys to this game is the aggresiveness of Rush. Our D has been good all year long but its even better when they cant make a shot!

Mr. Laz
01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Our D has been good all year long but its even better when they cant make a shot!
heh

Ari Chi3fs
01-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Kentucky is not that good... I think a light went on for the freshmen vs Yale... they seemed to finally click, albeit, Yale isnt necessarily a quality opponent...

Chalmers kicked it in, Robinson has emerged as a true point... I think KU wins handily.

I rock the chalk.

ArrowheadHawk
01-07-2006, 12:03 PM
well ku wins does this mean we are going to the tourney

Mr. Laz
01-07-2006, 12:10 PM
hehe ... nah, this game didn't mean much about the tourney imo

it's all about whether they can continue with the energy and attitude they showed today. If they can then they will make the tourney regardless.

ArrowheadHawk
01-07-2006, 12:13 PM
hehe ... nah, this game didn't mean much about the tourney imo

it's all about whether they can continue with the energy and attitude they showed today. If they can then they will make the tourney regardless.
i think the big 12 better watch out i think we could beat anybody on any day but i also think we could get beat by a nobody on a bad day

Dunit35
01-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Please be nice to Ashley after the game..............tell her she needs to go SOUTH on I-435 when turning off I-70 to get to the airport.;)

Id tell her where I live, she still is extremly hot.

Bearcat
01-07-2006, 02:27 PM
so far i haven't seen any indications that Bill Self could coach his way out of a wet paper bag. :(

Haha.

Self is suffering from Greg Robinson syndrome. He is forcing the players to play his system, instead of adapting the system to his players.

I've had a lot of mixed emotions about the guy ever since he said "we will run, because that's what you do in the Big 12" right after being hired. I had visions of a team that could play defense, but still run, even if it wasn't as much as Roy's teams.

I haven't been able to watch much this season, but that said, I did see a difference today against Kentucky. Yes, there were a few times KU tried forcing the hi-lo, but it wasn't the turnover-fest I've seen before. Sure, Kentucky isn't that good, but it's not like they were putting together complete games against the bad teams. They've been shooting ~50% this season (while still leading the nation in fg% against), which has to be better than where they were last year.

On another note.... I've never liked Patrick Sparks, so I found it funny ESPN mentioned multiple times how the guy is useless if he's not hitting threes :)

KCChiefsMan
01-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I slept through the damn game! I was a little too hung over to get up and watch it, but it was a nice surprise when I woke up! Rock Chalk Jayhawk baby!

Bowser
01-07-2006, 03:47 PM

There's a Bucknell for every Kentucky out there.

:D

Tactical Funky
01-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Wow, Nebraska beat Oklahoma by a point.

ROYC75
01-07-2006, 04:54 PM
My In Laws are very sore about this game. I had my KU shirt on when I went to Walmart after the game and got alot of pissy looks. :D

Bearcat
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
My In Laws are very sore about this game. I had my KU shirt on when I went to Walmart after the game and got alot of pissy looks. :D

I remember all the revenge talk... I believe there was even a UK fan here not too long ago talking about how we were going to regret last year :)

DJJasonp
01-07-2006, 09:30 PM

Tell that to Aaron Miles, Keith Langford, Wayne Simien.

Self didnt adapt to their style of play one bit....instead, he tried to force his will upon those guys and the response was a sloppy-run offfense.

We went from being one of the highest scoring teams in the country (up tempo) to a team that scored 70 a game. Granted, Hinrich and Collison left, but Langford, Miles, and Simien were more suited for that style of play, rather than hi-lo.

Self ruined a great opportunity last year with a senior class that we may never see again at KU because he couldnt "adapt" to the strengths of the players he had. Those first two years was not the appropriate time to have a battle of wills with his players. This year (with all those Self recruits) was the time to start fresh.

The jury is still out....great recruiter....x and o coach? Remains to be seen.

Boyceofsummer
01-07-2006, 10:42 PM

Self didnt adapt to their style of play one bit....instead, he tried to force his will upon those guys and the response was a sloppy-run offfense.

We went from being one of the highest scoring teams in the country (up tempo) to a team that scored 70 a game. Granted, Hinrich and Collison left, but Langford, Miles, and Simien were more suited for that style of play, rather than hi-lo.

Self ruined a great opportunity last year with a senior class that we may never see again at KU because he couldnt "adapt" to the strengths of the players he had. Those first two years was not the appropriate time to have a battle of wills with his players. This year (with all those Self recruits) was the time to start fresh.

Last years KU team was lazy and at times un-coachable. Simien was the leader but was unable to get the rest of the seniors to buy into the new coaching staff. They thought that they could just show-up and be successful. I feel sorry for Simien because he was an outstanding college athlete and a great guy. Some of his teammates let him down with their lack of urgency.

greenisgod10
01-07-2006, 11:21 PM
KU will make the tourney, but most likely as a 10-12 seed. The domination of UK was nice though. They will be hard to stop in the next few years, and might turn a few heads in the tourney this year...sweet 16

DJJasonp
01-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Last years KU team was lazy and at times un-coachable. Simien was the leader but was unable to get the rest of the seniors to buy into the new coaching staff. They thought that they could just show-up and be successful. I feel sorry for Simien because he was an outstanding college athlete and a great guy. Some of his teammates let him down with their lack of urgency.

I agree with a lot of that....

I just think that Self tried to force his offense down the teams' throats and didnt adapt to the style of play that suited them best.

You're absolutely right, many times Simien was the only one to "show up".....I'm sure there's a lot more to the story of last season that we'll ever know.

Ultra Peanut
01-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Nice win. Kentucky's not particularly strong this year, but you guys did what was necessary and blew the doors off of them.

the Talking Can
01-08-2006, 05:15 AM

ROFL

we couldn't score last year because Kirk and Collison were gone...we had 1 guy that could score: Simien....we had NO ONE who could consistently hit a jump shot...Langford's knee was wrecked....KU fans like you wanted us to "Run" when only Miles could handle the ball...Self didn't even play his freshman because he didn't want to "upset" our primadonna Seniors...Langford was openly disrespectful to Self in practice and Giddens (who couldn't dribble or shoot) hated Langford...they all hated Simien for being a bible thumper...great recipe for success there, huh?

Skip Towne
01-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Of course we'll make the Dance. They can't hold the tournament without us. It's illegal.