PDA

View Full Version : PC with TV Tuner! Best thing evar!

Ari Chi3fs
01-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Man, I recently got a ATI 9800 All in Wonder Video Card... Im able to watch TV on my PC, on a window that is 3/4 of my screen... at about 60% opacity.

It really makes the internet posting sports watching thing an incredible experience. I recommend it.

JBucc
01-07-2006, 02:38 PM
my computer's right next to my tv so I don't need to

Ari Chi3fs
01-07-2006, 02:40 PM
yeah, but you have to turn your head... heh. Plus its Tivo, and I can screen cap anything.

Bearcat
01-07-2006, 02:41 PM
yeah, but you have to turn your head...

ROFL

jspchief
01-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Could you run a second monitor?

OldTownChief
01-07-2006, 03:15 PM
yeah, but you have to turn your head...

I wonder if Bartee knows about this technology.

Ari Chi3fs
01-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Could you run a second monitor?

yes, I can also run a second monitor... :-)

Rain Man
01-07-2006, 03:35 PM
This is the most overdue technological innovation on the planet.

Baby Lee
01-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Been rocking the AIW since the mid-90s.
Now, if you want your mind blown, get an HDTV wonder, and get recordable OTA HDTV on your PC.

Ari Chi3fs
01-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Been rocking the AIW since the mid-90s.
Now, if you want your mind blown, get an HDTV wonder, and get recordable OTA HDTV on your PC.

Whats teh ballpark fee on that badboy?

Dave Lane
01-07-2006, 04:35 PM
This is the most overdue technological innovation on the planet.

Its been around a long time I have one computer on a 26" LCD Display and the other on a 30" LCD. GF has a 37" LCD on hers. Add Windows Media Center XP to your box then you can go wow!

Dave

BigMeatballDave
01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
ROFL

Count Zarth
01-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Its been around a long time I have one computer on a 26" LCD Display and the other on a 30" LCD. GF has a 37" LCD on hers. Add Windows Media Center XP to your box then you can go wow!

Dave

Good lord, Dave.

Take some pics, I wanna see that.

AeroSquid
01-07-2006, 05:34 PM
pc with 7800GTX and 3ghz Opteron >*

I have a time warner hd dvr for recording tv shows ;)

meStevo
01-07-2006, 05:39 PM
ATI HDTV is $100-200 at Frys, goes on sale for time to time. Worth every penny if you get it working, it can be kinda finnicky. I moved out of range of the HD stations in Vegas however, i need a medium sized outdoor antenna which isnt going to happen at my apartment.

You can see what you need antenna-wise here:

http://antennaweb.org

The HDTV Wonder comes with a RF remote and a short range directional antenna (Silver Sensor).

Wasp
01-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Or just plug your HD cable box into your PC with a $10 firewire cable.

I have the ATI HDTVWonder, and hate it. I could only get one HD channel at a time, without moving the antenna, and never could get FOX at all.

Using the firewire, I get all the HD channels, and can 'TIVO' and record HD with SageTV.

Frankie
01-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Man, I recently got a ATI 9800 All in Wonder Video Card... Im able to watch TV on my PC, on a window that is 3/4 of my screen... at about 60% opacity.

It really makes the internet posting sports watching thing an incredible experience. I recommend it.Wow, small world. My son got me this for X-Mas and installed it on my computer. I worked when he tested it. But coupla days ago, after he went home I wanted to try it. The PC klutz that I am, I couldn't get it going. Also the cable tech support told me that I won't be able to get the digital channels. Is he full of it? My son thinks so. He will look at it next time he visits. :rolleyes:

Next question: Can I download a TV show episode and burn it onto DVD off my HD? This was the whole reason I wanted this in the first place.

Guru
01-07-2006, 08:00 PM

Now that is priceless. ROFLROFL

Baby Lee
01-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Wow, small world. My son got me this for X-Mas and installed it on my computer. I worked when he tested it. But coupla days ago, after he went home I wanted to try it. The PC klutz that I am, I couldn't get it going. Also the cable tech support told me that I won't be able to get the digital channels. Is he full of it? My son thinks so. He will look at it next time he visits. :rolleyes:

Next question: Can I download a TV show episode and burn it onto DVD off my HD? This was the whole reason I wanted this in the first place.
The All in Wonder is an analog tuner. So yes, you won't get digital channels.
So long as the govt keeps broadcast flags [copyright protection embedded in the signal], you can burn TV shows to DVD.

Baby Lee
01-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Or just plug your HD cable box into your PC with a $10 firewire cable.

I have the ATI HDTVWonder, and hate it. I could only get one HD channel at a time, without moving the antenna, and never could get FOX at all.

Using the firewire, I get all the HD channels, and can 'TIVO' and record HD with SageTV.
If you have a box with firewire, which I don't.
Sorry you don't get the channels. I got everything in the area with my silver sensor just hanging out the window. w/my HD satellite box, I went ahead and got a roof mount antenna, and it's all good for HD throughout the house.

Stryker
01-08-2006, 09:12 AM

Dave

Yeah, I am doing the same thing. You can rewind TV and record TV just like a Tivo. I have all the playoff games from last year recorded. It rocks!

gblowfish
01-08-2006, 09:15 AM
I have an ATI VR128 in my Mac B&W G3. They wound't suuport the upgrade to OSX, so when I upgraded my OS, it stopped supporting TV input. It still works as a video card to drive a 2nd monitor.

Best thing about it is doing still captures of video. That's always fun.

NUMBER7
01-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I have an ATI VR128 in my Mac B&W G3. They wound't suuport the upgrade to OSX, so when I upgraded my OS, it stopped supporting TV input. It still works as a video card to drive a 2nd monitor.

Best thing about it is doing still captures of video. That's always fun.

The AverMedia PC capture card is a great little capture card for a laptop. I have it installed on my laptop and am transmitting the Direct TV signal wirelessly via a Radio Shack wireless sender and receiver. I was able to record the Jags/Patriots game in stereo MPEG 2 format. I take this card with me when I travel. On sale now for $69.99 at
http://www.aver.com/2005home/wheretobuy/estore/estore_holiday.shtml

DRU
01-08-2006, 11:50 AM
The All in Wonder is an analog tuner. So yes, you won't get digital channels.
So long as the govt keeps broadcast flags [copyright protection embedded in the signal], you can burn TV shows to DVD.

This is true, but the card does have an S-Video input that you can use to connect your box to the computer. Then you can watch any channel you want through it. The downfall with this method is that you can't use the TIVO-like features to their fullest, because w/o an IR receiver connecting everything as well, the computer can't change the channel on your cable box. This has hurt me a couple of times recording the Chiefs games because I scheduled the record the night before and forgot to make sure the cable box was on the correct channel before heading out to the game. Doh!