PDA

View Full Version : How much more $$$ does Edwards bring in for Lamar vs low profile coach like Saunders?

B_Ambuehl
01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have any knowledge on team revenues etc? I was just doing a little mental masturbation and questioning on how, with all things being equal including wins and losses etc., how much more is a high profile coach worth to the bottom line of a team when compared to some unknown. I'm sure this has been looked at before.

With the "internal" reasoning and reality of most businesses and organizations being different then what they want the public to perceive, I'm just wondering how much of all of this is business related:

1. Carl to public: We need someone who we can win with. We're gonna go with the coach that gives us the best opportunity to win.

2. Lamar to Carl: We need someone with a profile that can compete with Vermeil so that we won't lose the xx million $$ that we brought in from that high profile coaching factor the last few years.

3. Carl to Al: You know how this business works. We need a recognizable name at the top or we stand to lose XXX amount of $$$ next year, but we want you here. Lamar has cleared me to match any offer you get so go interview, get your offers, and we'll meet up later.

nychief
01-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Lamar is going to make a fortune on Herm Edwards Bobbleheads, you nailed it.

redbrian
01-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Ok this begs the question, why is it bad for a sports team to make money?

Is this a blue collar white collar thing, a union boss thing or a haves and have not question?

It always puzzles me when fans scream at the teams to quit being cheap and just pay the player and his agent what ever they want.

Then turn around in the next breath and scream when the management raises ticket prices to meet escalating expenses and maintain a healthy profit margin.

stevieray
01-07-2006, 11:15 AM

Is this a blue collar white collar thing, a union boss thing or a haves and have not question?

It always puzzles me when fans scream at the teams to quit being cheap and just pay the player and his agent what ever they want.

Then turn around in the next breath and scream when the management raises ticket prices to meet escalating expenses and maintain a healthy profit margin.

:clap:

Woodrow Call
01-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I dont see a lot of teams tripping over themselves to hire Saunders.

IMO the Chiefs were the #1 job opening this offseason and the Chiefs got the #1 coach that was available. Money had nothing to do with it.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2006, 11:18 AM

IMO the Chiefs were the #1 job opening this offseason and the Chiefs got the #1 coach that was available. Money had nothing to do with it.

Ding. Ding. We have a winner.

redbrian
01-07-2006, 11:25 AM

I have to agree with this, after looking at the paper this morning I'm not so sure that Saunders is a lock for a head coaching job this year.

Unlike a certian unnamed enternet fan source, I don't think Al is in the number 1 slot for any team right now.

I think it plays well for the Chiefs to let Al test the water.

nychief
01-07-2006, 11:26 AM
He might get the Raiders job - Al Davis is senile.

redbrian
01-07-2006, 11:28 AM
He might get the Raiders job - Al Davis is senile.

Would anyone in their right mind go to work for that guy?

Davis is noted for messing with his head coaches, do you think AS would want to put himself in that position?

If the Chiefs were the top coaching job, the faiders are the bottom.

B_Ambuehl
01-07-2006, 11:31 AM

Oh not at all. I think it's perfectly fine for a business to make money just like I think it's perfectly fine for a governement or politician to do what they need to do to properly run their country. I just wish they would promote the real reasons instead of excuses.

nychief
01-07-2006, 11:32 AM
They already have a sold out stadium - they are not hiring H.E. to sell more tickets. It is an absurd notion.

redbrian
01-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh not at all. I think it's perfectly fine for a business to make money just like I think it's perfectly fine for a governement or politician to do what they need to do to properly run their country. I just wish they would promote the real reasons instead of excuses.

Not following you on that one, but the reason for hiring Edwards is to shore up the defense (one of 2 weaknesses on this team, the other and the one needing more work is special teams).

milkman
Does anyone have any knowledge on team revenues etc? I was just doing a little mental masturbation and questioning on how, with all things being equal including wins and losses etc., how much more is a high profile coach worth to the bottom line of a team when compared to some unknown. I'm sure this has been looked at before.

With the "internal" reasoning and reality of most businesses and organizations being different then what they want the public to perceive, I'm just wondering how much of all of this is business related:

1. Carl to public: We need someone who we can win with. We're gonna go with the coach that gives us the best opportunity to win.

2. Lamar to Carl: We need someone with a profile that can compete with Vermeil so that we won't lose the xx million $$ that we brought in from that high profile coaching factor the last few years.

3. Carl to Al: You know how this business works. We need a recognizable name at the top or we stand to lose XXX amount of $$$ next year, but we want you here. Lamar has cleared me to match any offer you get so go interview, get your offers, and we'll meet up later.

4. Al to Carl: Go **** yourself.

B_Ambuehl
Well that's why I asked if anyone had any good knowledge on NFL team revenues. I know the stadium is sold out but doesn't having a high profile coach bring in plenty of other forms of revenue?

nascher
01-07-2006, 11:53 AM
i am not so sure if AS gets a HC job at all.

pr_capone
01-07-2006, 01:03 PM

If that is the case... does KC wait to for AS to go through the interview process before deciding who the new OC will be?

KChiefs1
01-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I can't wait to see what "high profile" assistant coaches start interviewing for OC & DC. How much $$$$ do you think Norv Turner would put in Lamar's pocket? I bet Dom Capers could buy Lamar a nice meal at Jack Stack!

milkman
01-07-2006, 03:16 PM

He may not get a HC job, but he won't come back to KC as OC.

Chiefnj
01-07-2006, 03:17 PM
A high profile coach in KC doesn't mean a thing. Only in a place like Arizona or Jax would it matter because they don't sell out. Maybe a Parcells could sell a few more tickets for them.

jspchief
01-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Can someone explain exactly how a "high profile" HC will make the team more money? Pretend I'm stupid, and give me specifics.

Coaches don't sell tickets. Winning does. A low profile coach that makes the Chiefs great will be just as profitable as a high profile coach that makes the team great. A high profile coach that sucks will cost the team money, etc, etc, etc. Never in my life have I heard of someone becoming a fan or a season ticket holder because of a coach.

The notion that the front office would pass on a better candidate simply for a name is absurd. Carl Peterson wants to win games too.

Chiefnj
01-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Can someone explain exactly how a "high profile" HC will make the team more money? Pretend I'm stupid, and give me specifics.

Coaches don't sell tickets. Winning does. A low profile coach that makes the Chiefs great will be just as profitable as a high profile coach that makes the team great. A high profile coach that sucks will cost the team money, etc, etc, etc. Never in my life have I heard of someone becoming a fan or a season ticket holder because of a coach.

The notion that the front office would pass on a better candidate simply for a name is absurd. Carl Peterson wants to win games too.

I think the example I gave is plausible. If you have a team that doesn't ordinarily sell out signing a big name coach might sell some more season tickets. I don't think it would matter to 80% of the teams in the league though, including KC.

Logical
01-07-2006, 05:00 PM
In fairness probably none. The seats are already full, the only way one makes a difference over the other is if one starts losing so much the seats quit selling. There is no market in HC merchandising.

Logical
01-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Oh not at all. I think it's perfectly fine for a business to make money just like I think it's perfectly fine for a governement or politician to do what they need to do to properly run their country. I just wish they would promote the real reasons instead of excuses.I don't expect Carl to hide that his personal experience/relationship with Herm had much to do with this hiring.